Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 12:30 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
The airplane was a Sun Fli 5, Pattern plane similar to a Kaos. Had an OS .65 glow engine. I figured it would be a good test model to get a feel for the TX. I was using a 6L rx. It was the full range micro RX. a single 2600 mah A125 batt. It also had a 5th channel for retracts.

It just seemed as the flight went on, the control was becoming less and less positive. Like it was pixilated if you can imagine that. It just slowly got worse. I knew I had to get down, but did not soon enough before I lost control. The signal loss alarm was when the batt unplugged on impact.

I do not know how to check the log to find out what the event was. Never had a brand new radio fail me like this. Good thing I did not put it in one of my big scale warbirds.

Needless to say, I do not trust it, and will most like be selling. My experience has not been good over all.
Sorry to hear this. Did you perform a range test before flying? Did you test the battery voltage after the crash ? I know you said it was a fully charged A123 but even new batteries can be bad. Did you reconnect everything and test the movement of the servos after the crash? What type of servos were you using ? How many servos ? How many battery connections to the receiver ?

From your description of the events, there are many possible causes of your problem. Not trying to say it wasn't the transmitter, just that you'll never really know if your new transmitter "let you down" until you figure out what actually happened.

Still, I hate it when stuff like this happens too...

Wayne
Old 06-29-2015, 12:50 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just looking at my log for the ultra flash. Really cool! I have the xicoy telemetry adapter and can read engine rpm etc on the JetI screen. Looking at the log I can see everything, engine rpm, throttle, fuel amount etc etc. I am curious to what the rx: q (%) stands for though.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:33 PM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by jonkoppisch
I was just looking at my log for the ultra flash. Really cool! I have the xicoy telemetry adapter and can read engine rpm etc on the JetI screen. Looking at the log I can see everything, engine rpm, throttle, fuel amount etc etc. I am curious to what the rx: q (%) stands for though.
Q stands for signal Quality and is expressed as a percentage of packets that are successfully sent from the transmitter and received by the receiver. IT is quite possible to have a very high Q value, even if some of your antenna signal strength values are fairly low.

I generally see Q values in the 98+% range when flying within the limit of my eyesight with 40% Aerobatics airplanes. Jeti has stated that due to the nature of their link, even with Q values below 50% (not sure how much below) you will have complete control of the model and not notice any effect on the servo outputs. Some have stated
that they have seen less than 20% Q without any loss of control. Based on my personal experiences, if I wasn't seeing consistently high values for Q I would make an effort to ensure that my receiver antenna placement, etc was as good as I could possibly get it. I believe that most of the guys I've seen reporting lower Q values were glider guys and they probably often fly at much greater distances than I do.

Wayne
Old 06-29-2015, 01:44 PM
jonkoppisch

Nice! Looks like mine are staying high, 80+, but there is an occasional low blip. Lowest I've seen was a 22%
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150629_164635.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2106412  

Last edited by jonkoppisch; 06-29-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:30 PM
Puttputt maru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobneal1
David,
I have it working. When I blow into the airspeed pitot the gyro gain increases. I have gyro gain channel mixed to itself with the proportional switch but, I can not get it to decrease the gain with speed, only increase. Any tips?

Thanks,
Bob Neal
Bob if you are still need of some help there is a very good tutorial here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2159040

The first part is how to set up the Cortex but then it gets into using airspeed indicator with it.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:19 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Under load, today, my battery is reading 6.7 volts and holding it. The battery was fine I believe. Although, that is how it acted. As if it was losing power. I do not seem to have data logging as an option on my TX. Under applications the only 2 options are Jeti box and games. Is that another upgrade to purchase for the DS 14? Knowing the voltage at the time of the event would be nice.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Jeti USA

Please have a look here, we created bunch of Short Videos explaining individual features.

Here is one explaining Telemetry & Timers
Voice Output Setting/Telemetry & Data Display
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj2VEV5NUr4

http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-video.aspx
Introducing "Jeti Shorts", Your Express Way to Jeti Universe!!!

More Added Weekly!!!

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited by Jeti USA; 06-29-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:03 PM
jonkoppisch

Under load, today, my battery is reading 6.7 volts and holding it. The battery was fine I believe. Although, that is how it acted. As if it was losing power. I do not seem to have data logging as an option on my TX. Under applications the only 2 options are Jeti box and games. Is that another upgrade to purchase for the DS 14? Knowing the voltage at the time of the event would be nice.
I don't know about the ds14 but it's all enabled on the ds16. It's an invaluable tool for troubleshooting for sure! Shows antennae strength, packet loss as mentioned earlier and rx voltage.

I try to always take a new receiver and put it into a foamy or small plane that I can fly long distances away and angles to range test...
Old 06-29-2015, 05:04 PM
jonkoppisch

Dup

Last edited by jonkoppisch; 06-29-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:04 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

VG was the retract mechanical or electric? I have had mech retract before that were not retracting 100% after takeoff (from grass) and that suck battery real fast....electric usually not a problems. Also battery voltage has change since yesterday so I would disregard that if I were you....
Old 06-29-2015, 06:23 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Dansy
VG was the retract mechanical or electric? I have had mech retract before that were not retracting 100% after takeoff (from grass) and that suck battery real fast....electric usually not a problems. Also battery voltage has change since yesterday so I would disregard that if I were you....
It would seem the battery voltage could only go down from yesterday. And yes, the telemetry data logging is available for purchase as an upgrade. The retracts were pneumatic, all the radio did here is power a servo. No problems with the retracts.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:39 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Well voltage would go up a little after used as the pack cool down.....I check my battery right after every flight and if I check the next the stabilize higher.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:12 AM
tonyos
My Feedback: (48)

Have DC16 over 2 years in one word best Radio I have ever had , Do It you will be happy ,
Old 06-30-2015, 07:37 AM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Dansy
Well voltage would go up a little after used as the pack cool down.....I check my battery right after every flight and if I check the next the stabilize higher.

I have found the A123's to remain very flat. Never had a problem with them. Maybe the RX did not like the vibration of the engine. I had close to 100 flights on that plane. I just swapped the RX and trimmed it out. Flew it, and the radio failed. That is all I know. I would still have it if my old radio was in there. Disappointing. I am really not planning to purchase the upgrade to check the history. I probably could not get it to download into my TX anyway, just like the other upgrades I purchased.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:54 PM
oconcj

Hi VG

Sorry about your crash. I'm fairly new to Jeti also, switching between Spektrum and Jeti. I also run A123's. They say whoever they is that most radio failures are batteries or switches. I know you think it was the Jeti, but I would guess the battery. Who's A123's were you using and switch? It seems that the slow failure would be more electrical and not radio related. I know people keep asking questions, but just trying to help. I have been flying for 40 plus years with no radio failures, but some switches and a few battery issues, mainly years ago. Hope I helped.

Chris
Old 07-02-2015, 03:37 AM
wfield0455

It would seem the battery voltage could only go down from yesterday. And yes, the telemetry data logging is available for purchase as an upgrade. The retracts were pneumatic, all the radio did here is power a servo. No problems with the retracts.
Are you certain that the Data Analyzer isn't included on the DS14 Basic. I looked on the Esprit website and they don't seem to list an upgrade price. Perhaps I simply missed it or perhaps it gets turned on with some other features. Still, the Data Analyzer seems a pretty basic diagnostic tool to verify that your equipment and installation is operating as expected and it really should be there in all versions in my opinion.

One thing that hasn't been suggested is to connect the DS14 to your PC and look in the logging directory. Even if the Data Analyzer ISN'T installed, the transmitter may still record the telemetry and log it to a file so it can be replayed on a PC. Even though I have the Data Analyzer on my DS16 I have installed DataExplorer http://www.nongnu.org/dataexplorer/#downloading and can use it to examine log files created by the DS16 on my Mac. It's a free program and assuming your DS14 DID record a log file but just won't display it on the transmitter, it may help you understand exactly what happened. If you decide to try to install DataExplorer and run into any issues, feel free to send me a PM and I'll try to help..
Old 07-02-2015, 03:58 AM
Walo

Crashed the first plane I used my new jeti TX in yesterday. Had new fully charged A123 battery for RX power. Flew fine for the first couple of minutes, then started getting a little twitchy. Decided to set up to land, as I knew something was wrong. In the downwind leg of approach, my plane just went into a roll, complete loss of control. After hitting the ground I got the signal loss alarm on my TX. Not too happy about this.
Were all your devices (Servo, Gear...) approved for HV (High Voltage)? I know that some servos do not like A123, even if they are rated for 6,0 Volts.

Regards, Walter
Old 07-02-2015, 07:42 AM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Default CB200 - Capacity Telemetry

A very few "early versions" of the CB200 do not retain battery capacity metering on a power cycle. I have eight CB200 and only two of them suffer from this issue and they are from the earlier release batch.

Apparently its a know issue and has been brought to the attention of Jeti engineers and just recently they have posted an update version 1.25 for the CB200's.

http://www.hacker-motor.com/download...-version-1-25/

I do not think its a critical or essential upgrade, only certain devices having the battery (Accu) capacity retention issue (on power cycle) can upgrade if that is an issue for them.

Also, a new software update for the receivers has been posted on Jeti web site (http://www.jetimodel.com/en/Download...rs-Tx-Modules/) . This new version is number 3.24.

This version comes in several formats, but for most users the standard version can be used. Below are the release notes for the update:

- RSat2: Signal intensities from antennas are now swapped so that A1 & A2 respect the numbering found on the receiver case.

- All receivers: More precise and jitter-free servo pulse generating (precision 0.125μs).

- Update for all R- receiver types (R3, R4, R5, R6, R7, R8, R9, R10, R11, R12, R14, R18).

Hopefully we should see the above updates, as well as the device software "CBOX400.bin" for CB400 on Esprit soon.

Wish you all a Happy 4th of July holiday, be safe and enjoy your Jeti system, the best on the current market...

David
Old 07-02-2015, 08:24 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have found the A123's to remain very flat. Never had a problem with them. Maybe the RX did not like the vibration of the engine. I had close to 100 flights on that plane. I just swapped the RX and trimmed it out. Flew it, and the radio failed. That is all I know. I would still have it if my old radio was in there. Disappointing. I am really not planning to purchase the upgrade to check the history. I probably could not get it to download into my TX anyway, just like the other upgrades I purchased.
If it was the battery wouldn't the low voltage alarm go off? even with A123's it can be set to any low voltage you want. What was your's set to?
Old 07-02-2015, 08:31 AM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

If I remember correctly the default out of the box RX voltage alarm is set at 4.5V.... if that is not adjusted it will not warn you properly. I have moved away from Life and A123 batteries due to the fast drop of power when near empty... the Lipo's have a steadier decline and don't drop "off the cliff" like A123 or Life batteries..
Old 07-02-2015, 08:50 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
If it was the battery wouldn't the low voltage alarm go off? even with A123's it can be set to any low voltage you want. What was your's set to?
When you set up the alarm you have the option of setting the new default based on the voltage you want to be warned at. Anyone using A123s using the default voltage warning of 4.5V is simply not properly utilizing the radio.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:15 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
When you set up the alarm you have the option of setting the new default based on the voltage you want to be warned at. Anyone using A123s using the default voltage warning of 4.5V is simply not properly utilizing the radio.
While now I set my Rx Alarm voltage for A123s to about 6V, when I first got my DS16 I didn't know enough to change it. I had both A123 packs fail in my airplane and the first thing I noticed was the engine skipping due to the low voltage to the Tech-Aero IBEC that powered the ignition, shortly after that the low voltage alarm sounded. While I had already decided to land due to the engine missing I was able to land the airplane safely and taxi back to the pits before the engine quit. The servos were getting pretty slow but the pack still read about 4.4V when I got back to the pits. This was in a 100cc airplane with 8, JR 8711 servos in it so I'm sure this would vary based on the type and number of servos. If I had the alarm set to 6V as I do now it would have been a total non event with enough time to go around a couple of times if needed.

When you look at the discharge curve as a graph, A123s look like they fall off a cliff but in reality with decent telemetry even as steep as the discharge curve is, they still provided me adequate time to land safely.

Wayne
Old 07-04-2015, 05:28 AM
Custmachr
My Feedback: (3)

Sorry for your crash. There are many possibilities. I would like to add a couple more. This being an existing model is it possible you were overdriving one or more servos mechanically. The Jeti travel at 100% is equal to approx 125% in a spectrum and most other systems. So if you had your servos set at 100% in you old radio you would need to limit the end points to 80% in the Jeti. Also based on your description it sounds like you may have head a servo overheat. This could have been caused by the above condition, the 6.6 volt batteries vs 4.8, or the refresh rate set in the receiver if you were running standard servos. I suggest if possible firing up your system and letting the radio cycle the servos and see if any heat up. Just my two cents. Hope you find the issue. I have only been flying the DS-16 for a few months but find the capabilities outstanding.
Tim
Old 07-04-2015, 07:47 AM
Jeti USA

It's official Jeti DS/DC-24 line of radios will have 3x RF modules, 2x 2.4GHz will work in Standard or Dual Path Configuration and 900MHz module as additional backup if the system experiences interference on 2.4GHz.

Jeti is killing it again.

Zb/Jeti USA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150704_10_43_48_Pro.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	2107412  
Old 07-04-2015, 10:46 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That is the one I have been waiting on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.