Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

SM F-4 tail hook

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

SM F-4 tail hook

Old 07-22-2013, 09:15 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SM F-4 tail hook

Hi,
Has anyone made the SM F-4 tail hook operate?
Thanks,
Jon
Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SM F-4 tail hook

I would love to see this too.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:13 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, I did it on my small Xtreme Jets F-4. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11304949]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11304949[/link]

The only problem is that, so far, I haven't been comfortable enough with the plane to think about deploying it flight!

Hopefully in a few more flights (only 7 or 8 so far - few and far-between), I'll get it down and show the hook as well as the 'chute.

Bob
Old 07-22-2013, 12:22 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the info.
Can you describe how you hinged the hook.
Also, I was thinking of using an air cylinder rather than a servo and was wondering what your thoughts were.
Thanks again for the info.
Jon
Old 07-22-2013, 01:34 PM
rhklenke

Jon,

I used a piece of phenolic sheet to make a tall "horn" that was glued into the hook - at around a 70 degree angle, that would go up into the fuselage. Then I made two plywood supports that went into both sides of the hook, on either side of the horn, and stuck up into the fuselage. I drilled a hole through the hook, from one side to the other, that went through the side of the hook, one plywood support, the phenolic horn, the other plywood support, and the other side of the hook. Through this I inserted a carbon rod as a pivot which was glued to the outside of the hook on both sides - just to keep it in place. Of course the hook itself is hollow, so that is how this pivot structure fits inside the hook itself.

I then cut a hole in the bottom of the fuselage where the hook sits that was just wide enough for the two plywood supports, on either side of the horn, to go through. I made the hole (more like a "slot" actually), long enough so that the horn could pivot the required distance to raise and lower the hook. I inserted the assembly into this slot and Hysol'ed the plywood supports to the inside of the fuselage - being careful not to get any Hysol on the horn or between the horn and the plywood supports.

Once this cured, I could raise and lower the hook by moving the horn forward or aft. The horn was connected to the servo by a cable pushrod, as you see in the pictures.

You could build a similar pivot without the horn in the middle and then use an air cylinder aft of the pivot to raise and lower the hook, but in the end, despite the difficulty in explaining it, the method I used would be simpler - with the benefit that, using the cable pushrod, you can put the actuating device, either servo or air cylinder in a place where it can be easily accessed.

Bob
Old 07-22-2013, 01:43 PM
rhklenke

Apparently I can't edit my own posts?!?! so here's an annotated photo...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49235.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1903028  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:56 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Jon

I have a cable/servo driven tailhook similar to Bob's on my BVM F4. (cudos to Uncle Joe who was the original owner for setting it up)
works and looks great

cheers

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Jon,

I used a piece of phenolic sheet to make a tall ''horn'' that was glued into the hook - at around a 70 degree angle, that would go up into the fuselage. Then I made two plywood supports that went into both sides of the hook, on either side of the horn, and stuck up into the fuselage. I drilled a hole through the hook, from one side to the other, that went through the side of the hook, one plywood support, the phenolic horn, the other plywood support, and the other side of the hook. Through this I inserted a carbon rod as a pivot which was glued to the outside of the hook on both sides - just to keep it in place. Of course the hook itself is hollow, so that is how this pivot structure fits inside the hook itself.

I then cut a hole in the bottom of the fuselage where the hook sits that was just wide enough for the two plywood supports, on either side of the horn, to go through. I made the hole (more like a ''slot'' actually), long enough so that the horn could pivot the required distance to raise and lower the hook. I inserted the assembly into this slot and Hysol'ed the plywood supports to the inside of the fuselage - being careful not to get any Hysol on the horn or between the horn and the plywood supports.

Once this cured, I could raise and lower the hook by moving the horn forward or aft. The horn was connected to the servo by a cable pushrod, as you see in the pictures.

You could build a similar pivot without the horn in the middle and then use an air cylinder aft of the pivot to raise and lower the hook, but in the end, despite the difficulty in explaining it, the method I used would be simpler - with the benefit that, using the cable pushrod, you can put the actuating device, either servo or air cylinder in a place where it can be easily accessed.

Bob