Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    A friend of mine came up with the idea and installed it on all his jets. It is a crocheting needle bought from a craft store. They are hollow and come in different sizes. He drills a hole in the pointed end and cuts it off to the desired length. Then he drilles a hole for a brass tube a little bit bigger than the needle in the nose of the airplane and glues the brass tube into the nose. The brass tube is crimped on the inside end so the pitot tube will slide in from the front. That way it is removable for transport and replaceable in case it gets damaged. Then he solderes a smaller brass tube inside the back end of the pitot to hook the tubing to for the airspeed sensor. Then he wraps a little tape around the tube where it slides in the brass tube to make a nice snug fit and now you have a working pitot tube!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks for the info. Can you send pictures of the inside with the fuel and radio setup?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    We are still in the middle of that part. Waiting on a couple of parts to come in. Fuel tank is a 100 oz. Dubro and smoke tanks are 2 dubro 24 oz. The fuel tank fits well with a minor modification to the existing radio tray. I will be going over there tomorrow and will take some interior pics.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I will post some pictures of mine in few days, I am almost in the final stage, installed the original fuel tank comes from Aviation design, fits perfectly and the UAT tanks. Installed Merlin 90 kerostart and Jet1A landing gear which was on my Elan with little modication.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    These are the pictures of the servo tray and nose mod and homemade pitot tube. We started the radio and electronics install after these were taken but I didn't get any pictures of it. Should be finishing up everything next weekend and then we will just be waiting on the struts for the retracts to arrive so we can get it ready for the maiden!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phoenix details 001.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	1971331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phoenix details 002.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	1971332Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phoenix details 003.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	1971333Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phoenix details 004.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	1971334

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Here is my finished phoenix. One flight so far because i had a nose gear issue. Luckily the pitot tube was long enough to keep the fuse off the pavement and Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140427_150724.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	1990497it didnt hurt the bottom of the airplane! One of the steering wires hung up so it didnt lock down. The airplane flew well but it sure wagged the tail! I may put a gyro on it to help that problem. Weighs 20 pounds dry with k80e for power. 100 oz. fuel and 48 oz. smoke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Name:	chris phone 081.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	1990519Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chris phone 075.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	436.8 KB 
ID:	1990524Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chris phone 079.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	436.3 KB 
ID:	1990528 finally got it to work.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well done Chris. Looking real good.
    Try to re-bridge the bottom of the front fuselage bulkhead. This participates in the wing-to-fuselage strength and is required to sustain maximum G's.
    What do you mean by the airplane wagging the tail? These normally fly on rails without gyros.
    Oli.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The tail wobbles left to right during straight and level flight. I have only flown it once and it was pretty windy at the time so maybe that had something to do with it. We re-strengthened that area you mentioned after we put the fuel tank in, but thanks for the info anyway. Cant wait till the wind quits blowing so much so i can get a few more flights on it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teZoL...ature=youtu.be

Flight 2 and 3 on my new phoenix. Crazy takeoff on first flight and wheels up landing on the second but no damage to the airplane. Forward to 4 minutes in to get to first takeoff. Second takeoff I rolled the power on slower so it didn't torque on takeoff. The brake line fouled up the left retract on the second landing so I landed wheels up instead of taking a chance of hurting the wingtip. I am going to have to secure the brake line better before I fly it again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Looks beautiful in the Air and very good landing. Mine was flown by Captain Sami the first time with little trim down elevator and couple of clicks up with full flaps down. I flew it the second time had very smooth take off, landing gear worked perfectly and had few rolls and loops with couple of knife edge. The landing was very smooth. I have no videos to upload but hopefully my next flight I will take some. I will send some photos I took at home when finished later onHani

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Name:	IMG_2312.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	1992419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2314.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	1992420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2315.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	1992421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2317.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	1992422Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2318.jpg 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	1992423Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2320.jpg 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	1992424Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2321.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	1992425

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Very nice Chris! I am glad you are enjoying the Phoenix! We have several flying in the Houston area now too and they really are a nice flying airplane with a wide flight envelope. I have to post some pictures of the new Blue Angels scheme we had done for Ultimate Jets. It looks very nice on this airframe.

Woody
    Ultimate Jets

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Is anybody else having issues with it climbing like crazy under full power? I trim for about half throttle and when I go for a full throttle pass it climbs like crazy! I am going to try a mix with down elevator with throttle unless some downthrust in the motor will work better. what do you guys think?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hi Chris,

I also have a bit of climb at full throttle and the best way is to down trust the motor by adding shims at the front.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1971 View Post
    Is anybody else having issues with it climbing like crazy under full power? I trim for about half throttle and when I go for a full throttle pass it climbs like crazy! I am going to try a mix with down elevator with throttle unless some downthrust in the motor will work better. what do you guys think?
    This will reduce considerably as you pull the CG aft: the thrust line will streamline with the longitudinal vee ( elevator-to-wing incidence ). Initially shims are the way to go.
    Oli.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    How far aft can i go safely? I think i am about the middle of the suggested range right now according to my manual.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1971 View Post
    How far aft can i go safely? I think i am about the middle of the suggested range right now according to my manual.
    I am on vacations in New Zealand right now, far from the models. I just don't remember the max value and I don't have my notes with me. Will let you know next week.
    Oli.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123