Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Merlin 140X FOD Screen

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Merlin 140X FOD Screen

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 11:00 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Merlin 140X FOD Screen

Hello all,

I was considering buying a Merlin 140X (with the brushless starter) and I've just asked Gaspar if he makes a FOD screen to fit and he has replied (exceptionally quickly) that he doesn't.

Does anyone know of a FOD screen that will fit this turbine or one that is easy to mod to fit?

I still can't quite understand why manufacturer's don't supply what is almost universally considered to be an essential piece of equipment. Jetcat were a little slow on the uptake but the ones that they supply now have been excellent for the turbines I have used them on, and the Wren solution is also excellent. I hate to buy an expensive model, with an expensive turbine and then bodge a tea strainer on to the front of the engine.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Alex48

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Gaspar told us to use a Hobby King FOD guard for his 160, it will fit with a little fettling. Its a bit crap but better than tea strainer, I completely agree with you though!
Old 10-06-2013, 02:34 PM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought these from Todd and modified them. http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...reen-98-X-81Mm They are held on with an O ring. Remove the white center ring, slit the screen in quarters 30 mm from the base, then fold the quarters inward. You can either place the O ring over the excess screen which will now be along the starter or modify the center ring and reuse it. The project takes apx. 20 minutes.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:13 PM
rcjets12
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd at Dreamworks made me one for the M100 out of a p-60 screen I was there and it was a bit of a pain. Give them a call I'm sure he could get one for you.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 AM
siclick33

Well it doesn't seem like there are many decent options

It looks like Jets-Munt are going to lose a sale of a several thousand dollar turbine, for the sake of not providing a part that would probably cost them no more than $20 to make It seems like a strange business philosophy to me but maybe there's a reason that I'm not aware of.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Darren,
I have used a couple of the Hobbyking ones. They only thing I had to supply was a fat O-ring. Otherwise they are the best quality ones I have come accross, except for the Wren integral ones. This is what Gaspar used to supply. I think that they do a smaller size too.
Best
John
Old 10-08-2013, 10:32 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

I'll be happy to document how to convert the Jetcat P-60 screen to fit if desired. It is a fairly simple mod that can be completed in less than 10 minutes!
Just let me know...
Old 10-08-2013, 10:43 AM
siclick33

If you could Todd, that would be great. I had thought that the starter pod for the M140X had 'ears' on it that might make fitting a FOD difficult but I've just realised that the picture I was looking at was the VT80. Maybe fitting a FOD to the 140X isn't as hard as I initially thought?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:54 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Not at all, very simple. The main issue with fitting a FOD screen on the latest Merlin releases is the small diameter of his new starter motors. Looks like I am sold out of the Jetcat P-60 screen at the moment but will document the modification as soon as inventory arrives.
Todd
Old 10-08-2013, 12:33 PM
jetmodeller

Originally Posted by siclick33
Well it doesn't seem like there are many decent options

It looks like Jets-Munt are going to lose a sale of a several thousand dollar turbine, for the sake of not providing a part that would probably cost them no more than $20 to make It seems like a strange business philosophy to me but maybe there's a reason that I'm not aware of.
I am able to make fod guards for most engines,yes there are converted tea strainers with a centre turned from plastic to fit the starter works for me and many people I have made them for email me on [email protected] with starter diameter can make you one for £20.00 including postage regards Keith