Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba SBUS2 telemetry, JetCat ECU, IAS and AoA indicator/warning, autothrottle and datalogger

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba SBUS2 telemetry, JetCat ECU, IAS and AoA indicator/warning, autothrottle and datalogger

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 07:58 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Chris,
Oli is doing some 3D printed combined IAS(AoA tubes although not available yet.
The "IAS only" tube from 3DR (3D Robotics) in the US works wonderfull as IAS tubes (very small and nicely made!)
Old 06-26-2015, 08:03 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Carsten! Your work has enhanced our jet hobby. Thank you for providing us the oppurtunity to take advantage.
Chris
Old 06-26-2015, 08:08 AM
Carsten Groen

Thanks for the nice words Chris, means a lot to me
I'ts all part of the fun, watch the video to the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8TFN78rGUc
Old 06-26-2015, 09:17 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Lol. Need that in full scale.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:45 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Smith
Carsten, Oli,
Still don't see pitot/AoA tubes on Ultimate jets website yet. Don't mind fabricating my own if you have some dimensional/size suggestions.

Do you suggest any other tubes available in the USA? I don't mind using IAS only for awhile until AoA is available.

Thanks,
Chris
I made one but I have not flown it yet. Downside is the relative large diameter. Mine is 0.375", I would guess the lower limit to this particular design is maybe 0.270" but I wont know till I fly this one, at the rate I am going that will be awhile unfortunately.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150529_055045.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	2105883  
Old 06-26-2015, 11:20 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Smith
Carsten, Oli,
Still don't see pitot/AoA tubes on Ultimate jets website yet. Don't mind fabricating my own if you have some dimensional/size suggestions.

Do you suggest any other tubes available in the USA? I don't mind using IAS only for awhile until AoA is available.

Thanks,
Chris
They are not yet on the web site because they are extremely difficult to print. The AOA ports have 0.8 mm diameter channels that tend to clog during the printing process.
The first design was not good enough for AOA. I have made a couple more iterations but Carsten need to test it in his mini wind tunnel.
This is my current priority right now.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:43 PM
mr_matt

I have been using the ASSI for shaking down my new plane. It is a very nice tool and a fun toy frankly.

The telemetry functions are rather powerful, but what I really like is the data logging. I finally hooked up SBUS2 and the JetCat ECU to the ASSI so now I have a log of the engine parameters like fuel burn, RPM, EGT, along with airspeed, angle of attack, 3 axis “G” load, servo position and of course GPS position. I can check the throttle repsonse, EGT and fuel burn in relation to the flight profile! Mission control!

Carsten has provided a basically one touch method to export the log data into google earth. You can view your flight right over a satellite image of your flying site, with full access to the log data at any point in the flight, just point and click. Very slick and helpful.

You can also check things you would not first think about, like how long it takes to set up and land after you drop the gear, stuff like that. You can also get a much better view on how much fuel you need for a go around.

I have not tried the auto throttle feature yet, but I do want to try to LED landing aids, you can set up high output flashing LEDs to cue you on landing for airspeed or IAS thresholds.

Carsten has been super helpful and clearly has a passion for this project. Take it from me, the skills he possess that are needed to make a product like this are in very high demand in the market. He obviously has a love of RC to be doing this!

Feature requests:

1.) Time tagging for log files. Perhaps the app does this when I get 915 MHz telemetry up and running.

2.) A way to start logs with the press of a button, instead of logging on every power up.

3.) Gyro gain compensation (a way to link the gyro gain channel to IAS to allow automatic gain adjust with airspeed). With SBUS we certainly have enough channels I think.

Last edited by mr_matt; 11-17-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:01 PM
mr_matt

Here is the pitot mounted, it does not look too bad but like I said I think you could get it down to maybe 7 to 8 mm diameter. It is 9 mm now.

Name:	IMG_20151031_153929.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2131121  
Old 11-18-2015, 12:06 AM
Carsten Groen

Thanks a lot for the nice words Matt
Regarding the 3 feature requests:

1.) Time tagging for log files. Perhaps the app does this when I get 915 MHz telemetry up and running.
This is fully supported when using the Android app and the separate downlink of data. Due to (a number) of technicalities, it is not done in the log on the ASSI device itself. The logs are numbered with a incrementing number instead

2.) A way to start logs with the press of a button, instead of logging on every power up.
That is actually a good idea! It could be done so that one configures the channel number and the channel % value, or maybe it could be made so it follows the 3 point mode switch, whenever that is NOT in the "disable" state, the log will be active.

3.) Gyro gain compensation (a way to link the gyro gain channel to IAS to allow automatic gain adjust with airspeed). With SBUS we certainly have enough channels I think.
Interesting idea! The ASSI can output data for Futaba Extended channels, these are used by the Futaba gyros (heli etc) for adjusting stuff. I'm afraid that not many other Gyro would work like this.. However, there would be other ways of doing this with some of my other products. Let me think about this for a while

Thanks a lot for the words Matt, and also for the ideas. It is only with inputs like this we can move forward with new exciting stuff
(and I'm sure I'm on the right track, otherwise a number of companies would probably not be copying the stuff and features I'm doing. But as they say, people that copy others are always behind )
Old 11-18-2015, 09:25 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mr Matt would you mind telling me where you got everything to get started with your telemetry setup? What TX and RX models are you using with this system? This seems like a lot of coolness that I'd like to get into!
Old 11-19-2015, 03:05 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

please
Old 11-19-2015, 02:59 PM
mr_matt

Originally Posted by Eddie P
Mr Matt would you mind telling me where you got everything to get started with your telemetry setup? What TX and RX models are you using with this system? This seems like a lot of coolness that I'd like to get into!

I got everything from ultimate jets.

http://www.ultimate-jets.net/collections/assi-telemetry

I use Futaba SBus2 telemetry, but I also have the 915 MHz telemetry that utlizes Carsten's Android app. Very slick.

I think it will use futaba GPS or Carsten's...your choice.

The main trick was making the Angle of Attack probe. I am not sure how important it is as I have not tried AoA auto-landing yet, but you could get most of the ASSI benefit with just a normal pitot/static probe.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:58 PM
olnico

Originally Posted by mr_matt
I got everything from ultimate jets.

http://www.ultimate-jets.net/collections/assi-telemetry

I use Futaba SBus2 telemetry, but I also have the 915 MHz telemetry that utlizes Carsten's Android app. Very slick.

I think it will use futaba GPS or Carsten's...your choice.

The main trick was making the Angle of Attack probe. I am not sure how important it is as I have not tried AoA auto-landing yet, but you could get most of the ASSI benefit with just a normal pitot/static probe.
Which is on Black Friday specials.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...day-deals.html
Old 11-19-2015, 05:19 PM
mr_matt

I made a 4 port AoA tube myself from bits, it was not awful. Here it is before I potted the back. I had to make it a bit bigger than I wanted to be able to install it from the front of the nose. If you don't mind putting it in from inside the nose, you can make it a bit smaller.

Then I think it is pretty important to have it level with the reference. I picked the chord line of the airfoil, but the zero lift line might have been better. I used a laser level, accurate to maybe less than 1/2 degree.

Name:	IMG_20150529_055105.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	2131499   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150606_141033.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	2131500  
Old 11-20-2015, 12:13 AM
Carsten Groen

Looks good Matt!
One comment, if you don't get the AoA tube in the exact "0 degree line" you can always offset it in the ASSI Configuration tool, in the screendump below you can see you just tick the "Change AoA parameters" (hmmm, I see I have a spelling error in "prameters" ). When that is enabled, you can enter a negative/positive value in the field "Offset". The two other numbers Divisor and Constant is to be left as they are (only used to calibrate/tweak the formula the device uses for AoA calculation)

Regarding the GPS, you are right. Either the Futaba one or mine will work. Difference is that my will update a bit quicker (4 times pr second) when you use it with the Android telemetry link system (you get a much smoother display and replay of the flightpath on the Android screen if you use my GPS receiver)

Name:	Unavngivet.png
Views:	496
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	2131558  

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 11-20-2015 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:00 AM
Carsten Groen

Latest news,
I have now a working prototype for Weatronic users! I have made a "protocol converter" that will interface the CAN Bus of my devices with the Weatronic system. Once the last few details are finished, the ASSI board and all my other modules will be working on Weatronic transmitters (BAT60 and BAT64).
The board has a "SCU OUT" port (for connecting to receiver) and a "SCU IN" port (for connecting to other Weatronic devices, still pending), a CAN Bus connector (for connecting to my devices) and a "SRXL" port (not used at the moment). USB port is only for updates and diagnostics.
More info (and maybe a small video will follow )

Name:	2016-01-20 17.09.14 - Kopi.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	2142658  

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 01-21-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:34 AM
RonTins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently read this entire thread while locked in doors due to the snow storm we just got on the east coast. I am simply in awe at your innovation in the radio controlled world, providing essential flight data information via telemetry to the rc pilot. I just hope we can get Futaba to jump on the band wagon and officially support your product so that units on the transmitter are not limited to RPM’s or Temps (degree Celsius).

Questions I have for you. Are there plans in place to provide selectable options for Mph/Kph? Right now it seems IAS is recorded in Kph. Please correct me if I have erred.

Also, how soon will the pitot tube used for measuring IAS/AoA be ready for purchase with the ASSI board?

Last edited by RonTins; 01-26-2016 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Correcting phrase.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:33 AM
Carsten Groen

Wow,
thanks for the nice words RonTins
The metric/imperial problem is a little difficult...As I need to use Futabas VERY limited predefined sensortypes I'm a little troubled by this. I won't say it is impossible, I just need to twist my head around and see what can be done, the problem is I use the "TEMPERATURE" sensor for many of the other values (ECU battery voltage etc etc) so it is not too easy to change. Let me think about it, but no promisses

If you use my Android app instead of relying on Futaba and their non-existent support for other telemetry devices, you have no problems. On the Android you can select either metric or imperial and you get the units you love
Old 01-26-2016, 09:49 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by RonTins

Also, how soon will the pitot tube used for measuring IAS/AoA be ready for purchase with the ASSI board?
I am printing prototype #13 right now. Maybe a sign of luck?
Development of a combined pitot/ AOA device has been very difficult...
Old 01-26-2016, 05:58 PM
olnico

Here is the pitot/ AOA tube that will go out to Carsten for test next week...

On the first picture, you can see on of the 4 static ports mid tube and one of the two AOA port at the tip.
On the post-curing chamber picture, you can clearly see the static ports and the AOA splitting tip.

Name:	20160127_055200.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	4.64 MB
ID:	2143676   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160127_055326.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	4.41 MB
ID:	2143677  

Last edited by olnico; 01-26-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:03 PM
stewart69

Hi, need help with setting up telemetry on T14SG, do I need to 'Register' the ASSI ? How do I get parameters to display on TX. I have other sensors working GPS etc. Any help appreciated, I'm old. Need step by step.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:30 PM
Carsten Groen

Stewart,
Futaba has in their infinite wisdom, not (yet !?!) made it possible to rename sensors on the 14SG and also not on the brand new 18SZ for some odd reason. Maybe if you and others complain to them they will finally implement this option on both the transmitters.
There is no need to do any "register" etc on the TX with the ASSI board (or for that matter on any of my other products), you simple use the ASSI configuration tool to set the slot numbers you want the values to appear at.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:36 PM
Carsten Groen

I have now finally the ASSI board working with the Projet Hornet ECU. The Hornet ECU is used with Behotec, BF Turbines (etc) engines. You will get telemetry on your Futaba transmitter and on the Android app (if using that also). Autothrottle etc works exactly like the "original" JetCat version. The Projet "enabled" ASSI can (within approx 1 week) be ordered from Ultimate Jets

I have also updated the manual for the ASSI device, added connection schematic for the connection to Hornet ECU and some other updates.
The new manual can be downloaded from: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93706850/ASSI.pdf

To summerise what the ASSI currently supports:

Engines:
1) JetCat ECU (V6 and V10)
2) Xicoy (using Xicoy adapter)
3) AMT engines
4) Projet Hornet ECU
5) Soon Jakadofsky, working on that right now

Radio systems:
1) Futaba FASSTest with full telemetry
2) JR XBus, mode A (only for controlling the ASSI, no telemetry)
3) Spektrum SRXL (only for controlling the ASSI, no telemetry)
4) Weatronic SRXL (only for controlling the ASSI, no telemetry, see below)

Weatronic telemetry is also 90% implemented (full telemetry), but this will probably not be relased as it requires a final release of their latest beta version of the TX firmware

As Futaba (finally) have made a "True air speed" indicator in their newest transmitter firmware) it is possible now for the ASSI device to report the IAS, Max IAS and target speed using this sensor type. You will then be able to get the speed announcements with the correct units from the transmitter. Existing ASSI devices can be updated with the new software (version 1.16) should you desire

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 06-22-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:24 PM
stewart69

My telemetry display looks like this. Do I have to remember what each value represents when they all say Temp?Also 'save file' is not highlighted on my Configuration Tool display.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	491
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2169216  

Last edited by stewart69; 06-23-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:27 AM
Carsten Groen

Yes,
I'm afraid so I mentioned this on page 3 in this thread.
Link: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...l#post11647755

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.