Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Axial-Flow Turbojet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Axial-Flow Turbojet

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 04:49 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Come on..pump some K1 into it ..Very nice work..my buddy NUNU is also doing a similar project. Could there be a problem with high CP to a single turbine wheel?

Last edited by basimpsn; 02-11-2014 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:39 AM
niffi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many Thanks!
The Diameter of my Engine is 100mm, but i dont know the Diameter of a 200N radial Engine...maybe 150mm?!
can this be done in 3 stages rather than 6 to reduce rotating mass?
Yes, i think so. But the aerodynamic load of the Blades will be much higher, thus the risk of a complete Compressor Stall or even Rotating Stall.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:46 AM
niffi

Could there be a problem with high CP to a single turbine wheel?
What do you mean by CP? Compression? Then the Answer is yes, because you need very high Turbine temperatures to have an advantage.
Otherwise, the fuel consumtion will rise or the Engine will not work.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:33 PM
niffi

Mmh, sorry for my bad English.. Rotating Stall is less dangerous than a complete Stall... (because i wrote "or even")
Old 02-14-2014, 02:17 PM
niffi

The Turbine Stage after several Test Runs...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	h4db.jpg
Views:	9463
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1968525  
Old 02-15-2014, 12:07 PM
Tim Redelman
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Niffi,,

A nice guy might put a video of the engine running ..... Just saying

Tim
Old 02-16-2014, 01:32 AM
Robrow

Fantastic work, well done, it's worth watching just to hear the axial compressor sound. It was not that long ago when self sustaining a homebuilt engine with a radial compressor was a major achievement.

Keep up the great work.

Rob.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:10 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Close!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg27Kiw1tbU

Last edited by Henke Torphammar; 02-16-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:54 PM
niffi

Close? To self sustaining? Believe me, the Engine really works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Oya2lLGLk

It was not that long ago when self sustaining a homebuilt engine with a radial compressor was a major achievement.
Yes, the development goes on..
But i don`t think, that an axial Microjet can be used to Power a Modelaircraft. Because there is a really big Problem: The axial Compressor is extemly sensitiv against Dust and Sand.
Even if you could filter out the "Sand Problem", the Dust would also cause Problems. The Oil of the forward Bearing gets atomized and flows through the Compressor and it will lay down together
with the Dust on the upper Side of the Stators... With the Time, the Layer grows, causing an inefficient Airflow... You will have to wash the Compressor regularly or borescope it.
No Modeljetpilot wants to do this! They want a Plug&Fly System without any Problems and the radial Compressor is a better Choice.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:38 PM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

So other than a really cool research project, what is the purpose of this really awesome piece of machinery?
Old 02-16-2014, 10:35 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If nothing else, Because he can!

Awesome work so far! love it, sound great already.

Thanks

dave
Old 02-17-2014, 04:13 AM
Robrow

Originally Posted by niffi
Yes, the development goes on..
But i don`t think, that an axial Microjet can be used to Power a Modelaircraft. Because there is a really big Problem: The axial Compressor is extemly sensitiv against Dust and Sand.
Even if you could filter out the "Sand Problem", the Dust would also cause Problems. The Oil of the forward Bearing gets atomized and flows through the Compressor and it will lay down together
with the Dust on the upper Side of the Stators... With the Time, the Layer grows, causing an inefficient Airflow... You will have to wash the Compressor regularly or borescope it.
No Modeljetpilot wants to do this! They want a Plug&Fly System without any Problems and the radial Compressor is a better Choice.
So what are the next steps Niffi, try it on kero, ecu/instrumentation?

Regards

Rob.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:52 PM
niffi

Thank you!
Yes, the next Step is a Test Stand with a lot of Sensors. I will show you the Instrumentation in a few days, its not finished yet.
(But be aware, its in german Language )
The major achievement will be the variable Stator Vanes and to control them live!
More News soon!
Old 02-17-2014, 02:14 PM
jurajantonak

This is very impressive, especially with the variable stator vanes , do they seal perfectly? Is there any leakage ? And what are the tolerances inside the engine referring to blade tip gap ?
Best regards

Juraj
Old 02-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Robrow

Thank you!
Yes, the next Step is a Test Stand with a lot of Sensors. I will show you the Instrumentation in a few days, its not finished yet.
(But be aware, its in german Language )
The major achievement will be the variable Stator Vanes and to control them live!
More News soon!
That should be interesting to hear how, particularly during the start, the rotor acceleration is affected by varying the stator angle. Looking forward to future updates.

Rob.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:14 PM
jurajantonak

one thing i noticed about the blades is they don't have the proper twist from root to tip , they are flat therefore this compressor is creating far more pressure at the case therefore much easier to stall the compressor because if the uneven compression.
That is the one thing i would definitely change.
Just my opinion.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:50 AM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by jurajantonak
one thing i noticed about the blades is they don't have the proper twist from root to tip , they are flat therefore this compressor is creating far more pressure at the case therefore much easier to stall the compressor because if the uneven compression.
That is the one thing i would definitely change.
Just my opinion.
In early axial turbine design the compressor stages often had similar or the same angles for several stages, and indeed had identical profiles rather than the theoretical best. The difference in compression between stages was adjusted by cropping the blades so they became shorter with pressure rise. They usually had strip blading with no twist. An early program of the UK National Gas Turbine Establishment in 1953 compared the results of untwisted blades with twisted ones. This study was coincidentally for a 6 stage compressor.

http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/...rc/rm/2928.pdf

For model design like this the goal is to get the engine to run at all not to worry about small differences in efficiency. Having said that I cannot see the axial stages clearly enough to determine what their shape is.

This is a great engineering project and niffi should be congratulated in completing the design and machining and getting so close to what looks like a running engine. This has been a goal of many model engineers and I know of several projects that either were never completed or failed to self sustain. At least this engine has a chance of working with the help from Alfred Kittleberger in the design of the combustion chamber. I just hope that no more attempt are made to run on gas and that the proper engine mounts are attached rather than gripping it in a vice. I would be a shame to have it slip out and crash to the floor! I look forward to seeing more when the engine is ready to run on Kero.

John
Old 02-19-2014, 05:52 AM
foster4u
My Feedback: (112)

Originally Posted by Jgwright
In early axial turbine design the compressor stages often had similar or the same angles for several stages, and indeed had identical profiles rather than the theoretical best. The difference in compression between stages was adjusted by cropping the blades so they became shorter with pressure rise. They usually had strip blading with no twist. An early program of the UK National Gas Turbine Establishment in 1953 compared the results of untwisted blades with twisted ones. This study was coincidentally for a 6 stage compressor.

http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/...rc/rm/2928.pdf

For model design like this the goal is to get the engine to run at all not to worry about small differences in efficiency. Having said that I cannot see the axial stages clearly enough to determine what their shape is.

This is a great engineering project and niffi should be congratulated in completing the design and machining and getting so close to what looks like a running engine. This has been a goal of many model engineers and I know of several projects that either were never completed or failed to self sustain. At least this engine has a chance of working with the help from Alfred Kittleberger in the design of the combustion chamber. I just hope that no more attempt are made to run on gas and that the proper engine mounts are attached rather than gripping it in a vice. I would be a shame to have it slip out and crash to the floor! I look forward to seeing more when the engine is ready to run on Kero.

John
Very well stated John! This is a major achievement and it deserves our admiration.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:48 PM
jurajantonak

Oh dont get me wrong this engine is incredible , but you know every single percent of efficiency is quite significant when talking about aircraft engines.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:44 AM
niffi

First of all, many thanks for the nice words!

one thing i noticed about the blades is they don't have the proper twist from root to tip

No, that is not correct. All six Stages have twisted Blades and i am convinced, that it is quite important. As you already said, you need every
percentage of efficiency.
The Picture shows some Compressor Blades which are not used because they are faulty at some point. But you see the Twist of
the Blades:

The difference in compression between stages was adjusted by cropping the blades so they became shorter with pressure rise.
Mmh, i donīt know if i have misunderstood you, but the reason for cropping the blades is to maintain a constant dynamic Pressure (Air Speed and thereby Angle of Attack)
throughout the Compressor while the static Pressure rises.

The Test Stand is currently in Production togehter with the electronics and no, there will be no more Testruns in the old Vice...
More Videos and News soon!

Last edited by niffi; 02-20-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:18 AM
Jgwright

Niffi

Many thanks for posting the extra photos of the compressor blades, superb machining job. The more you post the more I am amazed at the effort you have put into this project. I look forward to seeing more test runs.

John
Old 02-20-2014, 01:22 AM
Gerald Rutten

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dito, amazing work!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:27 PM
niffi

The E-Starter is finished now. The Motor is way to small for the Engine, but it has to fit into the Nosecone... So there is a temperature Sensor fitted onto the Motor
and it gives out a Warning at 70°Celsius. The Engine is ignited at around 3.000 RPM to support the Starter and idle Speed is reached at 17.000 RPM
(Yes, thats another big difference to radial Compressors, they need much higher RPM)
The Starter is equipped with an inertia coupling, so it uncouples automatically. A short Vdeo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6HqY...ature=youtu.be

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	9bls.jpg
Views:	8272
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1970629  
Old 02-20-2014, 06:08 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

The E-Starter is finished now. The Motor is way to small for the Engine, but it has to fit into the Nosecone... So there is a temperature Sensor fitted onto the Motor
and it gives out a Warning at 70°Celsius. The Engine is ignited at around 3.000 RPM to support the Starter and idle Speed is reached at 17.000 RPM
(Yes, thats another big difference to radial Compressors, they need much higher RPM)
The Starter is equipped with an inertia coupling, so it uncouples automatically. A short Vdeo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6HqY...ature=youtu.be

i SOOOO need two of these for my F14!
Old 02-26-2014, 02:30 PM
TTRotary

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damned impressive work. I find the compressor case design very clever. How do you control the stators?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.