Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How to make your turbine handle grass fields

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How to make your turbine handle grass fields

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:04 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Pulling it off the deck too early and snapping is much worse than a long take off run
I have seen this happen with countless prop powered models but never a turbine powered one.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:24 AM
Levi Wags

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grbaker
I have seen this happen with countless prop powered models but never a turbine powered one.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=goqf32HBA-g
Old 10-24-2013, 09:57 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys for all the help, I changed the wheels for some that are a little bigger and roll a little better. I upped the rpm for close to 18pounds of thrust, and I added alummum control horns on my flap servos as one striped on me while I was trying to land.

Also before this flight I bent my Centry Jet Modles nose retract and had them upgread the strut to 1/2in as 3/8 was just to small. And had them make it 5mm longer while they were at it.

I cant belive I was easly able to control and land this modle even with only one flap down. My Gaint P40 had a flap servo strip once and it tried to roll over on its back.

I hope to give it another shot this weekend if it freaken stops trying to snow!

Thanks Guys.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
Thanks guys for all the help, I changed the wheels for some that are a little bigger and roll a little better. I upped the rpm for close to 18pounds of thrust, and I added alummum control horns on my flap servos as one striped on me while I was trying to land.

Also before this flight I bent my Centry Jet Modles nose retract and had them upgread the strut to 1/2in as 3/8 was just to small. And had them make it 5mm longer while they were at it.

I cant belive I was easly able to control and land this modle even with only one flap down. My Gaint P40 had a flap servo strip once and it tried to roll over on its back.

I hope to give it another shot this weekend if it freaken stops trying to snow!

Thanks Guys.

Bigger tires... More thrust... sounds like you will be fine.

Since I'm next door (Pitt)... I feel the pain with the snow. It was dropping a little snow on me, on my way home tonight.

What field do you fly at? I get out to the NightHawks every once in a while. (in OH)
Old 10-24-2013, 03:45 PM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

Definitely don't use full/landing flap. That is just drag. I taxi out and turn to the runway and go without stopping. Gives me a rolling start. I have always flown off grass. Trailing links definitely help keep gear from bending and getting hung up in the wheel wells.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:55 PM
jkpape

Done correctly, it's not a recipe for a surprise snap. First of all you don't maintain full up elevator until the aircraft takes off, just on the initial roll. You reduce up elevator input as the aircraft increases speed. But, you still want to keep the nose gear light with the majority of the weight on the mains.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:55 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by essyou35
holding full elevator on take off is a recipe for a nasty surprise snap. Lifting off too soon is a major cause of crashes, I would not touch the elevator until you are at speed.

I probably have over a thousand or 1500 flights on 3 different Bandits and I held full up elevator on take off on every flight.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:05 PM
rctech2k7
My Feedback: (1)

From aviation proverbs:
If you want to go up, pull back on the stick
If you want to go down, pull back on the stick a little more
If you want to go down fast and spin, keep pulling back on the stick