Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 03:18 AM
number27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have new powerbox mercury and installing in Rebel Pro with vector thrust tube. Mercury has 15 single channels. It has pre determined axis Elevator R & L, Flaps R & L, Aileron R & L, Rudder, Vector Ele, Vector Rud & Throttle. That uses 10 channels. I then have Nosewheel, Smoke, Lights, Gear, Door, Brakes and a coloured smoke canisters to add.I did have connected 2 x RSAT's but will run out of holes to plug into as I have 17 channels.

So how do I get the extra channels I need. Yes I have 24 channels selected but only have 15 inputs available.

DO I disconnect 1 x rsat and plug in another receiver (5 or 7 channel) and dual path this like the RSAT's are currently configured.

If so then how does one assign channels 16 and above to the 5 or 7 channel receiver etc. Will use the receiver for all the minor stuff.

If this cant be done suggestions on how to proceed further on this.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:27 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryC
Craig, it's not impossible but it would be an unusual model that required a widget per channel, there is normally some doubling up e.g. 2 aileron channels per stick, one retract switch to run the legs and doors channels and so on.

Logic switches are software, not actual physical switches, which is why you don't see any more switches on the face of the 24 compared to the 16. Logic switches are of the sort that you say if A is on AND B is on then do something, else don't. For example my brake chute switch only works if the arming switch is on AND the throttle is at idle AND the gear is down. I also use a logic switch that checks if the throttle is at more than idle AND the wheelbrakes are on then speak "wheelbrakes are on" and keep repeating it so that I don't land with the brakes accidentally on and the wheels locked.

You have more controls that are invisible, the DS (but not the DC) has gyros in it which sense tilting or rotation of the Tx and these can be used where appropriate, for example on my glider I use tilt left to speak the elapsed time, some people use tilt back to operate wheel brakes, and so on. I have seen a video of a model being flown purely by tilting the Tx but I wouldn't recommend it!
Harry,
Thanks for the explanation....I was a little unclear on exactly what was meant by "logical switches". Yes, I understand you don't need a switch for every "channel" but nevertheless, I find myself and others running out of dedicated switches for the ever increasing number of functions/features available to us. Doubling up switch functions and workarounds like you describe above are a reasonable solution (as long as you can remember them all), but a few more switches/buttons/knobs would be nice.

The tilt activation and stick switches are a step in the right direction.

Craig
Old 05-16-2016, 05:02 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobneal1
Bob,

I am not sure I like the gyro on this plane. I really wanted it for gusty crosswind landings but it works nice in high alpha as well. I am thinking I cannot have more than 3 expo settings per control surface.

Bob
Bob,
Since it sounds like you have created 6 flight modes, 3 with gyro on and duplicates but with gyro off, you can then simply use the flight mode as your dual rate/expo selector by not assigning a switch and simply changing from G to S. Then you simply select each flight mode and adjust each controls dual rate/expo setting as desired. For example, you can select low rate/no gyro and set your ailerons to 50% D/R, 30%, expo and then select low rate/with gyro and set something such as 50% D/R, 15% expo or whatever values you want so that it feels the same with gyro on or off.

Hope I understood what you were trying to accomplish correctly.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:39 AM
Bobneal1
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wayne,

You do understand what I am trying to do. So I need to deselect the switch for dual rate/expo and select "s" and change it to the rate and expo I want and it will save it in that particular flight mode that I am currently in ?

Thanks,

Bob Neal
Old 05-16-2016, 12:35 PM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by Bobneal1
Wayne,

You do understand what I am trying to do. So I need to deselect the switch for dual rate/expo and select "s" and change it to the rate and expo I want and it will save it in that particular flight mode that I am currently in ?

Thanks,

Bob Neal
Correct. Change Aileron, Elevator and Rudder from Global to Separate, deselect the switch and then you will have a separate dual rates/expo for each flight mode.

Another possibly nicer solution may be a slight variation of the same thing..

1) Assign flight modes on a 3 position switch such as SA and have for example, A, B, C for flight modes.
2) Leave Gyro sens unassigned but we'll assume the gyro will be enabled/disabled using a 2 position switch such as SC.
3) Set your Aileron, Elevator and Rudder Dual Rates to Separate so you will have separate rates for each of your 3 flight modes (A,B,&C).
4) In dual rate, select flight mode A and then assign your gyro control switch, SC in the dual rate Switch for that flight mode. Repeat this for flight modes B, and C as well.

You now have separate dual rates for each flight mode A,B and C but you can use your gyro control (SC) to select different rates and expo for each flight mode based on whether the gyro is on or off..

The reason I think this may be better is that you will only need to create 3 flight modes A, B & C instead of creating flight modes AGyroOn, AGyroOff, BGyroOn, BGyroOff, CGyroOn and CGyroOff. With the extra flight modes you would probably need to use logical switches to decode the flight modes with gyro on vs gyro off, etc.. I just think this may be easier to maintain when you go back to tweak something a few months later, etc.

I'm not sure I noticed what you were using for a gyro but assuming something such as a Cortex, you could then simply use the Gyro Function, again selected as Separate and set the desired Gain and Mode (rate/hold) for each flight mode. You would then create a Mix of Gyro sens -> Gyro sens with a Master value of -100%, controlled by the Gyro on/off switch (SC) being in the OFF position. That should force Gyro sens to 0%. turning the Cortex off. If you aren't using a Cortex or something that is controlled in a similar fashion, we'll need to figure out a way to disable it but it should be simple enough..

Hope this helps or at least makes sense..

Last edited by wfield0455; 05-16-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:16 PM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by number27
I have new powerbox mercury and installing in Rebel Pro with vector thrust tube. Mercury has 15 single channels. It has pre determined axis Elevator R & L, Flaps R & L, Aileron R & L, Rudder, Vector Ele, Vector Rud & Throttle. That uses 10 channels. I then have Nosewheel, Smoke, Lights, Gear, Door, Brakes and a coloured smoke canisters to add.I did have connected 2 x RSAT's but will run out of holes to plug into as I have 17 channels.

So how do I get the extra channels I need. Yes I have 24 channels selected but only have 15 inputs available.

DO I disconnect 1 x rsat and plug in another receiver (5 or 7 channel) and dual path this like the RSAT's are currently configured.

If so then how does one assign channels 16 and above to the 5 or 7 channel receiver etc. Will use the receiver for all the minor stuff.

If this cant be done suggestions on how to proceed further on this.
I see two problems:

- you don't have enough channels available, because as far as I know, not ALL RECEIVERS support 24 channels. I recall reading statement here in the forum posted by JetiUSA that only the REX7 support full 24 channels. I might be wrong and the channel problem can be easily solved anyway.

- you also do not have enough outputs to plug in 17 servos into the PB Mercury

First let's talk about the number of ports (not channels) problem. You will definitely need at least one receiver with 3 ports to plug in 2 extra servos plus the RX connection to the Powerbox. Should you plan to plug in any telemetry devices, the receiver needs to have at least 4 ports. So I suggest to get at least one bigger receiver with more channels to replace one of the RSats you are currently using. Update the receivers with the latest UDI 16 firmware 3.25 that gives you 16 channels. In "device manager" set both receivers to output the "UDI 16" protocol. Set the PB Mercury in "receiver settings" to accept the "UDI" input protocol. Now you can plug in 15 servos into the PB Mercury. BTW, the receivers do have their own input ports and will not use up any servo ports. The servos 16 & 17 will be plugged in the bigger of the 2 receivers. In device manager you can assign each port its own channel. So if you plugged servo 16 in RX port 1 and channel 17 in RX port 2 you can easily configure it that way in the "Output Pin" config of the receiver.

The only other problem is the number of channels. As I said before, as far as I know most RXs support only 16 channels and you listed 17. Actually you forgot 2 more channels you'll need if you want to use the Mercury's built in gyro (what I would expect). You'll need 1 channel to select the gyro flight mode and 1 channel to set the gyro gain during your test flights, so a total of 19 channels. The gyro gain channel is needed only temporarily to properly adjust the gains during a few test flights, you could for example disable the smoke or lights channel temporarily and use it for the gyro gain instead. That still leaves you 2 channels short, but you can use the Mercury's "servo match" function to combine the elevator servos and flap servos under one channel each. In the "basic model" options of the radio, simply select that you have a model with only ONE elevator servo and ONE flap servo. Then use the servo match function of the Powerbox to manually adjust the center and end points of each elevator and flap servo. I used a similar configuration with my Powerboxes when the UDI16 protocol wasn't released yet and only 12 channels were supported.

Thomas

Last edited by bluelevel; 05-16-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:37 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by bluelevel
I see two problems:

- you don't have enough channels available, because as far as I know, not ALL RECEIVERS support 24 channels. I recall reading statement here in the forum posted by JetiUSA that only the REX7 support full 24 channels. I might be wrong and the channel problem can be easily solved anyway.

- you also do not have enough outputs to plug in 17 servos into the PB Mercury

First let's talk about the number of ports (not channels) problem. You will definitely need at least one receiver with 3 ports to plug in 2 extra servos plus the RX connection to the Powerbox. Should you plan to plug in any telemetry devices, the receiver needs to have at least 4 ports. So I suggest to get at least one bigger receiver with more channels to replace one of the RSats you are currently using. Update the receivers with the latest UDI 16 firmware 3.25 that gives you 16 channels. In "device manager" set both receivers to output the "UDI 16" protocol. Set the PB Mercury in "receiver settings" to accept the "UDI" input protocol. Now you can plug in 15 servos into the PB Mercury. BTW, the receivers do have their own input ports and will not use up any servo ports. The servos 16 & 17 will be plugged in the bigger of the 2 receivers. In device manager you can assign each port its own channel. So if you plugged servo 16 in RX port 1 and channel 17 in RX port 2 you can easily configure it that way in the "Output Pin" config of the receiver.

The only other problem is the number of channels. As I said before, as far as I know most RXs support only 16 channels and you listed 17. Actually you forgot 2 more channels you'll need if you want to use the Mercury's built in gyro (what I would expect). You'll need 1 channel to select the gyro flight mode and 1 channel to set the gyro gain during your test flights, so a total of 19 channels. The gyro gain channel is needed only temporarily to properly adjust the gains during a few test flights, you could for example disable the smoke or lights channel temporarily and use it for the gyro gain instead. That still leaves you 2 channels short, but you can use the Mercury's "servo match" function to combine the elevator servos and flap servos under one channel each. In the "basic model" options of the radio, simply select that you have a model with only ONE elevator servo and ONE flap servo. Then use the servo match function of the Powerbox to manually adjust the center and end points of each elevator and flap servo. I used a similar configuration with my Powerboxes when the UDI16 protocol wasn't released yet and only 12 channels were supported.

Thomas
There is an additional problem with driving additional servos directly from a receiver. While an REX receiver, will support 24 channels and it's possible to remap it's output ports to drive servo channels greater than 16. I'm not sure this is a good idea. Also not sure this is true for the Powerbox being discussed, but it is common for power expanders to provide a regulated power supply to the attached receivers. Since these units expect ALL servos to be powered by the power expander, the supplies to the receivers a VERY low power (1A???) and NOT adequate to power additional devices connected directly to the receiver.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:00 AM
Don Perry
My Feedback: (51)

Heres what I ran into when setting up my powerbox royal. Using the latest software update for the R3 RX gave 24ch (but only in ext out) in doing that, they reduced the UDI output to 12. So I had to downgrade my rev level back one on the R3 (yes using dual Rx's) which made the UDI output back at 16ch which then let me assign my functions separately in the powerbox rather than letting the powerbox combine multiple surfaces into one chanel (Such as flaps, or dual elevators, ect.)
Old 05-17-2016, 07:28 AM
bluelevel

@Don

This is the exact way that I described above to our Australian friend, but he has to combine several servos into one channel, because he needs 19 channels and his PB Mercury only has 15 outputs.

@Wayne

You are bringing up a good point, but in this special case it shouldn't matter. The OP was describing several auxiliary functions like smoke canisters and lights, which usually require a separate power supply. So if he uses the receiver power ONLY to activate two electronic switches and power itself for the lights and smoke canisters comes from external batteries, I think he's fine.

@Number27

Anyway if you still have a chance to swap the Mercury for a Royal, I suggest to do that. I know it's more expensive and doesn't offer a whole lot more features, but a Rebel Pro is a 12k jet any day and I wouldn't skimp on 300 Dollars. The Royal has 18 channels and 24 outputs so all your problems would go away.

Thomas
Old 05-17-2016, 08:24 AM
Don Perry

Just remember the update for the R3 version 3.25 is the one that reduces the available channels in UDI.

You need Download Firmware UDI 16 R3/RSW-18US 3.24 (June, 2015) to get all 16 Ch in UDI for the power Box.

Again this was a pain to figure out the first time. Even after we sent our power boxes back to germany to be updated to the latest rev to use UDI in the first place.

Last edited by Don Perry; 05-17-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:05 PM
saillplane77

Hopefully this is the correct forum to ask lame questions. I have been reading the last 50 replies and it's obvious I need a PowerBox Royal for dummies book. If this is not the best place to ask for help can someone direct me to a better source? For the last 15 years I have been a Speke user, DX-7,8,9 and last year 18. It's been good for me but the telemetry issues and options bothered me so I borrowed a Jeti and liked the feel. Did not want to wait to long to learn new tricks. I then bought a DS-16 and a 7 channel Jeti receiver and tried it in a fun fly to test how I liked flying it long term. I liked it so recently made the plunge to try out a full optioned system. I fly jets and turbo props and wanted some options not available on Speke. After reading the Power BoxRoyal SRS manual (all 56 pages most seemed to deal with gyro and door sequencing) and skimming through the Jeti DS-16 (All 2,257 pages...) I was able to get the system running but mostly through trial and error. I don't want to pick the (works great on the ground but 300 ft. away glitches occur) option. The combination below is being used in a FB Dolphin with a Jet Central Turbine. Can anyone give me an insight to what I might be doing in error or why the Xycoy flight computer is not working? Do I need to do something special with the R3 that it is plugged into? I looked for this but could not find any information on the web. By the way this is a nice forum and I will continue reading the previous posts to learn. I'm using the Jeti Li Ion batteries. The PB does not give that option so choose LiPo. Is this what others are doing? Thanks again for all the inputs.

Radio: Jeti ds-16
Receiver: Powerbox Royal SRS
Transmitter Setting: Jeti UDI
Frame rate 21ms.
Antenna: 2 – Jeti R3 plugged into the (Rx-1 and 2 slot, control out)

** Rx-1 EXT plugged into the Xycoy Flight Computer telemetry output. This does not appear to be working.

Device Explorer:
Duplex R2 – EX
Serial Link: UDI
Output Period 28 ms (Going to use 12 channels)
PPM Settings: Computed

Old 05-17-2016, 12:23 PM
bluelevel

Originally Posted by saillplane77
Hopefully this is the correct forum to ask lame questions. I have been reading the last 50 replies and it's obvious I need a PowerBox Royal for dummies book. If this is not the best place to ask for help can someone direct me to a better source? For the last 15 years I have been a Speke user, DX-7,8,9 and last year 18. It's been good for me but the telemetry issues and options bothered me so I borrowed a Jeti and liked the feel. Did not want to wait to long to learn new tricks. I then bought a DS-16 and a 7 channel Jeti receiver and tried it in a fun fly to test how I liked flying it long term. I liked it so recently made the plunge to try out a full optioned system. I fly jets and turbo props and wanted some options not available on Speke. After reading the Power BoxRoyal SRS manual (all 56 pages most seemed to deal with gyro and door sequencing) and skimming through the Jeti DS-16 (All 2,257 pages...) I was able to get the system running but mostly through trial and error. I don't want to pick the (works great on the ground but 300 ft. away glitches occur) option. The combination below is being used in a FB Dolphin with a Jet Central Turbine. Can anyone give me an insight to what I might be doing in error or why the Xycoy flight computer is not working? Do I need to do something special with the R3 that it is plugged into? I looked for this but could not find any information on the web. By the way this is a nice forum and I will continue reading the previous posts to learn. I'm using the Jeti Li Ion batteries. The PB does not give that option so choose LiPo. Is this what others are doing? Thanks again for all the inputs.

Radio: Jeti ds-16
Receiver: Powerbox Royal SRS
Transmitter Setting: Jeti UDI
Frame rate 21ms.
Antenna: 2 – Jeti R3 plugged into the (Rx-1 and 2 slot, control out)

** Rx-1 EXT plugged into the Xycoy Flight Computer telemetry output. This does not appear to be working.

Device Explorer:
Duplex R2 – EX
Serial Link: UDI
Output Period 28 ms (Going to use 12 channels)
PPM Settings: Computed

Let's see if I understood everything right. You have a PB Royal and 2 R3 receivers. The receivers are set to UDI and you connected output port 3 of each receiver to the inputs of the Powerbox. This part seems to be working fine, because you didn't say that any of the servos connected to the PB are the problem. Then you also have a Xicoy flight computer that you connected to the EXT port (this is usually number 4) of one of the R3 receivers. This is absolutely correct and I wonder, why you think it's not working?

Please go to the "Timers/Sensors" menu of your radio and select "Sensors/Logging Setup". Then press the "Auto" button to refresh the list of telemetry inputs. This process might take up to 2 minutes. Do you now see the Xicoy Flight Computer parameters in this list? If yes, go to the "Displayed Telemetry" menu of your TX and select what info you'd like to display on your radio's homescreen.

Thomas
Old 05-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Jeti USA

Look at this, guys at Jeti are working at full steam. Pre-Flight Check at your fingertips.

Zb/Jeti USA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Preflight Check 1.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	2163003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Preflight Check 2.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	2163004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Preflight Check 3.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	2163005  
Old 05-17-2016, 01:45 PM
number27

I have updated receivers to latest firmware. Still only seeing 16 channels in the Duplex REX7.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:08 PM
saillplane77

Thomas, thanks for taking the time to help me with this. I am not seeing the Xycoy when I press the "Auto" and wait 5 mins. The mapping seems to work ok to the throttle. When I use the Jet Central Data terminal with the DS-16 I can train the transmitter and the turbine should operate ok. I did not start it but the Pulse = readings responded to the throttle. I've double checked my connections and I believe following the Xycoy FC inputs/outputs. As a test I took another Xycoy FC and it is doing the same thing.

A side question is the receiver status lights both come on. I thought I read with Jeti only the active link would be ok?

Anyone input on the battery selection? Is using the Lipo ok with the Li Ion? I know this is not effecting the issue I am having now.

Again thanks, I am now up to page 64 of the forum and learning. I think the mixing part will be ok for me, for some reason this seems easy and the Jeti makes it easier.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:44 PM
bluelevel

Thomas, thanks for taking the time to help me with this. I am not seeing the Xycoy when I press the "Auto" and wait 5 mins. The mapping seems to work ok to the throttle. When I use the Jet Central Data terminal with the DS-16 I can train the transmitter and the turbine should operate ok. I did not start it but the Pulse = readings responded to the throttle. I've double checked my connections and I believe following the Xycoy FC inputs/outputs. As a test I took another Xycoy FC and it is doing the same thing.
Sorry, but I do not have any other ideas why it shouldn't work. I use the Xicoy telemetry module in one of my jets also and it works flawlessly.

A side question is the receiver status lights both come on. I thought I read with Jeti only the active link would be ok?
My Royal does the same, so it seems to be normal

Anyone input on the battery selection? Is using the Lipo ok with the Li Ion? I know this is not effecting the issue I am having now.
I am using LiIons also and chose the LiPo setting of the Royal. These 2 chemisty types are almost the same anyway.

Thomas

Last edited by bluelevel; 05-17-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:56 AM
saillplane77

I resolved the problem. I thought that the turbine throttle in and out on the FC must be used so wired it that way. It did reference for later use but I thought that meant the twin engine capability not the single engine also. I was further misled when I looked a few you tube videos and saw the turbine in line was being used but apparently that was just for power if you were not using tele to get power. Was trying to get the turbine and ECU sinked and had not started on the tele part. Anyway working now and I think I am going to really like the Jeti system. It was truly designed for tele and other advanced networking where the others seems was an afterthought. Again thanks

One question to anyone using the Xycoy FC and Royal or others that have GPS are you using both the GPS in the FC along with the GPS in the PowerBox?
Old 05-18-2016, 06:35 AM
Don Perry

Sailplane77 - Yes I use the xycoy telem on one R3 Rx and on the second R3 Rx I have all of the telem from the powerbox - works great!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:47 AM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wfield0455
I'm not sure I noticed what you were using for a gyro but assuming something such as a Cortex, you could then simply use the Gyro Function, again selected as Separate and set the desired Gain and Mode (rate/hold) for each flight mode. You would then create a Mix of Gyro sens -> Gyro sens with a Master value of -100%, controlled by the Gyro on/off switch (SC) being in the OFF position. That should force Gyro sens to 0%. turning the Cortex off. If you aren't using a Cortex or something that is controlled in a similar fashion, we'll need to figure out a way to disable it but it should be simple enough..
Wayne, I don't think you need to use that mix. The Gyro sens menu has a "tune" parameter, controllable with a switch. I use that to turn off the gyro in any flight mode. Once you have the gain set for each flight mode, use the "tune" parameter to set the gain back to zero when the selected switch is enabled. Easy to do with the Cortex, just watch the LED on the Cortex while adjusting the tune parameter with the switch enabled. When the LED changes to RED, you know you're there.

...jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen013.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	2163085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen014.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	2163086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen015.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	2163087  

Last edited by JimBrown; 05-18-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:05 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by JimBrown
Wayne, I don't think you need to use that mix. The Gyro sens menu has a "tune" parameter, controllable with a switch. I use that to turn off the gyro in any flight mode. Once you have the gain set for each flight mode, use the "tune" parameter to set the gain back to zero when the selected switch is enabled. Easy to do with the Cortex, just watch the LED on the Cortex while adjusting the tune parameter with the switch enabled. When the LED changes to RED, you know you're there.

...jim
Jim,

You're correct but I didn't recommend that because I always like to have a proportional control to tune the gain. Of course you could do something like creating a proportional logic switch of SC and P7 to allow both tuning and a gyro on/off switch if you prefer to do everything in the gyro menu and avoid using a mix. Still, the mix seemed easier to explain than a proportional logic switch. There are always lots of ways to do things with Jeti..

Actually, you should take a close look at your screen captures. I assume in the third capture, with values of -30, SC as a tuning switch and a tuning value of 30% you were expecting to get -30 as your gain when SC is in the gyro on position and 0% gain when SC is in the gyro off position. However, if you look at the parens, you are actually getting -60% gain when SC is in the gyro on position and 0% gain when SC is in the gyro off position. If you assign SC to have a range of 0 / 100 (press F1 when selecting SC) instead of -100/100, you would get -30/0 depending on the position of SC.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:56 PM
JimBrown

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Jim,

You're correct but I didn't recommend that because I always like to have a proportional control to tune the gain. Of course you could do something like creating a proportional logic switch of SC and P7 to allow both tuning and a gyro on/off switch if you prefer to do everything in the gyro menu and avoid using a mix. Still, the mix seemed easier to explain than a proportional logic switch. There are always lots of ways to do things with Jeti..
Yep, there certainly are a lot of ways. ;-) In my case, once I have the gyro dialed in for each flight mode, I don't want to change it, so using this method works for me. As they say, YMMV...

Actually, you should take a close look at your screen captures. I assume in the third capture, with values of -30, SC as a tuning switch and a tuning value of 30% you were expecting to get -30 as your gain when SC is in the gyro on position and 0% gain when SC is in the gyro off position. However, if you look at the parens, you are actually getting -60% gain when SC is in the gyro on position and 0% gain when SC is in the gyro off position. If you assign SC to have a range of 0 / 100 (press F1 when selecting SC) instead of -100/100, you would get -30/0 depending on the position of SC.
All I did, once I assigned the switch, was twiddle the tune value until the Cortex showed the RED led, indicating the gyro is off (which, as I'm sure you know, is at 1500ms, otherwise known as the middle of things.) Worked for me. But, I will double check it before the first flight of the season, which will also be the first flight using the Jeti system. ;-)

All the best,
...jim
Old 05-18-2016, 01:26 PM
wfield0455

Yep, there certainly are a lot of ways. ;-) In my case, once I have the gyro dialed in for each flight mode, I don't want to change it, so using this method works for me. As they say, YMMV...

All I did, once I assigned the switch, was twiddle the tune value until the Cortex showed the RED led, indicating the gyro is off (which, as I'm sure you know, is at 1500ms, otherwise known as the middle of things.) Worked for me. But, I will double check it before the first flight of the season, which will also be the first flight using the Jeti system. ;-)

All the best,
...jim
Jim,

The off value would be correct, it's the on value that is screwy. The number in parens is the effective gyro gain computed from the main value combined with the tuning value and tuning control(SC)l. Flipping the gyro to the off position gives you a value of 0, which is 1500ms or center and equals no gyro. It's when SC is in the gyro on position that things get weird. If you actually want a gain of -60 / OFF based on the position of SC, then that is what you have. If you look at the value in parens you will see that you get -60 of 0 based on SC. If you actually want a gain of -30 percent, which is what I assumed based on the main value you set, then you need to go back into the assignment of SC and press F1 to change it's range from -100/100 to 0/100. Once that is done, then you sill get values of -30 or 0 based on SC. Since it sounds like this will be the first time the model will be flown based on the Jeti gyro setup, I suspect you were planning on a gain value of -30 but you know what they say about assume.

Since this sounds like the first time this airplane will be flown with Jeti, another thing to consider are you end point values on the Gyro Sense channel. If you are coming from something like JR or Spektrum end point values of 100% for Jeti provide a much larger pulse shift (~20%) than JR, Spektrum and Futaba do for end points of 100%. This will affect the gain in your Cortex so if you determined X gain was correct with end points of 100/100 on JR, Futaba or Spektrum, you will probably want to set the end points to 80/80 on Jeti to get a similar gain setting for a similar gain value.

Hope this makes sense..
Old 05-18-2016, 05:45 PM
JimBrown

I appreciate the advise, Wayne, but I'm pretty sure I've got it covered (but will verify the gyro settings before first flight). And yes, I'm aware of the difference in end point values.

Before I decomissioned the JR 12x setup I was using, and that was well dialed in on both my jets, I used my old Hitec servo programmer (which you can plug a receiver channel into) to read out all the signal outputs for every channel in every mode; all the centers and ends. Made a nice spreadsheet chart with all that info.

Once I had the Jeti equipment installed, I then used that spreadsheet and the old Hitec servo programmer to set all the channels and modes with the same centers and ends and whatever else I had in the old setup. So, the new setup is essentially a duplicate of the old setup as far as servo travel and centering.

All the best,
...jim

Last edited by JimBrown; 05-18-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:59 AM
wfield0455

I appreciate the advise, Wayne, but I'm pretty sure I've got it covered (but will verify the gyro settings before first flight). And yes, I'm aware of the difference in end point values.

Before I decomissioned the JR 12x setup I was using, and that was well dialed in on both my jets, I used my old Hitec servo programmer (which you can plug a receiver channel into) to read out all the signal outputs for every channel in every mode; all the centers and ends. Made a nice spreadsheet chart with all that info.

Once I had the Jeti equipment installed, I then used that spreadsheet and the old Hitec servo programmer to set all the channels and modes with the same centers and ends and whatever else I had in the old setup. So, the new setup is essentially a duplicate of the old setup as far as servo travel and centering.

All the best,
...jim
Perfect, that is the ideal way to tell what you've got. If you did that for the gyro channel too, then you should have the same gains as you did with your 12X.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:06 AM
Jeti USA

Just heads up, the DC-24 pre-orders will stop early next week. Whoever would still like to save $100.00 we recommend putting orders in. After FCC is done and US production starts we will switch prices of Standard to $1595.00 and Carbon to $1795.00

Zb/Jeti USA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.