Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ripmax Xcalibur Sports jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ripmax Xcalibur Sports jet

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 06:23 AM
Grodus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was finally able to catch to the weather good enough during a day off for a madien yesterday. Im using a Wren SS for push and this was my first experience with a Wren. Im very pleased, no surprises except that its faster than I thought it would be. I think its at least the speed of my Rabbit powered Flash. With the amount of fuel capacity, I think 10+ min is very safe.
I didnt buy the gear package. My wheels and tires came from HobbyKing for $17 a pair and before you laugh, I think they are the exact same wheels/tires sold with the Xcalibur gear package. I used a set of 25mm Airpower brakes which are quite a bit smaller than the inside of the wheel. THe result is a very consitant, even braking with no wheel lock without any sort of proprtional valve or lube!. I cant see any differences in stopping power from 30-100psi. Very happy with that!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xcalibur madien.JPG
Views:	1151
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	1990404  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:27 AM
Grodus

Originally Posted by Boomer258
I am interested to know what retract units and legs you used with the HK wheels etc ?
On the mains, I used Airpower 250 retract units and Prolinks bobcat struts because I already had these on hand. The nose unit is a Prolinks Sidwinder with the Tornado V3/ Saberdog strut.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:09 AM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those that have the Xcalibur and also have a Boomerang I am interested to know how you would compare the 2 jets ?
I think to be fair you mite want to specify which model Boomerang you are trying to compare. Boomerang have a few different models with different price tag. To be honest I hope you have plenty of pop corn. Not even going to bother to say what I would prefer. Just enjoy flying your models.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:21 AM
jetster81

For those that have the Xcalibur and also have a Boomerang I am interested to know how you would compare the 2 jets ?
they all fly well, just go for what floats your boat really.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:11 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Its a better sorted package, it's "finished", accessories, instructions, little detail Most of the Boomerang range never got that treatment and it was aimed at beginners!. Nothing wrong with the way any of the Boomer models fly, but the Xcalibur is better in so many different ways. I guess the way it has sold in Europe shows that. This last batch sold out quicker than expected, I only just managed to get stock from the last few available and those need to keep me going until mid June!

Price wise its not a lot more than a wooden Nano and less than a wooden Sprint.

Dw
Old 04-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Threads like this help in the construction for the beginner but the kit does have some short comings. For the price and flying qualities its pretty good but could use some improvement.

I found a number of wooden formers not glued in ( the tank one seems to be a common one ). The flight surface hinge edge are not quite straight resulting in inconsistent gaps on the hinge line.The threaded rods are junk - either too long and not enough thread or so poorly cut that the clevis won't go on. The covering trim needs to be carefully checked and ironed down. The gear though nice has the air fittings going in whatever direction making for an interesting airline layout. The gear also needs to have all the screws locktited. Mine actually had grease on the threads!.

None of these issues are deal breakers but just a little extra care in the manufacturing would go a long way in making this product all the better. Hopefully the manufacturer listens to experienced jet modelers and the next batch is improved upon.

Dean W.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Grodus

I agree Dean, there were several little things that could be inproved on. The hinging, beveling of the control surfaces being to most significant to me. I should have caught this but I already had the ailerons installed when i realized the factory bevel on the ailerons would not allow for the recommended control throw before the servo started to draw too much amperage. The result is a roll rate that Im not happy with but i will live with it for now and maybe cut the ailerons off and re-bevel as a winter project. Nose cone doesnt mate real well with the fuse but no biggie. On my ailerons and elevator, I was not able to get the servo wire out of the wing or elevator without and extention. So I would need an extention, to mate up with an extention. Extentions are possible failure points to me so I dont want to use them if I dont have too. Maybe HiTec wires are shorter than others? Anyway. I took the right aileron servo mounting plate, used it on the left wing and vice versa. THis allowed the servo wire and more direct route to the exit tube and eliminated the need for an extention, but this changes the distance from the servo arm to the control horn so the stock pushrods were too long. I routed the elevator servo wire the to the opposite boom that was in the manual. This also eliminated an extention.
Its a really good buy in my opinion, but room for small improvement that wouldnt drive up production cost.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:08 PM
ausfester

My build was pretty great to be honest, mounting turbine a tad tight, my hitec servos we're a perfect reach for alerons without extension.
Same old little extra glue in some real easy places to reach, but otherwise fantastic model for the price.
A couple stickers on leading edge made for an interesting noise during flight even after i used an iron but nothing 5 minutes of tweaking hasn't fixed.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:19 PM
Dave Wilshere

Some valid points that have already been fed back to the factory. I've had a greater number through my hands than most and can honestly say things like Linkages have not been an issue, mine were all used and good as they came from the packet. I personally don't see adding an extension lead a problem, I can't think of a model I built where they don't have ext in the wings etc. The model was designed around Futaba servos as that is what Ripmax have represented since time began.
Formers and nose cone fit has popped up a few times, its all fed back to the factory by the guy leading the project at Ripmax.
Its very early days for the Xcalibur, I get annoyed when 2 years after a product is released the faults are still there.

Dave
Old 05-01-2014, 12:01 AM
jetster81

Great to know that the chaps at Ripmax are reacting to the feed back of customers and will continue to improve the Xcalibur and I hope that with its success they will be encouraged to produce other Turbine models at competitive prices for us. I have a list of potential prototypes if they are looking for ideas !
Old 05-03-2014, 12:08 AM
Dave Wilshere

Ripmax are increasing the spares capability as more aircraft are flown and they find out what people need. Latest is individual retract units, before they were only listed as a set of three. All three units are the same, so that is good news.
Makes all the difference being able to buy spares, Nose pins, nose and main legs have been available for a little while.

Dw
Old 05-03-2014, 04:50 AM
PVS41960

Dave
Is it possible to get a bare bone airframe with no paint & covering ?
Paul

Last edited by PVS41960; 05-03-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:11 AM
Dave Wilshere

I doubt it because of mass production and keeping price down. Tracking the kit in a container etc. I thought about stripping and doing a unique scheme...but you just never know when a new scheme might be offered you like anyway.

I was going to take off the blue trim, change to green and blow over fuselage blue green, I like my Sebart model green, red, white so much.

Dave
Old 05-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Justflying1

Dave maybe I'm not thinking out side the square but how can it not be possible for the manufacturer to send a model plain. ( no covering or paint ).
I mean a dealer makes an order with company and when he does this he orders one plane as bare bones.
There are manufacturers who would do this so I can't see why they would not do this.
Maybe there is more into it than the way I'm thinking.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:04 PM
PVS41960

Dave
To bad a bare bones option is not available to us modelers. With that said, & after seeing Mike Saleeby's military scheme fly at Florida Jets; I decided to dress her up by removing the Yellow & replace it with fluoresent orange to make her more visible. I'm not quit finished yet but here are a few pic's.
Paul

Last edited by PVS41960; 05-11-2014 at 03:33 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:31 AM
kmrcjets

hi all. for aussie customers I am picking up six xcaliburs on Thursday won't have a retail price till then but I know the cost has
gone up due to the value of our dollar compared to the us dollar sorry can't do much about that. three in sport scheme and
three in military there won't be any more for at least three months
ken
Old 05-06-2014, 02:31 AM
ausfester

geeze they'll go quick, you guys better get in fast
Old 05-07-2014, 03:55 AM
Dave Wilshere

Available Late June in Europe. This new scheme is an addition to the range.

www2.ripmax.net/Item.aspx?ItemID=A-JSM001/R
Old 05-07-2014, 04:07 AM
Dave Wilshere

More details soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A-JSM001-R.jpg
Views:	1059
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1993226  
Old 05-07-2014, 04:09 AM
jetster81

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere

More details soon.
Groan, I like that but I'm not going to get another one. Yes, very nice.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:55 AM
Dave Wilshere

Like cars and women, different things appeal...This was my favorite of the options they looked at.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well..they'll sell a lot in the UK!

Tally Hoooooooooooo!
Dean W.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:51 AM
Dave Wilshere

Sure if there is a big demand a Canadian scheme could be done!
Old 05-07-2014, 07:59 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sure if there is a big demand a Canadian scheme could be done!
Blue Angel and Snowbirds schemes to cover the bases.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:55 AM
izzy

could they not have come out with this a month earlier
oh well , gives me a good idea of what i need to paint

More details soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.