Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:04 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Jim, that does seem to be a worthwhile thing to have, and I might well be tempted. I am a bit unsure of the setup you suggest. How does the MUI measure both battery voltage before the ECU and pump current on the output of the ECU? I see it has two inputs for voltage, plus in and out terminals for the current, I take it from your suggestion that the MUI is not bothered by the current being taken from what is in effect a different circuit from the voltage? Can you easily zero the current capacity used at the point of disconnecting the taxi tank?
H.

Originally Posted by rcjets_63
I wanted to address this statement separately. It sounds like your F-86 is a pretty nice plane but you say that you don't need any telemetry sensors. I would recommend using a sensor on your turbine. The MUI-30 sensor installed on the positive wire leading to the fuel pump and connected to the ECU battery will give you:
- ECU battery voltage monitoring
- Capacity used by fuel pump - this is equivalent to amount of fuel used. In other words, it's a gauge of how much fuel you have left on board.
- Flameout detection (if fuel pump amperage goes to less than 0.1A). This will give you an immediate alarm notifying you that your engine has stopped. If you ever fly when there are other jets in the air or if you are flying the downwind leg or far away, you might not hear your engine flaming out, Having the sensor may save precious seconds, altitude, and airspeed that makes the difference between a sucessful dead-stick landing and bringing the wreck back home in a garbage bag.

All that for $38. How could you not need this sensor?

Regards,

Jim
Old 10-01-2014, 08:09 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by F106A
Using a 18 ch Rx does not give you 3 extra channels vs the CB 200.
One of the "extra" channels, 17 or 18 has to be used as an input from the sat Rx, in my case port 18.
I posted on the "other" forum how I can use port 17 for one of the rudders (it's a P-38) and I was told it's a 16 channel radio, not an 18 channel radio.
I was told when I bought it that it's a 16 function radio and several servo's can be combined to make up a function, but there seems to be no way to map port 17.
That being said, there doesn't seem to any reason not to use the CB 200 over the 18 ch Rx, other than cost.
Jon
On your P-38 you can assign the second rudder to slot 17 or 18 on the R18 RX. This is essentially like using a Y-harness but will provide better power since you are using two slots. In older versions of the RX firmware it was possible to mix a function in the RX and have independent servo subtrim and end point adjustment on the servo outputs. This went away to make room for the features the current firmware provides.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:58 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by merlin6161
I have a question for the Cortex experts.

When learning to fly jets I was told to apply and hold up elevator at the start of the takeoff run, so when the jet reached a speed that the elevator becomes effective the plane does a nice rotation and lifts into the air rather than being yanked off the ground with a clumsy input of elevator later on. Because the elevator input is applied before the plane reaches an effective speed there is no pitch change right away only later on, so when there is a pitch change the elevator input does not coincide with it. The question is, will the Cortex see that as an uncommanded pitch change and apply down elevator to compensate?

Thanks.
no

it sees your commands.. no worries.. start out using a little pitch, and lower your expo a little bit.. I am able to do the most awesome prettiest scale takeoffs with the cortex..smmoooooooth..

when it does rotate, and you let off the stick, it will stop the rotation RIGHT NOW.. and freeze it using stick priority.. so again it allows me to take off with 1/3 aft stick or so, and freeze it when it rotates, and let it fly off scale.. enjoy

Last edited by gooseF22; 10-02-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:05 PM
gooseF22

This question came in from one of our "future" customers.. sharp guy, and he asks a great question..

"Can you please help me to understand from a overall reliability standpoint the real difference in how the DSMX with the power safe RX compares with the DS16 and its offerings? Please keep it in laymen's terms and if you can make it simple.. I appreciate your help here as I too am considering the DS16.."

I posted this because I would like others to answer his question in your own words.. those that came over from HH DSMX.. Keep it simple.. Focus on the CB200/R3 setup, as its comparable..

There is tons of technical info back in this thread, so he can go back and read that.. so keep it user friendly.. I hope everyone enjoyed their summer of flying with the radio.. I certainly did..

goose
Old 10-03-2014, 04:30 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gooseF22
This question came in from one of our "future" customers.. sharp guy, and he asks a great question..

"Can you please help me to understand from a overall reliability standpoint the real difference in how the DSMX with the power safe RX compares with the DS16 and its offerings? Please keep it in laymen's terms and if you can make it simple.. I appreciate your help here as I too am considering the DS16.."

I posted this because I would like others to answer his question in your own words.. those that came over from HH DSMX.. Keep it simple.. Focus on the CB200/R3 setup, as its comparable..

There is tons of technical info back in this thread, so he can go back and read that.. so keep it user friendly.. I hope everyone enjoyed their summer of flying with the radio.. I certainly did..

goose
I'll take a crack at answering as I came from and still own Spektrum equipment in addition to my DS16 which is now my primary transmitter. First of all, I didn't
switch to Jeti because I had any major problems or lost an airplane. I never had any issues with my Spektrum equipment in the air and always felt I had a solid link. One of the things that I
liked best about the Spektrum equipment was their power safe receivers. Since I almost exclusively fly airplanes or jets that would be considered giant scale, I used power safe receivers in most
everything. When I switched to Jeti I replaced the power safe in each of my airplanes with a central box 200. I has the same dual, heavy duty battery inputs as the power safe
but offers a higher channel count, at full resolution, current limiting on each servo port, which I don't personally use but it's nice to have the option, and the telemetry. While
Spektrum was a leader in adding telemetry to our radio control equipment, Jeti has fully integrated it into the central box and taken it to another level. The central box monitors
voltage at each receiver plus directly at each receiver battery plus monitors current draw of the system and battery capacity used. Since I fly mainly A123 batteries, which are best monitored
by knowing the capacity used during each flight rather than a simple voltage check between flights, I really like to be able to monitor the capacity used for each battery directly from the transmitter.
I also like not needing to buy additional telemetry transmitters as unlike Spektrum, telemetry isn't an add on, it's fully integrated into the system. I always considered
Spektrums AirWare to be quite good and while it took a bit of getting used to, Jeti's software adds a number of features that I've never had before that have made the setup and trimming of
giant scale airplanes simpler than ever. I recently helped a friend setup a high channel count, highly complex airplane on his DX18 and we got it done but as I was helping him,I kept thinking, this would be so much easier on my DS16. While I think Spektrum is a well thought out system, the main reason I switched was that I felt that Spektrum offered the best product they could to meet a price point. I feel Jeti set a goal to make the best product they possibly could, period. I have lots of money tied up in my models and that was what I wanted, the best I could get. I feel Jeti best fits my needs in that regard.

Last edited by wfield0455; 10-03-2014 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Delta Mike
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the real advantage from the RF link standpoint.. Is the Jetti DS16 a more robust link then the DSMX if the noise floor is raised?

DM
Old 10-03-2014, 08:49 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by Delta Mike
What is the real advantage from the RF link standpoint.. Is the Jetti DS16 a more robust link then the DSMX if the noise floor is raised?

DM
That is probably a highly debatable subject but I think the simple answer is that both appear to work perfectly reliably in the terrible RF environments that exist at large events such as Joe Nall. Prior to DSMX, Spektrum definitely had some issues at such events but since DSMX was introduced, those issues seem to have completely disappeared.

Last edited by wfield0455; 10-03-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:11 PM
roystonflyer

Hi
Does anyone know how to make the 12th channel work on the Rx12. it says sat/12 so it must come as standard for the satellite and not as a channel.

Help
Old 10-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Jeti USA

Simply, power up your receiver go to Device Explorer in the Radio, go to receiver and change channel assignment.

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 10-04-2014, 02:42 PM
roystonflyer

Hi.. thanks for the help, but this is all i get and cant do anything with it. Im ment to change the 12 channel from a stat to the 12th channel.. cant seem to work it out
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (12).JPG
Views:	678
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	2037191  
Old 10-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Jeti USA

Update Rx Software:
http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-firmware-updates.aspx
Old 10-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Jeti USA

Originally Posted by roystonflyer
Hi.. thanks for the help, but this is all i get and cant do anything with it. Im ment to change the 12 channel from a stat to the 12th channel.. cant seem to work it out

You can take screenshot, and upload it to the forum, no camera is needed.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:47 AM
oconcj
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Wayne
I couldn't agree with you more. You said my thoughts exactly. I'm switching from JR/Spectrum to Jeti for the same reason. Did not have any issues with JR, but wanted something that was better for my giant scale. I have had my Jeti for the summer , but have been to busy finishing planes that I have not used my new radio yet. Being in Minnesota the flying season goes by quickly, so my winter project along with building will be switching my planes over to Jeti and having the winter to really learn the system and be ready for spring. Just had to comment, because your statement was very accurate.

Thanks
Chris
Old 10-12-2014, 08:21 AM
roystonflyer

Thanks for the info... down loaded all my rx's now.. all working perfectly
Old 10-13-2014, 08:15 AM
Jeti USA

Once you start using Jeti there is just no way back. I sold all my Jr9503, Multiplex Royal Evo, Futaba gear because all other systems seem so "old" style.
I have been fighting JR9503 for long time, I hated they setup. That was one of the reasons I went with Spektrum Module and Multiplex Royal Evo 12 Radio.
As Mode 1 pilot I hated they switch and function layout, it was always some kind of compromise.

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 10-13-2014, 10:06 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I was asked how long of a delay (if any) does it take to receive telemetry from the plane. The person who asked (a future Jeti user) mentioned that Spektrum had a 2-3 second delay. I have been searching but cannot find anything. I have not used anything but receive signal and battery voltage, and the way I have it set up is not conclusive (reading out every 15 seconds).
Old 10-13-2014, 10:31 AM
Jeti USA

It all depends on how much data you are trying to stream, but data stream is cycled in every frame (10ms - 30ms). There is additional delay in processing all information, I usually see delay of 0.5-1s

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 10-16-2014, 06:35 AM
Ripon

I have just set up my R10 and RSat2 in Dual path - Dual receivers - Dependent - Normal thanks to great advice on here. I have all 4 antennae showing on the screen but when I disconnect the RSat2 I get a "Signal Loss" message on the screen and all 4 antennae go to zero but a servo connected to one of the outputs still works, bit worried about putting this in a model - should I just go to satellite clone?

Thanks, John
Old 10-16-2014, 08:15 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by Ripon
I have just set up my R10 and RSat2 in Dual path - Dual receivers - Dependent - Normal thanks to great advice on here. I have all 4 antennae showing on the screen but when I disconnect the RSat2 I get a "Signal Loss" message on the screen and all 4 antennae go to zero but a servo connected to one of the outputs still works, bit worried about putting this in a model - should I just go to satellite clone?

Thanks, John
This has been brought up before and I believe it's just an anomaly of the way the telemetry works. Also, I assume you are testing this by disconnecting the remote receiver. This really isn't a great test of what the redundant receiver is actually doing which is providing antenna diversity and a redundant data path should the PRIMARY receiver, which has the servos connected, fail to receive a valid signal. Unfortunately there currently is no real way to simulate the real failure mode but I believe the ability to shut down one of the transmitters RF sections has been requested. Turning off the transmitter section which talks to the primary receiver would be a much better test of what we are actually trying to accomplish with a redundant receiver. Hopefully a future software update will make this possible and perhaps take care of the issue with completely losing antenna telemetry when the redundant path is disconnected, assuming there isn't some hardware issue that prevents it of course.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:26 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

John,

All four antennas going to zero when disconnecting the satellite receiver is a "display" issue not an indication of the RF performance so you shouldn't be concerned. I believe a firmware change request was submitted to take care of the issue (strength of the disconnected satellite would drop to zero but the strength of the primary receiver antennas being correctly displayed).

Wayne,

Quite right, the best way to test would be to simulate a failure of one of the RF modules in the transmitter. I requested a firmware change to be able to turn off the modules for testing purposes only (similar to turning down RF power during a range check). This request is being reviewed by Jeti to determine how best to provide this functionality.

Jim
Old 10-18-2014, 10:57 AM
tonyos
My Feedback: (48)

Hi any one with this radio have a solution to use Any Link want to use some small Bind and fly over the winter Thanks
Old 10-18-2014, 11:05 AM
Puttputt maru

Originally Posted by tonyos
Hi any one with this radio have a solution to use Any Link want to use some small Bind and fly over the winter Thanks

There is a discussion here:
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=539600

Using the orange transmitter from hobby kings with a Jeti receiver. Pretty easy to do. The one I received was defective so:

You can also use a spectrum module, which I am looking into discussed here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2235446

I am pretty sure you could do the same with AnyLink
Old 10-18-2014, 11:44 AM
tonyos
My Feedback: (48)

Default Thank you for the reply

Originally Posted by Puttputt maru
There is a discussion here:
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=539600

Using the orange transmitter from hobby kings with a Jeti receiver. Pretty easy to do. The one I received was defective so:

You can also use a spectrum module, which I am looking into discussed here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2235446

I am pretty sure you could do the same with AnyLink

Thank you for the reply
Old 10-19-2014, 05:22 AM
gooseF22

I personally built one of the orange modules.. the pictures and specs are on this thread back in the spring..

It works ok, but there is a tiny bit of lag since you are using PPM.. but it worked on the little mig, the quad, and the geebee that I have from HH..

You have to remember which mode each plane runs, DSMX 22 or 11, or DSM 22 or 11.. the 4 modes are selected by pushing the button on the orange transmitter 3 times in short succession..once bound.

It was pretty easy to build.. I used a 5 channel first, then later 4 channel receiver with no EX bus.. it does the 8 chan ppm easy..

All you need is the orange module, the jeti receiver, a switch and a battery.. you need to use an A123 or Lipo/Lion 2 cell to keep the voltage right.. I have an A123 on it, and it lasts all day on a charge.. One could make it much more compact using a small lipo and a small container..but I wanted to store the antenna inside when not in use.. Caution, don't turn on without the antenna plugged in..
Finally set all jeti throws to 80% to match JR outputs for this stuff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1519.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	635.5 KB
ID:	2041078  

Last edited by gooseF22; 10-19-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:00 AM
philjac94

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dual RSat2 Connection to Futaba/Robbe Pss2018

Not sure if this has been covered before, I tried searching but didnt get far.
With jets already setup using Futaba Sbus/PSS2018 I searched for a way to replace the 2 sbus rx's feeding the PSS2018 with 2 x RSat2 Jeti Satellites. The Futaba/Robbe manual is useless. It mentions it can be done with a special patch lead that connects the RSat to one of the Spektrum ports automatically. I tried this making my own patch cable first but gave up early on. Instead I thought I would try the menu change to Jeti Receiver type, that is in the 2018 (not mentioned in the manual), I then put the DS16 into dual path mode and bound each RSat to my Tx, went in and changed each RSat to PPM Positive function and finally connected to the RX1 and RX2 ports of the PSS2018. End result is it works perfectly, even local antenna strength shows up correctly on the PSS Data Screen.
After this I thought about the Xicoy Telemetry unit also installed in the jet. This needs the EXT port to function so reverted the RSats back to EXT/PPM, this works perfectly too. So now I have exactly what I was hoping could be done Dual RSat Rx's connected to Robbe Futaba PSS2018 with Engine Telemetry. Incidently the Emcotec DPSI is identical to the PSS2018 so connection is also possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.