Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ripmax Xcalibur Sports jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ripmax Xcalibur Sports jet

Old 01-29-2016, 10:22 AM
DenisFerrari

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile More flights...more fun

Hi all,
just had few more flights with my Xcalibur…I confirm same I said just after test flights last summer : amazing!

Flight after flight feeling gets better of course and I’m really impressed about how nicely this model seems balanced at low, average and even high speed, with no flap, mid flap and full flap too (of course with some proportional down elevator mix).

CG for me is 170mm and I feel it perfect for my flying style.

Nice, smooth and very elegant in flight and doing aerobatics is so good too.

Landing no problems at all, not many flights so far, but I can be very precise on touchdown…more/less like I love to do with all other fixed wings model I fly

And it’s so good learning "energy management" with this model, it nicely tends to keep the energy and speed…very interesting and good for learning I believe.

Good handling on the floor too…

…what else should I want with such a Jet trainer model ?

P.S. Hope you like few attached photos of an “happy rc modeller” + a great jet trainer model

...Thank you again Dave!

Kind regards
Denis
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160128_135031_Small.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	2144110   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160128_135020_small.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2144111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5955.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	2144112   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5952.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	912.8 KB
ID:	2144113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG4896.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	2144114   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150911_122035.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	3.45 MB
ID:	2144115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG4901.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	2144116  

Last edited by DenisFerrari; 01-29-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:38 AM
Flaps2012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a good time Denis! I'm in the process of getting one of these gems from Global Jet Club here in the states. I hope to have it ready to go by the time the snow melts here. I notice you are from the Bologna are of Italy. Would really like to visit there someday for the sole purpose of touring the Ducati factory!

Dave W. - I never considered the overhanging tail as an aid in orientation. As you have a lot of experience with this airframe, I will take your word. Really looking forward to my first foray into turbines!

-Jeremy
Old 01-29-2016, 01:02 PM
DenisFerrari

Originally Posted by Flaps2012
Looks like a good time Denis! I'm in the process of getting one of these gems from Global Jet Club here in the states. I hope to have it ready to go by the time the snow melts here. I notice you are from the Bologna are of Italy. Would really like to visit there someday for the sole purpose of touring the Ducati factory!

Dave W. - I never considered the overhanging tail as an aid in orientation. As you have a lot of experience with this airframe, I will take your word. Really looking forward to my first foray into turbines!

-Jeremy
Jeremy,
yes, do all the steps as described in the manual + in this excellent forum thread and it will be a success.

And for any problem, stick with Dave W. suggestions and huge experience : he's the man (you already know this).

Kind regards
Denis

P.S. ...I see Lamborghini plant from my kitchen window, just 30km from Maranello where Ferrari plant is and 15 Km from Ducati factory too...think, I was in Ducati for a business meeting last monday...but this is another story. If you'll ever came here around, well, just give me a shout, you'll be able to visit all 3 in 3 days
Old 01-29-2016, 02:16 PM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

Denis,
That is quite a beautiful flying site you have there! I have had my Xcalibur since the first shipment Global Jet Club received, and have over 100 flights on mine and you are correct - very fun plane!
Old 01-29-2016, 02:22 PM
DenisFerrari

Yes we're very lucky indeed to have such a marvellous flying field.

I look fwd one day to reach 100 flights with mine too

Last edited by DenisFerrari; 01-29-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:04 AM
SR117

Hi Guys

Result of my elevation issue: ie plane rises sharply when thrust applied.

Added the 3mm to the stab/rear wing.....by using washers. 3mm was suggested by Izzy using a shim...I will make one up now.

I took out the up thrust on the engine and took out my trims for elevator.

Put my COG back to 163 lighter bty.

Result: Plane flew nicely.
Plane did not rise..slight down this time on normal flight..didnt rise on full throttle.

Negative: When inverted the plane nosed down some what...sharp enough to be very noticable. ie holding down elevator in to keep it level.

I then put the heavy battery back in ...makes COG about 170.. a little change but not much..

Overall the plane is now a much nice plane to fly.....not sure what to do about the lack of neutral or the prefered slight drop off when inverted.

Dropping when inverted would normally mean COG nose heavy....to me...but maybe I have that wrong.
When right way it drops slightly but just how I like it..ie about 1 click of trim...

Thinking I may live with it and put a gyro in if I get too upset...but to be honest everything else is fantastic..lands slow...flys nice...

As the stab has 3mm up at the front of the stab I would have expected inverted to push it up...but maybe I have that wrong..it certainly has fixed the normal level upright flight issue.

I had considered that the wing maybe have an incidence issue but ill look into that if I can get a device to check it...but too be honest im still really happy with the aircraft. So will probably fly as is now...thanks Izzy and Dave for all your input ....

And Scott for your comments.. They all helped a lot.

Rob
Old 02-01-2016, 05:24 AM
izzy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SR117
Hi Guys

Result of my elevation issue: ie plane rises sharply when thrust applied.

Added the 3mm to the stab/rear wing.....by using washers. 3mm was suggested by Izzy using a shim...I will make one up now.

I took out the up thrust on the engine and took out my trims for elevator.

Put my COG back to 163 lighter bty.

Result: Plane flew nicely.
Plane did not rise..slight down this time on normal flight..didnt rise on full throttle.

Negative: When inverted the plane nosed down some what...sharp enough to be very noticable. ie holding down elevator in to keep it level.

I then put the heavy battery back in ...makes COG about 170.. a little change but not much..

Overall the plane is now a much nice plane to fly.....not sure what to do about the lack of neutral or the prefered slight drop off when inverted.

Dropping when inverted would normally mean COG nose heavy....to me...but maybe I have that wrong.
When right way it drops slightly but just how I like it..ie about 1 click of trim...

Thinking I may live with it and put a gyro in if I get too upset...but to be honest everything else is fantastic..lands slow...flys nice...

As the stab has 3mm up at the front of the stab I would have expected inverted to push it up...but maybe I have that wrong..it certainly has fixed the normal level upright flight issue.

I had considered that the wing maybe have an incidence issue but ill look into that if I can get a device to check it...but too be honest im still really happy with the aircraft. So will probably fly as is now...thanks Izzy and Dave for all your input ....

And Scott for your comments.. They all helped a lot.

Rob
Rob
thanks for the info
at first when i added the 3mm round ply shim washers ( were about 10-12mm in diameter) i had also tilted the turbine withthe back end facing down ( ie added down thrust )
this worked the best and gave me an excellent neutral position
when i took out the down thrust from the turnine , it didnt feel as right
therefor suggest try one more time with the engine tilted donw ( ie front side aboutr 8-10 mm higher ) and see how that works for you
CG is at 170

goodluck
Old 02-01-2016, 12:45 PM
SR117

Hi Izzy
just clarifying....
you recommend lifting the engine 8mm at front...
ie 8mm on top off the slope that they have in it in the mount..
i mean it's on a slope already...increase it....

thats ok ok just wanted to double check..before I do it....
Rob
Old 02-01-2016, 09:06 PM
izzy

Originally Posted by SR117
Hi Izzy
just clarifying....
you recommend lifting the engine 8mm at front...
ie 8mm on top off the slope that they have in it in the mount..
i mean it's on a slope already...increase it....

thats ok ok just wanted to double check..before I do it....
Rob
Rob
Correct. Here is the spacers I added under mount raising the FRONT of the motor
Old 02-01-2016, 09:07 PM
izzy

Can't add pics from iPhone. Will add later from pc
Old 02-02-2016, 05:18 AM
izzy

Name:	IMG_1693.JPG
Views:	950
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	2144831  
Old 02-02-2016, 05:37 AM
SR117

Thanks Izzy
Old 02-15-2016, 05:15 PM
Flaps2012

Well, I received my Xcalibur, turbine (Kingtech K100G), and other related items to complete the jet. One item I purchased by mistake is a high flow MAP bubble trap with obscenely large fuel line nipples. This is probably overkill on fuel flow for the K100, I decided to go with it as upgrading the fuel line size on the suction side cant hurt anything, right? One problem area however is reducing the 3/16 Tygon down to 4mm going from the bubble trap to the fuel pump. I'm wondering if a 6mm to 4mm reducer would do the trick here. If my math is correct, the 3/16 ID of the Tygon should fit snugly over the 6mm side of the reducer, and then 4mm polyurethane tubing on to the fuel pump. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts!

~ Jeremy
Old 02-15-2016, 11:30 PM
Fly Mower

Jeremy,

I have been through this with a GBR CAT. (See post 1307# Page 53 onward in this thread).

If you use something like the Festo range of reducers (the brass type not the plastic pressure fittings) the dimensions refer to the Outside Diameter (OD) of the tube. So a 6/4 reducer is actually for 6mm (OD) Poly Tube to 4mm (OD) Poly Tube.

3/16 Tygon has a 8mm (OD) & 4.8mm (ID) and that's too big for the large side of the 6/4 Festo reducer.

You have three Options:

1) 3/16 Tygon > Festo 8/6 Reducer > 6mm Poly > Festo 6/4 Reducer > 4mm Poly on to the pump.

2) 3/16 Tygon > Festo 8/6 Reducer > 1/8 Tygon to the pump (Pump nipple will need a short length of 4mm poly fitted first; you slide the Tygon over the 4mm poly).

3) You make a 8/4 reducer - This is what I eventually did!

Pics below show Option 1 and then Option 3.

And remember to wire wrap all the connections!

Cheers,

Lee.

Ps. There is an Option 4. Buy a new UAT with smaller nipples :-)

Name:	2015-06-18 15.24.51-1.jpg
Views:	1061
Size:	827.8 KB
ID:	2147572   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-11 17.53.32.jpg
Views:	1160
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	2147573  

Last edited by Fly Mower; 02-15-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:00 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts

Although you don't need the HF MAP Bubble trap, like you say it does no harm. I can get the stock BVM/SMC 6mm clear tube over the fitting on the HF. Have done on all my installs.
I then use the barbed or QSM step down (4.8-3.5mm barb) or 6-4 QSM.

I put a pair of clean round nose pliers inside the tube and stretch, turn 90 degrees and stretch again, and slide it on. It does need strong fingers, but works just fine.

I'll talk with John at MAP about making a step down that will take 4mm tube (it is possible to machine down the supplied version in a lathe and use that)

Dave

Name:	DSC_1365.JPG
Views:	924
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	2147580   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1368.JPG
Views:	957
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	2147581   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1369.JPG
Views:	951
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	2147582  
Old 02-16-2016, 06:15 AM
Flaps2012

Thanks for your ideas gentlemen. I believe that Fly Mower's option number two would work well with the supplied reducer that came with the MAP. I think it is a 3/16 to 1/8 reducer (ID). I can then use a short length of 4mm poly on the fuel pump nipple, and slide 1/8 Tygon over that. The Kingtech manual even suggests something similar when using the BVM UAT. I will have all of next week to play with it as I am finally getting to take a little vacation time (WOOHOO!). I think I may also take a crack at making my own reducer just to see if I am able to do it. Once I get it done I will post some pictures. Thanks again!

~ Jeremy
Old 02-17-2016, 07:49 AM
r 3

Hi
Well I did a well over due service on my Xcalibur today. When I stripped down my brakes I found them full of mud. As I fly from a grass field it may be good practice to check them a bit more often. To be honest I have not checked them since I got the plane. So brakes all cleaned up and working fine all the crap from last year’s flying cleaned off the fuselage it looks like a newplane now. Ran up the P100 it started first time and put a tank of fuel throughit.

PS
It would be nice to have a small Xcalibur next to it.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:31 PM
emilsanto
My Feedback: (39)

I was looking at landing gear for this jet. I don't see a electric gear option jus the air retracts.? don't see it on global jets or dreamworks rc. they have it for the boomerang sprint's
has anyone tried a electric retract set from some other manufacture.?
thanks
Old 02-18-2016, 09:50 PM
Fly Mower

Electron make a set of Electric retracts that a few here have fitted.....

https://www.electron-retracts.com/pr...calibur-combo/

The standard air retracts from Ripmax are very very good also.....
Old 02-19-2016, 03:38 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by emilsanto
I was looking at landing gear for this jet. I don't see a electric gear option jus the air retracts.? don't see it on global jets or dreamworks rc. they have it for the boomerang sprint's
has anyone tried a electric retract set from some other manufacture.?
thanks
http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...ic-Combo-Basic

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...tric-Combo-Pro
Old 02-19-2016, 09:32 AM
Flaps2012

It looks like the electric retracts from Dreamworks are for the Xcalibur Plus. I am new to the jet and could very well be wrong, but I think the Xcalibur Plus has different retracts than the Xcalibur
Old 02-19-2016, 10:54 AM
Si_B

I'm pretty sure the Xcalibur and the Plus do not share the same retracts. However I can say the standard air retracts are very good quality. Flew mine last weekend for the first time since October and the retracts still had air in the system. Can't beat them for the price.

Simon
Old 02-19-2016, 01:04 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Based on our data from all the customers that bought this jet and the plus size, the stock LG system is actually more reliable than the electric version. One problem reported was a single case of the filling valve leaking. That can be replaced by either Robart, BVM and other valves commonly available if you see experiencing the same problem or simply get a new replacement valve from us. I think they have done a great job making this LG set in comparison to other jet brands we've carries.

Mike.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:52 PM
emilsanto
My Feedback: (39)

Originally Posted by mikedenilin
Based on our data from all the customers that bought this jet and the plus size, the stock LG system is actually more reliable than the electric version. One problem reported was a single case of the filling valve leaking. That can be replaced by either Robart, BVM and other valves commonly available if you see experiencing the same problem or simply get a new replacement valve from us. I think they have done a great job making this LG set in comparison to other jet brands we've carries.

Mike.
do you have combo for the xcaliber sport like you do for the sprint the Boomerang Sprint Combo Deluxe.?.
I did want the electric gear as it was one less thing to do at the field.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:27 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Dreamworks can put together an electric version plus the kit. You can buy the combo from them as they are also our dealer for the Xcalibur. We only have blue angel in stock now but the sport and other schemes are ready at the factory waiting to loan up into our container.

Mike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.