Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bvm Bobcat or kingcat

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bvm Bobcat or kingcat

Old 11-03-2013, 10:10 AM
BoomerSooner
My Feedback: (80)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bvm Bobcat or kingcat

I am kicking around the idea of a new jet to build over the winter. I am leaning towards a bobcat or kingcat but can't decide between the two. I've got a p-80se sitting around I could slap in a bobcat and that would be the logical choice dollar wise. I like the size of the kingcat though and I've seen a couple fly and looks like they fly great. Anyone with any experience with both of them? Pros and cons? Thanks!
Old 11-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had several of them since they came out, and prefer the KingCat for it's larger size. It is just easier on the eyes for me.
A P-80 would be on the low end of the thrust scale for a KingCat. The recommended thrust for the KingCat is 19-35 pounds, and the P-80 does 22 lbs, which is the maximum thrust lever for the BobCat..
I had a BobCat XLwith 31 pounds back in the day, and it was blistering fast. That proved to be way too much engine for it, but it was structurally strong enough to take it. It is probably still flying somewhere in California right now.

The latest version being all composite is a clean, fast airframe that would be ideal with a P-80. Dustin's BobCat has loads of performance with a Jet Central Rabbit, with 22 lbs. Everyone he has buddy boxed on it is amazed at how well it flies. The composite versions features flaps, which are a great improvement over the original Standard and XL versions.
I am building a "Fly Navy" KingCat for a customer right now, and intend to build another one for myself soon. See the short field take off and landing by yours truly with my KC here: http://vimeo.com/19371854
It shows the type of slow flight performance the KC is capable of.
The field is 700' long, and I didn't use half of it. The white line across the runway is at the 350' mark. I turned it around short of that line.

Last edited by Harley Condra; 11-03-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:11 AM
BoomerSooner

That slow flight is pretty impressive. If I were to go with the king cat I was thinking a 180rx. The one I saw fly with a p160sx was impressive. It was incredibly fast yet slowed down like yours in the video. Plus it had the wing tanks on it and looked awesome in the air!
Old 11-03-2013, 01:06 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 120SE in a bobcat turned up the whole way, lots of fun. It can take full throttle turns all day long. King cat would be easier to see, but harder to transport and more expensive. Can't go wrong either way.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like has been said you can't go wrong either way but if you have the P-80se just sitting there then the BobCat is the logical choice. That's what I have in mine and it is a perfect combo. It will give you out of site vertical (not a viking departure) but other than that you will love it. My buddy Ad fly's his KingCat on a PegasusHP and it is also a perfect combo as well. I would say they seem to fly about the same in there given size class. Either is a perfect way to burn Jet A on a Sunday!!
Old 11-03-2013, 03:30 PM
BoomerSooner

Are any of you guys running gyros? The last kingcat I saw was running 370a's. One on each aileron and one for the rudders. Are they necessary for these models?
Old 11-03-2013, 03:46 PM
gregg f
My Feedback: (20)

Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
Are any of you guys running gyros? The last kingcat I saw was running 370a's. One on each aileron and one for the rudders. Are they necessary for these models?
Not necessary, but nice to have in choppy weather/crosswinds etc.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:32 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Condra
I have had several of them since they came out, and prefer the KingCat for it's larger size. It is just easier on the eyes for me.
A P-80 would be on the low end of the thrust scale for a KingCat. The recommended thrust for the KingCat is 19-35 pounds, and the P-80 does 22 lbs, which is the maximum thrust lever for the BobCat..
I had a BobCat XLwith 31 pounds back in the day, and it was blistering fast. That proved to be way too much engine for it, but it was structurally strong enough to take it. It is probably still flying somewhere in California right now.

The latest version being all composite is a clean, fast airframe that would be ideal with a P-80. Dustin's BobCat has loads of performance with a Jet Central Rabbit, with 22 lbs. Everyone he has buddy boxed on it is amazed at how well it flies. The composite versions features flaps, which are a great improvement over the original Standard and XL versions.
I am building a "Fly Navy" KingCat for a customer right now, and intend to build another one for myself soon. See the short field take off and landing by yours truly with my KC here: http://vimeo.com/19371854
It shows the type of slow flight performance the KC is capable of.
The field is 700' long, and I didn't use half of it. The white line across the runway is at the 350' mark. I turned it around short of that line.
Hey Harley,

I just acquired a Kingcat and am considering set-ups. I have access to a local grass field that is about 600 ' and I'm sure will be ok for the K.C. I noticed you have a healthy dose of crow in your set-up. Can you share your set up details?

TIA

PaulD
Old 11-03-2013, 05:07 PM
jkeze
My Feedback: (36)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The only problem with a KingCat and grass field is that you will leave brown stripes where ever you taxi, take off and land. The engine downthrust angle will scorch the field.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Kelly Rohrbach

Gyro is not needed, your choice but for sure not needed. We don't have them in ours and can't see why you would.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:20 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

HI, the Bobcat needs a gyro, but my Kingcat certainlly does not, and nether require flaps for take off.
Rcpete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0120_1.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	1936415   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0117.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	1936416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0121_1.JPG
Views:	463
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	1936417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119.JPG
Views:	569
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	1936418   Click image for larger version

Name:	1836.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1936419   Click image for larger version

Name:	1848.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1936420  

Last edited by rcpete347; 11-08-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:06 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not consider the Bandit ARF instead? I had one with a p70 5 years ago and it was super... not blistering fast but fast enough. I love bandits. With a p80, the barf will be very good imo. Currently I am flying an ultra bandit with an olympus.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:24 AM
RLPageMD
My Feedback: (3)

I vote for the Kingcat, of course I always like bigger. Besides I may have to borrow your P-80 if mine doesn't come back soon. Doc
Old 11-04-2013, 05:51 AM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

I've certainly not felt the need for a gyro on my bobcat. With the p100 it has more power than I need.( takes off, climbs vertically, gives me a 8 min flight)

im only 12 flts in with my bandit, but so far the bobcat goes better with the p100 than the bandit does.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rcpete347
HI, the Bobcat needs a gyro, but my Kingcat certainlly does not, and nether require flaps for take off.
Rcpete
Great looking Kingcat and Bobcat...

Bill
Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Harley Condra

Tomorrow at BVM I will try to get Dustin to download my program for me. For some reason my JR 12X Data Interface doesn't work, so I need his help.
After that, I can upload the program to you.
Here's some more words about the set-up.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...ring-crow.html
Old 11-04-2013, 04:46 PM
BoomerSooner

I like bigger too. You're more than welcome to borrow the 80 if you need to Doc. I bet your 90 gets back soon though.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:48 PM
BoomerSooner

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Now BVM just needs to have a Black Friday sale!!
Old 11-04-2013, 06:16 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ultra Bandit Just bite the bullet then you don't have to keep building and selling
Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 PM
BoomerSooner

Originally Posted by patrnflyr
Ultra Bandit Just bite the bullet then you don't have to keep building and selling
Haha if I had 20k laying around I'd be all over it! Now if I could stumble across a deal on one like you got on your UB that would be a different story!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Harley Condra

Originally Posted by PaulD
Hey Harley,

I just acquired a Kingcat and am considering set-ups. I have access to a local grass field that is about 600 ' and I'm sure will be ok for the K.C. I noticed you have a healthy dose of crow in your set-up. Can you share your set up details?

TIA

PaulD
Paul,
Dustin reminded me about the video tutorial on the BVM website.
As there are only a couple of ways to program "Crow", I feel the video is a better way of showing you how to program it. Dustin is a very competent instructor, so follow along on the video.
Start out with a copy of your program, and you will not affect the primary program if you make a mistake. The program containing "Crow" can become the primary program when you are satisfied with it.

http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/bvm_videos.htm

Scroll down until you find the "Crow" programming video.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:48 PM
BoomerSooner

So I decided I would put my p80se and a bunch of new 8411s I have to use. I went with the blue and yellow bobcat. BVM is running their fall sale so 500 off a bobcat really made the decision for me since I have just about everything else I need for it at the house. I'm thinking about running gyros on the ailerons and rudders. Anyone tried the new igyro? Any easier than running 370A's?
Old 11-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Kelly Rohrbach

Great choice, you will love the plane. Gyros are simply not needed, having said that I never have used them so I can't give a direct comparison but the way mine fly's (same as all Bobcats) I would recommend flying it first then add them if if you feel the need. Others may feel different, not saying I have all the answers but the plane just fly's awesome just as it is.
Good luck
Old 11-08-2013, 07:48 PM
BoomerSooner

Any gotchas or things to watch out for on the build? I'm sure it's straight forward with a thorough manual typical of Bvm, but I've never seen a bobcat manual.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Kelly Rohrbach

Pretty much straight forward, I doubt you will find much to challenging. If any area that needs attention its the wing tube sections. I did find a very tight fit on one side and much less on the other. This is in regards to how the aluminum tubes slide in and out of the winga phenolic tubes. What I did was to sand the inside of the tubes with fine sand paper wrapped around a dowel that was as close to the ID of the phenolic tubes as I could find. Do this before you install them into the wing panels. You may not have this issue as it only takes a fraction of a thousandth of an inch to make a difference. Check and swap around the phenolic tubes with the aluminum tubes and you may find pairs that work perfect together than just mark them accordingly. The other area would be mounting the P-80se. You will find that an extra spacer will be needed to raise the engine up a little so you can move it forward or the bell will hit on the wing/fuse center section. Some guys will drill a hole large enough to put the start motor up into the fuse section but I did not. It is just shy of hitting the fuse and my balance was not an issue. When you install the phenolic tubes into the booms you use the fuse section to help align them up while the glue dries. It will mention in the instructions that this is important in how tight the booms to fuse and wing to booms fit will be. I used a couple cargo ratchet straps to kind of pull it up tight together while it dried, worked great. Just be careful not to damage the finish but as long as you use common sense its a safe way to do it.
Regards

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.