Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

small quiet generators?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

small quiet generators?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 09:19 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by S_Ellzey
The price at Home Depot is $600, that is 60% of the price of a Honda. The Ryobi is rated at 63 dB while the Honda is 53 to 59 dB, depending on load. That means the Ryobi would sound 2 to 3 times louder than the Honda (every 3 dB doubles the energy), but 63 is still pretty quite. The Ryobi does have about 10% more power output than the Honda. If I do replace the Honeywell I'll have to take a hard look at the Ryobi.
I have the Ryobi that big bri is talking about, just brought it to the field last weekend and was charging all my electric backs..You put it on quiet mode and you can carry a conversation around it with no problem...It is hands down the best for the money IMO..I wouldnt go any other way now...Hope this helps...
Old 09-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Gixxy
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HONDA HONDA HONDA
There is a reason why at all the big events and camping grounds are dominated by these generators. You definitely get what you pay for here ! Check craigslist for sure

Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 AM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Nothing beats the Honda... Purrs like a kitty and super quiet..... It'll run all of my lights, blender, stereo, lightweight chargers, support equip chargers and all of my friends phone chargers all day long without a hiccup... I've had friends with annoying jackhammer generators... No good!!!
Old 09-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Beavis
.............. The Honda has been around much longer, so it is more popular...........................,

Nope....

Yamaha invented the quiet "briefcase" generators. (The Kawi followed... and honda after that) Actually... at one time, Kawi had a VERY COOL mini generator with electric start. But it was heavy.

Anyway... my EF600 Yamaha is from the 1992 era... and is still running strong. FYI... they were brushless, and had a fuel cock even way back then. (just no inverter)
Old 09-24-2013, 12:46 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Geller
Don is right Mark, it might catch fire and also ignite your navigator and all your jets! Anything less is not JPO approved -- :-)

Scott - Don, I am looking to pick up one of these low budget generators to replace yours when I borrow your Honda generator.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since this discussion has (expectedly) branched out beyond the thread starter's request, I must say that, in the 2kW class, the Yamaha has an edge over the Honda. They are both the best generators in that class, but the Yamaha is noticeably quieter, lighter, and sips less fuel - that's all because its engine is a 79cc, vs. a 99cc for the Honda. Because the Honda's engine is larger, the Honda has a longer surge (2kW) time, but they are both rated at 1.6kW continuous. Other advantages of the Yamaha: its inverter alternator is brushless, while the Honda is brushed - this gives an EPA certification (which is also a surrogate for durability) twice as long on the Yamaha, compared to the Honda; the Yamaha has a geared cam shaft, the Honda's is plastic, with a timing belt; the Yamaha has a stopcock to allow for convenient emptying of the carburetor, the Honda doesn't (for storage of the Honda, you have to remove the fuel from the tank, or run it until it dries); the Yamaha has a fuel gauge, the Honda doesn't (on the Honda you have to guess how much fuel is left, or open the fuel tank to check visually); the Yamaha ships with a DC cable, the Honda doesn't; the Yamaha is slightly less expensive. The Honda has been around much longer, so it is more popular, but these differences should not be overlooked.

Go to wisesales.com and you will see both generators (and many others) there, along with some useful accessories. It's a great site, the best price I've found, and shipment is "free".

As you might have guessed, I've bought a Yamaha. It's been flawless so far.

Good luck,
And here I thought I was finished with my trailer build out!

Looking into generators now, but not real sure Honda is in my budget. Oh well
Old 09-24-2013, 01:23 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Lost your opportunity. I just sold my cheapo one to get a HONDA
Old 09-24-2013, 01:40 PM
trioval00

ok, I have a choice, after reading all the feedback and within my budget, Ryobi 2200 will be the choice as I will also pass on the other ones offered to me. Just don't have the time to piss around with less popular brands....

Thanks for all the welcomed feedback..

Mark
Old 09-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

Nope....

Yamaha invented the quiet "briefcase" generators. (The Kawi followed... and honda after that) Actually... at one time, Kawi had a VERY COOL mini generator with electric start. But it was heavy.

Anyway... my EF600 Yamaha is from the 1992 era... and is still running strong. FYI... they were brushless, and had a fuel cock even way back then. (just no inverter)

Yep...

As I stated in my first sentence, I was referring to the 2kW class. The Honda 2kW inverter generator has indeed been around much longer than the Yamaha 2kW inverter generator.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:44 PM
JackD

Originally Posted by trioval00
ok, I have a choice, after reading all the feedback and within my budget, Ryobi 2200 will be the choice as I will also pass on the other ones offered to me. Just don't have the time to piss around with less popular brands....

Mark
let us know about the ryobi. I looks pretty. If you ever have a chance to run it side by side a honda or yamaha, please let us know how they compare.

Im glad we could steer you away from the generac/honeywell... pure cr#^p
Old 09-24-2013, 03:22 PM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Honda is a great machine, I have had mine next to it and the honda is just a little quieter, but not worth double the money for it IMO..The ryobi will be just fine and works like a charm...
Old 09-24-2013, 03:40 PM
Dr Honda

Yep...

As I stated in my first sentence, I was referring to the 2kW class. The Honda 2kW inverter generator has indeed been around much longer than the Yamaha 2kW inverter generator.
Oh.... OK... I guess I missed the 2kw thing.

Regardless... they are both good.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:45 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the honda inverted models is the way to go. i'd like a 3000i but it's 110 lbs. many are ganging two 2000i's together . honda IS the way to go .
Old 09-25-2013, 04:27 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trioval00

Mark
Hi Mark, I just purchased my Ryobi 2200 last month. You can borrow it at the Jet Rally next week and do a first person comaprison to the Honda and others. I researched all brands before I made my purchase. While the specs of each unit are not identical, they where close enough for me. With the edge going to Ryobi because of 3 key features (besides the great price), Ryobi - 1,800 "rated" Watts / Honda 1,600. Warranty - Ryobi and Honda @ 3 yrs. and Ryobi includes a free D/C Battery Charging cable. As to nosie levels, here is a Db chart I located on the Honda site. Ref.( Ryobi @ full load = 63 Db / Honda = 59 Db)

Take care my friend. Kerry S.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dbchart.jpg
Views:	3152
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1924685  
Old 09-25-2013, 05:29 AM
erik valdez
My Feedback: (80)

Quietest Generator on the market! Honda doesn't even come close!

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2712163...Types&var=sbar
Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 AM
flyinfool1

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by erik valdez
Quietest Generator on the market! Honda doesn't even come close!

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2712163...Types&var=sbar
But that is not a generator, it is a battery with an inverter and a solar battery charger.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Jeff, you weren't supposed to notice that pesky detail!

After more research and thought, I am going to simply put a 68 W flexible peel and stick solar panel on my trailer and feed a 110 AH marine battery. That should take care of my needs. In other words, the trailer is about finished.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:26 PM
JackD

Not to say that the Ryobi is loud cause I have never seen one, but from a pure academic point of view, dB is a logaritmic scale. those extra 4dB actually translate in an absolute of double the noise level....
Again, I'm talking academics, the only true test is actually trying it in the environment you will use it

My loud honeywell works well when I leave it in the parking lot on a busy event, but no way to have it by my table on my field on a sunday. Im curious to hear the results, cause the price difference is significant (unless you find a used honda)

Originally Posted by Vampire
Hi Mark, I just purchased my Ryobi 2200 last month. You can borrow it at the Jet Rally next week and do a first person comaprison to the Honda and others. I researched all brands before I made my purchase. While the specs of each unit are not identical, they where close enough for me. With the edge going to Ryobi because of 3 key features (besides the great price), Ryobi - 1,800 "rated" Watts / Honda 1,600. Warranty - Ryobi and Honda @ 3 yrs. and Ryobi includes a free D/C Battery Charging cable. As to nosie levels, here is a Db chart I located on the Honda site. Ref.( Ryobi @ full load = 63 Db / Honda = 59 Db)

Take care my friend. Kerry S.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:53 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone is in the market for a low time Honda 2000 generator, then I have one I don't use. It can be picked up from BITW for $650 OBO

PM me for details, thanks :-)
Old 10-12-2013, 06:11 PM
sskianpour

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JackD
You are going to hate me, but, if you want quiet like you say in the title, go buy a Honda

I bought a Honeywell 1400 and saved 400 vs a honda 2000.. Even thought it is a chunck of change, I regret the purchase every day I use it. The noise is unbearable. I usually put it at least 2 to 300' away. It is the only way I can manage it. It is weak, I can barely take the inital load of my charger (eventhough is supposedly rated for 1600 peak). Other than that. It works well, but it is the noise what will drive you insane

I'm about to sell mine in craigslists for whatever people give me for it

i can't insist enough on not buying any of these (generac and honeywell are both the same machine, built by generac).

You will hate paying the extra money only the day you write the check (or you pay the CC bill), after that, you will be so happy you spent the money on quality.

Trust me on this one

Later
Jack
+1000

Shaz
Old 10-12-2013, 07:01 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Hi guys,

I have a Honda 2000, it runs well. I did just find though that the eco-throttle setting is surging. I am not sure why; when the eco is off, it runs smooth. I thought it might be the cooler temps (55-60F), but even after 5-10 minutes of running it didnt smooth out. It ran perfectly smooth in August. HAs anyone else had an issue like this? Mine is two years old, probably less than 15 hours. Fuel is new as well.

Thanks
Dave
Old 10-13-2013, 06:08 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ddennison
Hi guys,

I have a Honda 2000, it runs well. I did just find though that the eco-throttle setting is surging. I am not sure why; when the eco is off, it runs smooth. I thought it might be the cooler temps (55-60F), but even after 5-10 minutes of running it didnt smooth out. It ran perfectly smooth in August. HAs anyone else had an issue like this? Mine is two years old, probably less than 15 hours. Fuel is new as well.

Thanks
Dave
Dave,

One of the guys in our "group" had this problem and it was a carburetor issue. I can't recall if it was dirt or swelling in the diaphrams because of ethanol in the fuel, but that's where I'd start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhNy2lfJCEE

I have a Honda 2000 at work and we're not "religious" about draining the fuel and running it dry and we haven't run into that problem yet - knock on wood...

Bob
Old 10-13-2013, 02:24 PM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

I have used Honda everything most of my life. Honda mowers, Honda outboards, Honda power washers, etc, etc, etc. My bigger generator that is connected to my house transfer switch is a Honda. But for my airplane stuff I bought the Yamaha and have not been sorry for even one minute. Seems to have the same output with a little less displacement which equals a little better fuel consumption. And it is at least as quiet as the Honda model. Either one is a keeper!
Old 10-13-2013, 05:43 PM
trioval00

ok guys, I took some advise here and I have made a choice. At first I had an option of one of two small generators, Generac and Honeywell. I did my homework and passed on both of them, even though they were very cheap, I decided there were better choices. Yes Yamaha or Honda were number one choices by many, but the cost of these were not an option for me at this time as I am looking to replace one of my worn out jets.

At the Jet rally I attended last week, I walked up and down the flight line looking at the variety of small quiet generators. Seems Honda was the popular brand, but I did notice a wide variety of other quiet generators. After looking hard and long and talking with the owners, I have decided to purchase a Ryobi 2200 inverter. Maybe the next issue of Contrails I will devote the article of portable generator and give my findings and why I decided on the ryobi...

Mark
Old 10-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ddennison
Hi guys,

Thanks
Dave
Carb needs cleaning, most likely the main jet has some crud in it, mine was doing the same thing and it wasn't even a year old. Honda WILL NOT address the issue on warranty. Do yourself a favor and check for YouTube videos on pulling the carb. I didn't until after I had it apart including the electrically driven throttle, silly me being an A&P mechanic I thought I could figure it out and I eventually did but not until I chased down a parts diagram to show me how to put that d*mn throttle advance deal back together and it didn't need to come off....

Didn't I feel like a dumb *ss when I figured that one out???? lol