Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 12:41 AM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks’ LA jetguy. I’ll start with that.

Cheers!
Old 07-11-2014, 01:54 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gear cycling problem.

Hi guys, been watching this thread for some time now, thanks to all of you for the invaluable info you have provided. I've had my DS16 for some time now with no problems, it's restored my confidence after some bad times with a DX18!
However I need to ask if you can throw any light on a new issue I have. F86 with Powerbox Comp SRS running two Rsats. Latest software in Tx, Rx's and V19 in Powerbox. I'm using udi protocol as per new Powerbox software update.
Straight swap from DX18 setup to Jeti. Everything fine except that my gear retracts on power up with the doors closed. Cycling the switch up to down deploys gear and doors and from then on everything cycles fine in the correct sequence.
When I power down and switch back on the problem re-occurs.
I'm using a Jetronic sequencer with two Jetronic air valves.
Everything worked fine on the old radio so I figure that the seq/valves set up is ok and I sure hope so because the stuff is well buried due to the air intake taking up most of the room in the fuse.
I'm loath to mess with the sequencer which is accessable as it works fine after cycling the tx switch.
I'm assuming that I have something wrong with the programming that I have missed, I have reset the failsafe which is done via the Powerbox and does drop the gear on Tx switch off.
Any advice would be appreciated otherwise we are talking broken gear doors!
Thanks,
Gary.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:25 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jannica
Thanks’ LA jetguy. I’ll start with that.

Cheers!
Good morning Jannica.

It depends on how you want to cut the turbine.. I placed a locking switch in the upper left corner of the transmitter.. so I don't even use the trim..

On that switch, is where I placed the throttle cut function..

On the Xicoy, you can put the throttle cut at -100% (advanced options)
and on the throttle use plus or minus 80% ATV..
Then if you want place a voice on the switch..

If you do the switch this way, it will kill the turbine no matter where the throttle is.. It also acts as a throttle lock if used in an electric setup..

A second way is to use the throttle trim function.. set at 25% like LA Jet says.. and set the step to 100% that will make it three clicks to kill..

I chose the switch method on this transmitter because I wanted to use the slider for smoke.. and because the slider is much easier to accidentally touch during flight on the DS.. I found the locking switch extremely quick and easy to shut down.. much faster than the trim buttons..

Jim uses a switch also on the DC16.. he uses the right one down by the trim buttons because his hand never goes over there.. we both use the cross trim function.

this way my right hand never leaves the stick except to select high rate aileron/rudder, or to kill the gyro(aux2)

Now that said, we also added MUI30's to our fuel pumps (non xicoy), so we could tie a flame out warning to the throttle cut. With the Xicoy, get the gaspar module, and you can set an alarm based on any of the parameters it provides to give you a flameout warning.. enable it with the kill switch, such that its enabled only when the throttle cut is off.

Guys, every pilot flying turbines with Jeti should be using either a turbine module or an MUI30 on the fuel pump or turbine pack.. Having flown with them on my jets, I will never go back to flying one without it.. Having the system monitoring my fuel flow is invaluable, and knowing my fuel level exactly, and has saved jets.. when its noisy, you will hear the sound file if done right " flame out....flameout..flameout.. " is my sound file, set not to repeat.. and you get a current flag banner too..

Hope that helps..

Last edited by gooseF22; 07-11-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:43 AM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by madmodelman
Hi guys, been watching this thread for some time now, thanks to all of you for the invaluable info you have provided. I've had my DS16 for some time now with no problems, it's restored my confidence after some bad times with a DX18!
However I need to ask if you can throw any light on a new issue I have. F86 with Powerbox Comp SRS running two Rsats. Latest software in Tx, Rx's and V19 in Powerbox. I'm using udi protocol as per new Powerbox software update.
Straight swap from DX18 setup to Jeti. Everything fine except that my gear retracts on power up with the doors closed. Cycling the switch up to down deploys gear and doors and from then on everything cycles fine in the correct sequence.
When I power down and switch back on the problem re-occurs.
I'm using a Jetronic sequencer with two Jetronic air valves.
Everything worked fine on the old radio so I figure that the seq/valves set up is ok and I sure hope so because the stuff is well buried due to the air intake taking up most of the room in the fuse.
I'm loath to mess with the sequencer which is accessable as it works fine after cycling the tx switch.
I'm assuming that I have something wrong with the programming that I have missed, I have reset the failsafe which is done via the Powerbox and does drop the gear on Tx switch off.
Any advice would be appreciated otherwise we are talking broken gear doors!
Thanks,
Gary.
Gary
I don't know much about PB systems, but..

Pull the RSATS out of the Box, and turn the jet on... If the gears cycle then, then its a power on presetting in the PB.. IF it doesn't, then we can focus in on the DS..

Then plug back in the RSATs, and power up with the transmitter off.. what happens then?

we have had a couple issues like this with nose gear steering and gear "bumping" when power is on.. I will have to get Jim's take on it..

we will have to mess with the sequencer likely if its the radio

Last edited by gooseF22; 07-11-2014 at 04:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:01 AM
gooseF22

Yesterday, we had training day at the field.. several new pilots with their beginner foamies. I got really frustrated with all the "training systems" and the lack of ability of them to work properly.. we messed around with the buddy boxes and finally got some of them working, but then being new, several guys had something else to fix.. all part of the learning process but frustrating no doubt..

So.. I pulled out my Giant World Senior Kadet with a 6S5000, a 50 out runner, and a Cortex gyro and 4 batt packs.. Set up the DS16 buddy box in two min, and we played pass the student transmitter for a couple hours.. I just stood behind the guys and I think they had fun flying a "big plane".. I just love having the MUI50 on that plane.. no doubt on the battery pack condition.. It adds the confidence to run it down right to the desired level..Then just walked over to the élan, switched models, fired it up and flew.. they all got to see the data link and profi and listen to it talk and tell me everything thats going on and see a jet fly with Jeti.

Its also kinda fun to see a giant trainer that will hover.. can't ever have enough power..

It sure makes it easy with this system. Even the diehard guys were checking out the system.. including the LHS employees..

Last edited by gooseF22; 07-11-2014 at 05:08 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:21 AM
madmodelman

Thanks Goose I'll try that, also speaking to Powerbox, they have just bought a new update out. They admit it's a struggle to keep up with Jeti as they are moving so fast!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:47 AM
Puttputt maru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madmodelman
speaking to Powerbox, they have just bought a new update out. They admit it's a struggle to keep up with Jeti as they are moving so fast!
One of the reason I try to stay Jeti all the way with my set up. Granted some might have an edge (not sure which but none the less) over Jeti but convenience of full functionality the easy way is top in my book.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:53 AM
madmodelman

Agreed!

P/box updated, no change.

With sats unplugged problem goes away.

With sats in & powered up with Tx off problem goes away so looks like its caused by my programming!

Last edited by madmodelman; 07-11-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Pepperpete

Goose not sure if you remember but awhile back I asked about flight modes and how to have individual Gyro gains assigned for the flight modes such as "Takeoff" "Flight" and "Landing". You recommended that I find out via flying the plane what those max numbers would be in each circumstance before I start messing around. Well I've now done that and know each Gain for each flight condition. Can you please (as simple as possible for the slightly more brain dead) describe how I go about assigning the flight modes and gyro gain for those modes. Thanks so much!
Old 07-11-2014, 06:24 PM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by Pepperpete
Goose not sure if you remember but awhile back I asked about flight modes and how to have individual Gyro gains assigned for the flight modes such as "Takeoff" "Flight" and "Landing". You recommended that I find out via flying the plane what those max numbers would be in each circumstance before I start messing around. Well I've now done that and know each Gain for each flight condition. Can you please (as simple as possible for the slightly more brain dead) describe how I go about assigning the flight modes and gyro gain for those modes. Thanks so much!

good work..

Make sure you have Gyro 1 set up in the model setup
Lets say your flap switch is also your flight mode switch Sd for example, and that you have 3 flight modes set up with separate trims for each.
So lets say your gains are 40, 50, 60 for fly, T/o and Land
Lets assume you are using a stock cortex
Go into the Model/ function assignment menu and disable whatever switch you have to control the gyro function

Go to the gyro menu
Far right side - Assign the Gyro modes to flight modes instead of Global,

Then select each flight mode and put -40 in the left column for Gain for flight mode, -50 for TO, and -60 for land mode. It won't change POS but the number will change..
The darkened number in parathenses is the actual value..

Go into the actual servo output page and check your gain channel to make sure it moves with the flight mode switch and confirm the cortex lights go yellow.

Its really that simple,

Note to all: Guys, if you are using the Flight mode and flaps on the same switch as described, the gyro system will control the function.. you do not need to load a control function switch in function menu.. The gyro will follow the flight modes and load the value you put in there for each switch position.. You need to dump the past transmitters logic.. this is direct logic.. The position number won't change, but the transmitter knows you want different values for each flight mode..

If you want an emergency Kill gain, then take another switch and set up a free mix..... Gyro to Gyro at (Minus) -100%, and when you flip that switch, it will zero the gain.. thats for emergency use only.. test it by flipping the switch and cortex light should go red no matter what gain it has

Finally, those with Mspeeds, read back a few pages, and you can reduce the gain with increase in speed by using the tuning function in gyro menu
good luck

Last edited by gooseF22; 07-11-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:09 PM
gooseF22

Referencing flight modes, expo/throw, and gyros..

If you want to go to the next level, you can select Expo/throws into the flight modes as well, and can set up different throws for each flight mode with a high and low/expo..

It could be valuable if you want more throw during takeoff and landing but less during cruise, but dont want to switch the rates..

I set my élan to high rates for takeoff.. I get lots of rudder, but with lots of expo, and then when I switch to flight mode, I get medium rudder throws with low expo..

Its the next level, but it certainly takes remembering you have expo settings for each flight mode to change, and you have to remember which flight mode you are in when you need to change something..which can get complicated..

Another use of it might be with a Canarded aircraft or Hi Alpha mode.. Switching to the High Alpha mode gives you mega throw/expo, and enables the Canard throw and vectored thrust etc..... and different gains.. allows fine tuning without affecting your original fly mode..

I plan to use that on my upcoming project..
Old 07-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Pepperpete

Thanks so much Goose. I will give all of this a go tonight.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:26 AM
gooseF22

Mad
Its either in the programming or a quirk of linking up.. when the receiver sees nothing it doesn't drive anything either. but sometimes when it links up, we get momentary bounces..

Try swapping the Gear to a different channel or swapping with something, then reassign the channels, and redo the the throws..
If that doesn't work
Then mix a full time gear to gear mix with 100%, and on all the time
IF that doesn't work then tie the mix to the gear switch too..

If that doesn't work, will have to go to the programmer.. show us your throws and function setup with screen shots
Old 07-12-2014, 11:57 PM
madmodelman

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try, I had this issue in the past which was caused by early PB software but they cured that by update stopping gear channel defaulting to neutral on power up!
Gary.
ps. I have the exact same set up on other jets with no issues.

Last edited by madmodelman; 07-13-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:42 AM
madmodelman

Ok Goose, so as not to waste your time I have just tried the obvious thing doh!
Plugged a servo direct to the gear output channel on the Powerbox and it works fine, If the gear is out on power up the servo goes straight there, vice versa on the gear up position.
So, I have a programming problem either on the Sequencer or valve I suspect.
Many thanks for your help and sorry to waste your brainpower!,
Regards,
Gary.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:44 AM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank you for taking the time and for your advice GooseF22. I will try the killswitch method as soon as I´m back in my workshop. I´ll let you know how it works out.

Jannica
Old 07-14-2014, 05:58 PM
luckde

New Jeti DS16 owner, love the platform, but still trying learning the system. Has anyone had trouble uodating the central box 200? I have updated xmitter, and rcvs, but have struggled with the central box.

Thanks in advance, i know its a bit off topic.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:01 PM
mort78
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by luckde
New Jeti DS16 owner, love the platform, but still trying learning the system. Has anyone had trouble uodating the central box 200? I have updated xmitter, and rcvs, but have struggled with the central box.

Thanks in advance, i know its a bit off topic.

Hi Luckde,
Welcome to the Jeti clan.
When updating the CB200, remember that you need to supply power to it, otherwise it won't work. So plug a battery in, via the MPX connector and you'll be fine.
Cheers,
Morten
Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 PM
Mi-25

It's really a matter of personal choice. I don't have a problem with the trims - it's a matter of getting used to them - most of us don't like change!
if the lateral balance and CG are correct only minor adjustments should be required.

QUOTE=HarryC;11648664]I went to a shop to try the Jeti a year ago, thinking I would buy one. Within a few seconds of holding it I put it down and walked away. The design of the trims buttons is, imo, useless. Some people are ok with them, some are not, so you really ought to go to a shop and try it for yourself before committing to buy. If you are ok with them then that is fine, but you wouldn’t want to mail order it and then discover they don’t work for you. Even Jeti retailers acknowledge the design is a real problem and Ilja Grum has come up with an after-market add-on to make the trims more useable.
http://www.grumania.com/xtcommerce/Radio/battery/JETI-products/JETI-transmitters/SILVER-EDITION-G-TRIM::624.html

What is the problem? It’s not the location or the concept, I am used to the Multiplex Royal trims which the Jeti copies, but the Mpx buttons are each shaped differently so when your thumb lands on them it knows which button it is touching. The Jeti buttons are identical to one another so your thumb does not know which of the four it is pressing. You have to spend time moving your thumb around to find the middle gap between the 4 buttons so you know where your thumb is, and then you can move it to the button you want to press.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Puttputt maru

Use the auto trim, such a neat little idea, you will love it and you won't use the trim button anymore
Old 07-15-2014, 12:25 AM
Walo

Originally Posted by Puttputt maru
Use the auto trim, such a neat little idea, you will love it and you won't use the trim button anymore
...then try flying indoor with autotrim

No, the trim Buttons are definitively a negative point, also the timers. You have a bunch of useless timers built in and not one of it is variable.

Regards, Walter
Old 07-15-2014, 06:32 AM
Snowflake6515

I use autotrim indoors as well as outdoors; sorry, not understanding your point. I had the Grumania trim knobs installed and used them for a few months, but removed them when flying in Winter with the Hacker Tx Glove; kept hitting the Grumania trim levers as I quickly inserted my hands into the glove.

Autotrim meets my needs, simple to use, intuitive, ...

Michael
Originally Posted by Walo
...then try flying indoor with autotrim

No, the trim Buttons are definitively a negative point, also the timers. You have a bunch of useless timers built in and not one of it is variable.

Regards, Walter
Old 07-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Puttputt maru

Originally Posted by Snowflake6515
I use autotrim indoors as well as outdoors; sorry, not understanding your point. I had the Grumania trim knobs installed and used them for a few months, but removed them when flying in Winter with the Hacker Tx Glove; kept hitting the Grumania trim levers as I quickly inserted my hands into the glove.

Autotrim meets my needs, simple to use, intuitive, ...

Michael
+1 Please explain how autotrim becomes a nuisance when used indoors
Old 07-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Puttputt maru

I had not noticed this before, but it became obvious on one of my plane when I heard a balsa painful sound emanating from one of my wings.

Because of the way the aileron differentia works, unless I am doing it wrong, the down throw can be reduced but it also, at the same time, increases the upthrow of the opposite aileron. This makes one of my planes having the upthrow move beyond what is mechanically safe for the integrity of my wing.

Is there a way to only get the down throw to be reduced without the upthrow of the opposite aileron be affected?
Old 07-15-2014, 11:02 PM
DAMBUSTER

Forget using "differential",adjust "servo travel" so that the down going aileron moves less than the up going,just make sure both ailerons travel the same amount,up and down. Also in the same screen adjust "total travel" so that whatever extremes the controls are at ( in total i.e. crow and full aileron ) the servo or surface does not bottom out.
This is the method I and most pattern fliers use.
Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.