Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM Balsa Bobcat, build photos..

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM Balsa Bobcat, build photos..

Old 04-02-2014, 03:11 AM
Crumpet46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is actually 1 Bobcat 2 Falcons and 2 of the nitroplanes bobcats (same people that make the falcon but smaller)

I didn't do the original paint work myself but each year I tart it up a bit. After 3 years the paintwork unfortunately isn't as smooth and slippery as it was. Still looks great.

I dont use anything for takeoff but with the P80se there's a lot of residual thrust and not much drag. I can literally do 2 circuits on idle. Where did you end up with your COG? I moved mine back by over an inch from factory settings after a year. Huge improvement on inverted and anything involving inverted, especially slow rolls.

Martyn

ps Awesome pic!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:11 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Martyn,

Yes the P80 has a bit of residual thrust, which is why the air brakes were designed I guess.. I know that many of these are flown with P120s, or even 160s!!! which would be interesting...

I did remove the 180 grams of ballast I had in the nose, which will put it behind the factory CG dots, but have not checked its balance against the marks since then. It still requires a wee bit of down elevator to maintain inverted so perhaps a bit more rearward is in order.. ..

BV tends to be very nose heavy conservative with his factory CGs.. I remember the old Balsa Bandit I built. It needed full up trim on its test flight.. Aggravated by the forward fuel tanks which also made it sluggish in the flare if landed with full tanks.. .. It took us a while to ge the CG right on that one..

Roger
Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 AM
Crumpet46

i still need a fair chunk of down on inverted but it is much better.

I was considering a VT80 for mine some time ago, mainly to reduce weight (700g lighter). What flight time are you getting?

I already get 9mins flight time +2mins for gear check pass and landing (11 total) with its 2L wing tanks and a 0.5l main tank + hopper. 9mins is usually 0.75L left to go
Old 02-13-2017, 12:53 PM
omarhazbon

Good afternoon guys,

We are setting up a BVM Bobcat XL and we need a copy of the manual. We cannot find an email to contact BVM directly. Does any body have a PDF copy of this manual that can be shared with us?

Regards,

Omar
Old 02-13-2017, 01:08 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

LMF****

Here is BV's customer service page:

http://bvmjets.com/Pages/custservice.htm
Old 02-13-2017, 01:16 PM
omarhazbon

Thanks a lot Ravill,

We notice this page, but we couldn´t find an email. I think the only way is to make a phone call.

Regards,

Omar
Old 02-13-2017, 01:20 PM
ravill

Here is the email to the pretty Lady 4 pics down on the BVM customer website.

[email protected]

That's Uncle Bob's daughter. She is the best in the business.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:34 PM
omarhazbon

Thanks a lot ravill!
I just send Patty an email.
Regards,
Omar
Old 02-13-2017, 03:23 PM
roger.alli

[QUOTE=omarhazbon;12305951]Thanks a lot ravill!
I just send Patty an email.
Regards,
Omar[

/QUOTE]

Yes indeed. Patty is very helpful. She has been my goto person at BVM for many many years. BVM is sure to have a copy of the manual available, although maybe not in PDF form..

BTW if you only need the Bob cat set up information, you can get this here. http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/tips1.htm

Roger
Old 02-13-2017, 09:41 PM
omarhazbon

Thanks a lot Roger,

The information on the link is very useful! I think its enough for our purposes.

Regards,

Omar
Old 02-13-2017, 10:20 PM
roger.alli

No worries Omar..

Be aware that BVMs recommended control throws are usually very powerful. I would suggest having a lower setting on dual rates available..

His CG also tend to be very conservative forward.. My Bobcat CG is at least 20mm behind the BVM recommended.

Good luck.

Roger
Old 02-14-2017, 10:23 AM
ravill

Listen to Roger Omar, he's got lots of good info!

Roger, how's that 100 coming along? I've had a really BUSY year! LOL

Update your 100 thread!
Old 02-14-2017, 12:37 PM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

Originally Posted by roger.alli
No worries Omar..

Be aware that BVMs recommended control throws are usually very powerful. I would suggest having a lower setting on dual rates available..

His CG also tend to be very conservative forward.. My Bobcat CG is at least 20mm behind the BVM recommended.

Good luck.

Roger
Hello roger, I have had two Bob cats, an older one and an XL. I just got a Composite BC and I have totally forgotten the throws and set up since I was out of the hobby for over 5 years. I'll look up BV site for these info. But can you give me details of your particular set up including throws, Final CG and the turbine down thrust angle which is very important for set up if I remember correctly...Cheers!
BTW, my BC does not have the CG holes in the booms
Old 02-14-2017, 01:59 PM
ChrisPetersen
My Feedback: (3)

I've got a balsa bobcat that's been sitting around for years all painted and pretty much ready for a turbine. It does not have flaps. I put it together thinking it would be a fun weekend jet but other priorities got in the way. I would like to finish it and want some opinions on the best power plant for it. I was looking at the kingtech K160? Too small?
Thanks!
Old 02-14-2017, 03:48 PM
Ehab

K160??? way too much. I had a P120 on my last one and it was very fast. 80-100N is great for everything, 120-140 for amazing verticals...IMHO
Old 02-14-2017, 03:48 PM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Martyn and Roger,
I had a Falcon with a MW54 and fixed gear that weighed about 14 lb. (no ballast)
how does the Bobcat compare, in weight and size?
Have you weighed the Bobcat without the initial nose ballast?
Old 02-14-2017, 04:16 PM
roger.alli

Originally Posted by Ehab
Hello roger, I have had two Bob cats, an older one and an XL. I just got a Composite BC and I have totally forgotten the throws and set up since I was out of the hobby for over 5 years. I'll look up BV site for these info. But can you give me details of your particular set up including throws, Final CG and the turbine down thrust angle which is very important for set up if I remember correctly...Cheers!
BTW, my BC does not have the CG holes in the booms
Hi Ehab,,

For test flying, I set this Bobcat up with the standard factory recommended throws, BUT I also set rate switches so that I had a selection of three rates… 100,% 80%, 60%.

From memory, I test flew with Ali, Elev and Rud all at mid rates of 80%. This had .more than adequate control.

Nowadays I use flight modes on the flap switch.
For take off (no flap) and general flying I like the elevator and ailerons at 80% and 60 % respectively, with about 20% expo.
For landing, I like elevator at 100% no expo, and ailerons at 80% no expo. This gives a bit more control in the circuit.

I have the rudder set at 80% with 20% expo for all flying..

My CG is 3/4" behind the dots. and the motor thrust is set using the factory mounts.. I am unsure if this has any down thrust.. To be honest, My Bobcat does pitch up a little under power, or maybe this is speed related pitch change, But I just live with it.. It is only minor and likely to do with the twin boom lay out.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00261.JPG
Views:	1648
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	2201090  

Last edited by roger.alli; 02-14-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:24 PM
roger.alli

Originally Posted by ChrisPetersen
I've got a balsa bobcat that's been sitting around for years all painted and pretty much ready for a turbine. It does not have flaps. I put it together thinking it would be a fun weekend jet but other priorities got in the way. I would like to finish it and want some opinions on the best power plant for it. I was looking at the kingtech K160? Too small?
Thanks!
Well..... I'm confident a Bobcat K160 will be just fine in a Balsa Bobcat, but you had better de-rate it to around 18lbs if you would like it to last. (Bobcats were designed for the P-60 and P-80!!!) The residual thrust may be a problem as the non flapped versions do tend to approach very flat.. But I'm sure it will work if the K-160 is the engine you have ..
Old 02-14-2017, 04:47 PM
roger.alli

Originally Posted by alasdair
Martyn and Roger,
I had a Falcon with a MW54 and fixed gear that weighed about 14 lb. (no ballast)
how does the Bobcat compare, in weight and size?
Have you weighed the Bobcat without the initial nose ballast?
Hi Alasdar

My Bobcat std weight is 8.25 kg, dry ready to fly (no ballast). 18.5 lbs. I think the Bob cat is a wee bit bigger than the Falcon 120. At 14 lbs it should be a great performer.. light = good..
Old 02-14-2017, 04:49 PM
roger.alli

Originally Posted by ravill

Update your 100 thread!
Hey Rav..

I have a few more flight on the Hun now.. I guess I should up date the thread... Stand by.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:58 PM
ChrisPetersen
My Feedback: (3)

Guys I screws up on the 160.. my bad. I meant k60. I would prefer a k100 just for other projects . I guess my question should have been what would be the ultimate fun turbine for it.
thanks agai.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:09 PM
Ehab

Thx Roger, great info.

I set up my planes with 30-35% expo and full throw, I like them to feel like when I fly small full scale planes that I had flown. No flight modes.

Looking at your engine, it looks like you may want to try a couple of 1mm washers, or two, under the front turbine mount, this should give you better inverted flight and no pitch up with full throttle. If you try it, plz let me know how it goes.

I may use an 80 or 120 on mine, have not decided yet......
Old 02-15-2017, 01:00 PM
omarhazbon

Hello Roger,

Thank you for the advise. I will use your CG location, it will probably take-off and land slower.

Patty send me the manual in PDF, Thanks a lot for the email.

Regards,

Omar
Old 02-15-2017, 01:02 PM
omarhazbon

Originally Posted by ravill

Update your 100 thread!
Hello Ravill! I will follow roger advise. I got an email today from BVM (Heather) with the BobCat Manual in PDF. I will keep you guys informed about our flights.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,

Omar
Old 02-15-2017, 01:19 PM
Mike06659

Beautiful work!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.