Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FEJ Announcement

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FEJ Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:04 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FEJ Announcement

ORIGINAL: rexman

I lost my Hawk about 6 months ago due to horizontal stab flutter which led to complete failure of the stab and ultimately total destruction of my airplane. This was all caught on video and later investigation revealed major faults in the internal structure of the horizontal stab. I brought my findings to FEJ and made suggestions and later on asked for a follow up as to how they have corrected the problem and I got no response on that. It was later agreed that they would replace the Hawk and again I asked for details as to how they fixed the problem with no response to my question. After making further enquiries about when to expect the airplane, I got an email from FEJ stating that the airplane would be shipped on the 17th of May. About 2 weeks later, I still did not get the airplane and sent another email making an enquiry. They replied saying that airplane is in final stage of production. Today is the 16th of July and I will not make any further enquiries about the airplane.

Rex, I completely understand what you are saying, but when FEJ does stuff like this to not only one person, but many people, I can certainly also understand why exactly this happens. People are angry and tired of being lied to. I am very surprised that FEJ is loosing another Hawk to stab failure. It means that they are not listening to us and shows how much they care. We spend lots of money on not only the airframe but everything else that goes into it, so we depend highly on the airframe manufacturer to not only deliver our jets but we want most importantly a safe airframe. I lost well over 10 gran in that crash and I was very extremely lucky to not have been injured as the jet crashed just meters away from me.

FEJ has big potential, but they need slow down, start listening and taking positive action.
This is very unfortunate and disappointing to read. I know the risk you are taking in not getting anything from FEJ because you are speaking out.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:11 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is/was the total of meters away from you?????Just asking....
Old 07-15-2013, 12:19 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: gjhinshaw

+1 Flying SCALE is the Best I think... And practice SCALE landings AND Take-offs!! That's what I like to see!! Anyone can hot-dog, BUT a true pilot can take-off, fly around, and land doing it ALL SCALE!!!
ORIGINAL: Wap4life

I fly all my jets that way, like a ''trainer''. When my f14 is ready to fly, i will fly it they way i want to fly it. Some may say i fly it like a trainer, but i fly my jet they way i fly my jet smooth and nice.

Thats the great thing about this hobby. I fly my jets they way i want to and others can fly there jet the way they want to.

Gary,

"ALL SCALE" could also include ACM (Air Combat Manuervering) as well as Demo routine flight manuevers ie hi-speed "Break" turns, minimum radius turns, high alpha slow flight, Inverted flight etc . Though it might not be your preference, any pilot who chose to fly his jet in that style would also be described as flying ALL SCALE. The only questions would be if #1 If the pilot had the skill to complete the manuevers and #2 if the aircraft had the structural integrity to complete those same manuevers. Put the two of them together and you have a great show. Omit either one, and disaster awaits.

David S

Those who might like to see an example of F-14 "ALL SCALE" flight can refer to YouTube video: NAS Oceana AirShow 2005 F-14 TomCat Demo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwRx4XceGg
Old 07-15-2013, 12:38 PM
dubd

I am an avid enthusiast of military aviation and tactics and thus try and base my flying on the capabilities (within reason) of the full scale jet. I carefully study demonstration videos and put together a flight plan for each plane. After owning/flying over a dozen large jets, I have yet to encounter a failure until my F-14. I am by no means the best pilot, but I spent many years competing in IMAC and I feel comfortable saying I am far from a noob.

Ironically, David Searles warned me that my style of flying and the FEJ F-14 may not end well.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:40 PM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Rexman...cool name

What were your suggestions to them? Just wondering because I began a build on one that received a new stab construction design because of a stab failure (I think was yours since it matches about that time). Just wondering if they did some of what you suggested. Here is what they did with the newer ones...added a layer of AC Ply to the structure of the Servo Deck so the servo's had a stronger base to hold the screws and not have to run the servo screws all the way through the thick deck, down to where the pipe comes through the tail. Also, they lengthened the CF "H" bridge to run further into each side of the stabs. I also noticed metal flakes when I drilled through the "H" Bridge, which shows they put an metal core in the Bridge.

I understand and agree completely on the waiting thing...we are all waiting!!!

Rex
Old 07-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am considering a new jet model, and stumbled across the firestorm of recent FEJ posts. To say I'm shocked and saddened to see a manufacturer behave this way is an understatement!

Apparently some people think "Scale Flight" means easy racetrack patterns only. Perhaps "gentle trainer-like flight" would be more appropriate?

If that's the way you want to fly your birds, so be it. But to be condescending to others and claim "That's how good pilots do it" is disingenuous at best. The fact is as a manufacturer they have a responsibility to ensure their designs are safe enough to be flown as the pilot wishes to. If a model (especially a jet model!!!) can't handle anything other than gentle circuits, then the manufacture needs to place a disclaimer on said product. These jets are obviously rushed to market without adequate testing, or even the simple consideration for the safety of their fellow modeler. That is truly scary!

Suffice it to say, I will spend my money elsewhere.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:49 PM
rexman

I would say approximately 10 meters
Old 07-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rexman

I would say approximately 10 meters
Considering the speed at which a jet travels (even if it were 40mph), 10 meters would be less than a second away from getting hit. So that's too close for comfort.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Wap4life
My Feedback: (3)

I really don't think there is any question.  Just because i don't fly 200 mph doing a knife edge doesn't mean i can't fly.  Also i really don't care what the real jet can do versus my model jet. 

That's the good thing for me about this hobby, I can fly my jet any style i choose.  I buy and fly my jet for me.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I think the reason FEJ always fly their jets slow is because they know their jets can't sustain faster flight. So they wait for the unwitting customer to fly it faster than 130mph and it breaks up in the air. Then they offer a "good deal" for the replacement!

It's like claiming to build a race car, but refusing to drive / demo it at speeds greater than 50 mph. All the while still hoping the customer doesn't figure it out, and is foolish enough to buy it.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A manufacture only has to build a plane that would withstand the G forced of scale flying.
Some people have absolutely no idea of how much G forces they pull in Aerobatic and normal flights. I have seen pilots say they fly scale and watched how they fly. Lucky for them as if they where in that plane they would have there inside ripped out with the huge G turns they where pulling. All scale planes of all sorts have limitations and guide lines of the G forces they can take and even Fighter Jet pilots take precautions on the limitations of there Jets when flying at high speeds.
Im not a Fly Eagle rep or lover either as a matter of fact don't even own a FEJ plane but you have to be realistic of your expectations from all our model jets. Scale flying a model jet is not flying it at 250km + and pulling 8 G in a turn and wondering why the wings folded.

Ivan
Old 07-15-2013, 01:34 PM
dubd

ORIGINAL: Justflying1
Scale flying a model jet is not flying it at 250km + and pulling 8 G in a turn and wondering why the wings folded.
Ivan
Good things wings are not folding... but currently doing 125 mph straight and level is blowing tails off.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:40 PM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Justflying1

A manufacture only has to build a plane that would withstand the G forced of scale flying.
Some people have absolutely no idea of how much G forces they pull in Aerobatic and normal flights. I have seen pilots say they fly scale and watched how they fly. Lucky for them as if they where in that plane they would have there inside ripped out with the huge G turns they where pulling. All scale planes of all sorts have limitations and guide lines of the G forces they can take and even Fighter Jet pilots take precautions on the limitations of there Jets when flying at high speeds.
Im not a Fly Eagle rep or lover either as a matter of fact don't even own a FEJ plane but you have to be realistic of your expectations from all our model jets. Scale flying a model jet is not flying it at 250km + and pulling 8 G in a turn and wondering why the wings folded.

Ivan
Flutter is speed dependent. G's are G's regardless of speed.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:56 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

All sorts of fail in this thread.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:55 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)