Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM F-100D build thread.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM F-100D build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 12:02 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ravill,
I have 8911's in mine and i didn't have that issue. I think what i may have done was moved the servo's up in the ply tray to avoid this and then i opened the hole at the top for the push rod's to go thru with out binding.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:59 AM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ravill
So Gary, your post is kind of confusing?

You say "Mine tucked badly at first also" and then you say "I am using the recommended cg" clarification please.

Did you fix how the airplane tucks with some other thing other than moving the CG back?
Ravill,
Sorry about making that confusing...I guess what I meant was that I found it difficult to get the balance correct using just my fingers to lift the f100, which is how I originally balanced the plane. When it started tucking I was told by everyone that it was nose heavy and I need to move the cg back a little so I added some weight in the tail but it was very difficult to tell if it actually had any effect on the balance by just lifting the plane with my fingers. I flew it again after adding weight and it was still tucking so I added a little bit more and it continued to tuck in the turns. I then decided to add quite a bit more weight to make sure it stopped tucking, which it did, but then seemed tail heavy on landing.

This is when I decided to just buy the balancer, remove all the weight I installed and go back to using BV's recommended cg. This worked to stop the tucking on the very next flight and flew perfectly in the air and on landing. The balancer is suppose to be accurate to within a half an ounce (if I remember correctly).
I just couldn't get a good feel for the balance when lifting the f100 by hand so I dont think I ever really knew if the plane was actually properly balanced on the cg or not and the balancer seemed to verify that I was not able to get it right just by lifting the plane by hand. I am only making the balancer suggestion because there is a pretty big pucker factor when the plane tucks unexpectedly. If you are flying far away make wide flat turns until you have determined whether or not the plane is balanced properly. Make your initial tight turns close so you can see when it happens and recovery will be easy.

I probably only have 15 flights on mine but It is one of the best flying planes I have owned and lands like a trainer plane when balanced correctly. Short approaches are no problem on landing.

Last edited by Gary Jefferson; 06-13-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:06 PM
roger.alli

Nice work on the paint Raff. I like the red detail around the doors, speed brake and slats..

This is what I did to fit in the larger servo case for elevators, without needing cut outs.

Man I wish I could build as quick as you. Your thread is good motivation to keep me going.

And thanks for the flying tips Gary.. It all adds to the store of knowledge. ..

Roger
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140615_104102.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	3.98 MB
ID:	2005230  
Old 06-16-2014, 03:54 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

That whole servo vent and hanging down was a error that should have been taken out of the manual. All that a person needs to do is raise the servo mounts. I filed the top of the mount and re drilled the servo mount screws. In the beginning Bob was concerned that the servos would over heat. Dan
Old 06-17-2014, 07:13 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Yup, this could have been avoided when the rear former was initially installed.

The geometry could have been figured out at that time, by me. At this point, two extra cooling ducts will be fine in my model.

I will post all these little findings of mine (and ours) on my first post and recommend the changes to BVM so that others can avoid these little changes.

Thanks for clearing that up Gary! Yes, tucking models can pucker one up pretty quickly!

Roger, thanks for the pic. I was thinking about adding an extra ply former to the top and enlarging the hole for the pushrods, but after reading the manual about extra cooling holes where ok, I just went ahead.

Next time, I'll test fit the servos to make sure they fit and make the changes on the former before gluing in that former.

And come on man, get to work! LOL!
Old 07-09-2014, 11:23 AM
ravill

BVM really? Pull-Pull steering?

This part sucks. Its VERY tight in the steering department.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:28 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Raffy, what is that spring doing there? that should be closing the front door, not back there... Is that a mod you made?
Old 07-09-2014, 02:28 PM
ravill

That spring is holding one of the wires of the pull-pull out of the way so neither of them can catch on all the various little things that are crammed in and around that area.

That "centering rod" that holds the wheels straight and the Details For Scale actuator/pump thingy can catch a wire occasionally and hang up the nose gear if that wire isn't held in check.

It took me 4 hours to get all the geometry right. I didn't want to use a rubber band because rubber bands crack, stretch and generally die after a year or so.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:55 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got it! I thought you built the gear backwards LOL.... Doesnt the spring create too much tension against the landing gear opening?

I hear you on the rubber bands. Orthodontic ones seem to be very durable (although short)
Old 07-09-2014, 05:07 PM
roger.alli

Originally Posted by ravill
BVM really? Pull-Pull steering?

This part sucks. Its VERY tight in the steering department.
AGREED on this.

The BVM Purple, blue, and UB gear all use thier superb "direct push rod" steering system.. Oh well, you cant have everything..

Rog
Old 07-10-2014, 07:37 AM
ravill

Originally Posted by JackD
Got it! I thought you built the gear backwards LOL.... Doesnt the spring create too much tension against the landing gear opening?

I hear you on the rubber bands. Orthodontic ones seem to be very durable (although short)
I hope that spring doesn't create too much tension. I stretched the spring and placed it in a spot that looks like it won't hang up on anything. But I'll have to make sure it all works when all the gear are hooked up!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:29 AM
ravill

All the electronics are in!!

Those Details for Scale lights are the Beez kneez man! I love the double strobes and those awesome landing lights! Thanks Dan!

Old 07-18-2014, 10:44 AM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When is it going to fly???

OG willow run is in order....
Old 07-18-2014, 11:25 AM
ravill

DOOOUUUUGGGGLLLAAAASSSSS!!!

The F-100D build is moving right along. 8 months almost to the day building this bad boy!

You've got to get Joey's F-100F up so we can do some formation. Shoot, we should get da Diaz boyz as well!
Old 08-01-2014, 12:06 PM
ravill

All finished!! It took me 7 months to build and paint this bad boy.

The hun balanced RIGHT on BV's recommendation, the Titan SE runs great, the gyro is working great and all the throws are set per BVM. I gave myself another 3/8" of up elevator throw, just in case.

Its maiden time!

Old 08-01-2014, 01:19 PM
DAN AVILLA

Wow thats beautiful . Can't wait to see it. Maybe in BIW. You won't need the extra elevator . I find BV's setting are a bit hot so have a way to reduce the ailerons and elevator when you test fly it. Good luck One note their is a error on the picture in the manual showing the clevis location for the elevator servo horns. Make sure it is as close to the screw as you can . You need all the leverage. On my first flight I ran out of elevator at high speed. Once I slowed it down it was fine. Moved the clevis and the rest is history. Dan
Old 08-01-2014, 01:58 PM
ravill

Thanks for the compliment Dan!

It has special significance when it comes from Mr. Hun himself. I love looking for your F-100 at the meets.

Thanks for the heads up on the elevator. I did move out the clevis one more hole for the extra travel. Do you have 8911's on your elevator?
Old 08-01-2014, 02:19 PM
DAN AVILLA

I think 8711. The ones with the red case. I replace the 8411s 3 years ago. Back in the old days 8411 was the best they had. As a note It will fly with one servo but once up to speed you lose elevator. Did it once by mistake. Just pulled back the throttle. Dan
Old 08-01-2014, 03:01 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful work Rav!
Old 08-02-2014, 01:33 PM
DAN AVILLA

Rav I pulled out the 100 out of the trailer and measured my control throws. My elevator is sitting at 3/16inch above the dot. The travel measured at the rear next to the hot section is 1 3/8 up and 1 1/2 down the ailerons are 7/16 up and 9/16 down. You can see that it is not as much as bv states. I do not use duel rates but always 25% expo. One not I fly with my thumbs if you grab the sticks then my settings will not be enough . Another thing if you fly off a 650 ft or less runway you can land with brakes half on, It will plant the nose and stay on the ground. In a event you are hot and fear of running off the end of a runway . Full brakes and turn . It will spin out with out hurting it. Nice wide gear. Good luck Dan

Last edited by DAN AVILLA; 08-02-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:11 AM
ravill

Originally Posted by DAN AVILLA
Rav I pulled out the 100 out of the trailer and measured my control throws. My elevator is sitting at 3/16inch above the dot. The travel measured at the rear next to the hot section is 1 3/8 up and 1 1/2 down the ailerons are 7/16 up and 9/16 down. You can see that it is not as much as bv states. I do not use duel rates but always 25% expo. One not I fly with my thumbs if you grab the sticks then my settings will not be enough . Another thing if you fly off a 650 ft or less runway you can land with brakes half on, It will plant the nose and stay on the ground. In a event you are hot and fear of running off the end of a runway . Full brakes and turn . It will spin out with out hurting it. Nice wide gear. Good luck Dan
Thanks Dan.

I moved the clevis back to the second hole (as per BVM) and increased all my travels so I now have 1 3/4 inch travel (also as per BVM).

This still leaves me with just under 1/2" more travel than you have. In other words, I should be fine!

Thanks for pullin out the Hun and measuring Dan!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:33 PM
ravill

So I packed up the truck and off to the field I went.

I unloaded and did a "calm the thumbs" flight on my phabulous phantom.

Then it was time for a range check, fuel up, air up, read over the check list and go. All systems go. I'm out of excuses!

The take off was a thing a beauty. I can see why these F-100 always take off so majestically.

A few clicks of right trim and a few clicks of down, and it was tracking just as great as every one else has said that they fly.

Just like Dan had eluded to, the elevators were VERY hot at my settings of an extra 3/8" of travel of BV's recommendation. I had to go to low rates which was just under BV'S recommendations. It flew fantastically.

TheTitan SE was pushing it around perfectly.

Now it was time to set up for landing. Darnit that Hun looks beautiful all dirty!

On my first attempt, I had to go around again as I found that it floated right on by!

On my landing I got VERY VERY slow and it touched down reminiscent of an F-16 landing!!!

I thought it was going to snap, but it did not! I just floated right. On. Down.

What a great airplane.

Let's go do that again!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:39 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice! Based on that description, I'm keeping the BVM F-100 on my "to do" list! I just hope I can get one done while I'm still young enough that I can see it!

Bob
Old 08-11-2014, 12:44 PM
ravill

If you have a BVM F-100D, do NOT be afraid to fly it.

I have a gyro on the rudder and the nose wheel. And it did not tuck, it had not a single bad flying tendency. My elevator settings were a touch too "hot". My CG was set so that the tail just tended to drop on BV's recommendation.

My F-100D seemed to float a bit on approach, so I had to adjust accordingly. This was even with the air brake out.

A touch of crow might fix that, but I'm out of channels and had to "Y" the ailerons.

The other incident I found was just as I was doing a gear check before my third flight.

The top Oleo/scissor weld had come off.

It looked like a cold solder joint that just gave up the ghost. This caused my gear to bind and I was unable to continue flying. But I had two FANTASTIC flights.

After calling BV this morning, they gave me a few pointers to try to fix it myself, or else, they would, ofcourse give me a new strut if I sent it back. This scissor is just for effect and does not affect the functioning of the strut. Thanks Patty and Casey.

I can see how this fantastic flyer can become old faithful. Thanks for another great flying airplane Uncle Bob.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:49 PM
ravill

And one more pic just because I'm so darn proud of my self and this beautiful airplane.

Building and flying, I feel, a BVM F-100 is a milestone in one's R/c career. I feel very lucky and blessed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.