Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba SBUS2 telemetry, JetCat ECU, IAS and AoA indicator/warning, autothrottle and datalogger

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba SBUS2 telemetry, JetCat ECU, IAS and AoA indicator/warning, autothrottle and datalogger

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 01:46 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Double check you are in 18 channel FASSTest mode
Old 08-12-2017, 02:42 PM
Olkajet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will this help?
-see pic in link.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/gate669r6r...39.29.png?dl=0

Last edited by Olkajet; 08-12-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: link
Old 08-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Olkajet

Originally Posted by Olkajet
Or this ? https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrdniq4hrs...46.21.png?dl=0
Old 08-12-2017, 10:53 PM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no need to set any ID for the ASSI boards telemetry slots. You simply assign the different TEMPERATURE/RPM sensor types to the slots 20 to 31 as shown in the manual, nothing more. The SD card has to be inserted (the configuration file is read from that and the logs are written to the card). The "running lights" on the LEDs is shown when no SD card is inserted.
See page 27 of the manuel to see what the different LEDs mean.
See page 47 for an explanation of the assignments of slots (this is for 18MZ but should be similar to the FX32

If you see a short flash in the red LED, the ASSI receives SBUS communication. If you see a short flash in the blue LED, the ASSI communicates with the ECU.
Let me know if there is something else that is not clear

The current manual is available here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93706850/ASSI.pdf
Old 08-13-2017, 12:31 AM
tigger52

Hello,
thank you for all the information you gave to me.
I was finally able to link everything, thanks to the following informations: there is not need to register the sensor and you I only need to "open" the slot on the radio!
I already had the current manual, and eventhough it was helpfull, I wasn't able to understand my trouble.
In fact, the trouble was in the jetcat ECU V10.
In this version you MUST enable the TELEMETRY FUNCTION in a specific menu of the ECU, eventhough the ASSI module is not the original jetcat module.
I can read all parameters on my FX32, but this radio doesn't allow to modify the "name of parameters": too bad but happy to finally read these parameters!
Thanks everybody for your help!
Regards
Old 08-13-2017, 12:40 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Dear all.
For info, we will have the ASSI system on demo at our stand in jet power.
Carsten will be here as well and we will conduct small presentations/ conferences once every day.
We will also have on demo our new range of 3D printed pitot tubes, micro static ports and wing leading edge AOA sensors.

https://www.ultimate-jets.net/collec...assi-telemetry

We are also coming up with a new generation of Rx bus boards with ASSI CAN bus connectivity. More to come soon...
Old 08-13-2017, 01:05 AM
Carsten Groen

Originally Posted by tigger52
Hello,
thank you for all the information you gave to me.
I was finally able to link everything, thanks to the following informations: there is not need to register the sensor and you I only need to "open" the slot on the radio!
I already had the current manual, and eventhough it was helpfull, I wasn't able to understand my trouble.
In fact, the trouble was in the jetcat ECU V10.
In this version you MUST enable the TELEMETRY FUNCTION in a specific menu of the ECU, eventhough the ASSI module is not the original jetcat module.
I can read all parameters on my FX32, but this radio doesn't allow to modify the "name of parameters": too bad but happy to finally read these parameters!
Thanks everybody for your help!
Regards
Great!
Its very sad that Futaba has not made it possible (yet?) to change the names of the sensors, only the 18MZ has this.
Also, on the 18MZ and 14SG they have a specific "True Airspeed" sensor type that the ASSI board can be updated to use (instead of TEMPERATURE) for the IAS/preset speed parameters. This is also not available on the 18SZ, what a pity.

As Oli writes, I will be at JetPower this year also, if any wants to discuss telemetry stuff etc, just let me know
Old 08-13-2017, 02:14 PM
stewart69

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all, I have re engined my jet from Jetcat to a Kingtech turbine which uses an Xicoy ECU, do i need to buy the Xicoy telemetry adapter to see the engine values or can the ASSI be connected directly to the 'data' port on the ECU.

Thanks in advance
Stew
Old 08-13-2017, 09:09 PM
Carsten Groen

Stewart,
Xicoy had/have a small adapter that connects between the Xicoy ECU and the ASSI board. You could try and contact Gaspar and see if he still has this available
At some point, when I get the time, I will do native support for Kingtech so you can connect Kingtech ECUs directly to the ASSI
Old 08-13-2017, 10:41 PM
stewart69

Hi Carsten
I do have the Xicoy adapter for regular telemetry but wasn't sure if I needed it with the ASSI.
Thankyou for the reply.

Stew
Old 08-13-2017, 10:59 PM
Carsten Groen

Originally Posted by stewart69
Hi Carsten
I do have the Xicoy adapter for regular telemetry but wasn't sure if I needed it with the ASSI.
Thankyou for the reply.

Stew
Hi Stew,
I'm not sure this is the right adapter! Xicoy/Gaspar made a specific adapter that is used for this, as far as I know, this adapter is not used for anything else!
Old 08-13-2017, 11:06 PM
stewart69

Hmmm, it's identical to the pic in the ASSI manual.

Stew
Old 08-13-2017, 11:08 PM
Carsten Groen

Originally Posted by stewart69
Hmmm, it's identical to the pic in the ASSI manual.

Stew
Then maybe it is the correct one (could also be that it is just the same piece of hardware with another software running on it!)
But, maybe check with Gaspar first?
Old 08-29-2017, 11:39 AM
mr_matt

This is a fantastic piece of gear not just for telemetry but data logging.

I use SBus 2 and JetCat, so in addition to the JetCat ECU telemetry on my transmitter (for in flight shutdowns and fuel remaining) I can get a lot of other logged data to look at after the flight on my PC. It is all tab delimited text files on an SD card, so you can open the logs in MS excel and they are very readable.

For instance, you also get an RSSI field which I did not even know futaba had, so you can look at you receiver strength at any point in the flight overlaid with google maps if you like. It also stores the position of all of the servo channels so you can see where in the flight the gear went up, flaps, and of course throttle position. With throttle position for instance, you can then correlate the throttle commands to the RPM of the turbine, and even look at the fuel burn rate , the temperature, etc.

It is a great tool to monitor the health of the turbine in real world action. IMHO it is worth it just for this feature.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:03 PM
olnico

Originally Posted by mr_matt

I use SBus 2 and JetCat, so in addition to the JetCat ECU telemetry on my transmitter (for in flight shutdowns and fuel remaining) I can get a lot of other logged data to look at after the flight on my PC. It is all tab delimited text files on an SD card, so you can open the logs in MS excel and they are very readable.

For instance, you also get an RSSI field which I did not even know futaba had, so you can look at you receiver strength at any point in the flight overlaid with google maps if you like. It also stores the position of all of the servo channels so you can see where in the flight the gear went up, flaps, and of course throttle position. With throttle position for instance, you can then correlate the throttle commands to the RPM of the turbine, and even look at the fuel burn rate , the temperature, etc.

It is a great tool to monitor the health of the turbine in real world action. IMHO it is worth it just for this feature.
The real power of the ASSI system is the AOA/ stall protection and autothrottle.
I have an old customer who is struggling to land his F-18F as it is a plane that requires to be spot on speed.
I did set an ASSI up in this plane and programmed stall protection and autothrottle for it.
Once the autothrottle is activated for 1.3 Vs, the plane is virtually locked on its approach path.
Landing has become a breeze for this plane.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:25 PM
Carsten Groen

Originally Posted by mr_matt

Thanks for the nice words Matt, comments like that makes the hard development work seem less "as work"
Below a screenshot of how it looks in Google Earth when there have been reduction in "RSSI" (signal quality) for a flight. If the RSSI gets below "3" which is maximum (can go from 3 to 0) there will be a small marker on the flightpath showing the signal strength at that specific point.
As a sidenote, "Enata Aerospace" will be present at JetPower this year, they will, among other things, have the ASSI board for sale at their booth
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	M.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	2229838  
Old 09-22-2017, 01:33 AM
Carsten Groen

The "ASSI story" continues...ASSI-2 (I'm not good at inventing smart names ) is starting to run. The prototypes are up and running now. There is quite a number of enhancements compared to the original ASSI. The device now has support for two engines, builtin radio module for separate telemetry downlink (for either my Android app, see http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...ng-things.html ) or my new standalone display (with Bluetooth so it also can work as a gateway for the Android app)
The ASSI2 also now can interface to non-bus radios using 4 traditional servo inputs. Module has also a 3D IMU sensor mounted (3D accel, 3D gyro and 3D compas) (for future use). 8 servo outputs (for different stuff, f.ex rudder compensation in case of one of the engines stops etc). It still has outputs for high-bright warning LEDs and of course it has CAN bus (like all of my modules). The datalog on the SD card is still there (with info for both engines) etc.
The display module is a battery driven standalone device, it receives the telemetry downlink from the ASSI2 and shows it on the display. It also relays the info on Bluetooth so it can be picked up by my Android app (if needed).
Still a "work in progress", I chose to make the hardware "more capable than first needed", ideas tend to come as time goes so its nice not to have to many limits in the hardware
The only thing that has been removed from the original ASSI is the AoA capability as I found that not many used the feature anyway. I have another solution for that coming in the near future

Some of my modules etc can be seen on my webpage: Electronics for RC models

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-14 10.05.05.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	503.3 KB
ID:	2233053   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-14 10.21.16.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	2233054   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASSI2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	2233055   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-14 10.36.13.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	506.4 KB
ID:	2233056  

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 09-22-2017 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:29 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice to see some more Carsten innovations!

Is Oli going to be expanding his offerings on ultimate-jets to sell the new gear?

Dave McQ
Old 09-22-2017, 09:13 AM
Carsten Groen

Thanks Dave
Yes, ultimate jets is going to sell some of the stuff, and some of it is direct from me (also worldwide)
Old 09-22-2017, 12:11 PM
olnico

Originally Posted by ww2birds
Nice to see some more Carsten innovations!

Is Oli going to be expanding his offerings on ultimate-jets to sell the new gear?

Dave McQ
Yes, we'll do.
Note that we'll still offer the ASSI 1 in parallel as I find the AOA feature really interesting. I now have a leading edge AOA sensor that is very simple to install.

Also we will be offering a Jeti version of the ASSI module in the winter...
Old 09-22-2017, 05:34 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Oli. The 3D printed ASSI-related parts don't have pics and have improbably low prices so I assumed those listings were just placeholders...I'll look again!

Dave
Old 10-18-2017, 03:03 PM
ThunderPantz

Default Genius

Well. I have just found this thread and read it from start to finish over a couple days. I am flabbergasted at this incredible invention from a fellow modeller and genius Carstan. I am planning to upgrade to the new Futaba 16 ch. I am assuming this will work the same as the 14 I currently have or the 18?
I will then be looking at obtaining one of these little gems in the spring. Excited to play with this baby. The signal strength reading alone is worth it. The rest is all gravy
cheers
Thunder
Old 10-18-2017, 04:22 PM
mr_matt

Yes Thunder, at this time I don't know any other way to get signal strength data on a Futaba other than this unit. I have 3 of them now. They are fantastic; Carsten is very passionate about the technology and he is also passionate about customer satisfaction. He support is impeccable.

I need to order one of the version 2's!!
Old 10-18-2017, 08:02 PM
Carsten Groen

Thanks guys
I try to do my best
I have made a small personal website, one of the pages shows some of the modules I have made for our hobby: Electronics for RC models
I have also made support for Jeti on many of my systems, more to follow on this in short time.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:10 PM
stewart69

Hello Carsten
The ASSI config tool is driving me crazy, I have changed turbine from Jetcat to Kingtech and need to revise the Channel end points in the Config tool. I just just can’t save the new amounts. What am i doing wrong? I open the config tool, select create file, change parameters, hit save file, close it all down, open it up again and all parameters have not saved. I stress i am an IOS guy and not at all happy using Windows. ;(
Stew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.