Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Old 08-02-2015, 02:48 AM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMac
Hi Guys,
I wonder if someone can point my in the right direction on a problem I have. I have two jets running single R14 Rx's and my intention is ultomately to replace these with CB200 = 2x Rsat2. However that will be a winter recon job on both models. Whilst I have had not a single glitch with either jet with a single Rx, I thought that I would add a clone RX as I have teh Rsat2's sitting on the shelf. This had always been my intention, I just never got around to it. Now a couple of freinds told me that this was areal ***** to do and I thought that they were exagerating, but they are right. I have followed Jeti's instructions step by step and I cannot get it to work. The only way that you know a Rsat is working is to unplug it. Then you should get an "S" alarm "low Signal". But I do not get this, so there is no way of knowing if the Rsats are actually working or not.Clearly I am missing something. Any ideas anyone?
John
John... I initially started with R14's when I move to Jeti.. Later I changed the R14's when I learned more about the CB200 and its capabilities and functionality... It will be a good move as you said during winter...but if you don't R14 is a great receiver..

Now for your R14.. I think you want want to add Rsat in dual path mode and not clone mode to increase antenna redundancy. Then if I can remember correctly the "S" morse alarm is for loss of signal in "Sat2" pin of R14... Make sure your R14 Sat2 pin is setup to accept PPM signal (in device explorer) and that your Rsat is setup up to PPM signal output.. Then the S alarm should be triggered when you unplug Rsat from "Sat2" pin of R14 since it's not seeing any data stream...

Also keep in mind that only the CB (100/200/400) can communicate in Ex Bus mode with its recievers .. All the other Recievers in dual path mode are PPM mode communication.(at least for now till future upgrades )....

Enjoy...

David
Old 08-02-2015, 04:14 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Guys,
I wonder if someone can point my in the right direction on a problem I have. I have two jets running single R14 Rx's and my intention is ultomately to replace these with CB200 = 2x Rsat2. However that will be a winter recon job on both models. Whilst I have had not a single glitch with either jet with a single Rx, I thought that I would add a clone RX as I have teh Rsat2's sitting on the shelf. This had always been my intention, I just never got around to it. Now a couple of freinds told me that this was areal ***** to do and I thought that they were exagerating, but they are right. I have followed Jeti's instructions step by step and I cannot get it to work. The only way that you know a Rsat is working is to unplug it. Then you should get an "S" alarm "low Signal". But I do not get this, so there is no way of knowing if the Rsats are actually working or not.Clearly I am missing something. Any ideas anyone?
John
I just did this recently as I wanted antenna diversity but I didn't want dual path as I wanted to be able to fly this jet on a trainer / student setup to help others get their turbine waiver. I used an R5 as the clone receiver and simply followed the instructions on the Jeti site. It took minutes and worked perfectly on the first try.

1) Bind the receiver to be configured as a clone to the DS16
2) Use a Jetibox to set output to PPM Positive
3) Use a Jetibox to set receiver to Clone mode
4) Use a Jetibox to ensure the Clone receiver is configured to send Morse Code Alarm S (should be by default).
5) Pair R14 to DS16, ensure Tx is set to default mode, not dual path, etc.
6) In Device Explorer, set R14 Sat 1 port to PPM Positive.
7) Plug the Clone receiver into the Sat 1 port of R14
8) Go to DS16 Alarms, Morse Code settings and make sure Morse Code Alarms are enabled and "S" is configured for Low Signal.

Done. Took longer to type than to do the steps. When you disconnect the clone receiver it should send Morse Code "S".

Personally, unless you want to use trainer / student functionality with this model, I would recommend dual path instead of clone mode.

Last edited by wfield0455; 08-03-2015 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:21 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would agree with Wayne that you might want to add the second receiver in dual path instead of using it as a clone. Adding the second receiver gives antenna diversity (always a good thing) and you can decide whether to have the receiver act in normal or clone mode which have the following advantages/disadvantages:

Second Receiver in Normal Mode (receivers bound to transmitter using dual path)
Advantage: both receivers transmit telemetry data including data internal to the receiver (such as signal strength or Rx voltage) as well as the data for any sensor plugged into the receiver.
Disadvantage: setup can't be used in student/trainer mode

Second Receiver in Clone Mode (receivers bound to transmitter using single path)
Advantage: jet can be easily configured to student/trainer mode
Disadvantage: clone receiver does not transmit telemetry data back to transmitter. While you have antenna diversity, you have no data as to how well the antennas are positioned & working.

For me, I prefer having the telemetry and will choose normal mode & dual path every time.

You might want to read few old posts as follows:
- post #208 Dual Receivers - Depandent - Clone has a description of pros/cons
- post #209 Dual Path - Dual Receivers - Dependant - Normal for a description and pros/cons.
- post #238 gives a step-by-step procedure for setting up two receivers in dual path (each receiver is bound to one Tx module).
- post #226 - #237 there was a discussion with myself, Chris (Downwind3Zero) and Dave (Goose_F22) about the pros/cons of these two setups. We recommend using both receivers in normal mode (per posts #209 and #238).
- post #386 gives a step-by-step procedure for setting up a CB200 with two satellite receivers and includes the pros/cons

Note: these posts were written with earlier versions of the firmware so the step-by-step procedures are a bit out of date. However, the pros/cons are still valid.

Regards,

Jim
Old 08-03-2015, 01:23 AM
Downwind3Zero
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Jim. Using a clone receiver is troublesome as you really never know if and how well it is working. I use Dual Path/Dual Rx/Normal for all my jets except the largest one where I have 2 independent Rx bound to one Tx module each.
Chris
Old 08-03-2015, 02:18 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi David, I had these two jets flying before the Jeti came on the scene. Especially with the Sabre, it was simplest to swap out the existing RX, and fit a jeti R14 in its place. It worked fine so I have not changed it. In the winter there is work to do on both these models, so that is when I will change things over to the CB's, But quite a bit of rewiring is required, and I do not wnat to take these jets off
line when the flying weather is good, and spare time so short. Since I have already bought all the items for the refit, I thought a quick and simple upgrade would be to add the clone Rx.
Sold on the PB's though. I have a CB400 already flying on a model finsihed last month and my next two are destined to go the same way. awesome bit of kit.
John
Old 08-03-2015, 02:34 AM
JohnMac

Hi Wayne,
Thank you for your detailed reply. My guess is that item 4 is the culprit, since I already set everything up just as you wrote. I assumed that the Rsat default is to produce morse code alarm "S", but I have not set it this way as I cannot find where to do this with the Jeti box.
John
Old 08-03-2015, 03:30 AM
JohnMac

Hi Jim,
Thank you for this post as I had forgotten TBH that you can set updual path with a main and a satelite Rx. I just tried this and it works right away so I think i will set both models up this way.
Thanks.

John
Old 08-03-2015, 03:50 AM
LA jetguy

Hi David, I had these two jets flying before the Jeti came on the scene. Especially with the Sabre, it was simplest to swap out the existing RX, and fit a jeti R14 in its place. It worked fine so I have not changed it. In the winter there is work to do on both these models, so that is when I will change things over to the CB's, But quite a bit of rewiring is required, and I do not wnat to take these jets off
line when the flying weather is good, and spare time so short. Since I have already bought all the items for the refit, I thought a quick and simple upgrade would be to add the clone Rx.
Sold on the PB's though. I have a CB400 already flying on a model finsihed last month and my next two are destined to go the same way. awesome bit of kit.
John
JohnMac... Replacing an R14 with a CB200 doesn't require any wiring except for two powers source wires and two Rsat wires. all the servo wires currently in R14 plugs directly into the CB200 in the same PIN number.. That is pin 1 R14 to pin 1 of CB200.. And so forth and the CB200 is a drop in replacement of R14 as far as footprint...

As for the S alarm if you decide to stay with R14 is in the Alarm menu of your TX...first line "morse code alarms".. Then you scroll down to S and then associate a .wav file to that... When the R14 , which is the reciever that communicates telemetry info to your TX, doesn't see a PPM stream in Sat2 pin the S Alarm is triggered...

Enjoy

David..
Old 08-03-2015, 04:35 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Wayne,
Thank you for your detailed reply. My guess is that item 4 is the culprit, since I already set everything up just as you wrote. I assumed that the Rsat default is to produce morse code alarm "S", but I have not set it this way as I cannot find where to do this with the Jeti box.
John

John,

My comment about setting the Morse Code Alarm in the clone receiver isn't correct. As David mentioned, the lack of the main receiver seeing a PPM input stream is what triggers that alarm condition so the setting would need to be in the main receiver, not the clone.

Connect the R14 to your Jetibox and find the Out Pin menu. Look under Sat1 and Sat2, they should both be selected for PPM Input and there should also be a PPM Alarm Code setting for each Sat port.

Last edited by wfield0455; 08-03-2015 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:19 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

Can someone describe a suitable battery configuration to use with the CB200 and standard voltage servos.

After reading the posts warning about not using voltage regulators between the battery and the CB200, due to the fact that the CB200 logic will drain just one battery all the way before switching given the small tolerances in regulator outputs, and not continually balancing between both sources, it seems that the CB200 is best suited to a dual, direct, un-regulated battery feed.

That works if you are using unregulated NiMh, but if using the newer chemistry batteries Li-Ion/ Li-Po or Li-Fe (A123), these need regulators if you are running standard 6V compatible servos.

I guess you could use a DSM10 dual redundant battery switch and 2 regulators into just one of the CB200 inputs but that seems to be adding complexity.

Thanks

Paul
Old 08-04-2015, 03:48 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Paul, I use CB200 fed from two Jeti Max BEC linear regulators, yes the current drawn is not equal but it isn't all taken from one battery. Both batteries are used, the proportion is about 2:1. Not ideal but not as bad as one battery only at a time that you fear.
I have never tried it but everyone says that A123s are okay to use unregulated.
Or how about a Jeti Max BEC 2D which takes two batteries as inputs and does the balancing between the batteries. It has one output which the CB200 will be quite happy with.

Last edited by HarryC; 08-04-2015 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:27 AM
LA jetguy

Originally Posted by JSF-TC
Can someone describe a suitable battery configuration to use with the CB200 and standard voltage servos.

After reading the posts warning about not using voltage regulators between the battery and the CB200, due to the fact that the CB200 logic will drain just one battery all the way before switching given the small tolerances in regulator outputs, and not continually balancing between both sources, it seems that the CB200 is best suited to a dual, direct, un-regulated battery feed.

That works if you are using unregulated NiMh, but if using the newer chemistry batteries Li-Ion/ Li-Po or Li-Fe (A123), these need regulators if you are running standard 6V compatible servos.

I guess you could use a DSM10 dual redundant battery switch and 2 regulators into just one of the CB200 inputs but that seems to be adding complexity.

Thanks

Paul
Paul... When using a CB200 you do not need a regulator or a load balancer. Using two LiFe (6.6 V) directly into the CB200 is the best way to go. The CB200 will balance the load between the two batteries and pulls power from the highest voltage source. That is ONE of the beauties of CB200 amoung many.....

Almost all servos and other devices (retracts, valves..etc ) on current market are happy with direct LiFe or A123 voltage. You do not need any regulator when using these power sources and especially when using a CB200... And for sure you don't need a DSM10.. A DSM 10 is for when you use a regular reciever (R3...R18) to give you power redundancy... That's not needed in a CB200 environment...

If you would use a Lipo (7.4 V) with standard servos I would recommend a regulator...

Enjoy your Jeti system...

David
Old 08-04-2015, 04:48 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

In my systems I'm using HV servo's with the CB200 (3 R3) and 2 2s 2250 mah lipos direct feed. All my planes are pretty much all HV now and it works very well with the Jeti system.

I always tried to used the least amount of component to eliminate the clutter and the possible failure the more stuff you used the more possibility for failure you will have.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:20 AM
LA jetguy

All my currents jets are as Daniel explained above CB200 direct feed by two Lipo 2s (7.4 V) and all HV servos....

BUT my new coming jet will have a CB400 two Lipo 3s (11.1 V). The CB400 will regulate to 8 volts still safe for all my HV brushless MKS servos. My electric retracts, brakes and afterburner lights are feed from one of the BEC of the CB400. The other BEC of CB400 will feed the power to my turbine ECU....keep in mind each BEC can be regulated to a voltage 5V to 8V.

Just two 3s Lipo's on board to feed everything... Less clutter is always better

Im enjoying my Jeti system...

David
Old 08-04-2015, 05:54 AM
Custmachr
My Feedback: (3)

[QUOTE=LA jetguy;12079783]Paul... When using a CB200 you do not need a regulator or a load balancer. Using two LiFe (6.6 V) directly into the CB200 is the best way to go. The CB200 will balance the load between the two batteries and pulls power from the highest voltage source. That is ONE of the beauties of CB200 amoung many.....

Almost all servos and other devices (retracts, valves..etc ) on current market are happy with direct LiFe or A123 voltage. You do not need any regulator when using these power sources and especially when using a CB200... And for sure you don't need a DSM10.. A DSM 10 is for when you use a regular reciever (R3...R18) to give you power redundancy... That's not needed in a CB200 environment...

If you would use a Lipo (7.4 V) with standard servos I would recommend a regulator...

Enjoy your Jeti system...

David[/QUOTE

Paul

As David indicated above I have found that the voltages on the LiFes are comparable with freshly charged NiCds. Also when you hook up your CB 200 you will see that it has about a 0.4 V drop due to the diodes or whatever it uses in the circuit to isolate the batteries. So you end up with about 6.1 to 6.3 V to the servos typicaly

Tim
Old 08-04-2015, 06:16 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by LA jetguy
All my currents jets are as Daniel explained above CB200 direct feed by two Lipo 2s (7.4 V) and all HV servos....

BUT my new coming jet will have a CB400 two Lipo 3s (11.1 V). The CB400 will regulate to 8 volts still safe for all my HV brushless MKS servos. My electric retracts, brakes and afterburner lights are feed from one of the BEC of the CB400. The other BEC of CB400 will feed the power to my turbine ECU....keep in mind each BEC can be regulated to a voltage 5V to 8V.

Just two 3s Lipo's on board to feed everything... Less clutter is always better

Im enjoying my Jeti system...

David
David, I think I will have something similar next year my next project will be big enough to have a CB400 running 3s
Old 08-04-2015, 07:14 AM
LA jetguy

Daniel... by the time you are ready.. next year or sooner.. you will be able to use the FULL resources of the CB400... Hopefully in a couple of weeks you can have 16 + 8 for your DS/DC 16... and hopefully before the end of the year DS/DC 24....

Keep up with Jeti technology...

David
Old 08-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Downwind3Zero

This is great stuff for our Jets!! In the meantime I got the Xicoy flight computer to play with
Chris
Old 08-04-2015, 02:04 PM
LA jetguy

Originally Posted by Downwind3Zero
This is great stuff for our Jets!! In the meantime I got the Xicoy flight computer to play with
Chris
Chris...Which FC1 did you get.. "Basic" or "Plus"... let me know if you have any questions on it... I'm slowly converting over from Xicoy telemetry sensor and Jeti Mspeed... its a great device.

Did you also download the PC software to analyze your recorded data?? and your flight path... this device has a lot of capabilities.. over time you will discover and enjoy it...

David
Old 08-05-2015, 12:52 AM
Downwind3Zero

David, I got the Plus version. I have a Jet with MSpeed in it already so it will be easy to adapt. I need to download the software. If you have any tips or updates on Jeti/Xicoy stuff don't hesitate to pm me
Thanks Chris
Old 08-05-2015, 01:29 AM
Downwind3Zero

BTW. Re: CB400. If the BEC's could be programmed to a different Voltage than the servos that would open up several possibilities for pwr management of complex aircraft. It would eliminate having to use HV servos to be able to use 7.4V for lights/ECU etc. Just a thought.
Chris
Old 08-05-2015, 05:35 AM
LA jetguy

Originally Posted by Downwind3Zero
BTW. Re: CB400. If the BEC's could be programmed to a different Voltage than the servos that would open up several possibilities for pwr management of complex aircraft. It would eliminate having to use HV servos to be able to use 7.4V for lights/ECU etc. Just a thought.
Chris
Chris... The answer to your question is YES.... Each BEC on CB400 can be adjusted between 5V to 8V... Default is 5V. And they are independent of the servo pin voltage...

Also as for your FC1 (Flight Computer) you can download the PC software here:...http://www.xicoy.com/FlightCompView.zip. The current fw version on the release is 1.0... I will let you know as new firmware is released... Great features are being tested ...

Enjoy..

David
Old 08-05-2015, 06:59 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by LA jetguy
Daniel... by the time you are ready.. next year or sooner.. you will be able to use the FULL resources of the CB400... Hopefully in a couple of weeks you can have 16 + 8 for your DS/DC 16... and hopefully before the end of the year DS/DC 24....

Keep up with Jeti technology...

David
With hopefully with a new RED DC-24 when ever they release....Hopefully they will also release the Mezon ESC in smaller and larger sizes....for my other side
Old 08-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Downwind3Zero

That's good news David. I was under the impression that the BEC's had the same output voltage as the servo connectors. Thanks for the link!
Chris
Old 08-11-2015, 01:40 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
on 20 July 2015

Late this or early next week Jeti will release new update for DC/DS-16 Tx/Rx. Update will add extra 8 channels to the 16 channel radio architecture. Those extra 8 channels will have adjustable mid/end points plus some extras, all full 4096 resolution. To make changes you do not even have to use Device Explorer, all will be set from Servo/Function Assignment page.

Zb/Jeti USA

Three weekends have now passed, where is it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.