Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba SBUS2 telemetry, JetCat ECU, IAS and AoA indicator/warning, autothrottle and datalogger

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba SBUS2 telemetry, JetCat ECU, IAS and AoA indicator/warning, autothrottle and datalogger

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 06:01 PM
rbenito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Carsten, I have the ASSI running on a Jetcat P80 and it works nice. Now I am trying to get it working on a Kingtech K80. I received a Xicoy "Telemetry1" adapter today but I'm confused on how to do its setup. Should I use JETI, MULTIPLEX or FUTABA on it? Any other parameters to be set? Could you pease help me on this configuration? Thanks a lot!!!
Old 05-18-2014, 10:08 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry guys,
I have been away for 3 days at a big jet meeting here in Denmark without (too much) internet connection

@Anurag, I'm afraid not You will need the 14SG or the 18MZ in order to use it (the transmitter must use FASSTest)
@jcsotto, I have been looking at the Jeti protocol already, but due to lack of time I have not done anything yet (and also the fact that I don't have any Jeti equipment )
@Dave, I think that the EGT is a quick and good indicator of a flameout ? I think it will go down very fast if shutting down in the air?
@rbenito, you connect the Xicoy adapter to the ECU, and the ASSI device to the Xicoy adapter. If in doubt, please give Gaspar an email and he will sort you out !
Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 AM
rbenito

Thank you Carsten. I tryed Gaspar, still don't have an answwer. Anyway I know how to program the Xicoy Telemetry1 Adapter. What I am needing to know is what the ECU port of the ASSI is expecting to receive from the adapter: What protocol you wait on the ASSI (Jeti/Multiplex/Futaba-sbus2) and, if futaba or multiplex, what slots/functions do you need to receive from the adapter. Could you please help with that? Thanks a lot!!!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Carsten Groen

rbenito, the adapter you need to use for this does not output any of the mentioned protocols, but a "ecu specific" prototcol that the ASSI understands. I'll see if I can get hold of Gaspar and get him to explain a little bit better regarding his adapter !
Old 05-19-2014, 11:48 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Roberto,

The problem is that you ordered this:

http://www.xicoy.com/catalog/product...15&language=en

In place of this:

http://www.xicoy.com/catalog/product...16&language=en

Now you can get the telemetry working on your radio by connecting the telemetry adapter on the receiver (using a Y lead to connect the ASSI at same time and assigning empty slots), you will have same performance and data on the TX screen, but not on the screen of the ASSI, as the data will go directly to the receiver, not going through the ASSI.

Gaspar
Old 06-03-2014, 06:28 AM
rbenito

Hello Gaspar & Carsten,

I got the correct adapter from Gaspar and it worked as spected. But I am having one more issue, hope you can help me please: Its the Throttle channel Normal/Reverse setting. I use to have my Futaba 18MZ Throttle Channel set to REVERSE, which means that the pulse transmitted to the FADEC goes from like 800 when TRIM LOW, 1000 when IDLE and 2000 when Full Throttle. Now, If I send this to Casten ASSI, it will understand it "upside down", like idle is 100% and Full is 0% on the Carsten Display AND the FADEC, DOESN'T MATTER IF I SET THE ASSI THROTTHLE CHANNEL FROM -100% TO +100% OR FROM +100% TO -100% with its utlity on the computer. It will not fill the difference and will behave the same way with both settings (ASSI 1.2). This is the same with JetCat and Xicoy, doesn't matter. A work around that I did was to invert the transmitter Throttle channel from REVERSE to NORMAL, worked ok with the Jetcat but not with the Xicoy, because I can set it up as a use to do (Throtthle channel REVERSED, from +100% to -100%, PULSE FROM like 1000 idle to 2000 full) but if I try to set it back to NORMAL (from -100% to +100%, PULSE from like 2000 idle down to 1000 full) to satisfy the ASSI, Xicoy FADEC will say "Invalid Radio Signal".

Could you please help me to overcome this issue? I'm already having a lot of fun with the ASSI on the Jetcat, now I would like to do the same with my Kingtech's Xicoys. Thanks a lot!!!

Roberto - Brazil
Old 06-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Carsten Groen

Roberto,
using the "ASSI Configuration Tool" you configure the throttle channel to whatever the servo monitor on the 18MZ tells you. This means you set the throttle/trim as you like (does not matter if it is reversed or not), just remember to input the correct values into the configuration tool for "idle" and "max throttle" as read on the servomonitor of the transmitter. REMEMBER to have the trim at max when reading the numbers and inputting them into the config tool. Basically the ASSI will use these two figures as the idle and max throttle to output to the turbine. IF you do NOT put the trim at max, the ASSI will be able to shutdown the engine when it wants to go to "idle" if you are using auto throttle at some point !!!

When you have entered the numbers for the idle and max throttle in the config tool and the ASSI is running with this new configuration, you do a "Learn RC" on the JetCat engine. This way the engine learns the "polarity" of the throttle from the ASSI device.

Hope this explains it ok, there is some explanation in the manual: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93706850/ASSI.pdf
Please look at page 35 and forward regarding setting the idle/max throttle
Page 48 and forward explains the auto throttle function (some stuff there about the idle/max throttle also)

PS: I always sets the endpoint on the throttle channel in the transmitter to +/-100% and then set the failsafe to "FS" and sets the FS point to 129% on the display. This means that the receiver will output 129% if there is a failsafe. Then I change the throttle channel endpoints to +70/-70 on the transmitter and then I do the setting of the idle/max throttle in the config tool for the ASSI (this will typically give +49% at idle and -70 at max throttle. After this, I do the "learn RC" on the ECU

Hopes this makes sense.

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 06-03-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:40 PM
rbenito

Thank you Carsten!

I really don't know what am I doing wrong... Please check if you are able to see the 4 attached images, all with Throttle stick on the 18MZ channel 16 in IDLE position. Failsafe is at -135% when reversed and +135% when normal. Trim allways centered, but emulated by Throttle-Cut Function. Low-Trim is at -90% when Reversed, and +90% when normal. There are 4 situations:

1- Config.bin IDLE=-70%,MAX=+70% ; TM18 Throttle Channel 16 REVERSE with Stick at IDLE showing -70% ; ASSI CAN LCD showing 100% (MAX) - This seems to be erratic for me, since MAX should be +70%. This is the setup I am needing to use to be able to do a correct "Learn RC" on the Xicoy, with the channel REVERSED, but ASSI is understanding it upside-down.

2- Config.bin IDLE=+70%,MAX=-70% ; TM18 Throttle Channel 16 REVERSE with Stick at IDLE showing -70% ; ASSI CAN LCD showing 100% (MAX) - This seems to be ok, since MAX is set to -70% but stick is in IDLE, so I can't use it.

3- Config.bin IDLE=-70%,MAX=+70% ; TM18 Throttle Channel 16 NORMAL with Stick at IDLE showing +70% ; ASSI CAN LCD showing 0% (MAX) - This seems to be erratic for me, since MAX shoud be +70%

4- Config.bin IDLE=+70%,MAX=-70% ; TM18 Throttle Channel 16 NORMAL with Stick at IDLE showing +70% ; ASSI CAN LCD showing 0% (MAX) - This is ok. I'm flying my Jetcat with this setting, but I need this channel REVERSED to be able to do a successful "Learn RC" on Xicoy

Sorry about my mess... Thank you!
Roberto

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ASSI-1.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	453.1 KB
ID:	2000934   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASSI-2.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	2000935   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASSI-3.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	2000936   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASSI-4.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	2000937  
Old 06-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Carsten Groen

Hi Roberto,
thanks for your detailed description, thanks to that I think I understand whats going on!
The ASSI device "adapts" to the throttle channel as it gets the numbers from the config file. Using the numbers in there it knows what "idle" and "max throttle" looks like (it does not mind if idle is +xxx % or -xxx%, it simply adapts to it).
However, the throttle output from the ASSI device will always have the same "polarity" regardless of the values for idle and max throttle from the config file. In the case of the JetCats thats no problem as their "Learn RC" takes this into account, but maybe the Xicoy is not able to do that (it requires a certain "polarity" of the throttle channel?).
I will have a look at this and see if there is an easy fix for this! Give me a couple of days and I will get back to you

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 06-03-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:53 AM
rbenito

Hi Carsten,

Exactly!! Jetcat does the "Learn RC" ok with the throttle channel in any way, REVERSE or NORMAL. Xicoy only accepst that in REVERSE. By the %numbers you told, you are using NORMAL in your 18MZ. That won't work with Xicoy.

By the way, I'm loving the ASSI, and have 4 of them now, 3 flying Jetcats perfectly. I only noted that situation trying to config the last ASSI that I received to a Xicoy FADEC for my KingTech.

Thanks a lot!!! Regards,
Roberto
Old 06-04-2014, 11:55 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Carsten,

Neither the Xicoy nor the Projet can accept the "normal" throttle channel on Futaba .. you have to reverse the channel. So people can work around by putting a small hardware servo reverser after the ASSI but before the Turbine .. but better if you could accomodate in the ASSI. How about you leave throttle as-is and have an option in the ASSI to reverse the throttle output to the turbine? I guess the disadvantage here is that this would change the setup with or without using the "cruise control" feature.

Dave
Old 06-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Carsten Groen

@Roberto, sounds good I will look into the firmware in a couple of days!

@Dave, Whether you use or don't use the auto-throttle function the problem will still be there. The ASSI device reads the throttle channel from the transmitter and outputs "reversed" throttle independent of the idle/max settings in the ASSI config.

I will see if I can make a change where I look at the idle/max throttle and depending on the "polarity" of the throttle channel from the transmitter, the ASSI will use the same "polarity" as the transmitter outputs. This should help with the other ECU's

More to come...

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 06-04-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:59 AM
raptorlogo

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
@Alain: That is great news I guess the tube must be sitting where there are som turbulence in the airstream ? Can you maybe upload a picture of the installation for us to learn from ?
Hello Carsten,

Sorry for my late answer, here is a picture showing the fitting of the pitot tube (Eagle Tree V3).

Best regards,

Alain

Name:	Flash.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	2005530  
Old 06-16-2014, 01:06 AM
Carsten Groen

Thanks Alain,
looks nice!
I have just completed maiden of my Airworld skyrunner, Pitot is mounted at the nose of the plane (a 3mm brass tube), pictures of install etc in my building thread (danish
http://jetdanmark.dk/e107_plugins/fo...php?18698.last
Old 06-19-2014, 02:23 PM
rbenito

Hello Carsten,

Any news on the software change to get it working with the Xicoy Fadec?

Thanks!
Roberto
Old 06-20-2014, 02:53 AM
Carsten Groen

Roberto,
sorry for my late answer, things have been a bit hectic here!
I will fix this in the weekend, where are you located in the world ?
Old 06-20-2014, 03:54 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This system looks great! Wish it was compatable with the 14mz..
Old 06-20-2014, 04:11 AM
Carsten Groen

Thanks Jon,
unofrtunately not compatiable with the 14MZ because of lack if telemetry back (the other functions on the ASSI can in fact be used with a little modification in the device if telemetry is not needed....)

However, currently I'm thinking/considering/dreaming about doing a seperate telemetry channel for all my boards...
I'm testing it on my my "channel expander" at the moment, the return data is on either 915 MHz (US etc) or 433 MHz (other)

For this I did a small board (20 x 50 mm) that will interface to the CAN Bus I have from my devices (ASSI, CANLCD, Pressure sensor etc) and to the radiomodule. This then delivers the data to the ground.

I'm designing a small "blackbox" that will receive the data from the plane and then it will interpret these data and deliver MP3 sound to a small earplug. The MP3 stuff etc is already running, still finilizing the design of the ground unit (will probably have the same LCD screen as my CANLCD module, a recharable battery, Jack connector for the earplug, SD card for MP3 files and a USB connector (configuration and charge)
I also have a scriping language running in a mock-up, this way the user can tailor the groundunit to do whatever he likes in terms of alarms, warnings and what not. The user can then put scrips onto the SD card and the groundunit will run this.
Basically the groundunit will only "talk to you" during flight, not many of us have the balls to look at a highres LCD when flying anyway, so everything needs to be audio.

Basically this all was started because I'm getting a little tired of the "so-so" telemetry implementations that have been done from the various manufacturers, I would like to have some control over what can be done etc....

Picture is of my channel expander (using 2 SBUS2 receivers for redundancy, 2 battery inputs with voltage, current, consumption for both on the TX, 18 servo connectors, CANBus etc) and the radiomodule

Name:	2014-06-13 17.51.15.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	2007011  

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 06-20-2014 at 04:15 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:29 AM
rbenito

Hello Carsten,

Sao Paulo - Brazil, and you?

Thanks,
Roberto
Old 06-20-2014, 07:51 AM
Carsten Groen

Roberto,
Denmark
Let me fix the software and then you can ship your unit to me and I will update it and return it to you
Old 06-22-2014, 07:28 AM
Carsten Groen

Did some tweaking of the ASSI software Roberto!
Let me see if I understand your problem 100% correct first. If you forget about the CANLCD for a moment, can you confirm that you can get the throttle channel from the ASSI to work correctly for the Xicoy ECU ?
I have a test setup here with a plain servo connected to the THR output from the ASSI and a CANLCD module.

By playing with the numbers in the ASSI configuration tool and the throttle reverse setting in the transmitter I can get the servo connected to the THR output from the ASSI to:

1) Turn CW on "throttle up" if the throttle max is positive (+70) value and idle is negative (-50) value (throttle channel on transmitter is REV)
2) Turn CCW on "throttle up" if the throttle max is a negative (-70) value and the idle is a positive (+50) value. (throttle channel on transmitter is NORM)

These tests show that the THR output from the servo will follow the "sign" of the throttle channel from the transmitter, CW with throttle in REV and CCW with throttle in NORM (as long as the config.bin file is correct configured)

The problem starts here in my setup when the CANLCD is connected to the ASSI and case 1) above is used (throttle channel on transmitter is REV). In that case the THR bargraph on the CANLCD will show rubbish. This is due to a error in the CAN Bus output from the ASSI device, a sign error and a "-100" to the value in the case the throttle channel was in REV ! This I have fixed now in the ASSI software and the CANLCD THR bargraph works correct independent of the REV or NORM setting in the transmitter (as long as the config.bin for the ASSI is configured correctly). The THR output from the ASSI device correctly follows the "sign" of the throttle channel from the transmitter (servo turns clockwise if throttle channel is in REV, and counter clockwise if throttle channel is in NORM)

Can you confirm that this is what you see ? If so, it is just a matter of updating the software of your ASSI device.

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 06-22-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:59 AM
rbenito

Thank you Carsten!

I'm on a trip now, should be back home in 10 days. As soon as I get back I will test it and return the results to you. If I understood, as soon I don't connect the CAN LCD or simply ignore its throttle graph bar, I should be able to correctly operate the Xicoy, or even the Jetcat, with the throttle reversed on the TRANSMITTER, as Xicoy requires. Correct?
Old 06-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Carsten Groen

Hi Roberto,
yes that is correct. The problem with the ASSI is of "cosmetic" character when using the CANLCD display, and only with the throttle bargraph on the display IF the throttel channel on the transmitter is set to "REV"
Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 AM
rbenito

Hello Carsten,

Sorry about the late answer.. I tested at the bench and it worked as you described, just "ignoring" the CAN Display. Next oportunity I'll test how the kingtech K80/Xicoy Fadec will behave in the sky!! Then I will post again. Thank you very much! Roberto
Old 07-18-2014, 07:20 AM
Carsten Groen

Hi Roberte,
thats good news, at least we know whats going on with the display then
Let me know if you need the stuff updated, and I will take care of it !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.