Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hawk crash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hawk crash

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gjhinshaw
I would really like to see the WHOLE VIDEO.. Not just a piece of it.......

Hi,

Would this be the part of the video where he ran over the stab with his truck right before he flew.... or the part where he surreptitiously swapped the properly designed/built stab with the one in the photos? REALLY??
Old 09-20-2013, 10:35 AM
modelman992005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I need some advice. I bought a FEJ Hawk because I thought Ali gave them a once over and approved it.but as much as I would love to throw it in the garbage I can not afford to do that . The airplane is grounded for now until I find a solutions . I have made a carbon rib on the root and hysoled them on but have no idea if that will be a fix. I have seen the skymaster Hawk and think I could get their stab and replace it . I would love some advice because I cant throw it away and will not sell it knowing the stab is unsafe.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:40 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Just because Ali "gave them a once over" does not a flight worthy an airplane make my friend. Ali is a great pilot but he does not have x-ray vision nor is he there when FEJ makes their shoddy airplanes.

My advice is to cut your losses and sell that airplane with full disclosure. There are plenty of suckers out there who think they can fix this junk.

Last edited by ravill; 09-20-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Have you considered building your own stabs based on the size/shape of the current ones? I'm sure you could build stabs that are perfectly suitable to the task using good ol' fashioned methods from back in the 'building' days. If I were in that situation, I can see myself cutting a foam core and sheeting it with balsa (with a carbon cloth sub-skin) and wood insert for the spar. Old-fashioned, but reliable and relatively easy.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:45 AM
modelman992005

Ravill I am definitely not blaming Ali. I was eager to get into jets and thought this would be a good one .Prior to Dubd having the problem I thought FEJ was actually getting all their deficiencies fixed and the company had turned around. I take total blame and will be more cautious next time. At the end of the day I have put a lot of work in this airframe and for the Hawk anyway maybe I can just get a stab or build a stab for it.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:48 AM
modelman992005

Shaun absolutely ... I may go that way but if I can find one that I know is good then I would rather buy it.. I am way more busy building two yellow F18's now with a friend of mine !!
Old 09-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Cool! Then you recognize the stab I had in mind
Old 09-20-2013, 10:52 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

IMO, with FEJ airframes you would have to filet the wings and the stab, then gut all internal structure and replace. Its a ton of work to do it right...
This assuming the fuse is good, which we know is not always the case.. and then there is the pipe.. and then correctness of flying stab pivot point...

might make a good plug though.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!

Makes you think someone in an earlier post that said there should be some sort of "Minimum Standard" in regards to building stuff like this. FEJ should do a recall on all their stabs and redesign/replace every one of them.

The last thing we need is for that jet to be 10 ft closer.........
Old 09-20-2013, 10:59 AM
mario tavarez14
My Feedback: (37)

Went are you going to stop talking trash about FEJ putting videos and photos breakin aircraft in the air, and it's really tiring, because no one said anything when I put the video on youtube of hawker hunter breakin in half in his first minutes of flight I opened one thread in rc universe and nobody said anything the thread disappeared in two weeks and a half, everything was silent only because he was a airwolrd model? and now want to punishing and hate FEJ again , enough with the hate that leads no where , the (hate)is in this part of the hobby?, so every time I'm going to fly my planes my task is finished in my house there is no embarrassment at the airfield, many modelers do not understand that these models never fly at the speed of an actual plane, these models have their limits if you abused them over speeding the model will punish you very hard , guys let keep flying and enjoy this wonderful hobby , (REMEMBER IF YOU SEE SOMETHING IS WRONG TAKE YOU TIME AND FIX IT RIGHT )

Last edited by mario tavarez14; 09-20-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Shaun Evans

Mario,

How on earth was he supposed to see the inside of the stab? With everything you just wrote, are you saying that you are satisfied that the stab internals are good enough?? How exactly did he abuse the plane in your opinion?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:12 AM
rexman

From the time I got it from FEJ to the time it crashed was no longer then 5 months. That was flight number 13.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:18 AM
mario tavarez14
My Feedback: (37)

YELLOWAIRCRAFT look at Duud and his f-14 crash ,many modelers take X ray to the elevator to see how it looks inside and they fixed their problems before breaking their planes, when I say abusing I mean that aircraft requiring a 30 pound turbines they put a 50 pound why they do that is why I do not understand

Last edited by mario tavarez14; 09-20-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Shaun Evans

Mario,

Ok, that's fair (I suppose) but that's not at all what's happening in THIS case. I'm also not aware of 'many' modelers taking their stabs or wings in for X-rays (??) I'm only aware of a couple of people who are lucky enough to have access to imaging equipment at work. Don't look now, but doesn't it seem strange that the end-user should have to do that?? Shouldn't he be able to expect that the stab is ready to use for the purpose that it was clearly and obviously built for? "The fixed their problems before breaking their planes" sounds unreasonable (at best) to me because the problems we've seen in the post-mortem photos and in X-rays shows an ALREADY BROKEN airplane in my opinion. Not with impact trauma, but with kooky design and sub-par manufacture. If Rex had X-rayed his stabs and saw how the internals were built, would you believe him to be entitled to a refund... or would you have just told him not to "hate" and go 'fix' it?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:32 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Originally Posted by mario tavarez14
YELLOWAIRCRAFT look at Duud and his f-14 crash ,many modelers take X ray to the elevator to see how it looks inside and they fixed their problems before breaking their planes, when I say abusing I mean that aircraft requiring a 30 pound turbines they put a 50 pound why they do that is why I do not understand

Ridiculous!!! Do you know how many Skymaster F-16's are flying with P-200's in them? Or how many Ultra Flash's are flying with P-160's and above? I dont see many of them blowing up!! Come on now! You seriously cant expect everyone who buys a model to take it down to the radiology department of their local hospital and have it X-rayed!!! Even when you wray the stabs it only gives you good info on how the pivot rod is fastened, it does not give you a very good idea of internal materials. But wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how about this idea...........build the F-ing thing right so no one HAS TO DO ALL THIS BULL****!!!!! Come on people, how stupid do you have to be to keep defending FEJ??? I mean it is baffling to me that anyone can find one good thing to say about their construction techniques. Wake up!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:38 AM
B Shipp
My Feedback: (13)

What I don't understand is why are people that read these pages and pages of documented structural failures still flying these airplanes. The company will continue to sell an inferior product, that's what they do. It is obvious to me from reading these reports over and over there is a engineering and manufacturing issue. If you own one of these airframes do not fly it!

I have built airplanes I had a ton of money in that just didn't work out. Sometimes it's best to bail when the odds are in your favor. Remove all your equipment and trash the airframe before it does it for you.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:43 AM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

YA, What the hell is wrong with asking for the full video?? I didn't ask or saying anything about the crap you posted, did I?????

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
Hi,

Would this be the part of the video where he ran over the stab with his truck right before he flew.... or the part where he surreptitiously swapped the properly designed/built stab with the one in the photos? REALLY??
Old 09-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Went are you going to stop talking trash about FEJ putting videos and photos breakin aircraft in the air, and it's really tiring, because no one said anything when I put the video on youtube of hawker hunter breakin in half in his first minutes of flight I opened one thread in rc universe and nobody said anything the thread disappeared in two weeks and a half, everything was silent only because he was a airwolrd model? and now want to punishing and hate FEJ again , enough with the hate that leads no where , the (hate)is in this part of the hobby?, so every time I'm going to fly my planes my task is finished in my house there is no embarrassment at the airfield, many modelers do not understand that these models never fly at the speed of an actual plane, these models have their limits if you abused them over speeding the model will punish you very hard , guys let keep flying and enjoy this wonderful hobby , (REMEMBER IF YOU SEE SOMETHING IS WRONG TAKE YOU TIME AND FIX IT RIGHT )
Mario, I know your shopping for a Hawk. Is FEJ at the top of your list? We all know all manufactures have there problems, most companies Fix there problems and tell there customers what is the problem and how to fix it. Did you see that Peter A lost his FEJ Hawk 4 years ago, this is not a new problem. This is a problem that keeps rearing its ugly head because like you said people want to enjoy the hobby so there flying there models. I don't think anyone opened an FEJ box and read please don't go fast, only fly slowly
or the plane will blow up. Maybe its supposed to be in there but they glue the used to hold the paper work in the box evaporated and the papers fluttered away. These guys have a right to post there problems here, I think if FEJ had a fix that you would see that posted also. So until that happens I think your going to see all the bad news right here in living color.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:49 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Went are you going to stop talking trash about FEJ putting videos and photos breakin aircraft in the air
Mario,

When Airworld has over 50 aircraft related loses like FEJ has, due to inferior construction maybe it would get a little more attention than FEJ. Until then trying to compare the two is like comparing apples to oranges. It doesn't even make sense to go that route.

Btw, what was the outcome or cause of the Hawker going down? I heard it was a wing tube that wasn't glued in properly by the builder.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Shaun Evans

Originally Posted by gjhinshaw
YA, What the hell is wrong with asking for the full video?? I didn't ask or saying anything about the crap you posted, did I?????
Hi,

The 'crap' I posted was in reference to the subtext in your post which sounded like it was supposed to diminish what we saw in the video because we didn't see what happened prior to the failure. The comment itself implies that there's 'something more to the story' that's being kept from us by the 'edited' video.

Dude. It's not just a river in Egypt.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:56 AM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

Dude, I just want to see the whole thing! Why is it so "wrong" in your mind to ask for that???

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
Hi,

The 'crap' I posted was in reference to the subtext in your post which sounded like it was supposed to diminish what we saw in the video because we didn't see what happened prior to the failure. The comment itself implies that there's 'something more to the story' that's being kept from us by the 'edited' video.

Dude. It's not just a river in Egypt.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:03 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

As much as i hate to say this...

I'll be glad when one of these FEJ Fanboys lose a FEJ model to lack of design and structural failure. Maybe then they will pull their head out of their keester and wake up!

then again, its not like it will change anything in how FEJ operates

Last edited by invertmast; 09-20-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Shaun Evans

Gjhinshaw,

Ok. I want to see the whole video, too! Let's be honest, though. What are you hoping to see in the "WHOLE VIDEO...not just a piece of it...", something that absolves FEJ of yet another one? Even if the 'whole video' showed the pilot doing full-throttle dives from 3,000' and pulling the stick to the stops at the bottom, what would that have to do with the way that stab was built and attached to the spar?
Old 09-20-2013, 12:13 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

http://techreport.com/blog/21294/the...e-of-fanboyism

this will bring clarity and explanation to many posts on here .. lol ... applies across the board, not just FEJ

Voy
Old 09-20-2013, 12:34 PM
cygeoponos

is this the 1/4,5 or the 1/5,5 hawk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.