Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba SBUS2 telemetry, JetCat ECU, IAS and AoA indicator/warning, autothrottle and datalogger

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba SBUS2 telemetry, JetCat ECU, IAS and AoA indicator/warning, autothrottle and datalogger

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 04:23 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a way to control the airspeed on a Behotec JB220 powered plane? Say, limit the speed to 150mph?
Old 06-24-2016, 04:41 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well,
not directly. You can get warnings if you enable it on the transmitter or Android app, but there is no automatic "throttle down" if you exceed some set speed
(but that might be a good idea for the future!)

EDIT: I was wrong, can't even remember what my own product can do See a couple posts below

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 06-24-2016 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:52 AM
BlueBus320

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
Well,
not directly. You can get warnings if you enable it on the transmitter or Android app, but there is no automatic "throttle down" if you exceed some set speed
thanks Carsten. I had it on a Jetcat, it is awesome for aerobatic routines. Set thrust stick to full & forget about it. You can do an entire routine (even verticals if you have the thrust) at a set constant scale airspeed. Great for giant scale jet realism.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:57 AM
Jeti USA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well,
Hey Carsten no problem, Jeti can do it very simply using Telemetry Control and speed sensor.
(isn't it unbelievable, according you such an inferior system will do it with single cheap sensor)

Maybe you should think about bi-directional integration with Jeti radios.

Zb/Jeti USA

Last edited by Jeti USA; 06-24-2016 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:21 AM
Carsten Groen

Originally Posted by BlueBus320
thanks Carsten. I had it on a Jetcat, it is awesome for aerobatic routines. Set thrust stick to full & forget about it. You can do an entire routine (even verticals if you have the thrust) at a set constant scale airspeed. Great for giant scale jet realism.
Ahh, my brain was somewhere else
Of course you can do what you mention, I have the "Preset speed", see from page 49 and forward in the manual: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93706850/ASSI.pdf
Using that, you can set a predetermined speed (f.eks 200 km/h) and when engaging the auto-throttle function it will keep this speed. This is in fact designed for syncro flying, the ASSI device keeps the speed of the planes equal.
At the same time it will show you on the red and green lights (if mounted) how well the plane follows the speed you have set (I have the preset speed set on a dial on the transmitter, typically the LD potmeter).

If you then turn down the preset speed pot to "0", the setting for each flap setting will take over for the auto throttle for landing etc (when auto throttle is engaged). In both cases, whenever the throttle stick is moved away from idle, the auto throttle will be disengaged.

@Zb/Jeti USA, you still have a lot to learn about conducting business, how to behave and act. Its not a universal rule that every thread here on RCU must contain a note about Jeti from you. Maybe you will learn it at some point, I see your childish message in the http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...l#post12225394 thread has been removed, but obvious it was not enough of a hint for you.

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 06-24-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:13 AM
BlueBus320

Ahh, my brain was somewhere else
Of course you can do what you mention, I have the "Preset speed", see from page 49 and forward in the manual: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93706850/ASSI.pdf
Using that, you can set a predetermined speed (f.eks 200 km/h) and when engaging the auto-throttle function it will keep this speed. This is in fact designed for syncro flying, the ASSI device keeps the speed of the planes equal.
At the same time it will show you on the red and green lights (if mounted) how well the plane follows the speed you have set (I have the preset speed set on a dial on the transmitter, typically the LD potmeter).

If you then turn down the preset speed pot to "0", the setting for each flap setting will take over for the auto throttle for landing etc (when auto throttle is engaged). In both cases, whenever the throttle stick is moved away from idle, the auto throttle will be disengaged.

@Zb/Jeti USA, you still have a lot to learn about conducting business, how to behave and act. Its not a universal rule that every thread here on RCU must contain a note about Jeti from you. Maybe you will learn it at some point, I see your childish message in the http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...l#post12225394 thread has been removed, but obvious it was not enough of a hint for you.
Thanks! It's about time I start experimenting with an ASSI
Old 06-25-2016, 07:23 AM
Carsten Groen

Originally Posted by BlueBus320
Thanks! It's about time I start experimenting with an ASSI
Now thats a good idea
The ASSI has some default parameters for the PID loop that controls the throttle (so it tracks the speed). These default values are what most people use, but you might experiment with them depending on the engine used etc. It's the 3 parameters in the orange circle on the attached screendump
The ASSI PID feature is described around page 51 in the manual: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93706850/ASSI.pdf
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Udklip.PNG
Views:	47
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	2169592  
Old 06-26-2016, 09:54 AM
BlueBus320

Now thats a good idea
The ASSI has some default parameters for the PID loop that controls the throttle (so it tracks the speed). These default values are what most people use, but you might experiment with them depending on the engine used etc. It's the 3 parameters in the orange circle on the attached screendump
The ASSI PID feature is described around page 51 in the manual: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93706850/ASSI.pdf
Ok, got it.. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2016, 10:06 PM
stewart69

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok,I have to say I was a little disappointed at first with my ASSI on the 14SG but now I love it! Overlaying the flights on Google Earth is fantastic, so much info and I have identified a no fly area where my Rx signal strength drops to 1. Now to start playing with Auto throttle. Stew
Old 06-29-2016, 10:15 PM
Carsten Groen

Wow, thanks a lot Stewart for the nice words
(maybe you can share a screenshot from google earth of the flight path?)

So nice to see that the features of the ASSI can help people like yourself
If only Futaba would enable the possibility to change "sensor names" on the 14SG and 18SZ, life would be easier!

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 06-29-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:52 PM
Carsten Groen

Another thing,
I got feedback that the auto-throttle would not work correctly if using a Hornet/Projet ECU. This is due to the fact that the Hornet ECU can not "teach" the throttle channel if it is reversed (low value at idle, high at full throttle only works, jetcat will learn correctly no matter what the "polarity" of the values are).
This has now been fixed in the ASSI device, current software version is 1.17

Another things that has changed is the way the IAS, max IAS and Target speed is shown on the transmitter (typically slot 24,26 and 28). In the "old days" the speeds would be sent to the transmitter as "TEMPERATURE" values as there was no sensor type in Futaba for speed. This has changed in the latest version for the 18MZ, this now has a sensor type named "True Air speed". When using firmware 1.17 or later in the ASSI, the 3 slots mentioned above will be sent as "True Air speed" to the transmitter.

NOTE: at this time the 14SG and 18SZ does NOT have this sensor type. I assume it is just a matter of time before that will be implemented, but for now, this is only for 18MZ
Old 06-30-2016, 12:02 AM
stewart69

Carsten is there a reason 'save file' is not highlited in the config file?
Stew
Old 06-30-2016, 12:18 AM
Carsten Groen

Stew,
it will be, once you do a "load file" or "create new file".
"Save file" will only a already opened/created file, "save as" will create and save etc.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:47 PM
stewart69

I told you I was old Any chance of an IOS version of the CAN bundle?
[ATTACH]2170827[/IMG]

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	2170827  
Old 07-01-2016, 11:49 PM
Carsten Groen

Thanks for the screenshot, looks like a nice place to fly!
Regarding iOS, no chance at all! It is a real PITA to do iOS development, it is very very strict and there is a bunch of limitations you have to be ready to live with (USB OTG with my radio module is one of many). But maybe somebody else would like to do it, the protocol to the radio link can easily be shared if somebody is up to the task!

It's obvious that there is a small degradation of the signal quality to the right when you get to a certain angle of the plane. A signal quality of 2 is of no concern at all, it is first at level 1 that you should do something about it
The image below is from post 219 (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...l#post11767869) in this thread, thats a case where you should begin to wonder whats going on (that was close to a military facility that might have some interesting equipment!

Name:	Flight3.xps.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	2170833  

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 07-01-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:15 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Carsten,

Great to see continued progress. Your comments on IOS are amusing. I am an apple fanboy but did purchase a Samsung tablet to use your system .. well worth it!

Glad I am not the only one tired of the constant spamming by the Jeti USA gang... I am sure they have a very nice and very capable radio but my willingness to seriously consider it is declining every time I see them doing their annoying "thing"...

Dave McQ
Old 07-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah Carsten, great to see your progress with the assi Dave anytime you want to venture to the darkside I will take your 18mz for cheap
Old 07-04-2016, 10:19 PM
Carsten Groen

Hi Dave,
thanks Don't misunderstand me, Apple products are very nice, it is just from a developers viewpoint they can be rather......frustrating
Things are happening here all the time with telemetry and other stuff, some of it will surface and some will not. Getting a little frustrated that there are quite a few "copy cats" out there, but I guess that if "you copy others ideas, you are always behind"
Agree on the Jeti US thing, I'm sure the transmitter is nice, but as all other products it has its flaws and limitations, these are however something that should be kept to the relevant threads
Old 08-12-2017, 09:23 AM
tigger52

Hello,
I have bought a second hand ASSI device, to use it only as a telemetry supplier for a P180RX on an avanti.
My problem is that I'm not able to load the device as a telemetry sensor on my robbe/futaba radio FX32 version 1.7.
I tried the following elements:
- plug the device alone in the radio
- plug the device wtih a 6V Life battery in the radio
- plug the device that is already linked on the GSU, either with turbine electrically powered, or not
- with or without the sd card
I tried to manually create all the ports on the radio, between 20 and 31, with ID also 20 to 31.
Whatever I do, I always have the same message: "sensor connected not ready".
Would somebody have any advice to give?
Thank you
Regards

Last edited by tigger52; 08-12-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:39 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you run the configuration tool? It is a Windows executable on the SD card. You can check that all of the ASSI settings are correct.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:11 AM
tigger52

Hello,
yes I checked the ASSI driver, and all the ports are as scheduled: from 20 to 31.
I don't know what I could check/modify on this driver?
There is a telemetry menu in the jetcat ECU V10: must it be switched ON? or is it only for the original jetcat telemetry module?
Old 08-12-2017, 11:57 AM
mr_matt

Are you sure you are getting good communication with the ECU? The blue LED on the ASSI should be flashing periodically.

Sorry I don't know about this v10 setting. The ASSI is basically using the same data stream as the gsu so if the gsu is working the ASSI should work.

I would start with the blue LED
Old 08-12-2017, 12:17 PM
tigger52

When I plug the ASSI device in the radio, I only have the red light blinking.
When I plug the ASSI device between the receiver port SBUS2 and the ECU port, I have the blue and the red lights blinking.
When I do the same with the SD removed, I have the blue, the red and the yellow lights blinking.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:40 PM
mr_matt

Sounds like the ASSI is working correctly. I wonder if that transmitter sw allows manual sensor setup?

I know that the ASSI cannot be plugged in to the transmitter to register the sensors
Old 08-12-2017, 01:15 PM
tigger52

In fact I don't know if my way of choosing the ID for each slot is the correct method.
Because when I register other standard sensors, the ID is automatically chosen, and is more complicated than simple 00020, oiver 00021 etc etc...
I don't know what means exactly a "manual sensor setup".
If somebody could give the ID that he can read on each of the 12 slots, maybe it could be usefull.
Thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.