Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba SBUS2 telemetry, JetCat ECU, IAS and AoA indicator/warning, autothrottle and datalogger

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba SBUS2 telemetry, JetCat ECU, IAS and AoA indicator/warning, autothrottle and datalogger

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 03:10 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Not totally ASSI related, but then again...
As you might have discovered, I'm a little tired of the limited telemetry support from the Futaba transmitters (and to be honest, I think most of the transmitter systems are best used for controlling the plane and not so much for the telemetry...
Because of that, I have been developing some new stuff, still very much in early prototype stage, but maybe one day

I have made a "wireless CAN bus extender". What this does is it takes the CAN bus traffic from the plane (ASSI module etc) and transfers it to the ground where the CAN bus traffic will magically appear again!
The radio link will run on 433 MHz (Europe etc) and on 915 MHz (US etc) and so far range is working out great (two of my friends have been flying with it while a group was looking at the LCD display on the ground, Michael with a Harpoon and Kasper ("CarbonCustoms") with his Mirage 2000.

I also have a (very ugly) prototype running that has MP3 output, currently it will relay airspeed and a few alarms to a earplug. The idea is that you can carry this in a pocket while flying, and you will get all the alarms etc in your ear (engine failure, low voltage etc etc). The device will be fully customizeable (script language for alarms etc).

And lastly, I have also connected one of the radio modules directly to a Android mobile phone, not much immagination is needed to realize what this could be used for....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2058.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	2016463   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2061.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	2016464  
Old 07-24-2014, 12:19 PM
A343
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
And lastly, I have also connected one of the radio modules directly to a Android mobile phone, not much immagination is needed to realize what this could be used for....
So text possibilities ? "Sweatheart I'm gelting low on fuel, I'll be landing shortly. See you soon"
You're a genious Carsten. See you Monday! Got to go to Chicago first

Last edited by A343; 07-24-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Carsten Groen

Thanks Thomas,
see you on monday, have a safe flight
Old 08-14-2014, 03:17 AM
Toolbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents

I have an idea for a pilot friendly HUD first problem for me is... can I get the telemetry data output live to display on a laptop, how do I manage this, any help would be appreciated.

John
Old 08-14-2014, 03:23 AM
Toolbag

I would also need to be able to position the data and colour, re size the text for a visible HUD.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:37 AM
Carsten Groen

Currently I'm working on my wireless telemetry system, works together with the ASSI device (as well as a number of other devices I have made). Besides this I'm also working on a app for Android that will show the data and at the same time voice announcements, warnings (engine failure, low airspeed, excessive G force etc etc)....
If it's not a must that it is PC based, maybe that can be used instead ?
I also have the raw data received on a PC, I have just not had the time doing a decent application for that yet...

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 08-14-2014 at 04:01 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:19 AM
Toolbag

Possibly an android app would do the job, but I would need to be able to change text size, colour and position on the display, if that makes sense.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:41 AM
Carsten Groen

Absolutely makes sense!
It is then something else you are after I guess.
I have made a rough Android App for this, have a peak at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz_W...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz_WnoEolMs

Name:	2014-08-25 17.03.11.png
Views:	299
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	2026009   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-25 17.04.04.png
Views:	307
Size:	758.2 KB
ID:	2026010   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-26 08.54.15.png
Views:	313
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	2026011   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-26 08.54.34.png
Views:	299
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	2026012  
Old 08-26-2014, 01:44 AM
Carsten Groen

Absolutely makes sense!
It is then something else you are after I guess.
I have made a rough Android App for this, have a peak at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz_W...ature=youtu.be
Basically the opening screen shows the same data as the CANLCD module does in the plane (when mounted), the bargraphs have peak indicators and there are more of them. The layout will change over time, but for the first few flight tests this will work. The Android app also gets all information from the receiver in the plane so all channels/servo positions are known to the app, this opens the possibility for the app to react intelligently on "gear down", flap swith and a zillion other things !
PS: The Android app will also have a script engine, this way you can make small scripts that enables your own specific alarms, warnings etc!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz_WnoEolMs

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 08-26-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:55 AM
Toolbag

Carsten

Thanks for the heads up - excuse the pun.

It would work I believe so I will get things moving my side and see if I can get the HUD working well before I start messing with the telemetry, give me a few weeks and I'll come back to you with an update.

Thanks

John
Old 08-26-2014, 03:33 AM
Carsten Groen

Thanks John,
just let me know what you need in terms of the telemetry!
Old 08-26-2014, 01:02 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I will get a prototype of the CAN RF system soon and will start experimenting with this and an Android phone. This will be available in the USA when finalized.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:19 AM
Carsten Groen

I have started a seperate thread about the telemetry stuff: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...ng-things.html
Old 09-15-2014, 02:27 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the telemetry unit hooked up and appears to working as advertised. A couple of questions though...
The RSSI slot indicates a 0 on the Futaba 18 mz is this correct?
Failsafe shows 100 slot..is that correct?

I noticed the same numbers in the review on RCJI...

Thanks
Dean W.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:32 AM
Carsten Groen

Hi Dean,
no, that is not correct! Have you checked the config file that is on the SD card that the slot number for the RSSI and failsafe counter is at the correct place, and that you have selected "TEMP" sensor for the 2 slots on the transmitter ?
You can also send me your config.bin file, and perhaps a picture of the tx /slot setting etc ?
(email-> chg (at) moonbounce (dot) dk)
Old 09-15-2014, 02:51 AM
Helijet

I apologize in advance Carsten...I can build a mean model but I am quite slow to understand this new telemetry world. I bought the telemetry adapter from Xicoy. Hooked it up per the instructions. I opened the telemetry page in the 18mz and just put in each unit ( ie ECU temp, rpm etc ) as the instructions indicated per the slot that showed on the GSU screen ( Kingtech 140 ). I have the slots selected to TEMP yes ( I discovered that there are two different temp settings in the 18mz and got weird readings ). Sorry I don't understand re the SD card....

Sorry for this...I am the first in this area to use the Xicoy units...

Dean
Old 09-15-2014, 03:30 AM
Carsten Groen

Dean,
no need to excuse The ASSI is at times a little complicated, for which I excuse
The config.bin file I mention is the one that resides on the SD card in the ASSI board. The config.bin file is created using the "ASSI configuration tool" which usually is also located on the SD card, else it can be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...I%20Config.exe
Using the this tool, you can configure which slots the 12 different telemetry values should be shown at. Normally, there is a "default" config.bin file on the SD card, this places the sensors at the same slots as shown in the manual (can be fetched here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93706850/ASSI.pdf) from around page 34

Default the Failsafe counter will be sent to slot 30 and the RSSI indicator will be sent to slot 31. Both these slots should have a "TEMP" sensor assigned to them (page 44 in the manual)
See the pictures below...

If this still does not help, then we have to dig in further what goes on....maybe also check the version of the software in your radio (the newest can be downloaded from www.rc-futaba.com)
Otherwise send me the config.bin file that is located on the SD card in the ASSI device

Name:	1t.png
Views:	57
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2032064   Click image for larger version

Name:	2t.png
Views:	81
Size:	567.5 KB
ID:	2032065  
Old 09-15-2014, 05:23 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Helijet
I have the telemetry unit hooked up and appears to working as advertised. A couple of questions though...
The RSSI slot indicates a 0 on the Futaba 18 mz is this correct?
Failsafe shows 100 slot..is that correct?

I noticed the same numbers in the review on RCJI...

Thanks
Dean W.
Hello Dean,

You are right, there is a bug on version 1 of our telemetry adapter when used in Futaba mode. The slot assignment of the value of the failsafe counter and the slot of indicator of link quality are swapped. The one that show 100 (%) is the link quality. the one that show zero is the failsafe counter. You can test by switching off the TX for a moment, and when powering on again, you will see that the zero is not zero anymore.

This has been corrected in V2, that is not selling yet, as it include other radios and still on test phase.

Gaspar

Last edited by Gaspar; 09-15-2014 at 05:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-15-2014, 05:25 AM
Carsten Groen

Ahhh, you were not talking about my ASSI unit, but rather a telemetry unit from Xicoy
Disregard all my advices then
Old 09-15-2014, 06:27 AM
Helijet

Yes, thank you Carsten and Gaspar! I am OK with the little bug now that I understand it. Once I have a little time under my belt I will move up to the ASSI
Thank you gentlemen!

Regards
Dean W.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:45 AM
Carsten Groen

The ASSI improvements continues...Just enabled support for JR XBus receivers (see http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...ng-things.html). Also received some stuff so I should be able to enable support for AMT engines as well. Will be some time before the software is finished for this, but should eventually work out !
Old 11-07-2014, 06:31 AM
jcsotto

Any news on a Jeti support ?
Jc
Old 11-07-2014, 06:38 AM
Carsten Groen

JC,
no, not currently. I'm afraid that the Jeti uses inverted polarity compared to Futaba, if so, this would mean that it is not possible with the current ASSI device!
JR XBus is also inverted compared to Futaba (or I should say "Futaba" (and I think HoTT) is inverted compared to all other systems , but in the case of JR I only need to receive data from the receiver (channel info) so a simple device is put in the cable from the receiver to the ASSI device. This is shown on the video as a "pile of electronic components", this is just a simple mock-up of the circuit, real PCBs are being made right now (1" x 3/8" / 27 x 9 mm). If Jeti support would mean "control only" then that could also be used, but I have a feeling that "Jeti guys" would like to have the telemetry also on the transmitter from the ASSI (as compared to the Android system) and it that case it is a no go !
Old 11-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
Also received some stuff so I should be able to enable support for AMT engines as well. Will be some time before the software is finished for this, but should eventually work out !
....now that is the best news I have had for a while...

Jan
Old 12-11-2014, 07:52 AM
Carsten Groen

Success!
The ASSI device can now also be driven by Spektrum systems (as well as JR XBus)! Use the SRXL port on the receivers (for example AR9020). Together with the Android telemetry app this makes a very nice system
If you need Spektrum or JR support, please specify when ordering from Ultimate Jets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwPML1gItVA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.