Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New to Jets, got an ULTRALIGHTNING

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New to Jets, got an ULTRALIGHTNING

Old 10-02-2013, 09:32 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Yo Jack, lets not get carried away, you me helped a lot on the first flights. But if I had an edge it was probably all those 737 hours And to the OP, with your skills, well, as they say in Hollywood, "I dig you style, Dude". Show that UL who's boss!
Old 10-03-2013, 02:50 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew Bird
Skymaster - you should be fine. I was flying similar type aircraft (comp arf 3 meter 260, imac / 3D) when I got in to jets. I started out with a classic Flash and the Ultra Lightning is easier to fly than that. I got on fine with the Flash until I sold it when I moved abroad. YOu shouldn't need to waste your money on a boomerang, just make sure you find someone to help who knows what they're doing and get the waiver done.

Have fun!
Skymaster- I agree too. Go get Robbie Lynch down there to help you get the waiver. He is the BEST in SE Fla.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:30 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skymaster68
Hey Guys, I'm new to jets and got a CARF Ultra lightning, have been flying imac and giant gassers for several years now and I made this step up on the hobby.

http://www.carf-models.com/public_ca...riant&proId=12

As I said, I got the UL, I'll be running a P180 RX wish I have on my hands now, will run:

CARF LG
PWR Box Comp SRS
JR8711 all around
Jet tronics Brake, retract and door sequence valves
GBR medium UAT

well the intention of this thread, is to ask for your opinion on what I got, what should I get what I might be missing and need to get to make this beauty fly...
You info will be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Congrats on buying a well-made and highly visible jet. No doubt you will love it and have it for a long time ... much unlike that other defective brand that begins with an "F" then ends up being a pile of Environmental Junk.

I'm sure you know the Ultra Lightning is very stable in flight. Seems like you researched well, and were given good advise on your purchases even before you started this topic.

Make that checklist that BlueBus320 provided. Customize it as you see fit.

Last edited by Airplanes400; 10-03-2013 at 03:53 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:33 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
Full-scale aviation experience really doesn't give you any help towards flying R/C models.
Wrong!! He understands jet attitude flying, spool up times, etc far more then the average Dumb***** getting into jets! Just go see Robbie Lynch. He usually flies at Markum on Wednesdays, but that may have changed with his new job.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 10-03-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:49 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. I can't believe that someone could think that aviation experience doesn't give someone any help towards flying R/C! Especially when that aviation experience involves commercial jets.

On another note, everyone in South Florida who talks of jets, owns one, or is around them, or even in the R/C hobby, knows of Robbie. I'm sure skymaster68 had all that info before coming on here.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:39 AM
chopper52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Airplanes400
Congrats on buying a well-made and highly visible jet. No doubt you will love it and have it for a long time ... much unlike that other defective brand that begins with an "F" then ends up being a pile of Environmental Junk.

I'm sure you know the Ultra Lightning is very stable in flight. Seems like you researched well, and were given good advise on your purchases even before you started this topic.

Make that checklist that BlueBus320 provided. Customize it as you see fit.

+ 1,
Old 10-03-2013, 08:49 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Considering the weight and performance of this combo, I would be hesitant to recommend it to anybody regardless of his background as a first jet, but considering the r/c club you will fly it (CACH) I see no problem as it is a very safe place and have plenty of free airspace. This plane flies great and you will enjoy it a lot.. also congrats for your first jet!

best regards, Enrique.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:06 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, I have to say the community has come far!!! When I first got into it I couldnt get a nice answer, well maybe one or two..But being relatively new still, 09 or 10 I got into it, as long as you have experienced people around with the right precautions, I would just fly it!!!!!...Once you go jets, your bank account never goes back!!!!! ( to where it was).....
Old 10-03-2013, 11:15 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find an experienced jet buddy and set it up on a buddy box. No shame there at all. Good headwork, if you ask me. This will be like having an instructor in the back seat, ready to help out while you get the hang of it.

Good luck. The Ultra Lightning is a very sweet jet!

Sluggo
Old 10-03-2013, 11:52 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by husafreak
Yo Jack, lets not get carried away, you me helped a lot on the first flights. But if I had an edge it was probably all those 737 hours And to the OP, with your skills, well, as they say in Hollywood, "I dig you style, Dude". Show that UL who's boss!
So you fly the 737 like you do your hawk???? Cant wait to be in a 737 flight with you doing a on the deck inverted flyby followed by 2 opposite rollis like you do on the hawk hahahahhah
Old 10-03-2013, 12:51 PM
skymaster68

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow, thanks everyone of you for the warm welcome into the rc jet world, also thanks a lot for you comments, advice and all.
be sure that at first I wont fly the UL by myself, as Gonzalo said, our club here in Chile has pretty strict rules on jet pilots and planes so I wont be alone till my check ride, wish i hope it doesn't take long.
with all remaining parts on the way i will start assembling by next week and i hope i can have it flying no later than the end of november, so stay tune to my updates and flight log.
by the way if you live in S.America contact your CARF REP !!! (Me )
Old 10-03-2013, 02:22 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

I like that!!!

Originally Posted by BlueBus320
A few additional jet opp items I'm not sure you have.
* Overflow tank
* Fire Ext
* Cordless Blower (optional to help with cool down)
* Checklist (optional, but keeps you honest & defends against distractions)
Good luck!
Old 10-03-2013, 02:40 PM
gjhinshaw

Guy's I am going to post this and I know some of you will enjoy nailing me to the cross..... But I do not have a big CO2 fire extinguisher... What I do have, is a small CO2 fire extinguisher inside my jet. I have used it many times as to hot starts!! They were being sold by TBM a few years back. They were called "RES Flame Out" Here is the link.... But they don't sell them anymore.......http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/RESFLAMEOUT.html Guys, let me tell you that this is better than the having to remember to get the big one...... Because this is always with your plane.... It's INSIDE..... These are servo activated, so if something goes wrong... flip the switch and poof... No more flame! Now, I will tell you all that I have 6 left in-stock if you are interested. They are 189.00 plus shipping. Watch the video, and YES, these are AMA approved!!!!! So... What do you all think??
Old 10-03-2013, 02:47 PM
gjhinshaw

This is all true, But I would step up to the RHINO..... I had the Cheetah in mine for about a year and traded for a RHINO..... OH MAN!!! It was a night and day difference!! Just remember you have a throttle or you can turn the turbine down. its 5 more pounds of thrust and that's A LOT!!!! Just a FYI

Originally Posted by husafreak
Just got started in jets myself (with a CARF Hawk/Cheetah) and assuming you have good flying skills and are a quick learner with a good instructor you will be fine. It is quite an investment isn't it?!
If you look thru the forum there is so much to learn! I actually learned a lot from LGM Graphix posts so thank you sir! Go to a jet meet or local jet field (here's hoping you have one!). And take notes. It really is fun to learn this new aspect of the hobby. But jets are not forgiving and so the concern.
I was mostly surprised by the whole turbine lag thing, on my maiden if I had a nickel for every time my mentor called "lead with power" or "add power, add more power now!" well, I could buy a cuppa. But the Hawk is a bit draggy compared to a Flash. Anyway, you will learn to gauge your thrust output by stick position not sound, you will learn not to pull throttle all the way to idle the whole flight until landing assured and you will certainly realize why when you do your go around dirty from idle for your waiver. But 12 flights in two days later and I wouldn't change a thing. Bigger flies better and you bought a sturdy "sport jet" from a solid manufacturer so it should fly like a dream. Seriously bro, Where do you go from here? You are starting at the top. Um, what else, go somewhere (youtube) and watch videos of guys landing your jet. They are slippery things and like to fly fast, also they are draggy and slow configured, so having a mental picture of the velocity and attitude on landing will be key to success.
Might as well get your support equipment now. Aircraft stands, figure out how to transport it before it weighs 40 pounds, fuel jugs, CO2 or Halon fire bottle, walk around fuel tank if you plan to fly at meets. I am not sure if you said you have the Jetcat yet or not. But while Jetcats are fine engines I will tell you why I am glad I got a (used) Cheetah, it burns diesel mixed with two stroke oil so I can "fill up" just about anywhere for a reasonable price to boot. Just some ideas from another exited newby.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:01 AM
skymaster68

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, we finally maiden my UL last weekend, the plane is great, it flew flawless, the JetCat P180Rx is more the enough power for it, I'm really happy on how it performed…\
It flys forever, think I might have to add some more flaps, currently using about 45* landing flaps and it does not stop !!! what are the settings you guys are using on the UL?
Some pictures can be found here, don't forget to like
https://www.facebook.com/pages/GSA-G...ation=timeline
Old 02-15-2014, 07:59 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a Ultra Lightning for 3 years. It was a great jet until the midair. I used a 1/2" of crow and 60 degrees of flap. It would look very slow on landing but it still took a lot of runway to stop.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Tim Redelman
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny it seems counter intuitive but we had problems back in the day with guys coming from DF.

When I started turbines (maybe 1997?), virtually everyone had previously flown ducted fan (internal combustion DF at that). You spent much of the DF flight profile at full power and guys had not learned to pull the throttle back. We had a LOT of crashes back then, from guys taking off and never pulling the throttle back. Planes kept speeding up until it got away from them, usually in roll, then disorientation as the thing was 1/2 a mile away by then. And at least where I was flying, everyone was learning at the same time so we did not have many turbine "experts". Back then, a BVM Bandit with a P-80 was a turbine trainer. Perfectly capable (and AMA legal) to fly 250+ MPH in your first few flights if you let it go.

There was no AMA waiver flight test yet so you could fly your first turbine flight completely AMA legal with waiver (I know that's how I did it)

Funny you bring that up Matt ,

I watched a guy take a Kangaroo off with a Ram 750 and never pull back..... Got further and further away and then he lost orientation......Fastest thing I ever saw going straight down!!! He found it three days later, just happened to stumble on it. Looked like you took the engine and put it in a hydraulic press....even the landing gear struts were broke...

Tim

Last edited by Tim Redelman; 02-15-2014 at 11:45 AM. Reason: tweeks