Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 06:41 AM
dccatl
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Just use the throttle cut and throttle idle functions assigned to your 2 position switch with one switch position assigned to throttle cut and the "run" switch position assigned to throttle idle. Whether it's a regular 2 position switch or a locking 2 position switch makes no difference. Once that is done, completely disable your throttle trim in the Digital trim menu as it's no longer needed. I have this setup on all my jets and it works perfectly.

The trim menu shows up automatically when a trim changes so if you have something that would cause a trim change on power up (sequencer ??) then that may do it. I can't think of a way to directly assign the trim menu to activate with a switch but that doesn't mean such a selection doesn't exist.
Perfect! No more trim screen on start up and throttle cut works at any throttle level, whereas using the switch with digital trim method would only shutdown the turbine if throttle was < 50 with trim @ minimum.

And Rob, I will re-learn my throttle on my turbine just to make sure everything is set properly.

Thank you Wayne.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:31 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbgetz
Hi Wayne... I had a question on what you mentioned above. On your jets when setting throttle trim to a 2-position switch, did you have to retrain the turbine ecu to recognize the switch as trim-up and trim-down?

Rob
In my case no. Since I knew what servo pulse widths my ECU had "learned" I simply set my servo travels and the values for throttle cut and throttle idle to match. As long as it outputs what the ECU expects then no need to relearn the setup. Of course if in doubt it would never hurt to repeat the process. You can use the servo monitor to see the pulse widths being sent by pressing the appropriate function keys in the servo monitor you can get it to display the output in milliseconds instead of %.

Also be sure to either set your receiver failsafe for throttle to either OFF (output no pulse) or a value well outside the learned range so your ECU will properly log shutdown cause if you should go into failsafe.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:39 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

My throttle kill and trim are set up on all of my jets on a locking switch and I guess it is somewhat annoying that the trim screen pops up when the switch is moved or even when the radio is turned on. I never used the "idle" function but will have to look into using it for this reason.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:01 PM
Jack Diaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you select "Trim" as displayed telemetry with single spacing, you will have a small trim window on the screen (I set it at the bottom right corner).
That gets rid of the annoying trim page everytime you move a trim. And gives a continuous visual indication of the trim positions.

Jack
Old 02-15-2018, 07:37 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Diaz
If you select "Trim" as displayed telemetry with single spacing, you will have a small trim window on the screen (I set it at the bottom right corner).
That gets rid of the annoying trim page everytime you move a trim. And gives a continuous visual indication of the trim positions.

Jack
Now that you mention it I have a couple planes set up that way. Haven't flown them in a while and forgot all about it. Thanks (It's hell getting old )
Old 02-16-2018, 06:43 AM
Jack Diaz

Originally Posted by causeitflies
(It's hell getting old )

Indeed, but the alternative sucks !!!

Jack
Old 02-18-2018, 03:55 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Diaz

Jack
+1
Old 02-20-2018, 05:33 PM
dccatl

Default Loss of PPM

I just finished setting up my new DS-16 with my CARF Joker. I’m using a R7 REX and R3/RSW in Dual Path Mode and a Cortex Pro with Ex-Bus. During the course of setting everything up I’ve received a few Loss of PPM alarms (Alarm S) while everything was still connected. Antenna signal stays at Signal 9/Q 100 on all 4 antennas and I have control of all servos. The alarm will not clear until the plane is turned off. I've tried different cables between the R3 and REX7 and received these spurious alarms on either cable set.

I have everything connected as follows:
REX7:
1) Flap 1
2) Flap2
3) Throttle
4) Brakes
5) Gear
6) Ex Bus —> Cortex PRO
7) PPM Input REX7 Pin 7
4/EX) Xicoy Flight Computer Telemetry

Cortex Pro:
A) Power
B) EX Bus
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Screen003.bmp (9.4 KB, 1230 views)
Screen004.bmp (9.4 KB, 1236 views)
Screen005.bmp (9.4 KB, 1227 views)
Screen006.bmp (9.4 KB, 1237 views)
Screen007.bmp (9.4 KB, 1218 views)
Screen000.bmp (9.4 KB, 1235 views)
Screen001.bmp (9.4 KB, 1227 views)
Screen002.bmp (9.4 KB, 1211 views)
Old 02-21-2018, 07:05 AM
gooseF22

Change the R3 output period to 17ms. also I dont use Auto for anything.. I use 17 as my standard go to speed.

When the R3 is talking to the Rex, it has to find the 2ms null to reset the frame, and it varies.. so I take that out of the loop and give it the constant stream.

Also for the Rex7, I personally dont use auto for the servos. pick any speed.. slower than your servos

IMHO...d

Last edited by gooseF22; 02-21-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:31 AM
dccatl

Originally Posted by gooseF22
Change the R3 output period to 17ms. also I dont use Auto for anything.. I use 17 as my standard go to speed.

When the R3 is talking to the Rex, it has to find the 2ms null to reset the frame, and it varies.. so I take that out of the loop and give it the constant stream.

Also for the Rex7, I personally dont use auto for the servos. pick any speed.. slower than your servos

IMHO...d
Thanks Goose I'll change to 17ms
Old 02-21-2018, 01:07 PM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by gooseF22

IMHO...d
Did you notice that he had PPM channels set to 16 ? If he's not using 16 channel that should be reduced to what is actually being used and for more than 8 channels 17ms is no where near long enough. Should be something like (2ms * # channels) + 4ms according to Jeti. So if he was actually using 12 channels he should be setting 28ms for the output period on the R3 and the R7 since it's outputting EX Bus to a Cortex Pro should be fine.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:14 PM
gooseF22

Did you notice that he had PPM channels set to 16 ? If he's not using 16 channel that should be reduced to what is actually being used and for more than 8 channels 17ms is no where near long enough. Should be something like (2ms * # channels) + 4ms according to Jeti. So if he was actually using 12 channels he should be setting 28ms for the output period on the R3 and the R7 since it's outputting EX Bus to a Cortex Pro should be fine.
I missed that.. Do what Wayne says here
Old 02-22-2018, 03:39 PM
dccatl

Thank you both. I have set PPM Channels to 13 (which I'm using) and output period on the R3 to 30 mSec (2 mSec*13 channels + 4 mSec). No more spurious Loss of PPM (S Alarm).

David
Old 02-23-2018, 07:55 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by dccatl
Thank you both. I have set PPM Channels to 13 (which I'm using) and output period on the R3 to 30 mSec (2 mSec*13 channels + 4 mSec). No more spurious Loss of PPM (S Alarm).

David
While it appears from your reply you did the correct thing and only set the secondary R3 to 30 ms, I missed a the word Auto by accident in my original reply and that made it appear I was saying you need to set 30ms on both the R3 and R7. I really meant to say AUTO on the R7 should be fine since it's outputting EX Bus to the Cortex Pro.

Just to clarify things; On the Primary receiver I set the output period to match the frame rate needed by the servos, or Auto for EX Bus output. On the secondary receiver which outputs the PPM link, I to set the output period based on the number of channels being sent over the PPM link. Sorry for any confusion.

Also, when I re-read my original reply I felt it may seem I was being critical of Goose's reply and I didn't intend to be. He knows about Jeti stuff as anyone and I believe he may have been the one that originally told me this info about setting up a PPM link when I first started using Jeti a few years ago. Since I was sure he was aware of this info I figured he must have missed the number of channels involved which is why I wrote what I did. When you write things quickly they sometimes can be interpreted very differently than originally intended.

Last edited by wfield0455; 02-23-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:07 AM
dccatl

While it appears from your reply you did the correct thing and only set the secondary R3 to 30 ms, I missed a the word Auto by accident in my reply and that made it appear I was saying you need to set 30ms on both the R3 and R7. I really meant to say AUTO on the R7 should be fine since it's outputting EX Bus to the Cortex Pro.

Just to clarify things; On the Primary receiver I set the output period to match the frame rate needed by the servos, or Auto for EX Bus output. On the secondary receiver which outputs the PPM link, I to set the output period based on the number of channels being sent over the PPM link. Sorry for any confusion.
Thanks for following up. I did as you surmised and only set the R3 to 30 ms and the R7 is set to Auto. Everything seems to be working perfectly now.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:22 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Started playing with 3d printer...
Mount for CB200 https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2804701
Mount for R3/RSW https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2804708

Will keep playing with this stuff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3210.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2255721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3214.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2255722  
Old 02-23-2018, 11:32 PM
Erik van Dijen

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
Started playing with 3d printer...
Mount for CB200 https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2804701
Mount for R3/RSW https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2804708

Will keep playing with this stuff
Very nice!!!!

Erik.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:21 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Really Nice, I haven't had time to start designing anything for mine....Thank you for sharing
Old 02-24-2018, 05:01 AM
wfield0455

Edgar and Daniel,

What are you using (or planning to use) for design software ? IF you aren't already too deep into any specific software try Autodesk Fusion 360. I've been using if for 2 or 3 years now and since it has integrated CAD I can not only design parts for my 3D printer but also generate files for my CNC router and the CNC Mill I'm considering getting. It's very well supported and best of all, for hobby use it's free. There are TONS of YouTube videos on Fusion 3D to help making it easy to learn instead of having to figure it out 1 feature at a time as I did when I started a few years ago. It's well worth looking into.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:37 AM
Dansy

Hi Wayne, I'm using (already installed) or will be using Fusion 360 as well. I try designing some stuff....but come to the conclusion that either CAD drawing has change a lot since the last time I used that or that I forgot a lot....and since my focus this winter is too put together 7 airplanes (6 jets, one Hotliners) I realized that I would have to spend way too much of my time to relearn that stuff....so once they are done (almost there) I will relearn that CAD thing, tons of stuff I like to make for the planes, the RV and the house
Old 02-24-2018, 05:59 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by Dansy
Hi Wayne, I'm using (already installed) or will be using Fusion 360 as well. I try designing some stuff....but come to the conclusion that either CAD drawing has change a lot since the last time I used that or that I forgot a lot....and since my focus this winter is too put together 7 airplanes (6 jets, one Hotliners) I realized that I would have to spend way too much of my time to relearn that stuff....so once they are done (almost there) I will relearn that CAD thing, tons of stuff I like to make for the planes, the RV and the house
When you get ready to start up again, take a look at Lars Christensen's YouTube videos. He's a marketing guy at Autodesk and has done a TON of Fusion 360 videos from very basic beginner stuff to best practices and highly detailed videos on specific features. His videos are usually easy to follow and he explains things pretty well.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:18 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Edgar and Daniel,

What are you using (or planning to use) for design software ? IF you aren't already too deep into any specific software try Autodesk Fusion 360. I've been using if for 2 or 3 years now and since it has integrated CAD I can not only design parts for my 3D printer but also generate files for my CNC router and the CNC Mill I'm considering getting. It's very well supported and best of all, for hobby use it's free. There are TONS of YouTube videos on Fusion 3D to help making it easy to learn instead of having to figure it out 1 feature at a time as I did when I started a few years ago. It's well worth looking into.
Fusion 360 for me. There is a guy in youtube who does an awesome job of explaining it. (search for Lars Christensen)
Old 02-24-2018, 10:49 AM
Dansy

I have seen his video's Thank's
Old 03-06-2018, 05:44 AM
dccatl

David
I may have spoke too soon. I flew my Joker with my new DS-16 for the first time this past weekend with the above receiver settings. First flight was perfect, no trim required in any flight mode. However, on the 2nd flight I received another Morse code "S" alarm (Loss of PPM on the REX 7) about 1-2 minutes in so I landed the plane. I had control the whole flight and reviewing the logs after the flight indicated no problems with any of the 4 antenna signals nor any abnormally low Q values. The alarm would not stay cleared after pressing CLR for the entire flight, which was a bit unsettling. Since all then antenna signals and Q values seemed good I disabled the Morse code S alarm for the rest of the weekend (9 more flights) - this really doesn't sit right with me so I've re-enabled it and want to try to work through the problem to see if I can find a solution.

First question: Is there any way to log the PPM stream presence via telemetry? Even being able to see the Morse Code alarms in the Data Analyzer would help (I could not find any of them even though the log is set to record alarms).
Second: Is the S alarm supposed to clear when the PPM signal is re-gained or will the receivers not "link up" again until powered cycled (i.e. did I really not have a PPM connection from the point of the first alarm until I landed)?
Third: Could the length of the PPM cable cause an issue, due to EMI? Mine is about 10" long and runs fairly close to the Rx battery leads and the EX-Bus telemetry input into the R3. The cable is normal flat ribbon servo cable (22 gauge), I was considering changing it to twisted cable and maybe even wrapping it with a foil shield and grounding the shield.

Does anyone else have any thoughts as to what could be causing this alarm.

Follow on question: With this setup (REX 7 and R3 Satellite) can I configure the REX7 to use EX Bus from the R3 instead of PPM?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by dccatl; 03-06-2018 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Follow on question.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:47 AM
wfield0455

I may have spoke too soon. I flew my Joker with my new DS-16 for the first time this past weekend with the above receiver settings. First flight was perfect, no trim required in any flight mode. However, on the 2nd flight I received another Morse code "S" alarm (Loss of PPM on the REX 7) about 1-2 minutes in so I landed the plane. I had control the whole flight and reviewing the logs after the flight indicated no problems with any of the 4 antenna signals nor any abnormally low Q values. The alarm would not stay cleared after pressing CLR for the entire flight, which was a bit unsettling. Since all then antenna signals and Q values seemed good I disabled the Morse code S alarm for the rest of the weekend (9 more flights) - this really doesn't sit right with me so I've re-enabled it and want to try to work through the problem to see if I can find a solution.

First question: Is there any way to log the PPM stream presence via telemetry? Even being able to see the Morse Code alarms in the Data Analyzer would help (I could not find any of them even though the log is set to record alarms).
Second: Is the S alarm supposed to clear when the PPM signal is re-gained or will the receivers not "link up" again until powered cycled (i.e. did I really not have a PPM connection from the point of the first alarm until I landed)?
Third: Could the length of the PPM cable cause an issue, due to EMI? Mine is about 10" long and runs fairly close to the Rx battery leads and the EX-Bus telemetry input into the R3. The cable is normal flat ribbon servo cable (22 gauge), I was considering changing it to twisted cable and maybe even wrapping it with a foil shield and grounding the shield.

Does anyone else have any thoughts as to what could be causing this alarm.

Thanks,
David
David, Have you verified that your secondary receiver, connected via PPM is actually working correctly by disabling the primary RF section and verifying that your servos still operate properly ? It's really easy to get something wrong here and the only way to be sure ti's working properly is to go into the Advanced, Wireless Setting menu and use F1 (antenna icon) to get into the menu that allows you to disable each transmitter RF section independently. If you disable the primary RF section and everything still works you SHOULD be good to go.IF you disable the secondary RF section you should get Morse code S. Still, since I select Alarm at Loss of any receiver, I usually disable the Morse code alarms. Also,you may want to try replacing the male to male cable between the receivers as if you have a loose fitting pin or an internal break in the cable which would also cause these types of problems. I know a bad cable seems really unlikely but stranger things have happened and I've even had a receiver that refused to bind which turned out to be caused by a bad bind plug.

Also, with a REX 7, did you actually go through all the gyrations with a Jetibox to enable morse code Alarm S ? I thought by default the REX receivers had this disabled but I may be wrong about that but I seem to recall having to jump through all sorts of hoops with a Jetibox to enable Morse Code S on the proper input.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.