Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

WREN UNPROFESIONAL ... 160 Broken

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

WREN UNPROFESIONAL ... 160 Broken

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO they are not going to give a recall to these obvious faulty 160 as this would cost to much and could possibly cripple the company.
This is the normal thing to do know a days. Its all good when things are going well and the money is rolling in but as soon ad things goes wrong you don't have to do much about it because that could send the company broke . Don't worry about the bloke who has paid thousands of dollars for motor that cant even be used as a boat anchor.
The biggest problem is us the customers as we have accepted this by keeping on buying these products including myself.
We buy something which is clearly not rite but that's OK because i will fix this and modify this and its all OK.
It wont be long before everything we buy will be like this.. Buying a new car and i will just have to fix this and that, just so i can drive it. But that's all OK.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:32 AM
JU-87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of of all .... I wish you a happy day open factory in Wren ....at November 10th
the same factory from which came the defective turbines ... sorry not being able to personally greet and thank them for their treatment
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3monkeys.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1936481  
Old 11-04-2013, 10:56 PM
Brahm

Greetings Guys, I am the owner of a 5 Hour runtime
Old 11-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Brahm

Sorry,, lets try again,, Greetings Guys, I am the owner of a 5 hr runtime Wren 160 I purchased from a friend. I think the most obvious solution to this problem, witch is clearly a manufacturing defect by the compressor wheel manufacturer, or in the case of turbine wheel failure, a casting fault witch was probably not detected. Replacement of the compressor by a stronger unit will probably solve the problem, but will require the manufacturer to test this unit to destruction to make sure this wheel stays intact under most operating conditions. Sometimes steps like these, requires a lot of development work and in this case, there are probably a large number of these engines in use, and when a defect such as this arises, the manufacturer in all probability must assume responsibility for the defect.

If one assumes there is a lot of engines being affected, it might be that the manufacturer may incur considerable cost to rectify the defect and in some cases, if the manufacturer assumes full responsibility they might face foreclosure. Most of us that are familiar with model jet engines are aware of Wren, and are for the most part impressed by their products and service. The defect with the Wren 160 probably overwhelmed the manufacturer. I do not think one of us would like to see Wren close down as a company. I think if they agree to replace a damaged wheel and associated damage to the engine, in the event of a wheel failure, should keep everybody happy.

On the other hand, if one operates this engine, and it is out of their stated warranty, and the engine fails, they also have the right to decline a repair. But such action will obviously infuriate the user. I think Wren does posses the technical ability to design, manufacture and test a proper wheel for the engine, and offer this upgraded wheel to customers that have lost an engine due to a bad wheel.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-05-2013, 03:49 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Brahm
Look at post #82, I believe a very reasonable solution was presented....

i.e. free repair with original parts and no warranty; or pay for upgraded parts and get a warranty.

As you stated a company can not be expected to give free hand outs if they wish to remain in business.
I am guessing that the free parts offer is due to an inventory that needs to be depleted...

n 17/10/13 8:09 PM, "Leonie" wrote:

Hello Nandan

I have had discussions with our engineers about your engine.
The serial number on the engine is 04 080109 / RB110310. The first set of numbers is the date of the original engine build - 8th January 2009.
The second set RB = rebuilt on 11th March 2010, which was done following the initial compressor failure. The rebuilt engine is therefore over 3 years old & has had 13 hours flying time since then.
The second compressor that was put into your engine was from a reputable turbo manufacturer - brand new, not a second or used component. It was replaced in good faith. Wren still use this manufacturer’s products.
It is not good that this product has failed, but engine components can last for years or only months (for example engine bearings). The warranty on our engines at the time of this rebuild was 12 months or 50 hours flying time. Your engine is well into its 36th month. No warranty cannot be eternal.
You have sent your engine to us for repair, which shows that you have some faith in us to rebuild it again. We can, therefore, offer the following revised terms for a rebuild:
To replace the compressor/diffuser with the same product as you already have + both bearings + re-mesh of the FOD screen – free of charge. If the shaft & combustion chamber need replacing we will do this at a reduced cost. Labour will be at cost price. This will return your engine to its original condition. There will be no warranty or guarantee included with this re-build.

OR

We can replace the compressor/diffuser with Wren’s own machined design – which has never failed – together with the bearings, FOD screen & other components that may be necessary to repair your engine, for the price given. We will add a 12 month full warranty to the engine & upgrade it to the latest internal kero start - free of charge.

Note: the Wren machined compressor was not available at the time your engine was rebuilt in 2010

Please let me know how you wish to proceed. If you are not happy with either option then your engine will be returned to you as/is.

Regards

Leonie

Old 11-05-2013, 04:46 AM
Xantos

Rich
I don't think you've read all the posts carefully.
what Wren is offering is : To replace the compressor/diffuser with the same product as you already have + both bearings + re-mesh of the FOD screen – free of charge”Wren is actually still offering to repair my engine again for the 3rd time with a defective compressor.
The improved machined compressor wheel is not FREE (read the SECOND OPTION)
How would you feel if your brand new engine were to throw a blade in the first 2hours of running and if it were replaced under warranty with a defective part again and you have the same failure exactly 13 hours later ?
and then be offered to have it fixed again with another defective part - for FREE !
I'm not expecting a freebie here - What I'm expecting is for Wren to step up to their responsibility not shirk it and I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.
I certainly will not accept crappy defective product because Wren is magnanimously offering it Free.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:37 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

I'm with Rich on this one.

I understand the frustration... but they did offer a free option, even though, the engine is out of warranty. It's just not what you or the OP want to hear.

When you buy any product, you accept the warranty. It's not their fault that the engine only ran 13 hr's in 3 years. They could have simply said... "It's out of warranty... sorry." But they didn't.

If you or the OP don't like Wren's offer... then get the free fix, and sell the engine. Then, buy a Jet central, or King Tech, that has a "Life Time" warranty, that is based only from run time.

*****EDIT*****

One last thought...

I understand that the 160 had an issue.... but did all of them fail? Also... did you or the OP even ask if the new cast wheel was made better? There are a bunch of turbines running with cast wheels, and are running strong. It may have just been a bad batch.

Last edited by Dr Honda; 11-05-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:49 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Xantos
Rich
I don't think you've read all the posts carefully.
what Wren is offering is : To replace the compressor/diffuser with the same product as you already have + both bearings + re-mesh of the FOD screen – free of charge”Wren is actually still offering to repair my engine again for the 3rd time with a defective compressor.
The improved machined compressor wheel is not FREE (read the SECOND OPTION)
How would you feel if your brand new engine were to throw a blade in the first 2hours of running and if it were replaced under warranty with a defective part again and you have the same failure exactly 13 hours later ?
and then be offered to have it fixed again with another defective part - for FREE !
I'm not expecting a freebie here - What I'm expecting is for Wren to step up to their responsibility not shirk it and I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.
I certainly will not accept crappy defective product because Wren is magnanimously offering it Free.
I fully understand what they are offering.... and I believe that it is appropriate for the warranty that is being offered by WREN.

I do understand the frustration and that is the reason I purchase Turbines with a life time warranty... just look at my signature
Old 11-05-2013, 08:15 AM
JU-87

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
One last thought...

I understand that the 160 had an issue.... but did all of them fail? Also... did you or the OP even ask if the new cast wheel was made better? There are a bunch of turbines running with cast wheels, and are running strong. It may have just been a bad batch.

Is this a question for Ron?? Wren?? or for mistic spirit?

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind BDylan

This collage is ONLY for Wren 160.....not other models......

Name:	ostrich-1.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1936789  

Last edited by JU-87; 11-05-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Text on pic
Old 11-05-2013, 09:02 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

What are you trying to achieve? You won't get Wren on here in a public slagging match with you. Behaving like this isn't going to make Wren change what many of us feel is a perfectly reasonable response that you have already had from Wren.

What you are achieving is making yourself look like a grumpy old man who just goes on and on and on and on......
Old 11-05-2013, 09:10 AM
JU-87

grumpy old man,,,,yes Im....and you ?? Are a 160 owner??

Have you an opinion of the macro pics??
Old 11-05-2013, 10:07 AM
S E Repton

Harry,

I am neither a Wren owner or a grumpy old man, just a spectator.

I can see the frustration here. Imagine if it were a car and the clutch failed because of a poor design. If the manufacturer offered to replace the defective clutch with another new but still defective clutch I imagine you would not be happy, especially if they offered you a non defective clutch but you had to pay for it?

I think Wren have scored a huge own goal here.

Calling someone a grumpy old man is not necessary.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:19 AM
HarryC

This thread is achieving nothing of any good for anybody. It's an unending winge with no objective. Give it a rest.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:25 AM
S E Repton

Harry, welcome to the internet.

Forums wouldn't exist if it wasn't for threads such as this, if you don't like it don't read it....

If the mods are happy to let it run its' course then I don't see anything wrong with it?
Old 11-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Xantos

Thank you Repton.
Im glad finally somebody sees my point.
I've seen various responses from people including some that suggest that I should take Wrens offer and then sell the engine on.
I'd like to state on this forum that I have already abandoned the engine after their ridiculous offer ,
I don't expect ANYTHING from Wren !
I take my flying seriously and I'm aware of the potential risks of flying model jets and there is no way that I would further increase that risk by using a turbine that has a very high probability of exploding as has been proven repeatedly especially from a manufacturer with dubious business practices.
i bought a Wren because they promised quality and my past experience with other engines from their range was flawless.
the 160 however is crap and Wren knew it all along and kept servicing /selling defective product and parts all along and amazingly still offer to continue doing the same as is apparent from the emails.
In response to Rich , yes I have moved on to engines from other more reasonable manufacturers who understand and accept problems faced by their customers like JetCentral and can only say their service is exceptional.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:02 AM
JU-87

Originally Posted by HarryC
This thread is achieving nothing of any good for anybody. It's an unending winge with no objective. Give it a rest.

HarryC.
The response from Wren to my problem, was to pay almost 1000 euros for changing the turbine wheel, keeping the compresor wheel that they know that is detective.. NOT even a free fixing with detective components.
I propose them to SELL me a turbine weel, ( not for free) and they said NOT.
Ok, tanks, Wren for the help!
The only way I have to repair te engine, is to send it to Wren, pay 1000 euro, and receive a turbine with a compressor wheel that they do know that is detective, is this a good answer from Wren to my problem?
NO it is NOT

Harry....Any question about this picture??? Any opinion? discussion?

Name:	Rueda1.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1936825  
Old 11-05-2013, 12:10 PM
HarryC

You just keep on proving my point. This is a winge with no end, no objective, it just repeats on and on and on......
Old 11-05-2013, 05:02 PM
willig10

All:
Just want to give a neutral observation here. First off let me tell you my qualifications. I am an A&P (24+) years in jet turbine maintnenance. Looking at the pictures of the wheel. My first thought was "Look at the tip rubs". It appears one of 2 things are going on with the wheel. Either you have blade "creep" or the tolerances between the inlet and wheel are to tight causing the tip rubs.

If it is blade creep the metal being used in manufacture is not the correct alloy. The fix is to use a different alloy (stronger metal)

If it is a clearance problem then the tips of the blades need to be tip ground.

My 2 cents is to use a feeler gauge and determine what the tip clearances are on a new engine and after each flight recheck the clearances to determine if creep is occuring. If it is then it is only a matter of time before the blades contact the inlet and liberate from the engine.

A side note. If you have creep you might be able to moniter it during postflight by reading your ECU. If your fuel consumption per flight is going down, it is an indicator that your compressor is becoming more efficient. As creep occurs the tolerances get tighter and the compressor will perform better until destruction occurs.

If you tear down your engine and observe tip rubs, my advice is to send it in or repair before catastrophic damage occurs.

in essence Creep and tip rubs are not good.

Regards
Glenn Williams
Old 11-05-2013, 06:22 PM
asimatt
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by willig10
All:
Just want to give a neutral observation here. First off let me tell you my qualifications. I am an A&P (24+) years in jet turbine maintnenance. Looking at the pictures of the wheel. My first thought was "Look at the tip rubs". It appears one of 2 things are going on with the wheel. Either you have blade "creep" or the tolerances between the inlet and wheel are to tight causing the tip rubs.

If it is blade creep the metal being used in manufacture is not the correct alloy. The fix is to use a different alloy (stronger metal)

If it is a clearance problem then the tips of the blades need to be tip ground.

My 2 cents is to use a feeler gauge and determine what the tip clearances are on a new engine and after each flight recheck the clearances to determine if creep is occuring. If it is then it is only a matter of time before the blades contact the inlet and liberate from the engine.

A side note. If you have creep you might be able to moniter it during postflight by reading your ECU. If your fuel consumption per flight is going down, it is an indicator that your compressor is becoming more efficient. As creep occurs the tolerances get tighter and the compressor will perform better until destruction occurs.

If you tear down your engine and observe tip rubs, my advice is to send it in or repair before catastrophic damage occurs.

in essence Creep and tip rubs are not good.

Regards
Glenn Williams
I like a little creep and a good tip rub!!!!! Couldn't resist
Old 11-06-2013, 05:09 AM
AVIOJET

I'm asking myself a few questions, what would have happened if a compressor blade would've seriously hurt a person? And if this person had taken the case to court? What would have done Wren in this case?

Gentlemen, this is a matter of high responsibilities and no one in this thread, except Xantos, hit the nail on the head. It seems that there are people in this thread that just read what they want to read. I prefer to be a grumpy old man to have a blindfold.

Just my 2 cents.

Jesús A. Serrano
Old 11-06-2013, 05:15 AM
asimatt
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by AVIOJET
I'm asking myself a few questions, what would have happened if a compressor blade would've seriously hurt a person? And if this person had taken the case to court? What would have done Wren in this case?

Gentlemen, this is a matter of high responsibilities and no one in this thread, except Xantos, hit the nail on the head. It seems that there are people in this thread that just read what they want to read. I prefer to be a grumpy old man to have a blindfold.

Just my 2 cents.

Jesús A. Serrano
In the United States Court System we call that neglect. Which means Wren looser,
consumer winner!!!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:43 AM
In the Haze

I have had a piece of Compressor blade whizz past me on 2 occasions while they destroyed themselves inside the model on run-up, and a 3rd compressor wheel and Turbine wheel while in the air. Needless to say they lay around for a while in a sorry state. They are now laying at the bottom of False Bay here in Cape Town. We tried to prove whether using them as sinkers was any better than a normal sinker..........................................no ways, even the Great Whites ignored them.

Again this is the 160 only, the others are fine................................

Last edited by In the Haze; 11-06-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:11 AM
HarryC

I have a Wren 160. I hope it doesn't suffer any of these failures (which other brands suffer too). However if mine does, I will add a +1 to any thread trying to let people know how widespread the problem is, and then stop. So far we have 5 pages of repeat, repeat, repeat.......

Also we have 5 pages of one side of the story. I bet it looks rather different from Wren's side. As Jeremy Clarkson once wrote - "there are two sides to every story and both of them are right. If you only have one side of the story you only have an opinion, which explains The Guardian" (The Guardian is a socialist newspaper in the UK)
Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 AM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by willig10
All:
Regards
Glenn Williams
Why could those tip marks not be from machining the OD to a precise dimension during the manufacturing process?
Old 11-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

Originally Posted by Xantos

With due respects to Mr Dosu's different perspective to the whole Wren matter I would like to present some facts with regard to my experience with Wren.
I had one of the early Wren160s that shed a compressor blade .
Wren was good enough to replace the compressor wheel and rebuild the turbine in March 2012 , I was still a little apprehensive about the repair and questioned Wren if they were sure that the replacement compressor wheel used in the rebuild was from a a new lot of compressor wheels .
The reply I got was most certainly unprofessional - Wren had NO record of the rebuild and therefore couldn't confirm whether the replaced component was indeed defect free. i.e From the older lot of defective compressors or from a newer lot.
Two weeks ago the same rebuilt engine threw a blade again.
I have attached some pics from the latest incident .
Please bear in mind the engine was nowhere close to its service interval and thrust was limited to 112k RPM on the ECU
Wren of course has been gracious enough to request me to send the engine back.
The engine is back with Wren.
But the fact remains that Wren deliberately chose to ignore this matter and as a result I have a hole in my fuse and unnecessary damage sustained to the airframe.
One of the preceeding posts refers to home repairs as a running/ticking time bomb
In my opinion how is Wren any better or more responsible ?
Multiple reports of similar incidents with their 160 and the fact that they knew and accepted there was a problem with a component , should have initiated a recall .
Wren simply ignored the issue and wished the problem would disappear and in the process have simply endangered peoples safety.
So regardless whether the company is a handful of engineers with fantastic ideas or simply a Mom and Pop operation it certainly isn't acceptable to ignore the risk and the potential for damage
Any responsible manufacturer would have be expected to recall product that may have been releasedto the market with defective components.

Very well said and very true

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.