Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ripmax Xcalibur Sports jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ripmax Xcalibur Sports jet

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 04:07 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by i3dm
Hello Dave, and All,

Im happy to say in the past 2 days i managed to get 5 flights on the Xcalibur with P-80 and she is a hoot to fly!

pretty fast, lots of power, totally aerobatic (high speed snaps not an issue!), and still floats to a super easy touchdown and wheelie's down the runway like a real floater.

the only thing i still miss is a bit more rudder authority, as even on max throw i have to push on the throttle to hold knife edge.
overall, as an expirienced pilot, im very impressed with this model's flying characteristics. great all around jet, lots of fun to fly.
and P-80 setup works perfect

Flight video from today - flight #3 of this model. sorry for the quality - taken with a cell phone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq974xb7tAk
Old 09-26-2015, 11:29 PM
g_boxwood

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yesterday I flew the Xcalibur again and I'm delighted with it. Due my personal fault, the left main gear did not come down on the last flight and after trying a few times to get it down I decided to land anyway as I was not expecting any surprises.

I was right, I settled the plane on a regular floating landing, a little bit more power, touched down with almost no vertical speed and on both the nose and the right main gear and I kept it level as long as I could. Even when the wingtip eventually dropped, it continued to track straight until the very end when the speed became too low. No damage at all, not even on the wing tip (due to the very soft grass) on which I didn't mount the supplied skid.

The fully deflected flap does not touch the ground in this unusual attitude, this is very good. I'm loving this plane more and more.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:11 AM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Hello i3dm and anybody interested.
Just like you I am looking for a new home for my old P80. And just like you I have been looking at the Xcalibur plus but been a bit taken back by the price tag, especially when taking into account the delivery cost to Sweden. I have not yet decided which way I will go but I must admit that your postings and video raised my interest.

But as I understand it the fuselage of the Xcalibur standard is a little bit narrow for a 112 mm. case turbine, like the P80? Did you find it troublesome to get it in place? What is your opinion on that? Do you think it would be possible for you to publish some photos of the turbine installation?
Also, I am really looking for a gentle, more slowly flying and stable kind of thing than something hot and I guess that points in the direction of the plus. Do you have any suggestions on that?
Jannica in Sweden
Old 09-27-2015, 01:27 AM
i3dm

Originally Posted by Jannica
Hello i3dm and anybody interested.
Just like you I am looking for a new home for my old P80. And just like you I have been looking at the Xcalibur plus but been a bit taken back by the price tag, especially when taking into account the delivery cost to Sweden. I have not yet decided which way I will go but I must admit that your postings and video raised my interest.

But as I understand it the fuselage of the Xcalibur standard is a little bit narrow for a 112 mm. case turbine, like the P80? Did you find it troublesome to get it in place? What is your opinion on that? Do you think it would be possible for you to publish some photos of the turbine installation?
Also, I am really looking for a gentle, more slowly flying and stable kind of thing than something hot and I guess that points in the direction of the plus. Do you have any suggestions on that?
Jannica in Sweden
Please see post #1504, it contains pictures of the P-80 installation:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...l#post12092479

If you are looking for a slow cruiser, i would go for the +. while mine flys great with a P-80, the wing loading on the + should be lower.

Last edited by i3dm; 09-27-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:56 AM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks i3dm!

Just what I was looking for.

Jannica
Old 09-27-2015, 03:02 AM
i3dm

Originally Posted by Jannica
Thanks i3dm!

Just what I was looking for.

Jannica
Happy to help! if you need anything else let me know.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:51 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Happy to help! if you need anything else let me know.
Well since you asked.. I have been wanting this plane for some time, but have been put off because I read that a P-80se wont fit. Nice to see you prove em wrong I3DM.

I also hear rumour that Ripmax is soon releasing an 80-100 size.. Is there any truth to this? anyone have a link?

I would also like to know if the gear from a Sprint Jet will work in this plane. I recently lost mine after 700 flights. Everything is fine and would make an easy swap into this model. P-80 and all
Old 09-27-2015, 07:10 AM
i3dm

Anything fits with a bit of elbow grease
the current X is 100 size, so i dont see another 100 size being released?
i believe the sprint gear is not a direct fit to the xcalibur wheel wells, but as we said - anything fits with a bit of elbow grease

Here is the landing that for some reason got away from the original video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs_wi6Ry6gI
Old 09-27-2015, 07:13 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks.. i dont have a problem with modifications. Ohh boy... Ive become that guys with a million questions lol..

Can you tell me the length of the struts from retract to wheel pin. pls.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:27 AM
i3dm

Originally Posted by Vettster
Thanks.. i dont have a problem with modifications. Ohh boy... Ive become that guys with a million questions lol..

Can you tell me the length of the struts from retract to wheel pin. pls.
my retracts are not stock, so i will leave this in Dave's trusted hands
Old 09-28-2015, 04:43 AM
i3dm

For those with smoke setups and air retracts - which smoke tank did you use, how did you mount it, and where do you mount the air tank/s?
Old 09-28-2015, 08:36 AM
Fly Mower

Originally Posted by g_boxwood
Yesterday I flew the Xcalibur again and I'm delighted with it. Due my personal fault, the left main gear did not come down on the last flight and after trying a few times to get it down I decided to land anyway as I was not expecting any surprises.
Just out of interest, what did you do to stop the left main gear working.?
Old 09-28-2015, 01:22 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Been without RCU in the office most of the day since it was playing its sign out game and I didn't have time to reset everything. Home now, but the leg lengths are on the thread somewhere (in the last month or so)
The present Xcalibur is a (the) 80-100 size, just in small case size turbines only. (unless you do a hatchet job)
As said other gear will fit, but none is a drop in fit.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:04 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I give... how are you drilling the holes for the retract air lines. Nothing I have seems to fit in the required space to do the job.

I'm a heli guy... used to kits that just bolt together.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:08 PM
Canadian Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 205 Likes on 145 Posts

For those with smoke setups and air retracts - which smoke tank did you use, how did you mount it, and where do you mount the air tank/s?
I mounted my air tanks beside front gear pocket. Had to cut one of the formers and replace a section but no big deal. Used silicone to hold in place.

Mounted a plywood plate on top of the fuel tank. Powerbox smoke pump at front of plate and tank behind.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:11 PM
Canadian Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 205 Likes on 145 Posts

I posted pictures somewhere back in this thread and it shows my smoke setup details.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:18 PM
Fly Mower

Originally Posted by sillyness
OK I give... how are you drilling the holes for the retract air lines. Nothing I have seems to fit in the required space to do the job.

You have two options:

1) Heat-up the tip of a length of piano wire and effectively 'poke and burn' a small opening - needs to be big enough to get you started with a small file, which you will then use to get to the final size hole you need.

2) Use a Dremell with a Sphere Double Cutt Burr (google them - it's a round 'spherical' cutting tool). You use it like a drill but you can approach the face to be cut 'off axis'. Once done you then again use a file to complete the job.

I used method two and it worked great!
Old 09-30-2015, 04:08 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Tremblay
Dansy,

Is your Xcaliber to be installed with an EDF and if so, could you confirm the brand & size. My intention is to go with a DS94 DIA HST on 14s. I would like to stay away from kerosene...

Any recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks,

Robert
Sorry I missed this, no mine is setup with my Kingtech K100
Old 09-30-2015, 04:23 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyness

Used my dremel with a long drill bit ⅛" , drill a the small hole at a steep angle then file it up to get the line in.....the worst job in this assembly....but still fairly easy.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:31 AM
Fly Mower

Perfect weather at the field! And the steering cable has snapped, fortunately found it on the pre-flight inspection.

What type should I get as a replacement - maybe fishing trace wire (the plastic covered stuff)..?

Any guidance on type to get / avoid and what braking strain do I need..?

Thanks in advance.

Lee.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:42 AM
r 3

maybe fishing trace wire (the plastic covered stuff)..?
That's what I use 7 strand nylon covered wire 50lbs.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:55 AM
Fly Mower

Originally Posted by r 3
That's what I use 7 strand nylon covered wire 50lbs.
Great! Is that about the same thickness as the stuff supplied with the kit..?
Old 10-03-2015, 02:20 PM
Dave Wilshere

Nev's Xcalibur flew today, perfect build (first jet) couple of peeps of trim and that's it.
Well done Neville.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0243.JPG
Views:	1010
Size:	456.0 KB
ID:	2123353   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0262.JPG
Views:	938
Size:	507.6 KB
ID:	2123354   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0279.JPG
Views:	968
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	2123355   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0281.JPG
Views:	988
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	2123356   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0282.JPG
Views:	985
Size:	452.4 KB
ID:	2123357   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0288.JPG
Views:	1060
Size:	382.9 KB
ID:	2123358  
Old 10-04-2015, 06:39 AM
Nev01

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Nev's Xcalibur flew today, perfect build (first jet) couple of peeps of trim and that's it.
Well done Neville.
I haven't stopped grinning from ear to ear after the first flight of my Xcalibur yesterday. After a thorough check over from Dave Wilshere he claimed it airworthy and ready to go. I was never going to maiden her myself so I gave Dave the task as I new it couldn't have been in safer hands. It made my day when Dave declared her a good un and handed me the transmitter for a few circuits. I claimed early on that this was probably going to be the longest Xcalibur build and I don't think I have disappointed anyone. After turning up to a number of JMA meets over the year without my Xcalibur I think Dave was beginning to believe I was never going to get it finished, but, I got there eventually.

I must take this opportunity to thank all the forumites who have offered their help and advice over the last number of months whilst I've been slowly putting my first jet together.
Special thanks has to go to Dave Wilshere who has helped me in all areas of the build. He has taken the time to answer all my questions put to him on the forum, face to face and over the phone. It is without doubt he does this for all who seeks his help. I personally don't know how he finds the time and energy considering he has a business to run, a magazine to write for, helps to develop new airframes, is chairman of the JMA and attends jet meets all over the country and abroad!!!

My first RC flight was about five years ago (I'm a late starter) and I would never of guessed that it would have lead to this, what have I been missing?

Nev.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Dave Wilshere

Nev
You were clearly 'born' for this hobby, tidy build and no nerves on your first (twiddle) :-)

it it was another great day at the JMA's LM event today

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.