Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Need a new sport jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Need a new sport jet

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 02:55 PM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Aviation Design Diamond
Old 11-08-2013, 03:21 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Nope someone else. No news till its done. Manufacturers have no chance to test and sort/ship/transport before the interweb gets on it. Don't expect any information into next year, but like I said. I'm waiting for 2014

Dave
Not sure what this means, but I'm excited! Hopefully it's a big nice looking CARF sport jet. The Avanti XXL is on my radar, it's a nice size (think 116" long), around 5K with gear, & has a big (Almost Hawk Like) presence. I like to let others try things first though, then go to one of the big shows & see it..
Good luck dude, post what you get
Old 11-08-2013, 03:27 PM
oliveDrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fej?

Originally Posted by basimpsn
How about "THE SPORT JET"
Is that a FEJ? r u selling it?
Old 11-08-2013, 04:05 PM
jetmaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least the lightning looks likes an airplane . Futura and Kingcat are just ugly .
Old 11-08-2013, 04:13 PM
BlueBus320

I like the Futura! It's ok for a sport jet to look like a hightech Drone.. I like it with a light weight painted canopy (no heavy pilot/deck), all business & BadAssNess is all good. Ali did a few crazy schemes on it also.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at the German made BD5J in another thread. It's impressive!
Old 11-08-2013, 05:59 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Ultra Lightning;

Stongest wings of any Sport jet, too strong in fact, they could make them lighter and knock off 2 lbs each... You'll bend your struts but won't rip them out. But it has its own B.S. such as turbine hatch from the bottom and PITA flap servo install, also Gear doors on a sport jet are generally frowned upon.

Shockwave: Was very interested up until Pablo took over and I'm not dealing with him, that being said I have heard the fuel tanks on the shockwave "SUCK" and they don't even use blind nuts on the retracts, its bolted straight into the wood. Yes there are definitely quality concerns. I'm not going to name names but there will be a SLEW of hop-ups coming out for the Shockwave shortly. The gear on the shock wave is supposed to be awesome, made by AIrtech germany so good for grassy fields. ALSO, SHOCKWAVE IS BUILT BY COMPOSITE ARF, its the most expensive Asian Sport Jet on the market, but many say it also flies the best.

Ultrabandit: Generally a pain and expensive, flies very similar to an Ultra Lightning, I don't care who the hell you are to disagree. Here are my issues with the UB:

1) Flexplates, seriously these do far more damage then they are meant to protect.
2) $1,000.00 for a single cockpit?
3) No trailing link gear option, you can only really fly of pavement

that being said this one is on my list to acquire to see what all the fuss is about I will get it with the Striaght fin as the one I flew had the slanted fin, it could NOT hold knife edge without a good bit of adjustments.

Futura: Looks good, but I think its slow, haven't flown.

Jacknife: One of the jets not mentioned, I will be able to tell how this one is soon, built by master builder Jack Holland, mine is in the last stages of being built.

Firebird: My next jet after the Jacknife, this one should be a bullet.

So there you have it, for the Money and current availability I would say Ultra Lightning, tuff as nails, proven, strong, carf so you know it has good support backing it up.

Last edited by DiscoWings; 11-08-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:16 PM
BlueBus320

I read somewhere about a near future Ultra Lightning upgrade. Should be nice
Old 11-08-2013, 07:06 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoWings
Ultra Lightning;

Stongest wings of any Sport jet, too strong in fact, they could make them lighter and knock off 2 lbs each... You'll bend your struts but won't rip them out. But it has its own B.S. such as turbine hatch from the bottom and PITA flap servo install, also Gear doors on a sport jet are generally frowned upon.

Shockwave: Was very interested up until Pablo took over and I'm not dealing with him, that being said I have heard the fuel tanks on the shockwave "SUCK" and they don't even use blind nuts on the retracts, its bolted straight into the wood. Yes there are definitely quality concerns. I'm not going to name names but there will be a SLEW of hop-ups coming out for the Shockwave shortly. The gear on the shock wave is supposed to be awesome, made by AIrtech germany so good for grassy fields. ALSO, SHOCKWAVE IS BUILT BY COMPOSITE ARF, its the most expensive Asian Sport Jet on the market, but many say it also flies the best.

Ultrabandit: Generally a pain and expensive, flies very similar to an Ultra Lightning, I don't care who the hell you are to disagree. Here are my issues with the UB:

1) Flexplates, seriously these do far more damage then they are meant to protect.
2) $1,000.00 for a single cockpit?
3) No trailing link gear option, you can only really fly of pavement

that being said this one is on my list to acquire to see what all the fuss is about I will get it with the Striaght fin as the one I flew had the slanted fin, it could NOT hold knife edge without a good bit of adjustments.

Futura: Looks good, but I think its slow, haven't flown.

Jacknife: One of the jets not mentioned, I will be able to tell how this one is soon, built by master builder Jack Holland, mine is in the last stages of being built.

Firebird: My next jet after the Jacknife, this one should be a bullet.

So there you have it, for the Money and current availability I would say Ultra Lightning, tuff as nails, proven, strong, carf so you know it has good support backing it up.

More Discoisms.

If you heard that the tanks on SW suck is because Jack was at my house and I told him I was having Kevlar tanks being made. There is nothing wrong with the fiberglass fuel tanks, they work perfect and we have had no issues with the tanks. They are lightweight, fiberglass tanks that work perfectly. Why do you think a SW can weigh 36-39lbs? No unnecessary weight.
All future kits will have Kevlar reinforced fuel tanks. Why? Because they suck? No, because guys like you think they have to be Kevlar.
Im guessing Jack told you they suck? He was at my house showing me your Jackknife and getting parts from me for your jet.
Secondly the gear are bolted into plywood with woodscrews. Guess what? we fly off grass a lot and have zero problems. Have you ever seen a $ 15K Tomahawk Jet or any of the Tomahawk jets? They all are this way. Add blind nuts if you want. Are you really saying this is a problem?
My 60lb Hawk flys off grass and the heavy landing gear are bolted in with wood screws.

I have no idea what these hop ups are that you are talking about or who is doing them. Is this another Jack conversation?
The new Shockwaves that are arriving will have even more prefab done from factory and have even more upgrades.

And yes the Shockwave is more expensive. Do you need an economics course to figure this out?
This jet was not developed by Comp Arf. Comp Arf produces the Shockwave. The development stage and prototypes were produced in the US. There is a US designer and US workers and mills and cnc machines all kinds of equipment and power and electricity and tons of money dumped into this project and then it was sent to Comp Arf where numerous changes were made and people were paid and prototypes made and cost piled up and etc. We had stuff shipped over the planet a 100 times. We bought the most expensive best wingtubes you could buy and then doubled them, we bought the best most expensive fuel fittings you could buy for 3 tanks. we added equipment trays, cockpit tubs and on and on and on. This isn't a Comp Arf relabled jet but Comp Arf made this jet awesome.
Selling a hundred wont repay back the investment.

Im helping you get parts for you Jackknife and I must admit I cant help but second guess that decision.
Please bite your tongue about things you know nothing about.
Scott

Last edited by jetpilot; 11-08-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Robrow
JMP Firebird.

Rob.
There is no substitute.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	1937878   Click image for larger version

Views:	116
Size:	4.29 MB
ID:	1937879   Click image for larger version

Views:	150
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	1937880  
Old 11-08-2013, 07:27 PM
jetpilot

Originally Posted by Erik R
There is no substitute.
I saw a Firebird do 300+ mph. Nothing like it!
Tom is a great guy and builds great jets.
My first jet was a Tom Cook Starfire I with square inlets. Reason Im probably even flying jets. I couldn't break that jet!

Scott
Old 11-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Scott,

I'm actually doing an Ultra Lightning right now for the aerobatic side of things. Really like the Shockwave also. That said,the Firebird always takes my breath away. Mammoth in mine makes it insane wide open. I've never seen anything hill climb like it. It would go right out of sight if you let it. Pure adrenaline. Also,no other sport jet is as robust,or well made. Tom still lays up each one himself. I haven't seen a Jacknife in person though. They look very nice also.

Erik
Old 11-08-2013, 08:07 PM
asimatt
My Feedback: (26)

I have an UL with a P200 AMAZING FAST AND AMAZINGLY SLOW!!!! Best of both worlds. Will fly all day on knife edge,snap,roll on a point and flys everything like its on a rail in the sky. You have got to at least try one.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:24 PM
DiscoWings

Originally Posted by jetpilot
More Discoisms.

If you heard that the tanks on SW suck is because Jack was at my house and I told him I was having Kevlar tanks being made. There is nothing wrong with the fiberglass fuel tanks, they work perfect and we have had no issues with the tanks. They are lightweight, fiberglass tanks that work perfectly. Why do you think a SW can weigh 36-39lbs? No unnecessary weight.
All future kits will have Kevlar reinforced fuel tanks. Why? Because they suck? No, because guys like you think they have to be Kevlar.
Im guessing Jack told you they suck? He was at my house showing me your Jackknife and getting parts from me for your jet.
Secondly the gear are bolted into plywood with woodscrews. Guess what? we fly off grass a lot and have zero problems. Have you ever seen a $ 15K Tomahawk Jet or any of the Tomahawk jets? They all are this way. Add blind nuts if you want. Are you really saying this is a problem?
My 60lb Hawk flys off grass and the heavy landing gear are bolted in with wood screws.

I have no idea what these hop ups are that you are talking about or who is doing them. Is this another Jack conversation?
The new Shockwaves that are arriving will have even more prefab done from factory and have even more upgrades.

And yes the Shockwave is more expensive. Do you need an economics course to figure this out?
This jet was not developed by Comp Arf. Comp Arf produces the Shockwave. The development stage and prototypes were produced in the US. There is a US designer and US workers and mills and cnc machines all kinds of equipment and power and electricity and tons of money dumped into this project and then it was sent to Comp Arf where numerous changes were made and people were paid and prototypes made and cost piled up and etc. We had stuff shipped over the planet a 100 times. We bought the most expensive best wingtubes you could buy and then doubled them, we bought the best most expensive fuel fittings you could buy for 3 tanks. we added equipment trays, cockpit tubs and on and on and on. This isn't a Comp Arf relabled jet but Comp Arf made this jet awesome.
Selling a hundred wont repay back the investment.

Im helping you get parts for you Jackknife and I must admit I cant help but second guess that decision.
Please bite your tongue about things you know nothing about.
Scott
First of all I made very clear that I'm not naming names but since you have to go on speculating the fuel tank issue is KNOWN by not 1, not 2 at least 3 other people but like I said I'm not naming names. The tanks are WEAK and the expand when blown into them like a balloon, even UL has kevlar tanks, for a 9000.00 jet its not out of the question to get them.

Its nice you enjoy wood screws, you know who else screws straight into wood? Fly Eagle jet, your favorite manufacturer; put 200 flights on those wood mounted screws and when the wood weakens and starts giving out you'll be putting in blind nuts.

As for Composite ARF, Yes they make the aircraft, it wasn't hard to figure out, and while CARF makes a good CARF branded aircraft I don't think the same applies to other planes they make, case in point the hangar 9 composite YAK, the build quality was far lower than that of the build quality of there own 2.6meter YAK. I OWN both, the main issues reported, fiberglass run-ins, glue joins not finished off correctly e.t.c. I'm not saying this applies to the SHOCKWAVE but I am speculating Andreas won't give items that don't have the CARF badge the same level of care.

I don't need an economics lesson, but maybe you do? Why? It is generally assumed asian manufactured items are of lower quality and price point that European/USA made items, at $9000.00 it is the most expensive Asian built Sport Jet, I would venture to say most of the cost was R&D and not the cost of materials, the plane isn't using airex or hysol, its using fiberglass and epoxy w/milled fiberglass. For the most part its an ultra lightning with the design issues resolved, but at 2x the price.

Also all this concerned about the Shockwave? Are you bank rolling the jet? Certainly sounds like it...

Lastly, I'm not dealing with you, I'm dealing with Jack whatever problems you have, you direct them to Jack, as for the gear, they are made by AIrtech in Germany and Altercare is also selling them. You can do whatever you want to do, I also know about the smashed up shockwave that needs to be fixed by Jack.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:58 PM
jetpilot

First of all I made very clear that I'm not naming names but since you have to go on speculating the fuel tank issue is KNOWN by not 1, not 2 at least 3 other people but like I said I'm not naming names. The tanks are WEAK and the expand when blown into them like a balloon, even UL has kevlar tanks, for a 9000.00 jet its not out of the question to get them.

Its nice you enjoy wood screws, you know who else screws straight into wood? Fly Eagle jet, your favorite manufacturer; put 200 flights on those wood mounted screws and when the wood weakens and starts giving out you'll be putting in blind nuts.

As for Composite ARF, Yes they make the aircraft, it wasn't hard to figure out, and while CARF makes a good CARF branded aircraft I don't think the same applies to other planes they make, case in point the hangar 9 composite YAK, the build quality was far lower than that of the build quality of there own 2.6meter YAK. I OWN both, the main issues reported, fiberglass run-ins, glue joins not finished off correctly e.t.c. I'm not saying this applies to the SHOCKWAVE but I am speculating Andreas won't give items that don't have the CARF badge the same level of care.

I don't need an economics lesson, but maybe you do? Why? It is generally assumed asian manufactured items are of lower quality and price point that European/USA made items, at $9000.00 it is the most expensive Asian built Sport Jet, I would venture to say most of the cost was R&D and not the cost of materials, the plane isn't using airex or hysol, its using fiberglass and epoxy w/milled fiberglass. For the most part its an ultra lightning with the design issues resolved, but at 2x the price.

Also all this concerned about the Shockwave? Are you bank rolling the jet? Certainly sounds like it...

Lastly, I'm not dealing with you, I'm dealing with Jack whatever problems you have, you direct them to Jack, as for the gear, they are made by AIrtech in Germany and Altercare is also selling them. You can do whatever you want to do, I also know about the smashed up shockwave that needs to be fixed by Jack.

The tanks have giant JMP fittings with 3/16 vents. I have never seen the tanks blow up. This is the first I have heard, but somehow 3 guys have told you this? Using a 12v battery wouldn't blow them up. You think Kevlar tanks wont expand? Kevlar doesn't make them bullet proof.

Put blind nuts in to start with, it doesn't matter. Do whatever you want. wood screws, blind nuts, whatever. A blind nut makes it better quality?

Not using Airex? Did Jack tell you this too? you need to stare harder at the monitor. Yes it has Airex!! No, no Hysol. You want me to start making them out of Hysol? why?

what does knowing Jack was going to repair a jet that got damaged in shipping have to do with anything? 100 guys could fix it. He was at my house with your jet and he offered to fix it. Even talked about a trade.

Airtech is no secret, Behotec will fit too.

You buy the gear. Im done helping.
Your the expert, you know it all. have at it.

Scott
Old 11-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Disco man pump the brakes dude.. We all know your blacklisted from a SW, the jet community is awfully small I'm sure you know that. Do you really want to keep burning more bridges?
Old 11-08-2013, 09:09 PM
jetpilot

Heres the fuel tanks with the $140 JMP fuel fittings. We are so cheap as to just put fiberglass tanks in. We have now added $2 in Kevlar to justify the kit price tag. but might have to switch to brass tube fittings to offset the cost. JK!
Hey, look theres the smoke tank under the engine rails! Its also included in the kit!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	1937886   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1937887  
Old 11-08-2013, 09:16 PM
DiscoWings

Bridges? More like a pompous clique of select few that go around setting the status quo, Case in point "Ohh how dare you say something I don't approve, I'll make sure you don't get your gear" go back and put your pacifier back-in I was never comfortable with Jack dealing with you in the first place. But I'm not your customer and I'm not dealing with you, you do what you want.

I'll say what I have to say, and I'm not the only one saying it, even in this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...l#post11657863 its clear there are issues, I guess the clique's reach doesn't go across the pond too bad we can't silence them too.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:20 PM
jetpilot

Bridges? More like a pompous clique of select few that go around setting the status quo, Case in point "Ohh how dare you say something I don't approve, I'll make sure you don't get your gear" go back and put your pacifier back-in I was never comfortable with Jack dealing with you in the first place. But I'm not your customer and I'm not dealing with you, you do what you want.

I'll say what I have to say, and I'm not the only one saying it, even in this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...l#post11657863 its clear there are issues, I guess the clique's reach doesn't go across the pond too bad we can't silence them too.

They critiqued the white paint on Ali Shockwave. Paint quality. Said it didn't cover well. That has been addressed at the factory.
Scott
Old 11-08-2013, 09:27 PM
jetpilot

This isn't McDonalds where you can act like an idiot and they still have to serve you. Your Walmart mentality only works at Walmart.
Scott
Old 11-08-2013, 09:33 PM
DiscoWings

No this is an open forum where you can't hush opinions with your wallet, you cry baby Richie rich mentality doesn't work here either.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:41 PM
ViperOneNL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is it that even on a simple tread about what sport jet to select, the bickering starts. People have opinions and vent them on here. biased unbiased whatever that is what a forum is about, I have no problems with discussions about opinions, but this Discowing vs Jetpilot stuff .....

Take a step back, see how you act an realize you look like bunch 8 year old.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:20 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Absolutely, bickering is a waste of time and energy, not to mention is plain ugly.

About the Sport Jets, I didnīt mention the Ultra Bandit, as good as the Ultra lightining and Shockwave.. build quality in the UB is hard to find elsewhere.

Also in the fastest category are the JMP Firebird and CAI Raptor, but seems that this is not what the original thread wanted..also is worth to mention of the fastest, easiest and interesting sport jet to fly around is a Ultra Flash with a 140 or more Newtons engine... The Bandit of course is nice, and it only takes a 90N engine to go balistic,.. however some people shoehorned big engines in this small plane too.

The new AD Diamond seems very nice. And in the same speed range of the Aurora and Avanti, the new Scorpion XL from Aviation Design.

One of the nicest sport jets I ever saw flying was the CAI Predator, but I think that only two or three where built.

And of course, there are the chinese sport jets and the scale and semi scale jets that fly as sport jets but I donīt want to start WWIII so early in the morning, LOL

Last edited by erbroens; 11-09-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:12 AM
BlueBus320

Don't forget about resale! If you get into the "super high" top end sport jets, don't expect to get anywhere near what you put into it. Seems like UB's typically resale for just over the "Go-Fly combo" price
Old 11-09-2013, 05:05 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had the $'s I'd love to have a shockwave! I was watching them fly at Kentucky jets. Very impressive! I have seen the 'clicks' over the years, usually if you start bleeding $'s they'll talk to you though..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.