Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jetcat P-180RX vs Kingtech K-180G

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jetcat P-180RX vs Kingtech K-180G

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 10:53 AM
dos007
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish I could just get Jetcat to return my calls...two messages in three days and no response.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:26 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

EDIT: My apologies. I originally quoted numbers for a Behotec rather than JetCat, but have now corrected that mistake. The JC is actually much closer to the KT in fuel burn than the Behotec.

Regarding the question of fuel consumption only: The excellent comparison table in RCJI indicates that the specific fuel consumption (fuel used per unit of thrust - an apples to apples comparison) of the KT is 3.6% more than the JC.

Meaning that in the real world you are either cutting your timer down appox 4% or carrying an extra 4% more fuel and corresponding weight to fly the same minutes.

That's hardly a meaningful difference.

I feel for Mr Redman and wish him well, as he has quite a challenge in front of him. Barry (great guy, Hi Barry!) is sitting in the cat bird seat, especially with Ali's glowing endorsement above. Knocking on wood, I just hope that (and this is just good natured ribbing here, don't anyone get all "RCU crazy" on me) his positive review and comments don't jinx KT the way they did FEJ !!

Last edited by highhorse; 11-24-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:02 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, I forgot FEJ's problems right after Ali endorsed them... So much for KC
now I don't know what to buy..haha
Old 11-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Exactly! Especially after a week where my FEJ large F-16 completed its 35th flight and went to its new owner. The same week my KT powered FEJ Hawk came back after a repair / replacement wing after a Powerbox issue caused some damage after 40+ flights, so hopefully another 40+ flights or more on what was one of my most reliable jets of 2013 to look forward to. The same week construction starts on my KT 180 powered FEJ vampire! Just as coincidence would have it. The same week that I placed the order for a pair of the new FEJ giant hawks ad the new giant F-14 for 2014.. I am all good laying it all out in the open for all to see.
Regards Al
Old 11-24-2013, 05:48 PM
BlueBus320

Just joking about the KT stuff. I've looked hard at FEJ's large Hawk, has anyone had success with it? Do you fly them stock, or is there a proven fix for the stab system that you use? At around 6K for the largest hawk's "go-fly" price (that's around the same size as Skygate's), I'd be willing to do a lil enforcement/re-design, but I'll hold off until someone has continued success with one. I was at FJ2013 & watched the partial flight. Which KT will you power it with?
Jay
Old 11-24-2013, 07:54 PM
marquisvns

How did you get the 20%? Did you multiply both figures then the difference? I have a difference of roughly 10% from my copy of RCJI on both max thrust cc/min and 5 min max thrust litre required.

With thrust difference factored in, we are down to 6% difference in fuel consumption.

Regards,
Barry
Old 11-24-2013, 11:17 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali
Exactly! Especially after a week where my FEJ large F-16 completed its 35th flight and went to its new owner. The same week my KT powered FEJ Hawk came back after a repair / replacement wing after a Powerbox issue caused some damage after 40+ flights, so hopefully another 40+ flights or more on what was one of my most reliable jets of 2013 to look forward to. The same week construction starts on my KT 180 powered FEJ vampire! Just as coincidence would have it. The same week that I placed the order for a pair of the new FEJ giant hawks ad the new giant F-14 for 2014.. I am all good laying it all out in the open for all to see.
Regards Al
It's easy to lay it out in the open when it is in FEJ's best interest to support you. I wish the same were true for the customers who also layed it out in the open (without a profit motive) and got screwed. Seriously, why is FEJ being promoted in a thread about Kingtech and Jetcat?

Last edited by dubd; 11-24-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Ali

Really???? Are we going to twist this thread like countless others have been before it?
Hey Jay.. No offence taken at all, I see the joke I just like to try and keep things out in the open.. Good and bad as I know so many people just love to jump over the negative in this hobby.
Regards the big big hawk… I am not sure who is flying it successfully at the moment. I see them starting to reach the hands of end customers, but as yet I have heard no feedback either way. I will be sure to update my findings good and bad. Just as I did with the Medium size hawk that I flew in 2013 and the big F-16. Contrary to popular belief, I am not Privy to any more detailed information from the inner workings of FEJ than the next guy. I am just a pilot who was asked to demo the big F-16 and liked it, so bought a Hawk, and gave feedback on both models as I went along. I then got involved with the Vampire project and am now moving on to see if I can help with any of their new models.
The big hawk that I flew really needed the Mammoth size turbine to fly how it should in my opinion, so I guess I am waiting for the KT 220 or there a bouts. If they can nail that turbine, and then the little 35 I think they have just the spread I need to make it through 2014! Although a 300 and a turboprop would be nice please Barry Ha ha !!
Regards Al
Old 11-24-2013, 11:41 PM
dubd

Twist this thread? It is interesting to me that you consider people losing their FEJ junk and talking about it on RCU as "jump over the negative". Jay, if you buy a Kingtech or Jetcat 180 rest assured that both companies will support you.

Last edited by dubd; 11-24-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:42 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by marquisvns
How did you get the 20%? Did you multiply both figures then the difference? I have a difference of roughly 10% from my copy of RCJI on both max thrust cc/min and 5 min max thrust litre required.

With thrust difference factored in, we are down to 6% difference in fuel consumption.

Regards,
Barry
Hi Barry, good to hear from you. Thanks for offering to help the a fellow KT owner here in Memphis, I hope he took my advice and called you. That's the customer service which has made your brand so popular!

Im glad you made me look again, as I made a mistake and looked at the wrong row on the chart and actually compared your engine to the Behotec rather than the JC. Your KT burns only 3.6% more than the comparable JC. My apologies, and I will edit my post above.

Regarding the fuel consumption calculation: You're looking in the wrong columns. It's a common mistake for sure, and more understandable than my apparently going cross eyed and confusing the JC with another engine entirely. To make a valid comparison between the engines, avoiding the "Engine A burns more per minute than engine B but it makes more thrust" problem of comparing apples to oranges (as we say here in the US), one must compare "Specific Fuel Consumption" which isn't a simple matter of X ounces per minute at max thrust.

SFC is an industry term for the amount of fuel an engine burns over a defined unit of time per unit of thrust.

In a simplified example engine A burns 10 oz/min while making 10 lbs thrust. That's a SFC of 10/10=1. If the competing engine B burns 13 oz per minute but puts out 11 pounds thrust then its SFC is 13/11= 1.18 While it puts out more thrust, it makes thrust efficiently than engine A. In this example engine B, at an SFC of 1.18, burns 18% more fuel to make a given amount of thrust than engine A, and purchasing engine B to get that last 1lb of thrust comes with a penalty of carrying 18% more fuel to fly the same length of time. Conversely, engine A makes 1lb less thrust but that lost performance is perhaps more than compensated by carrying 18% less fuel weight.

RCJI publishes their work in metric units but the concept is the very same. The last column on their table of data addresses grams of fuel burned per second for each newton of thrust. The JC burns .0542 vs the KT at .0562, a 3.6% difference. The Behotec value of .047 is a rather significant diff of nearly 20%. The Hawk 190R, at .0358, is astonishing in that it burns approx 1/3 less than most engines in its class (or others burn 50% more, depending upon which end of the tube you're viewing the equation from)

Aaaaaaanyway, many thanks to the folks at RCJI for their excellent data collection and tabulation!

Hope this helped to clarify rather than confuse further, and my apologies once again for losing my place in the data and putting forth Behotec rather than JC numbers for comparison.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Ali

Knock yourself out Dantley. Talk about it all you like. Start another bunch of threads if thats what you want to do. RCU is there for you. I just don't see the point in turning this thread into another one thats heading in exactly the same way as many many others before it have done.
My purpose on here was to give me experiences gained from running/ selling K180's and 180 RX's. I simply laid some facts down on the table as my involvement with FEJ was mentioned.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:52 PM
dubd

I would do all of the above if I cared about the subject, but I don't. The zombie horse has been beaten and it will be beaten again by the next unlucky SOB. It never ends... and apparently neither does the promotion.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:28 AM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

[ATTACH]1941988[/IMG]

I attached a copy of the article and Data from RCJI for those that want to read it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RCJI_K180G.pdf (3.67 MB, 347 views)
Old 11-25-2013, 01:08 AM
Barrymartin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBus320
I can't find this comparison anywhere. From what I've been reading, the Kingtech is bigger, 4oz heavier, thirstier & arguably uglier, and I'm not sure about residual thrust, but the Kingtechs seem to be bullet-proof with a lifetime warranty. Since selling my KJ66 & Ram750, I've owned nothing but Jetcats, & have had nothing but good experiences. Not trying to start a war, but I'm about to spend 3-4 Grand & this is a question worth asking. Anyone have experience with both of these turbines?
Thanks, Jay
Jet Cat is slipping, they are reliable engines, but the older versions and are painfully slow to accelerate. Also, there have been a lot of reports lately that their service is getting slow. King Tech is a relativity new company with good customer service, Also Kingtech is giving a life time warranty.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:25 AM
BlueBus320

Originally Posted by Ali
Really???? Are we going to twist this thread like countless others have been before it?
Hey Jay.. No offence taken at all, I see the joke I just like to try and keep things out in the open.. Good and bad as I know so many people just love to jump over the negative in this hobby.
Regards the big big hawk… I am not sure who is flying it successfully at the moment. I see them starting to reach the hands of end customers, but as yet I have heard no feedback either way. I will be sure to update my findings good and bad. Just as I did with the Medium size hawk that I flew in 2013 and the big F-16. Contrary to popular belief, I am not Privy to any more detailed information from the inner workings of FEJ than the next guy. I am just a pilot who was asked to demo the big F-16 and liked it, so bought a Hawk, and gave feedback on both models as I went along. I then got involved with the Vampire project and am now moving on to see if I can help with any of their new models.
The big hawk that I flew really needed the Mammoth size turbine to fly how it should in my opinion, so I guess I am waiting for the KT 220 or there a bouts. If they can nail that turbine, and then the little 35 I think they have just the spread I need to make it through 2014! Although a 300 and a turboprop would be nice please Barry Ha ha !!
Regards Al
Thanks all, this probably should have been a poll. It seems like a landslide victory for Kingtech. Barry, if you decide to have any yearend sales, feel free to inbox me, I am all ready to purchase, just trying to hold out due to the time of year.
Great, so Ali, you are saying the KT180 will be a lil small for the 125" sized Hawks? That was my whole point of switching into this class turbine, powering Ultra Flash sized & Big Hawk sized planes. It doesn't matter though, I'd still rather buy a K180 sized & dial it back over a K140 sized turbine.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:39 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBus320
Lol, I forgot FEJ's problems right after Ali endorsed them... So much for KC
now I don't know what to buy..haha
I think this was a slight rub on Ali's account. Just some fun ribbing I suppose. FEJ imploded after Ali loved their biggest F-16 yet!

Even though I've wanted to pick Ali up and slap him around a few times (Dantley surely remembers me saying that I wanted to beat the crap out of Ali if I heard one more wisecrack... ) that dude flies, and flies and flies and flies..... and he travels all over the world to do it..... and he flies other peoples stuff doing it too. And dayum does he put on a good show.

Really what it comes down to, is taking off our jets and landing them safely. That has to be THE bottom line. And kingtech is making a name for itself as a reliable turbine. Its great to have another choice of an engine.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:39 PM
stevekott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just two more cents .. if anyone needs them.

My Kingtech K-180G is Awesome .. a real Brute on Acceleration and Power.

If anything I would say my Jetcats seem a little more refined. Just the way the Data Terminal works.. The Kintech Data terminal is real touchy on the buttons.

I like the way you can connect and disconnect the fuel line on the Kingtech without having to thread the fuel line through the FOD screen.

Both motors are great. I have always had very good service with Jetcat, most recent experience was this morning .. parts are in the mail.

My service experience with Kingtech is beyond very good, it goes to AMAZING.

Happy Flying,

Steve
Old 11-25-2013, 05:15 PM
BlueBus320

Done deal, the thread served its purpose, K180G ordered. Thank you All
Old 11-25-2013, 07:31 PM
flejter1

Congrats and welcome to the KingTech Family!!

Dirk
KingTech Service
Old 11-25-2013, 07:41 PM
BlueBus320

Originally Posted by flejter1
Congrats and welcome to the KingTech Family!!

Dirk
KingTech Service
Thanks Dirk, looking forward to learning the KT. It was good talking to you the other day, I'm glad you returned the call
Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Hi ,Dirk do you have idea when the big 200-250 size turbine hit the store shelfs or 100 size turbine with 120 punch .
Old 11-26-2013, 09:05 AM
flejter1

I can say, the factory has been working on a few more turbines and I wish I had more details and a release date to tell. I have to take my hat off to them, as they do a complete torture test and tweak them until they meet or exceed their expectations. We want to make sure we deliver more dependable products and not just release them to release new product. Barry has been at the factory for the last couple of weeks and hopefully he will have more news (or rumors) to release when he returns state side.

Kick the tires & light the fires!!!
Burn more Diesel

Dirk
KingTech Service
Old 11-28-2013, 11:47 AM
marquisvns

There's a sale at Dreamworks!

Save $250 on orders $2500 & over - Use Code: BF250

Sale valid from 11/27/13 – 12/1/13. Valid on order placed through www.dreamworksrc.com only. Sale cannot be combined with any previous or current discount offers. Offer will not be extended and only applies to website placed orders during the valid sale dates.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Barry
Old 12-21-2013, 12:05 PM
BlueBus320

Default Can't believe this is a 40lb thruster in this small case

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	1949772  
Old 12-21-2013, 02:46 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

You'll love it. That same turbine is whipping this jet around. Its a beast. I can't wait to put more flights on my Kingtech.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.