Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FEJ Bae Hawk 1:4.5 Repairs/Fixes (No bashing, just fixing)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FEJ Bae Hawk 1:4.5 Repairs/Fixes (No bashing, just fixing)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Damo260

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DiscoWings
Where was you CofG set at

Damo
Old 07-08-2014, 12:38 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have exact measurements, I went by what my friend has on his hawk meaning all components were placed in the trays, the batts were placed under the pilots, for balance I tipped the plane back while on its main wheels and the plane would gently nose back down on all 3 wheels. This is the CG I have been flying with and its been working fine, its the same method ALI use on this build thread.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Damo260

That's a different way of doing it so that makes the CG on the mains might do a little more research on your way thanks

Damo
Old 07-14-2014, 12:01 AM
Damo260

I just weighed the Hawk it's comes in at 13kg with no turbine I'm happy with that.

The test flight going in a few weeks try and get a video of it

Damo
Old 07-17-2014, 07:17 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

We were just looking at the insides of a FEJ Hawk at the weekend. This model has been delivered in the last couple of months and the owner had the stab x-rayed to see what was inside. It showed the whoeful story we have seen in other images in this thread. He chose to buy a Fei Bao Hawk tailplane which looks to be an exact fit though a little shorter in span.
After this purchases he open up the tailplane by cutting through the skins. All the same old problems. The aliminium joiner far too short, attached to the honeycomb spars with nuts and bolts (I mean to say, how many times do you have to tell them!?), and no carbon in this one.
I conclude that their poloicy is to deliberately clear the bad stock and then charge for an upgrade. Not bashing, just an observation based on experience.
We did look at repairing this stab but not by cutting through the skin. The thing to do is to cut out the root rib and pull out all the structure inside, leaving the skin intact. Make a new, correct length joiner, root and inner rib and spars. Assemble these on the model, not inside the stab. When everthing is straight, slide the existing stab over the new structure, and if it looks straight, glue it all in place.
This I think would work and is something I have done before on other models.
John

Last edited by JohnMac; 07-17-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:24 AM
DiscoWings

Johnmac,

Can you post pictures of your elevator, did it have the aluminum elevator or the carbon wrapped elevator? The updated elevator should look like this:

http://images.rcuniverse.com/market/...113-4-3198.jpg

I have been flying mine with this without issue, also a friend of mine has also been flying his, even after a rough landing that caused gear damage, the plane is still flying fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BniAsg6Yong
Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Damo260

I think I still prefer not to drill into the main spa like FB dose

FB on the left and FEJ on the right

Damo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_129203289978648.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	2014970   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140718_045723.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	2014971  
Old 07-18-2014, 12:49 AM
JohnMac

Hi Discowings.
It is not my plane so I saw the stab at the weekend but I do not have photos. The centre section did not look like this but this means nothing to be honest. How far the ali joiner goes into the stab, and what the structure is inside are the important issues. Since we cannot see inside your stab we cannot judge how good the construction is, but assuming that this is now adequately built, my friends was not and it arrived in the last two months.
John
Old 07-18-2014, 12:54 AM
JohnMac

Originally Posted by Damo260
I think I still prefer not to drill into the main spa like FB dose

FB on the left and FEJ on the right

Damo
Its not a spar its a joiner. It is not problem to put 4 x 3mm holes in this structure as it is solidly made, not airex. It is exactly the same on my Airworld Hawk. I am pretty sure that the full size uses a similar arrangement (bolts may be a bit bigger than 3mm!). The FB Product looked very solidly made, but I cannot vouc for it without X-ray examination. Time will tell.
John
Old 07-18-2014, 08:26 AM
DiscoWings

Originally Posted by JohnMac
Hi Discowings.
It is not my plane so I saw the stab at the weekend but I do not have photos. The centre section did not look like this but this means nothing to be honest. How far the ali joiner goes into the stab, and what the structure is inside are the important issues. Since we cannot see inside your stab we cannot judge how good the construction is, but assuming that this is now adequately built, my friends was not and it arrived in the last two months.
John

You will need to contact fly eagle and ask for the aluminum stab, your friends might have been built with the old stab before the updates were available. As for the construction, the new stab vs the Old stab is night and day, the new one is significantly heavier, I tried compressing the body of it and even 4 inches from the center on either side It is solid. Compared to the old one after 2.5 inches I could compress the structure.

This updated elevator is as strong as they come IMO, the elevator weighs more than a tomahawk 1:3 scale hawk elevator. I'm not saying there are no more issues with the FEJ hawk, but I am saying is this updated elevator will resolve the elevator issue. NOTE; I don't know of anyone that has had the elevator fail on there 1:45 hawk, only 1:55.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Damo260

I agree the new aluminum stab version is a lot strong than the old one. I no a guy in Australia still flying on the old stab with no problems it probably got 50th flight or more now but it running a kingtech K170 in it.

Damo
Old 10-07-2014, 01:34 PM
DiscoWings

I put flight 40 on my hawk Last Sunday, the jet is now flying with a Behotec 180 GOLD EDITION, so everything has been great, no weakness in the elevator at all (removed cover every 10 flights and I can't find any slop or anything else that would raise concern)

The 180 GE is the perfect turbine for it, although it was nice with a 170, the 180 GE additional power makes flying, climbing and take offs much easier.

Some pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/884886...7648090655509/