Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Would you use them in a Turbine Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Would you use them in a Turbine Jet

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 05:50 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
Your only guessing .................
This isn't the thread for it Dennis, but I've be involved with and watching Multiplex since well before yours and Hitec's involvement and saw the big change in its US promotion when it was forced to drop its existing US distributor and let HitecUSA do it, many years before 2.4G. Anyway it's water long gone under the bridge and it's not going to change so we can drop it.

Last edited by HarryC; 10-21-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't have to buy one to comment. I've seen more than enough fail here locally with my own eyes, taken them apart to find bits of solder floating around inside with my own eyes. After the real life experiences I've seen here with them, buying one would not be a no brainer, it would be a purchase using no brains. I have no interest in flying foamies, even less interest in spending even a hundred bucks and saying "meh, I don't care if it crashes". When you witness multiples of one product fail, that tells me the smart money is on not purchasing them. I don't care if it costs only eight bucks, even in a foamy its going into an airplane worth a hundred bucks.

Originally Posted by Jetflyer3000
The point I was making was that the ones that bound ok are working fine and have been for quite a while

And when you consider that the 6 ch receivers are £4 each this is a no brainer for me on the smaller models. Many people are buying them as they go out of stock very quickly. If you havn't tried one I would give one a go in something small then you will be in a better position to comment
Old 10-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
I don't have to buy one to comment. I've seen more than enough fail here locally with my own eyes, taken them apart to find bits of solder floating around inside with my own eyes. After the real life experiences I've seen here with them, buying one would not be a no brainer, it would be a purchase using no brains. I have no interest in flying foamies, even less interest in spending even a hundred bucks and saying "meh, I don't care if it crashes". When you witness multiples of one product fail, that tells me the smart money is on not purchasing them. I don't care if it costs only eight bucks, even in a foamy its going into an airplane worth a hundred bucks.
My experiences of them are different to yours obviously. I have bought several and flown several and if they work ok from the off they have been fine.

So I will go with my evidence of having bought and used them you go with your evidence having never owned or used one yourself.

That's the great thing about the free world we can each do what we wish in this regard at least
Old 10-21-2013, 08:19 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryC
This isn't the thread for it Dennis, but I've be involved with and watching Multiplex since well before yours and Hitec's involvement and saw the big change in its US promotion when it was forced to drop its existing US distributor and let HitecUSA do it, many years before 2.4G. Anyway it's water long gone under the bridge and it's not going to change so we can drop it.
And you’re still only guessing and offering your opinion. Multiplex did and Jeti will as well have a difficult time breaking into the North American market where they are the new kid on the block. There are already well established and trusted radio manufacturers. This in itself will regulate Jeti to but a token number of users in North America. Hobby King even though and not approved will far outstrip sales of Jeti. For the few that swear by and use the Jeti product I truly hope they continue to have a North American supplier. Recently making the programming as simple and user friendly as possible is what drives sales. This is something that was lacking with Multiplex and from a few Jeti users I know they think it could be made much easier. This is not a knock against either radio just showing the mind set of the majority of users here.

Dennis
Old 10-21-2013, 08:20 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetflyer3000

That's the great thing about the free world we can each do what we wish in this regard at least
That I will agree on. I do wish you sincere success using them, I don't personally believe in crossing products anyway where a radio signal is necessary, I didn't even use hitec receivers back when they made futaba and JR compatible ones, though many people did. A guy has to use what he's comfortable with, that's all. So I guess in short, in answer to your question, No, I would never put an orange receiver into a jet EDF foamy or turbine.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Ed

" No, I would never put an orange receiver into a jet EDF foamy or turbine. " - LGM

I could ask the same of using a Hitec in a turbine ? In fact, let me take it a step further, and every one out there, tell me what you think is the most popular make radio that is used in the Jet World today ? It's about time that we knew. JR, Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, Multiplex, Jeti, Orange, or whatever ? I'm building my first jet, and need to know what is the best to use ?

Thank you.

Ed
Old 10-21-2013, 12:48 PM
bluescoobydoo

I use hitec servos in all my jets and have never had a problem, as for the most popular radio well I will stand back from that debate but when I was looking at getting jets and I had no reason to pick one brand over another I looked around at what other people were flying along with what problems people were getting with their choice and that's what made my mind up to go with futaba 2.4 which has never had a problem.
I have seen to many unexplained crashes from uncontrollable planes only to find everything working when you get to it, so I have been very glad I made the choice I have.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:50 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You missed listing Weatronic & Act. These are probably not the most popular by number of users.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:54 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

I have first hand experience with the Orange receivers, I own 8 of the Orange Futaba comparable receivers. I've never had a problem with one of them, I have about 200 flights on my EDF F-100, but I've never seen them used in a Turbine model. My friend has a BVM F-16 on 12S that he traded Rhino turbine for, he has a Orange DSM 2 in that one and I've flown it myself a few times, never had a problem. That plane is valued at around $3,000 just to give you an idea of his trust level! In fact these receivers have taken over our field, I've got one in my EDF Mig-15 also, I do not use one in my BVM Bobcat.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
I have first hand experience with the Orange receivers, I own 8 of the Orange Futaba comparable receivers. I've never had a problem with one of them, I have about 200 flights on my EDF F-100, but I've never seen them used in a Turbine model. My friend has a BVM F-16 on 12S that he traded Rhino turbine for, he has a Orange DSM 2 in that one and I've flown it myself a few times, never had a problem. That plane is valued at around $3,000 just to give you an idea of his trust level! In fact these receivers have taken over our field, I've got one in my EDF Mig-15 also, I do not use one in my BVM Bobcat.

Well done that man
Old 10-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

As a side note please keep this thread on track and let us not go off discussing the F and S word
Old 10-21-2013, 05:31 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

I've had 3 Orange receivers (the JR/Spectrum-compatible kind). One working well in a park flyer, One DOA and one failed after <4 flights (it failed on the ground, though). To me that is enough problems that I would not consider putting them anything with the potential to hurt someone - or that I didn't want to risk losing. That was a year or two ago and I'm sure they are getting better and will continue to improve. But why take a chance on it? Paying even for a known good receiver seems logical when I'm spending money for redundant power systems, etc. There is enough risk as it is.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:06 PM
jetmaven

Maybe I missed something , I admit I haven't read every word in this thread but for anyone who has done this for more than a few years please recall the words RANGE CHECK , And I mean HARD range check. That would mean walking or driving away from your model to the point that you can't see the imputs you're making , then call the person helping you ( that's why the cell phone was invented ) and ask what's moving and how well.I've done it, it works . I use the full length of our field , about 1500' . Hey , if your plane has an engine , get it running before you go.
Just because some flashing light indicates that's something is bound to something else is at least to me , worthless .
If it fails on the ground , you've lost exactly nothing .if it fails in the air , well that's another story.
More than a few times I've seen a newbie show up at the field knowing nothing and watch an " instructor" do a radio set up and take to the air with no range check . More than once , it doesn't end well .
Any radio link can fail for any number of reasons ,but some fail more than others .
Old 10-21-2013, 07:46 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Here is an excellent comparison between a Futaba rx and a Chinese Rx that was done some time ago: http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/fasst_...e_review.shtml

"The review sample is one of only five in existence at the time this was written.

Despite obviously being a pre-production sample the TFR8 is well made and reflects good design decisions in respect to construction and layout. It is a little wider than the equivalent Futaba receiver but much thinner due to its single-deck construction, versus Futaba's two-deck method (as seen below).

This is obviously not a "clone", the differences are many and varied so there's no risk of law-suits on the basis of simply copying the original. This is good news for prospective buyers and sellers."

The TFR8 is made by Frsky and they also apparently make the Orange FASST rx's.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:29 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by radfordc
Here is an excellent comparison between a Futaba rx and a Chinese Rx that was done some time ago: http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/fasst_...e_review.shtml

"The review sample is one of only five in existence at the time this was written.

Despite obviously being a pre-production sample the TFR8 is well made and reflects good design decisions in respect to construction and layout. It is a little wider than the equivalent Futaba receiver but much thinner due to its single-deck construction, versus Futaba's two-deck method (as seen below).

This is obviously not a "clone", the differences are many and varied so there's no risk of law-suits on the basis of simply copying the original. This is good news for prospective buyers and sellers."

The TFR8 is made by Frsky and they also apparently make the Orange FASST rx's.
Thanks for that link radfordc! I had to laugh at his comparison on the second page, I won't quote the whole thing here: "... ______ receiver will have had a cup of cocoa, said its prayers and gone to sleep."
Old 10-22-2013, 06:04 AM
radfordc

Futaba is now recommending that you use cheap Chinese made Rxs. I just purchased 3 new Futaba R617FS's from Tower Hobbies for $33 each. They are all marked "Made in China".
Old 10-22-2013, 06:27 AM
jetster81

Originally Posted by radfordc
They are all marked "Made in China".
But that all depends at which factory and to which specification and for which customer as to how good or bad the quality may be.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:40 AM
dbsonic

That is correct. It is a matter of practices and specifications put in place. I think Flextronics has locations there making all sorts of gadgets we use today.

Futaba has their own custom ICs, btw. So it is unlikely you will ever see an exact clone of a Futaba RX(although there have been cases of stolen mask sets in the semi industry). This integrated IC will mean less power consumption and fewer external components('more reliable' in the words of Futaba) as compared to the Orange. Not sure what JR does.

Last edited by dbsonic; 10-22-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Ed

" Not sure what JR does "

From all of the jet flyers that I have now spoken to, JR, and Spektrum do it better.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by Ed
" Not sure what JR does "

From all of the jet flyers that I have now spoken to, JR, and Spektrum do it better.
Google JR-Spektrum jet lockout and before ya get all huffy I did the same for Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics and the number of posts re JR-Spectrum were concerning to say the least.

Dennis
Old 10-22-2013, 01:12 PM
dbsonic

I didn't mean to start anything. I'm just sayin' I don't know what JR does. I don't know if they design their own SOCs.
Shows a certain level of commitment if they do as fab costs aren't cheap.
But I do like their power-safe rx power design idea and servos.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by dbsonic
I didn't mean to start anything. I'm just sayin' I don't know what JR does. I don't know if they design their own SOCs.
Shows a certain level of commitment if they do as fab costs aren't cheap.
But I do like their power-safe rx power design idea and servos.
Every system has its detractors and supporters. That’s a good thing competition helps to keep prices down. Unfortunately when you start throwing which radio is best into the mix the extremists both for and against become the most vocal and the discussion seems to go downhill from there. When it comes to picking your radio do your research and pick the radio whose features and price range suit you. If everyone at the field or the discipline you chose to fly seem to support one brand over another there may be a reason but most of the time I have found its more marketing than anything else. I have seen some pretty advanced models flown with what some would consider basic equipment and it was flown very well. One example was at a pattern event at the MAAC nationals. A young man flew a Goldberg Chipmunk with a 4 channel radio no mixing or dual rates or conditions. He flew in the sportsmen division and did a good enough job to finish in the top 3 much to the dismay of the other sportsmen who were flying advanced pattern ships with top end radios. It’s not the radio that makes the flyer it is only a tool to make the job easier. All one has to do is ask around the club I would bet dollars to donuts there is at least one old booger who fly’s some old Astro Hog doing slow rolls and 4 point rolls right on the deck like it was nothing. His radio probably something he has owned for years. If you ask it’s all him on the sticks has no need to mix or create conditions for different maneuvers. Sometimes I feel like too many rely on the radio features to do the flying for them.

Dennis
Old 10-22-2013, 02:35 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Not on your life would I use one of these.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:53 PM
radfordc

You mean one of these $40 "Made in China" receivers?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lfutl7627.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1932115  
Old 10-23-2013, 01:22 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes I am sure he did, but if we in Europe could get them for that price the question of using the Orange Rx's would not arise, in the UK we would be lucky to get them at under £54.00 at an exchange rate today of $1.6 to the £ .............................

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.