Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 07:26 AM
Puttputt maru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[HR][/HR]Just rethinking my turbine set up for start up and wondering if you guys can share what you use as far as safety, switches and procedures.

I have JetCat and Behotec and soon a Kingtech turbine (turboprop). RcJets 63 shared his a while back and I am still using it, or a variance of it, for JetCat but still would like to know what differences you guys use. (Here a repost)

I'm using a JetCat turbine so I have the throttle throws set at +/- 75% and the limits set at +/- 100% (these were set in Model -> Servo Setup)

1) Throttle trim is basically deactivated (trim buttons do not change the throttle setting). This was done in the Fine Tuning -> Digital Trim menu. Select the throttle function, and scroll across to "- Rate+". Set both these rates to 0%. Now the digital throttle trims are disabled.
2) In Advanced Properties -> Other Model Options and scroll down to Throttle Cut. Choose your throttle kill switch (I use Sf) and set the throttle cut output value to -125%

By looking at the Receiver Output screen you can see that:
- when the throttle kill switch is activated, the receiver output for the throttle channel is -93% regardless of throttle position.
- when the throttle kill switch is deactivated and the throttle stick is in the idle position, the receiver output for throttle is -72%
- when the throttle kill switch is deactivated and the throttle stick is in the full power position, the receiver output for throttle is 74%

These settings have to be taught to the engine (Learn RC). For low trim & idle stick (shut down position), just activate the turbine kill switch. For trim up & low stick, deactivate the kill switch and put the stick in the idle position. For trim up & stick up, the kill switch should be deactivated and the stick in the full power position.

Functionally, to start the turbine, the kill switch has to be deactivated and the throttle moved to the up position. To shut down the turbine, the kill switch is activated (regardless of the throttle stick position).

Make sure to program the receiver to failsafe on throttle at -93%. Also, I added a couple of wav files to play based on the kill switch position (Advanced Properties -> Sounds on Event) that say "Kill Turbine" when the kill switch is activated and "Turbine Run" when the switch is deactivated. I also set a preflight position to make sure the kill switch is activated when starting up the transmitter (Advanced Properties -> Stick/Switches Setup)
Old 06-29-2016, 08:19 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I do pretty much the same thing except with slightly different numbers. Also, in my opinion your throttle fail-safe setting should not be the same as your engine kill setting. Doing so will prevent your ECU from detecting a fail-safe based turbine shut down. I always set my throttle fail-safe setting for turbines to be completely outside the normal pulse width range which is normally used for startup, shut down, etc. For example, shut down at 1000us, idle at 1200us, full throttle 2000us and fail-safe at 800us..
Old 06-29-2016, 11:12 AM
number27

I have posted over in Powerbox forums to try and help/identify the issue I am having and now have moved over here as they believe it is a Jeti issue. I will try and explain what is happening.
DS16 has 24 multi-channel enabled and using Mercury SRS.

When multi-channel 24 mode is enabled the UDI protcol 16 becomes unstable and when you allocate direct channels in the Mercury at times you can pnly see channels above 12 at times. Then those the channels 13,14,15 & 16 do not work. You go into the Mercury and go into programming and it will not go above UDI12, I don't know how many times I have reset and re programmed both the Mercury and the DS16.

If you disable multi-channel mode 24 all is stable and have no issues.

Cause I have more functions listed above 12 (19 functions allocated in DS16) when multi-channel is disabled I cant allocate them to any Jeti receiver. (REX7, REX12 or 9 channel all latest software updated) the functions at the receiver are all externally powered.

So with the multi-channel mode disabled you have only 16 functions possible. Powerbox say go and buy a Royal SRS. Well another 1300 AUD is not what I am prepared to spend.

It is Jeti problem not theirs. I hope I have explained enough.

I am working at getting everything down to under 16 functions and no multimode enabled to get the system to be stable. Not confident in 24 multimode and Merucry.

Any suggestions please.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:04 PM
Mark Vandervelden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi "number27"

A list of the functions your trying to achieve might let one of us to come up with a way of using just 16ch along with the PB Mercury outputs to achieve your goal.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:47 PM
number27

Elevator 1
Throttle
Elevator 2
Flaps 1
Flaps 2
Aileron 1
Aileron 2
Rudder
Gain
Flight-mode
Vector Elevator
Vector Rudder
Gear
Brakes
Nose-wheel Steering
Door (Nosewheel only)
Smoke
Nav Lights
Smoke Canisters (coloured)

19 Functions

So 15 available outputs on Mercury.

I keep all the major functions running through the Mercury. Smoke, Lights, Canisters (all externally powered) & Door on receiver. Mulit-mode enabled so I can allocate those by reconfiguring receiver channel output or REX7 or REX 12 or 9 Channel.

If multi-mode enabled it drops on more occasions than not and I loose operability of channels directly assigned in the Mercury so Direct 13, 14,15 & 16 become non operable. You go into the Mercury and it will only let you assign up to 12. So some sort of conflict there and then other times you go back into output mapping on Mercury and it will allow you to allocate.

If multi-mode is disabled then there are no problems with UDI16 and allocation rock solid. But then I don't have the option of allocation any function above 16 to the receiver.

I am going to try today when I get home and combine the elevator and flaps into one channel by using powerbox micromatch product so i can get two channels back on the mercury and then when gyro is setup i can get the gain channel back for function allocation.Thus keeping everything under UDI16.

Another issue is REX or Receiver into RX1 on Mercury, RSAT in RX 2 port and expander 4 port into telemetry of Mercury. Receivers set to alarm at any loss of receiver.

If you disconnect RX 1 from Mercury it goes into failsafe but the DS16 does not alarm out whilst expander plugged into receiver. If you uplug the RSAT it FS on Mercury and alarms at DS16.

If you unplug the expander from receiver one and unplug receiver 1 from Mercury it goes into failsafe and it alarms out at DS16.

This has been an exercise in itself over the last three weeks to get it stable and confident it putting the model (Rebel Pro) into the air.

The last alternative when I have exhausted all other avenues is to get rid of the vector from model and the smoke canisters and all will be good with mulitmode disabled and enough ports on the Mercury to function what's left.

I hope this helps somewhat or confuses the problem. Any assistance appreciated.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:33 AM
Mark Vandervelden

This is perhaps how I might try to do such a setup

Mercury using 3x2 matched = 6
outputs
1 Ch = Elevator 1 + Elevator 2
2 Ch = Aileron 1 + Aileron 2
3 Ch = Flap 1 + Flap 2

Mercury using the remaining 9 outputs
4 Ch = Throttle
5 Ch = Rudder
6 Ch = Vector Elevator
7 Ch = Vector Rudder
8 Ch = Nose-wheel Steering
9 Ch = Nose Wheel Door
10 Ch = Brakes
11 Ch = Gear
12 Ch = Nav Lights

Sat Rx outputs x 3
13 Ch = Smoke
14 Ch = Gain
15 Ch = Smoke canisters

16th Ch could be used to create elervons, flaperons or crow on ailerons.
You could free one more ch and have two of the above by using the Mercury's built in Door Sequencer.

Flight Mode is not a channel ?

Last edited by Mark Vandervelden; 06-30-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:12 AM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Vandervelden
This is perhaps how I might try to do such a setup

Mercury using 3x2 matched = 6
outputs
1 Ch = Elevator 1 + Elevator 2
2 Ch = Aileron 1 + Aileron 2
3 Ch = Flap 1 + Flap 2

Mercury using the remaining 9 outputs
4 Ch = Throttle
5 Ch = Rudder
6 Ch = Vector Elevator
7 Ch = Vector Rudder
8 Ch = Nose-wheel Steering
9 Ch = Nose Wheel Door
10 Ch = Brakes
11 Ch = Gear
12 Ch = Nav Lights

Sat Rx outputs x 3
13 Ch = Smoke
14 Ch = Gain
15 Ch = Smoke canisters

16th Ch could be used to create elervons, flaperons or crow on ailerons.
You could free one more ch and have two of the above by using the Mercury's built in Door Sequencer.

Flight Mode is not a channel ?

This list is fine and it saves you some channels by using the Powerbox's built in servo match function. BUT the flight mode definitely uses another channel and at least during the setup flights you'll need one more channel to adjust the gyro gain. But for that you could disable the smoke and use it temporarily to adjust the gain. I would also not prefer to use the servo matching function for the ailerons. Adjusting the differential is a pain and you could not use crow with that set up if you needed to.

I don't have a PB Mercury but I have several other PB boxes in my planes and never had a problem to get 16 channels working correctly. All I needed was the correct UDI16 firmware on the receivers and of course set the PB to UDI input.

Thomas
Old 06-30-2016, 10:20 AM
number27

Thanks for the possible workarounds. Will try what suggested and post back. Going into nightwork so maybe a couple of days before feedback. Tks
Old 06-30-2016, 08:49 PM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by Puttputt maru
[HR][/HR]Just rethinking my turbine set up for start up and wondering if you guys can share what you use as far as safety, switches and procedures.

I have JetCat and Behotec and soon a Kingtech turbine (turboprop). RcJets 63 shared his a while back and I am still using it, or a variance of it, for JetCat but still would like to know what differences you guys use. (Here a repost)
My setup has a Locking safety switch in the upper left hole. It kills anything I fly:

Jets: it is throttle low, trim low
Gassers, its Ignition cutoff
Electrics, its a throttle Lock at low
Glows, its a throttle full closed
Quads: its the arm

That frees up the trim to be a trim and not a kill. but it costs me a switch.. Oh, and Putt's numbers are the same as mine
Old 06-30-2016, 08:54 PM
number27

Well given up on the Mercury and Jeti DS16. The Mercury continually drops the UDI protocol from 16 to 12 for no reason whatsoever. Factory reset on both mercury and new models on jeti.

Gone.

It will stay there and wait for software updates.

Go with what I know Competition SRS and iGryo. No servo matching. Straight forward.

Tks for the help guys.

Maybe someone else will have a similar problem and they will come out with a software patch.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:27 AM
Puttputt maru

Originally Posted by gooseF22
My setup has a Locking safety switch in the upper left hole. It kills anything I fly:

Jets: it is throttle low, trim low
Gassers, its Ignition cutoff
Electrics, its a throttle Lock at low
Glows, its a throttle full closed
Quads: its the arm

That frees up the trim to be a trim and not a kill. but it costs me a switch.. Oh, and Putt's numbers are the same as mine
Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for: new ideas.

Although I use your locking switch idea just the same for my gasser and electrics, go figure why I never thought of using it for my Jets
Old 07-02-2016, 05:58 AM
number27

I have done some more troubleshooting with the Mercury and the DS16 and RSAT's and receivers.

I have rolled back to v3.24 multirotors version of UDI16 and now I can allocate in Input mapping up to 16 channels before I could only get to 12. Same in the output mapping now consistently getting Direct 16 allocation options. Then updated back to v3.25 and all goes haywire. Drop back to v3.24 and all is OK.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2048&p=9553&hilit=multirotors#p9553

Also before could not use 2 x RSAT's as could only go as far as 12 channels in input and output mapping.

I have 2 x powerbox micro-match on elevators and flaps.

1 - Throttle
2 - Aileron 1
3 - Flap
4 - Aileron 2
5 - Elevator
6 - Rudder
7 - Flightmode
8 - Gain
9 - Gear
10 - Brakes
11 - Nosewheel
12 - Smoke
13 - Lights
14 - Vector Elevator
15 - Door
16 - Vector Rudder

Smoke canisters replace Gain channel once gyro setup for correct gain.

Setup assistant used to allocate all gyro operations.

Nothing plugged into RSAT's except telemetry.

Maybe some problem between Jeti v3.25 software and Mercury software.

Thoughts?

Old 07-02-2016, 08:47 AM
bluelevel

@number27

I have never used v3.25 so I cannot confirm that this is the source of the trouble, but if you tested it back and forth, then this must be the reason. In the future I suggest you also post your questions directly in the Powerbox support forum at forum.powerbox-systems.com, usually Richard is pretty quick in answering all questions. I also doubt that PB already knows about this glitch and somewhat I understand that they cannot ensure that all new software versions work properly, if the radio manufacturer decides to change something important.

But I am glad you got it working.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:59 AM
number27

Already done that over in powerbox forums before coming over here. you can view response over there if you wish to.

Just being informative as to problems/resolutions. Moving onto to getting the model in the air now. Three weeks of trying to sort out the issues and finally something definitive to the issues I have had.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:02 AM
bluelevel

@number27

I was not trying to criticize you, I wasn't sure if you knew about the Powerbox support forum. If there is a compatibility issue with the new Jeti 3.25 software, I am pretty certain that PB will look into it and release an update to their software soon.

Thomas
Old 07-02-2016, 09:12 AM
number27

no criticism taken, maybe I came across like that. All about sharing information between like minded parties. Now I go looking for some logical switch programming for my nav lights.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:07 PM
Jeti USA

Here are few examples how the 900MHz will work in Jeti system.
The CB200 will get eventually firmware update for 3rd. Sat Port.

Zb/Jeti USA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	2171336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	2171337  
Old 07-05-2016, 03:20 PM
Mark Vandervelden

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
Here are few examples how the 900MHz will work in Jeti system.
The CB200 will get eventually firmware update for 3rd. Sat Port.

Zb/Jeti USA

Hi, thanks for the incite to the proposed use of the upcoming DS/DC 24 transmitters third module on 900MHz and its Sats setup

Looking at the pics I can see that with the R9 (and all RXs?) it will now use the Bat output/input for the second 900MHz Sat.
That good, duel path using the Rx itself + a 2.4 Sat + a 900HHz Sat for diverse frequency backup "brill"

But "as shown" the CB200 looks like one of the 2.4 Sats has simply been replaced with a 900MHz Sat?
So theres no duel path on 2.4, just 1 x 2.4 sat + 1 x 900MHZ Sat??

That I realise is still "duel path" and now with
diverse frequency but leaves the second 2.4 module on the new TXs redundant, that cant be right!

What about the CB100/400?

Look forward to your reply

PS

With third party equipment like the SRS units from Powerbox it will be up to them to update and accommodate a third Sat, but I am confidant they will :-)

Old 07-05-2016, 06:03 PM
bluelevel

Looking at the pics I can see that with the R9 (and all RXs?) it will now use the Bat output/input for the second 900MHz Sat.
Mark, I think that the drawing showing the 900Mhz Sat connected to the battery input is a mistake. I am pretty sure it will be connected to the SAT port. That still gives you dual path on 2 different bands and the option to use the second 2.4 transmitter module for student/teacher setups.

Thomas
Old 07-06-2016, 05:19 AM
wfield0455

Hi, thanks for the incite to the proposed use of the upcoming DS/DC 24 transmitters third module on 900MHz and its Sats setup

That good, duel path using the Rx itself + a 2.4 Sat + a 900HHz Sat for diverse frequency backup "brill"

But "as shown" the CB200 looks like one of the 2.4 Sats has simply been replaced with a 900MHz Sat?
So theres no duel path on 2.4, just 1 x 2.4 sat + 1 x 900MHZ Sat??

That I realise is still "duel path" and now with
diverse frequency but leaves the second 2.4 module on the new TXs redundant, that cant be right!

What about the CB100/400?

Look forward to your reply

PS

With third party equipment like the SRS units from Powerbox it will be up to them to update and accommodate a third Sat, but I am confidant they will :-)

Mark,

He also said that he expects a software update to the CB200 firmware to allow connection of a 3rd receiver which would then allow 2, 2.4Ghz and 1 900Mhz receiver. I also assume that the 900Mhz receiver should be connected to the R9's Sat port, not battery port since the battery port of the R9 is simply PCB etch to power and ground. Haven't hear anything specific about the CB100 or CB400 but if it's possible to update the firmware to allow them to support a 3rd receiver I'm sure they will.

Last edited by wfield0455; 07-06-2016 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:57 AM
JoeJr1485

When are they going to come out with a 6 channel TX so we can buddy box? I am working on setting up my DS 16 to talk to my JR12x but I feel that It looks a little junky to have all of the extra stuff needed just to buddy box (ie, extra receiver, battery hanging from the other transmitter). Just stinks a little. Keep in mind this doesn't change how I feel about Jeti or my DS b/c I am soooo pleased with them. Just one little hassle is all
Old 07-06-2016, 09:52 AM
Puttputt maru

The student/teacher connection is really a pain I agree. I was hoping the 900mHz receiver could be use as the teacher/student module thus retaining dual path.

I think they should just go back to the old days of the student/teacher "umbilical" cord. All you had to do then was not to wonder too far away from each other.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Puttputt maru

I posted this in an other forum but they are busy arguing so I figured I would ask here:

I am having problem with remote switching off my models using the RSW switch.

The problem only happens when I want to turn off the model. When I turn it on I can be pretty far from it and it will turn on every single time without a miss.

When I want to turn it off it will only do it if I am very close to the model AND not every time. If it does not turn off on the first try, I have experimented it takes me waiting for the 3 second count down for it to work sometimes only on the third try.

I thought at first that it was because of the RSW, although I have 2 models equipped the same, but now that I have a helicopter equiped with a DPS40 as my remote switch the same exact thing happens.

Any body with some ideas or has had the same problem?
Old 07-14-2016, 06:36 AM
merlin6161

Hi All,

I have an Elan set up with an R14/Rsat powered by two Jeti batteries through a PB sensor switch. This set up has worked well and I was going to use the same set up for my new Ultraflash project, but after reading though this thread it looks like the preferred set up these days is a CB200 with sats. A CB200 with 2 Rsats powered by two Jeti batteries through the PB sensor switch would be quite a neat solution. My concern is that the CB200 manual says that the CB200 must have a power supply method that is able to supply 15A continuous and 90A peak otherwise the overload protection may not work properly. To me this would mean that the PB sensor switch falls short (possibly even the Gemini and Baselog). I have read that some guys on here have used these regulators with the CB200 successfully. Is that just because they have not had a problem that would need overload protection, are not bothered or are my assumptions wrong?
I might be better off sticking with the same set up as the Elan thus eliminating the need for massive regulators but forgoing the benefits of the CB200.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:47 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by merlin6161
Hi All,

I have an Elan set up with an R14/Rsat powered by two Jeti batteries through a PB sensor switch. This set up has worked well and I was going to use the same set up for my new Ultraflash project, but after reading though this thread it looks like the preferred set up these days is a CB200 with sats. A CB200 with 2 Rsats powered by two Jeti batteries through the PB sensor switch would be quite a neat solution. My concern is that the CB200 manual says that the CB200 must have a power supply method that is able to supply 15A continuous and 90A peak otherwise the overload protection may not work properly. To me this would mean that the PB sensor switch falls short (possibly even the Gemini and Baselog). I have read that some guys on here have used these regulators with the CB200 successfully. Is that just because they have not had a problem that would need overload protection, are not bothered or are my assumptions wrong?
I might be better off sticking with the same set up as the Elan thus eliminating the need for massive regulators but forgoing the benefits of the CB200.
The CB200 is a power distribution system and unless you are building something large with lots of high powered digital servos is probably not really needed. The main reason I use a CB200 in a jet is the number of available channels, built in battery share, built in switch circuitry and telemetry for each batteries voltage, current and capacity used. If you don't feel the need for any of that stuff an R14 with a Sensor switch is fine. However, if you do decide to use a CB200 there is absolutely no reason to use a PB sensor switch with a CB200 as it has it's own built in switching circuitry. Also the sensor switch isn't capable of handing anywhere near the current that the CB200 can handle and would simply be an added expense and additional point of failure with no benefits at all. There is no reason to use massive regualtors and in fact I never use regulators. If I'm not using high voltage servos I simply use A123 batteries unregulated. If you do feel the need for regulators they don't need to be able to support anything more than the max current that you expect the model to ever draw. In something like a jet that is most likely very small compared to what the CB200 can handle. Just because the CB200 can handle huge amounts of current doesn't mean you need a power supply that can unless you actual expect to use those kinds of current. As for A123 batteries not being able to be load tested between flights, which is a concern for many, since the CB200 will tell you the cumulative capacity used from each receiver battery, there is no need to even bother to perform any load testing to know if it's safe to fly. Between the capacity used telemetry and the receiver voltage telemetry it's very easy to tell if there is the slightest hint of a problem with your receiver packs in plenty of time to land.

Last edited by wfield0455; 07-14-2016 at 06:54 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.