Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What the hell is wrong with the modeling community these days??????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What the hell is wrong with the modeling community these days??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Wingdinger2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ARUP
Screw other hobbyists... I'm in this for myself! Every once in a while I get the urge to create some dreams for the kiddos. I made this for my neighbors' grand kids.

I've been in this hobby a long time. Not as long as some but longer than most. I make my own fun. If others want to join in the reindeer games then... GREAT! Screw all the whiners and complainers and etc.! They can 'play' elsewhere. If they get in my face then look the h#ll out because I don't fool around!
Now that, I must say, is pretty dang cool. Steerable tail wheel?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:08 PM
M3Baker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reznor
Jeremy,

Some useful insight in this thread. And some not so much.

I would contend that at the local and personal level, things are going great. I look at our clubs and the events we have as fine examples. I thoroughly enjoy each of the events as well as the time I spend at the field just socializing with everyone. Since we run in some of the same circles, I see you somewhat agree that the drama level is quite low locally all things considered. I can't speak to other clubs or events, so I'll only comment on what I know. Yet I do occasionally see and embarrassingly participate in some of the local "sky is falling" scenarios. However, I am getting a lot better at checking myself up on what are becoming increasingly isolated incidents.

In my opinion, it's the online RC community that seems to have suffered in the past few years. I can barely look at RCU anymore no matter what the RC discipline we're discussing. I used to enjoy and benefit from the information gained here and from a few of the other forums, but now look elsewhere for that data and inspiration.

And before I get a “well then don’t read them” comment - I usually don’t. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing in the correct context, but used in a flippant and/or incoherent manner it becomes pathetic and useless.

There are a select few on these forums that can't keep their mouths shut. They chime in on every thread whether they have knowledge relative to the discussion or not. Please, if you have useful information that is pertinent to the thread by all means make your comments. But the one line, glib, inflammatory, know-it-all garbage that a few people seem compelled to post ruins it all for what appears to be a lot of people. For me, the best way to curb this is to simply ignore them. It also has the added benefit of irritating the instigator as they go unacknowledged.

Jack Diaz has a valid point when he cites a "behavioral" phenomenon that empowers an anonymous person hiding behind a screen and keyboard in their basement to say things they would most likely never repeat to the intended recipient in person. This is a pet peeve of mine and isn't just relegated to the online RC community. Contributing to that is a prevalent inability to spell or have even a hint of grammar skill. Blame auto spell check, your phone, tablet, computer, or whatever you want folks - the point you are trying to make loses all credibility when a 10 year old is more cognitive than you are.

Anyhow Jeremy (and others), please hang in there. This is a great hobby full of great people. Enjoy all of the local activities and fine modelers you know. Stay away from the non-constructive forums and your outlook may be swayed to the more positive side. It's working out very well for me.

Bill Broderick - you know where I am.
Very well said, sir.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:55 PM
mojo13

Jeremy, you must be my long lost twin i never had......you and i think just alike on all you have said.......I think thou the key word you said was lacking to use........"COMMON SENSE"..............People,Use your Brain..and have Common sense........

Last edited by mojo13; 10-15-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:22 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (29)

Hey I used those words. RCU admin reprimanded me ! Now I will read on . Yes I agree. Now my question is , does anyone know how to give a airframe a through inspection ? Also read the reviews RCU members put ? Yea it's sad the good old building days are left to the Chinese :-)
Old 10-15-2013, 04:36 PM
bw5493
My Feedback: (36)

To comment on the original post, I think all clubs have the same break down, a good group of guys who love to joke and have fun and fly like they stole it, the newbies, and not so newbies that are like the guy Mayhem in the Allstate commercials and wreck more than they fly, some will accept help, some not. You have your Pattern guru, racers and Jet guys. I too fly jets, and of the 8 Turbine waiver holders in my state, we have 5 of them, 2 which fly a lot. I find that your jet guys are THE most experienced guys at the field..hands down. Why? Because when you crash a $1400 pattern plane, it doesn't cause a 80+ acre brush fire. Everything about the speed of the jet, the forces it encounters in flight, the precision that just running and setting up the engine demands and the fact that the thing will hit 200+ mph makes you have to be a good pilot. There is a logical reasoning behind the turbine waiver process we have now. You cant just fly an 80mph Hybrid electric pattern and think for a minute your flying a high performance airplane. A 140mph FAI old school ballistic pattern with retracts and pipe..then yes. But the stuff that so calls itself pattern these days with their electric motors that about come to a stop in the downline..not so much. So flying that type of plane does not qual you in my or my fellow waiver holders books. Even for real pilots, constant speed prop and retracts are required for a high performance rating, because pilot workload is greater in these type planes. So shall it be in model turbines. You need to have experience flying fast, heavy wing loaded warbirds, ballistic pattern, pylon or complex scale ships. Then you need to show me you can indeed make all the required flight maneuvers without me wanting to run for cover from take off to shutdown.
You have your folks that because of the above, think we are a good old boy group, but that can't be further from the truth. The guys who fly high end stuff, are the most active, and the most demanding as well as the most giving of all the club pilots. We fly more buddy boxes, we make more first flights for folks, and are always willing to lend a hand, a tool, a part etc.
So go fly, and lead by the example, let folks ***** if they want to, I think most just like doing it to hear their heads rattle.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Malydilnar
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by bw5493
To comment on the original post, I think all clubs have the same break down, a good group of guys who love to joke and have fun and fly like they stole it, the newbies, and not so newbies that are like the guy Mayhem in the Allstate commercials and wreck more than they fly, some will accept help, some not. You have your Pattern guru, racers and Jet guys. I too fly jets, and of the 8 Turbine waiver holders in my state, we have 5 of them, 2 which fly a lot. I find that your jet guys are THE most experienced guys at the field..hands down. Why? Because when you crash a $1400 pattern plane, it doesn't cause a 80+ acre brush fire. Everything about the speed of the jet, the forces it encounters in flight, the precision that just running and setting up the engine demands and the fact that the thing will hit 200+ mph makes you have to be a good pilot. There is a logical reasoning behind the turbine waiver process we have now. You cant just fly an 80mph Hybrid electric pattern and think for a minute your flying a high performance airplane. A 140mph FAI old school ballistic pattern with retracts and pipe..then yes. But the stuff that so calls itself pattern these days with their electric motors that about come to a stop in the downline..not so much. So flying that type of plane does not qual you in my or my fellow waiver holders books. Even for real pilots, constant speed prop and retracts are required for a high performance rating, because pilot workload is greater in these type planes. So shall it be in model turbines. You need to have experience flying fast, heavy wing loaded warbirds, ballistic pattern, pylon or complex scale ships. Then you need to show me you can indeed make all the required flight maneuvers without me wanting to run for cover from take off to shutdown.
You have your folks that because of the above, think we are a good old boy group, but that can't be further from the truth. The guys who fly high end stuff, are the most active, and the most demanding as well as the most giving of all the club pilots. We fly more buddy boxes, we make more first flights for folks, and are always willing to lend a hand, a tool, a part etc.
So go fly, and lead by the example, let folks ***** if they want to, I think most just like doing it to hear their heads rattle.
hmmm, normally I wouldn't argue with a jet guys, because I do have incredible respect for you and your machines, but saying that Pattern pilots aren't real pilots or that "you cant just fly an 80mph Hybrid electric pattern and think for a minute your flying a high performance airplane" is degrading to say the least. I would of thought that someone who seems dedicated to this hobby like yourself would respect others, not call us bad pilots. On another note, you pointed out that all us pattern guys use electric motors which need no tuning, and that our airplanes fly 80 mph. This isn't true at all, as there are plenty of glow guys still around, and pattern planes reach 80 mph while being incredibly light and draggy, which I would think you'd find impressive. Also, think of all famous pilots out there, 3d, pattern, jet...most got their skills by flying pattern. I just understand why you're hating....
Old 10-15-2013, 07:06 PM
DaleJEckart
My Feedback: (5)

I build because I like to. I go out to the field mostly to bs.I fly sparingly. That is what I do. No apologies.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:40 PM
bw5493
My Feedback: (36)

Originally Posted by Malydilnar
hmmm, normally I wouldn't argue with a jet guys, because I do have incredible respect for you and your machines, but saying that Pattern pilots aren't real pilots or that "you cant just fly an 80mph Hybrid electric pattern and think for a minute your flying a high performance airplane" is degrading to say the least. I would of thought that someone who seems dedicated to this hobby like yourself would respect others, not call us bad pilots. On another note, you pointed out that all us pattern guys use electric motors which need no tuning, and that our airplanes fly 80 mph. This isn't true at all, as there are plenty of glow guys still around, and pattern planes reach 80 mph while being incredibly light and draggy, which I would think you'd find impressive. Also, think of all famous pilots out there, 3d, pattern, jet...most got their skills by flying pattern. I just understand why you're hating....

Maly,
I think you may have misunderstood me, and or maybe I came off wrong. We have had guys in entry level pattern, flying a Focus that is electric powered, and has a couple pattern contest and maybe a season of flying time on that type airframe, now he thinks he's up for the challenge of flying a turbine. I beg to differ. He is not. He is well on his way, but he needs another step prior to jumping right in and getting that king Cat. He does not have the fast, heavy flight profile required to achieve a turbine waiver...yet. Time on a buddy box and sure, he'll get there. What is my justification, simple, the plane does not go fast enough, nor carry itself the way a jet does. It in no way gets behind the power curve a heavy tip stalling warbird or jet has. I am not saying that Andrew Jesky, who flies here once and a while isn't a great pilot..he is a tremendous pilot, and a really nice guy too! The modern Pattern plane, is a huge night and day different from a Ballistic Pattern. Period, and you can't tell me they are not. The construction is different, the flight profiles are different, where as the modern aircraft are hybrids that are built like toothpicks to accommodate electric, not all balsa planked like the Senior pattern. I never hinted that electric guys are inferior because they can't tune, to the contraire..they know how to put together watts per pound versus amp draw and prop and battery combos that about require a crash course in differential equations. Please don't get me wrong. What I was trying to say is that some folks will fix up the flying field, some will ***** about it, Some will compete in Pylon, most wont etc. The Jet guys, and your high end 30% and bigger pilots are quite typically your most experienced pilots, and it's for really good reason. But because we fly what we do, and because we don't just teach anyone to fly jets on a buddy box, we get accused of being snobs, or A-holes, when in reality, we couldn't be further from it. Same with some of our high end pattern guys, they are really talented, but they don't lend themselves to teaching newbies, or tuning people planes. (Andrew Jesky does though on occasion when he stops by) So my advise is to lead by example, and if your wanting to be a jet guy, get pleanty of experience on Heavy loaded, fast moving complex operating planes first, otherwise your wasting time and money, and could be putting your jet, and people around you into jeopardy.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:55 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Bottom line bro, "Don't let the Turkeys get you down".

BTW I think Jack D. really hit the nail on the head with his 2 cents. These forums are a kind of entertainment. Often they are kind, sharing, and provide a real community to a small fragment of this hobby that would otherwise be a little lonely. Sometimes they are pretty brutal and mean spirited too. As a newby to the RCU jet forums I can see you are a passionate lot. Sometimes I despair like Jeremy. But it beats the heck out of reading actual newspapers. That news is much worse! So I return again and again. I get the good and the bad news here. I connect with some and I am repulsed by others. But for me the reality of this hobby will always be about flying (with my friends) and building (which I do alone) and lastly the forums (to learn, share, and pass the time). Three cheers for those of you who participate but never treat others rudely here. And for the most part thanks for the dialog. It really is good to have you around
Old 10-15-2013, 07:59 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by husafreak
Bottom line bro, "Don't let the Turkeys get you down".

BTW I think Jack D. really hit the nail on the head with his 2 cents. These forums are a kind of entertainment. Often they are kind, sharing, and provide a real community to a small fragment of this hobby that would otherwise be a little lonely. Sometimes they are pretty brutal and mean spirited too. As a newby to the RCU jet forums I can see you are a passionate lot. Sometimes I despair like Jeremy. But it beats the heck out of reading actual newspapers. That news is much worse! So I return again and again. I get the good and the bad news here. I connect with some and I am repulsed by others. But for me the reality of this hobby will always be about flying (with my friends) and building (which I do alone) and lastly the forums (to learn, share, and pass the time). Three cheers for those of you who participate but never treat others rudely here. And for the most part thanks for the dialog. It really is good to have you around
Here, here! I can only take RCU in moderation these days. I'd much rather banter and burn kero with my friends.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

One of the forums I lurk most of the time is the Warbirds. I guess this is where my primary interests lie, although I am mostly into scale. I want to point to the OP as well here. If you look at the Warbird forums, it is almost all ARF's. Now that is understandable I suppose. Warbirds are hard to build, so if you want one, an ARF is an easy way to get one.

If you notice though, so many complain about new models coming slowly to market, then that they are not "Scale" enough, and then on top of that that they are too expensive or getting that way. First of all, if you are buying an ARF, then you should not complain about it not being scale. Also, to get a 1/5th scale warbird for under $700 is a pretty good deal to me. I am of the opinion most of these complainers have probably never built an aircraft of this size to fully understand the effort involved.

I had a thread complaining about the hobby a few weeks back. The problem for me is that these issues are not just in RCU. They are at my club field as well. For now, I am just choosing to put my head down and get to work with all of my projects. Building is really where my primary satisfaction lies with this hobby. Then, if it is not scale enough, or of poor quality, I only have myself to blame.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:50 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Something that everyone really needs to keep in mind is that the issues brought up don't fall just into the aircraft world. I've been slammed, ridiculed and worse in the R/C boating world as well as other hobbies outside of R/C. What I've been seeing is those that were the "important people" in school are now seeing opportunities to "take charge" in the various hobby organizations. In doing so, the "important" ones drive out those that actually know what's going on so they don't have anyone to oppose them.
An example of how bad it can get happened to the wife and I a few years back. A fairly new member of a dance club we were officers in was elected president, no big deal there. Just before the yearly scheduled elections, he asked me to meet with him to go over some ideas he had. In actuality, he wanted me to step down from my office so he could put someone else in that position and "I didn't need to know who it was". When I refused, he waited until after he was re-elected and verbally attacked and "fired" me in front of the membership. Six months later, we were lured into a second meeting under false pretenses and attacked again. This time, the wife took the brunt of it. The following weekend, we were informed there was talk of a "libel suit" being filed against us so, to save ourselves the stress, we left the club and joined another. In the new club, we were not only warmly welcomed, we were elected officers and have the full support of the membership. The ironic part of this is that many of the members of the club we left have spent the last couple of years trying to get us to come back, apparently they are learning how much we actually had done to keep the club functioning smoothly

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 10-16-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:53 AM
MTK

Originally Posted by bw5493
Maly,
I think you may have misunderstood me, and or maybe I came off wrong. We have had guys in entry level pattern, flying a Focus that is electric powered, and has a couple pattern contest and maybe a season of flying time on that type airframe, now he thinks he's up for the challenge of flying a turbine. I beg to differ. He is not. He is well on his way, but he needs another step prior to jumping right in and getting that king Cat. He does not have the fast, heavy flight profile required to achieve a turbine waiver...yet. Time on a buddy box and sure, he'll get there. What is my justification, simple, the plane does not go fast enough, nor carry itself the way a jet does. It in no way gets behind the power curve a heavy tip stalling warbird or jet has. I am not saying that Andrew Jesky, who flies here once and a while isn't a great pilot..he is a tremendous pilot, and a really nice guy too! The modern Pattern plane, is a huge night and day different from a Ballistic Pattern. Period, and you can't tell me they are not. The construction is different, the flight profiles are different, where as the modern aircraft are hybrids that are built like toothpicks to accommodate electric, not all balsa planked like the Senior pattern. I never hinted that electric guys are inferior because they can't tune, to the contraire..they know how to put together watts per pound versus amp draw and prop and battery combos that about require a crash course in differential equations. Please don't get me wrong. What I was trying to say is that some folks will fix up the flying field, some will ***** about it, Some will compete in Pylon, most wont etc. The Jet guys, and your high end 30% and bigger pilots are quite typically your most experienced pilots, and it's for really good reason. But because we fly what we do, and because we don't just teach anyone to fly jets on a buddy box, we get accused of being snobs, or A-holes, when in reality, we couldn't be further from it. Same with some of our high end pattern guys, they are really talented, but they don't lend themselves to teaching newbies, or tuning people planes. (Andrew Jesky does though on occasion when he stops by) So my advise is to lead by example, and if your wanting to be a jet guy, get pleanty of experience on Heavy loaded, fast moving complex operating planes first, otherwise your wasting time and money, and could be putting your jet, and people around you into jeopardy.
WOOOW!!! You thought all this stuff up yourself didja?

This post is so full of unadulterated BOVINE SKAT. it's not worth my time to answer.....We do agree on one thing: the last statement you make in your diatribe
Old 10-16-2013, 12:11 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MTK
WOOOW!!! You thought all this stuff up yourself didja?

This post is so full of unadulterated BOVINE SKAT. it's not worth my time to answer.....We do agree on one thing: the last statement you make in your diatribe
Not a good idea to pit one type of event or activity against the other. We choose to fly what we want. I see more negativity come from the jet side of the hobby in here than any other facet of the hobby. Talent and skill can be viewed from many different angles. Strap your self into a fast Control line combat ship, and try to follow an experienced pilot around the sky.
I think the point of most of this is an instant gratification mentality that our society has. Our hobby is seeing this manifest itself with ready to fly airplanes. A great deal of knowledge, and experience is lost when we just pull the toy out of the box. Hence, your impatient, future turbine pilot.

Last edited by vertical grimmace; 10-16-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:39 PM
jetmaven

Buy a Sailplane kit , build it straight , put it up in a thermal and watch it soar . Better than any artificial high .
Lose the drama .you'll feel better . Been doing just that for forty years , life's good .
Old 10-16-2013, 04:26 PM
GerKonig

Default Was they changed to then

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Not a good idea to pit one type of event or activity against the other. We choose to fly what we want. I see more negativity come from the jet side of the hobby in here than any other facet of the hobby. Talent and skill can be viewed from many different angles. Strap your self into a fast Control line combat ship, and try to follow an experienced pilot around the sky.
I think the point of most of this is an instant gratification mentality that our society has. Our hobby is seeing this manifest itself with ready to fly airplanes. A great deal of knowledge, and experience is lost when we just pull the toy out of the box. Hence, your impatient, future turbine pilot.
Well, and then they buy a ARF jet, and have somebody build it for them. Now that I think about this, better this way, actually.

Gerry

Last edited by GerKonig; 10-16-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 10-16-2013, 04:28 PM
[email protected]

good for u arup
Old 10-18-2013, 10:54 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
LOL, RCU Manifesto...
I couldn't resist.

LGM, move on down to Northen california and fly with da boyz. We've got JackD, Gonzalo, DubD, DBsonic, etc... All we do is have a ball when we are flying. Absolutely the nicest, kindest, most helpful dudes I've ever met. I haven't been flying as much as I'd like to lately, but I know the Norcal homies are going to be around ready to fly!

I'm actually missing flying with Ian and Presta as well!! It's been too long!!