RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Best transmitter system - 2,4 Ghz.

Reply
Old 11-24-2013, 08:58 AM
  #51
rcjets_63
 
rcjets_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 2,591
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmh View Post
Would you like me to list it's [the Jeti system's] shortcomings?
lets be serious.
Sure thing, here goes....

1) I'd prefer if the R14 Ex receiver had Multiplex connector ports for two receiver batteries. That would save me having to install a Multiplex-to-servo connector adaptor to connect my second battery.
2) It would be nice if the aluminum transmitter case had enough room inside for my DC-16 tray and the Profi handheld telemetry box.
3) It would be nice if I could reset the MUI-30 sensor capacity telemetry value to zero with a single press of a button.
4) It would be nice if there was a wider choice of Imperial units (rather than metric) for some of the telemetry.

That's all the shortcomings I've found. It's a pretty short list of "nice to haves". I suspect that firmware updates will address items 3 & 4. For #2, I may have to make due with having to transport the tray separately (like everyone else that flys with a tray regardless of what system they use). For #1, not such a big deal as I have plenty of adaptors already from flying JR 1221 receivers.

I've flown Futaba, JR, Multiplex, and Spektrum radios and have to say that the Jeti system is by far the best. That's why I wanted to be on the Jeti team. It's simply an awesome radio!

Regards,

Jim
rcjets_63 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:01 AM
  #52
luv2flyrc
 
luv2flyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mississauga, ON, CANADA
Posts: 1,619
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmh View Post
Would you like me to list it's shortcomings?
lets be serious.
Yes, because I don't see any...other than some people don't like the trims.

Mike
luv2flyrc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:03 AM
  #53
rmh
 
rmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: , UT
Posts: 12,630
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

It`s cind of funny that nobody have yet explained us the different systems.. END QUOTE:
As the technological complexity increases , the ability of the users to understand it decreases exponentially.
Not because they are stupid - It is just how it occurs .
Don't believe it ?
look at the confusion about "why my 2.4 model crashed".
reasons given
1 this brand is no good
2 batteries have to be 6 volts
I have been flying for 50 years
On n on --
rmh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:11 AM
  #54
rmh
 
rmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: , UT
Posts: 12,630
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Add
It is very heavy - what is the advantage in having to hold a heavy tx?
I prefer a tx which is easy to hold with one hand -
There is no record of how the sellers will handle tech issues
As for as the price - and features, continued sales and service will determine what VALUE exists.
rmh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:34 AM
  #55
oneaew@msn.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: hemet , CA
Posts: 1,148
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

i dont belive there is any one the very bestthings happen to all of us one time or the other> dont pat some one on the back
oneaew@msn.com is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:40 AM
  #56
rcjets_63
 
rcjets_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 2,591
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmh View Post
As the technological complexity increases , the ability of the users to understand it decreases exponentially.
Not because they are stupid - It is just how it occurs .
There is some truth to that. Almost everybody understood how to use a buggy whip or a tricycle when these products were first released. There is a learning curve with any computer radio regardless of brand.

A hobby shop owner once told me that many computer radios are installed in four channel planes and the owners struggle use the ATV to set up control throws and have no idea what a mix is let alone how and why to use one.

Jets are a bit more complicated than a four channel sport plane and I suspect that jet pilots are a bit more technically adept. We also tend to want complex functionality that was undreamed of 20 years ago. (For instance, the pushbutton on my right gimbal stick activates the brakes when the landing gear is down but is "bomb drop" when the gear is up. I have a sensor/alarm that plays a wav file saying "Flameout flameout flameout" if my turbine shuts down in flight.)

Fortunately, we are a community and we help each other. There are lots of threads answering "how do I..." questions as well manufacturer teams/reps to assist.

The caveman days were likely a lot simpler (find animal, kill animal with spear, eat animal) but I'd like to think that technology has improved our standard of living and the quality and safety of our flying (something no caveman ever did).

Regards,

Jim

Last edited by rcjets_63; 11-24-2013 at 09:46 AM.
rcjets_63 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:11 AM
  #57
luv2flyrc
 
luv2flyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mississauga, ON, CANADA
Posts: 1,619
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmh View Post
Add
It is very heavy - what is the advantage in having to hold a heavy tx?
I prefer a tx which is easy to hold with one hand -
There is no record of how the sellers will handle tech issues
As for as the price - and features, continued sales and service will determine what VALUE exists.
I agree that the service may be of concern, the importer should be able to explain the situation there. Pretty hard to beat Horizon Hobby or Futaba Service for service.

I broke an antenna connector on a Weatronic receiver last year. By the time I shipped it back to Germany, it cost me over $300 for the repair and shipping. Mind you, it is an $800 receiver so, it was certainly worth repairing. Probably a repair that Horizon would have done for free if only they carried the product. The Euro stuff is not for the faint of heart price wise but, there's no arguing the quality of it. It's not the typical, disposable Chinese junk that we're used to here. If you want something made to aerospace spec, you have to pay for it. And remember, we're in the jet forum here, where the models can be worth a lot of money.

As for the TX weight though, I don't see that as a shortcoming but as a positive, as I do prefer a heavier tx.

Mike
luv2flyrc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:33 AM
  #58
rmh
 
rmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: , UT
Posts: 12,630
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjets_63 View Post
There is some truth to that. Almost everybody understood how to use a buggy whip or a tricycle when these products were first released. There is a learning curve with any computer radio regardless of brand.

A hobby shop owner once told me that many computer radios are installed in four channel planes and the owners struggle use the ATV to set up control throws and have no idea what a mix is let alone how and why to use one.

Jets are a bit more complicated than a four channel sport plane and I suspect that jet pilots are a bit more technically adept. We also tend to want complex functionality that was undreamed of 20 years ago. (For instance, the pushbutton on my right gimbal stick activates the brakes when the landing gear is down but is "bomb drop" when the gear is up. I have a sensor/alarm that plays a wav file saying "Flameout flameout flameout" if my turbine shuts down in flight.)

Fortunately, we are a community and we help each other. There are lots of threads answering "how do I..." questions as well manufacturer teams/reps to assist.

The caveman days were likely a lot simpler (find animal, kill animal with spear, eat animal) but I'd like to think that technology has improved our standard of living and the quality and safety of our flying (something no caveman ever did).

Regards,

Jim
Having taught tech stuff and been through teaching newcomers into rc for many years - I find that what the buyer THINKS he is buying and what he actually buys -are many times miles apart.
If finances are no object - there is a tendency to buy "the bestest with the moistest and the intended uses-as you noted are nothing like the radio was designed to offer.
Same with automobiles - it's just a human frailty.
rmh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:38 AM
  #59
rcjets_63
 
rcjets_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 2,591
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmh View Post
If finances are no object - there is a tendency to buy "the bestest with the moistest and the intended uses-as you noted are nothing like the radio was designed to offer.
Same with automobiles - it's just a human frailty.
I try very hard not to buy the moistest radio, LOL.

Jim
rcjets_63 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:17 PM
  #60
HoundDog
 
HoundDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Apache Junction AZ. WI 0WI8
Posts: 4,464
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

If U have no problem with 35 MHZ why in the world would U want to chance ... What part of "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
HoundDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:21 PM
  #61
rmh
 
rmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: , UT
Posts: 12,630
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Bottom line buy what YOU like .
As to it's superiority - that is in the eye of the beholder.
In case nobody has noticed
ANY of the current 2.4 systems have to conform with radiated power in each country .
They ALL work if properly powered and antennae are checked for clear signal reception
ANY OF EM
They all have to conform to the same laws/ regs
the electronics/chips and methods used are all very similar.
Price has little to do with this part of the radio
The various features of the tx are the biggest difference in systems
Which has the best features?
depends on what yo like to fly
The best choice for YOU may be relatively inexpensive and have all the reliability of stuff costing many thousands.
better yet - in a few short years these all lose value (sales price as used) Some very expensive ones loose a lot . A good choice in equipment cost in in say 300 to 800 dollars can give you a system perfect for your use with little fear of having a orphan in a year or so-
rmh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:16 PM
  #62
Loopman
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Duluth, GA
Posts: 788
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Gotta go with Futaba FAAST here. I was a JR/Spektrum user for many years but over the course of time lost 4 aircraft to unknown forces. I switched to a Futaba 8FG Super about a year ago and have had no issues whatsoever. And yes, I ran the gamut of why it was my fault that I lost the aircraft (battery selection, antenna placement, software upgrade..) Good Luck and Happy Holidays!
Loopman
Loopman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:26 PM
  #63
Falcon 64
Thread Starter
 
Falcon 64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,172
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
If U have no problem with 35 MHZ why in the world would U want to chance ... What part of "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
The freedom in frequency, to get telemetry and get rid of the ugly whip antenna on a scale jet.
Since I need 12 channels or more, I wanted to continue with a radio I know, and therefore bought a module to the one I have.
I now have 16 channels :-)
Falcon 64 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:47 PM
  #64
rmh
 
rmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: , UT
Posts: 12,630
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopman View Post
Gotta go with Futaba FAAST here. I was a JR/Spektrum user for many years but over the course of time lost 4 aircraft to unknown forces. I switched to a Futaba 8FG Super about a year ago and have had no issues whatsoever. And yes, I ran the gamut of why it was my fault that I lost the aircraft (battery selection, antenna placement, software upgrade..) Good Luck and Happy Holidays!
Loopman
You found what you like !
that is what counts
FWIW if you lost a plane and never found the reason why-why blame the radio?
rmh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:24 AM
  #65
Jetflyer3000
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: , UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 454
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quite Frankly all the 2.4 gig systems are better than 35 or 72 Meg. Even the Orange TX and RX's are excellent in certain applications.

I generally use Spektrum DMS2 and have done since the month it came onto the market
Jetflyer3000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:29 AM
  #66
fireblade5437
 
fireblade5437's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Leicester, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 908
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default



Mike

If you have another one break send it to me to fix, will not be $300.00!!!

Alan



Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2flyrc View Post
I agree that the service may be of concern, the importer should be able to explain the situation there. Pretty hard to beat Horizon Hobby or Futaba Service for service.

I broke an antenna connector on a Weatronic receiver last year. By the time I shipped it back to Germany, it cost me over $300 for the repair and shipping. Mind you, it is an $800 receiver so, it was certainly worth repairing. Probably a repair that Horizon would have done for free if only they carried the product. The Euro stuff is not for the faint of heart price wise but, there's no arguing the quality of it. It's not the typical, disposable Chinese junk that we're used to here. If you want something made to aerospace spec, you have to pay for it. And remember, we're in the jet forum here, where the models can be worth a lot of money.

As for the TX weight though, I don't see that as a shortcoming but as a positive, as I do prefer a heavier tx.

Mike
fireblade5437 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:53 AM
  #67
David Gladwin
 
David Gladwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CookhamBerkshire, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 3,252
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Had time to look at the Jeti specification. It looks like very good transmitter indeed. HOWEVER, so far, the Weatronics system has been all about its RECEIVERS and that is the fundamental difference between these two systems. The Weatronic receivers are full programmable, via Giga Control and it also greatly enhances the power of the TRANSMITTER , making a simple 9 channel receiver a capable as some 22 channel units. As an example I need only 11 channels of my JR12x to accomplish all the functions on my Hawks.

The ability to adjust every channel at 32 positions with 4096 points is, I believe, unmatched and IS very useful. The two hard linked servos on the Hawk stabs are perfectly matched, not close, not very close but perfectly ! Add to that integrated, fully programmable gyros, upto 8 voltage regulators and an incredibly robust Rf section plus full telemetry still make the Weatronics my system of choice.

I hold all our current 2.4 systems in very high regard and I doubt if there is one system which is best for ALL users and very often there is more than one way of skinning a cat.

Boeing and Airbus, BMW and Mercedes, for example, perform the same tasks in different ways to achieve the same results, all are highly succesful and appreciated by their users. Me, I'm a Boeing guy, flew them for 20 years, my son in law, ex Boeing but now an Airbus training captain, loves the 'bus, and a model jet flying mate, recently converted to Boeing's from Airbus thinks its like coming into the dark ages ! You make your choice !

I guess RC systems are the same.

I hope the forthcoming Weatronics tx is as good as their receivers . I have a beta test unit coming soon. We will see.

David.

PS. Another flying session yesterday at Wroughton. B cold and 66 % of us using Weatronics !
David Gladwin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:09 AM
  #68
ash 26
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: private, IRELAND
Posts: 412
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon 64 View Post
The freedom in frequency, to get telemetry and get rid of the ugly whip antenna on a scale jet.
Since I need 12 channels or more, I wanted to continue with a radio I know, and therefore bought a module to the one I have.
I now have 16 channels :-)
I don't quite get your point unless your M-Linki is not working well for you why do you think that you need to change to a different system with the new Profi TX going out to the dealers in the next weeks why not upgrade the MC 4000 then you will be up to date
ash 26 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:06 AM
  #69
Loopman
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Duluth, GA
Posts: 788
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmh View Post
You found what you like !
that is what counts
FWIW if you lost a plane and never found the reason why-why blame the radio?
Well, I did not want to go into the sordid details so let's just say Horizon owned up to one of the crashes. The others were "loss of signal", "brownout" whatever you want to call it. It was not a case of "dumb thumbs". So hard to convince some JR/Spektrum users otherwise, sort like trying to reason with a Zombie! (Ha Ha).
Loopman
Loopman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:42 AM
  #70
RUFTER
 
RUFTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tessenderlo, BELGIUM
Posts: 278
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

When I started using 2.4GHz I converted my Graupner MC 24 to Spektrum, I had 2 crashes with 2 different recievers/setups.
Turned out to be my HF-module from the Tx. Switched to Weatronic and never had any issues. I looked at the Jeti system too but they did not have the ability then to store the telemetry data like Weatronic did. 110 members at my club and I'm the only Weatronic user.
About 50% of our club uses Spektrum stuff and it works faultless, so I will not call it a bad system. I just got a module that was built on mondaymorning and slipped through QC. Have seen plenty of Futaba users having issues with their transmitters, not with FASST but bad potmeters on top of the line 12-14series transmitters, bad power connectors on 10-12 series.
The point is every brand has it's issues, and it would be naive to think yours doesn't.
Go with what YOU are comfortable with, not with what others say you will be comfortable with.

Regards, Bart.
RUFTER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:12 AM
  #71
Jeti USA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: , FL
Posts: 422
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFTER View Post
I looked at the Jeti system too but they did not have the ability then to store the telemetry data like Weatronic did. 110 members at my club and I'm the only Weatronic user.

Regards, Bart.
You might have a better look, because that just NOT true. Jeti always had option of storing data, now even you can Display ALL data directly on the screen.

Zb/Jeti USA
Jeti DS/DC-16 have capabilities to display all logged data directly on the transmitter LCD screen.





Last edited by Jeti USA; 11-25-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Jeti USA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:16 AM
  #72
Jeti USA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: , FL
Posts: 422
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjets_63 View Post
2) It would be nice if the aluminum transmitter case had enough room inside for my DC-16 tray and the Profi handheld telemetry box.

I've flown Futaba, JR, Multiplex, and Spektrum radios and have to say that the Jeti system is by far the best. That's why I wanted to be on the Jeti team. It's simply an awesome radio!

Regards,

Jim
Hi Jim,

It does, have a look at my radio with Tray.

Zb/Jeti USA


Jeti USA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:12 AM
  #73
RUFTER
 
RUFTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tessenderlo, BELGIUM
Posts: 278
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeti USA View Post
You might have a better look, because that just NOT true. Jeti always had option of storing data, now even you can Display ALL data directly on the screen.

Zb/Jeti USA
Jeti DS/DC-16 have capabilities to display all logged data directly on the transmitter LCD screen.

Not on their module system. Like I said I use a Graupner transmitter with a 2.4 module system. The Jeti DS- DC16 did not exist a that time. If I was able to buy a Jeti transmitter a that time I would probably have done it.

Regards, Bart.
RUFTER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:05 PM
  #74
JohnMac
 
JohnMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Leeds, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 1,386
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gladwin View Post
Had time to look at the Jeti specification. It looks like very good transmitter indeed. HOWEVER, so far, the Weatronics system has been all about its RECEIVERS and that is the fundamental difference between these two systems. The Weatronic receivers are full programmable, via Giga Control and it also greatly enhances the power of the TRANSMITTER , making a simple 9 channel receiver a capable as some 22 channel units. As an example I need only 11 channels of my JR12x to accomplish all the functions on my Hawks.

The ability to adjust every channel at 32 positions with 4096 points is, I believe, unmatched and IS very useful. The two hard linked servos on the Hawk stabs are perfectly matched, not close, not very close but perfectly ! Add to that integrated, fully programmable gyros, upto 8 voltage regulators and an incredibly robust Rf section plus full telemetry still make the Weatronics my system of choice.

I hold all our current 2.4 systems in very high regard and I doubt if there is one system which is best for ALL users and very often there is more than one way of skinning a cat.

Boeing and Airbus, BMW and Mercedes, for example, perform the same tasks in different ways to achieve the same results, all are highly succesful and appreciated by their users. Me, I'm a Boeing guy, flew them for 20 years, my son in law, ex Boeing but now an Airbus training captain, loves the 'bus, and a model jet flying mate, recently converted to Boeing's from Airbus thinks its like coming into the dark ages ! You make your choice !

I guess RC systems are the same.

I hope the forthcoming Weatronics tx is as good as their receivers . I have a beta test unit coming soon. We will see.

David.

PS. Another flying session yesterday at Wroughton. B cold and 66 % of us using Weatronics !
Hi David,
Weatronic is not the only system with programmable Rx's. I have been using the ACT system for about 6 years and this has programmable Rx's via a bluetooth link to an app on an Android phone. Works fine. So far as I can see the Jeti Rx's are programmable too via the Jeti Box. Much more convenient that a laptop.
John
JohnMac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:48 PM
  #75
hairy46
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sinclair, WY
Posts: 2,166
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Futaba for me, the 7c has been great, have 5 of them!
hairy46 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:16 AM.