Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Best transmitter system - 2,4 Ghz.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Best transmitter system - 2,4 Ghz.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:52 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the present systems will work -
How well they are setup is another thing
Examples where the user has problems of unknown source are meaningless to me .
My background includes time spent doing technical analysis of control failures resulting in injuries .
An explanation such as _it crashed for no reason or unknown reasons --is meaningless.
2.4 systems fail for generally two reasons: power loss or poor signal reception.
They don't stop and start for "no apparent reason".
Were you looking for some other answer?.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Jeti USA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rmh
My background includes time spent doing technical analysis of control failures resulting in injuries .
An explanation such as _it crashed for no reason or unknown reasons --is meaningless.
2.4 systems fail for generally two reasons: power loss or poor signal reception.
Exactly very well said. you NEED DATA, DATA, DATA....
Real time telemetry with downloadable log, should be standard with any high end radio system.

I learned the hard way almost lost my 30 lbs./6m Ventus 2cx, due to stuck retract servo. System just kept draining batteries and there is no way of finding out unless you have data.

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 11-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Falcon 64

Because datas you rhm have is "based on your background including time spent doing technical analysis of control failures resulting in injurie".
About time you tell us what to do, none of us want to be included in your datas or graphs.. Perhaps about time you show us the analysis too?

If not the first, I`ll switch to anything you say. Injure someone whith my flying thing, the most, least and creeping thought we have, I have..
And the yardstick still rules..?
Are you cidding us, just for the fun?

Step up and show us who really don`t know..

Last edited by Falcon 64; 11-28-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: add again..
Old 11-28-2013, 03:30 PM
xxspeed
My Feedback: (5)

I have been using the Jeti ds-16 for a few months now and I'm loving it. Easy to use and set up. There are sill a few things I have to learn yet but have all the basics taken care of. I turn the gimbals inward and switch the trim controls, both has a nice feel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	xx 244.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	1943182  
Old 11-28-2013, 03:52 PM
rmh

Originally Posted by Falcon 64
Because datas you rhm have is "based on your background including time spent doing technical analysis of control failures resulting in injurie".
About time you tell us what to do, none of us want to be included in your datas or graphs.. Perhaps about time you show us the analysis too?

If not the first, I`ll switch to anything you say. Injure someone whith my flying thing, the most, least and creeping thought we have, I have..

Basics: learn the specified operating parameters for your system and do tests to see if these performance parameters are in fact ,correct. .
Make every attempt to test your equipment's performance against these specifications .
If this is beyond your capabilities , ask for help.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Jeti USA

I shoved mine, now show yours. Keep it fun, it benefits all of us.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3140.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	1943211   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3108.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	815.7 KB
ID:	1943212  
Old 11-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Falcon 64

" time spent doing technical analysis of control failures resulting in injurie"

I knew it sorted out like this. Nothing to show us. Just a floating "commercial".
Basics said and the..quote: "learn the specified operating parameters for your system and do tests to see if these performance parameters are in fact ,correct. .
Make every attempt to test your equipment's performance against these specifications .
If this is beyond your capabilities , ask for help. ..."

Honestly, I think you and your secret research are nothing we have seen before, no offend, but the thread here is in the search of RELY to..
Capabilities...
I guess you are the one to listen to, we better cause you are sitting on datas we never have seen.
Speak up, in your reseach you found that, or . . we have a lack of knowhow to the systems we are coping whith..?

Is that what you are saying, meaning really saying..? We ground our jets because we don`t understand the capabilities the system offers?
Take your time, show us your result spending time in technical analysis of control failures resulting in injurie.

You make me veeery interested now I must say...
Not trying to convince othervice, but I think we need to be shown things you say, and not in words.
You have it in technical analysis.
And that`s good for us

Last edited by Falcon 64; 11-28-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Hey, while you engineers go on and on about which signal is best, laughing at some of us who change systems just because we can't determine the technical reasons for why one system crashes more than another, I would ask that some of you get a handle on the "King's English" and grammar. It's embarrassing having U.S. Engineers who can't spell. You can do the math but you are spell challenged! If you guys are crashing it's because you can't read the screen prompts on your radios.(Ha Ha).

Loopman
Old 11-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Falcon 64

Looping as a man, a 15-20k usd jet and..and and... I don`t see the fun of it either..
Old 11-28-2013, 06:08 PM
rmh

I suppose you are attempting to add some humor - in a varicose vein--

perhaps you missed the point of my comments : The use of your equipment is your responsibility-accept that and learn to use it.
If it won't do what you wanted it to do It's YOUR fault
If you want someone else to lead you thru deciding which equipment to buy and how to set it up and how to check it out ----
Look elsewhere.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Jeti USA

" time spent doing technical analysis of control failures resulting in injurie"

I knew it sorted out like this. Nothing to show us. Just a floating "commercial".
Basics said and the..quote: "learn the specified operating parameters for your system and do tests to see if these performance parameters are in fact ,correct. .

Honestly, I think you and your secret research are nothing we have seen before, no offend, but the thread here is in the search of RELY to..
Capabilities...

And that`s good for us
You did not get it, but let's try again. Please keep this civilized, we have same goal, keep our $10-20,000 models alive and well.

My model:
I DO not have to submit anything because if I have problem I HAVE the real time DATA (Rx Voltage, RX Signal Strength, Turbine ALARM, Fuel Level, Speed, Temperature....) and I DO make decision at the time of my problem (While Flying my model) and if I crash I HAVE data LOG and I CAN investigate my problem.

Your Model: You have Zip, NADA, Nothing, 00000, If you have problem all you can is guess. Have I lost receiver, power, turbine ??????

I hope it makes sense, it's not about that you cannot drive car without a seat belt. Of course you can, but if something happened I think you will not question yourself that not wearing seat belt was very good idea.

Zb/Jeti USA

Last edited by Jeti USA; 11-28-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Falcon 64

In my world.. (the MPX male world), things are as easy as you like. We have the nothing box!
( I don`t say you are a female in lack of interest..) BUT.. Keep things as simple as possible!, do not be disorientated of the female beside you, trying to convince you, you have to listen to ME to be safe.
All the fancy stuff can be read in an ordinary IRRS, ordinary telemetry, spoken of a spotter or an earplug.
We simply can`t take all the info upon us in a G-display, showing off.. Ordinary humans..
Yes, we can switch on and see the recorded, but we will NEVER be damn safe.

I started the thread in hope for us to find the best transmitted signal. There IS one, but NO one can tell.
Instead we have the features, THAT is the one to save you..the only thing the manufactures have left.

Well, I`m not that of a cind, and I suppose I`ll never be either.
Keep things simple & straight, avoid "failures resulting in injurie", and let others look over our jet, even if you won`t.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Jeti USA

I am sorry, but I truly do not understand what you are saying.
What does it mean? "(the MPX male world), things are as easy as you like. We have the nothing box!

There is NO 100% safe system and if you believe that there is one, I think it's like believing in "Trolls and Unicorns"

Last edited by Jeti USA; 11-28-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Falcon 64

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
You did not get it, but let's try again. Please keep this civilized, we have same goal, keep our $10-20,000 models alive and well.

My model:
I DO not have to submit anything because if I have problem I HAVE the real time DATA (Rx Voltage, RX Signal Strength, Turbine ALARM, Fuel Level, Speed, Temperature....) and I DO make decision at the time of my problem (While Flying my model) and if I crash I HAVE data LOG and I CAN investigate my problem.

Your Model: You have Zip, NADA, Nothing, 00000, If you have problem all you can is guess. Have I lost receiver, power, turbine ??????

I hope it makes sense, it's not about that you can not drive car without seat belt. Of course you can, but if something happened I think you will not question yourself it wearing seat belt was good idea.

Zb/Jeti USA
If you need a data logger to know what was the cause, you have the cause there on the spot!
YOU did not get it, Jeti. What do you really want to know if it stiffens and dies? The frames in lack of signal? That else could it be? And you could prevented it? Grow up!!
2,4 today is better, BUT YOU CAN`T BE 100%.
Basics in knowhow and hopefully an edge of it, system ok, range check. But we can be saved to buy an guardian angel, if we speak the language. Good to know! Jihaaa! Please keep this civilized..
One flight and read, we are taking model airplanes here, "yes we can", but in my world, the need for those systems are a general lack of how to do.
If yourè into jets, things are different, period.
If you happen to experience problems whith it, why not go basic like you learned from?

You have digital servos capable of 30 kg`s or more, CG is on the spot (thank`s to info&rcu :P ), batteries ok.
Why did this model convert to a total.?.
Is it interesting to read on a PC, you lost frames, signal reseption? Really?... If so, I`m lost......

Last edited by Falcon 64; 11-28-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:49 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Gentlemen, Gentlemen,

A bit of decorum please; it is Thanksgiving.

Falcon, I'm not sure that your references to the male brain, nothing box, and female brain (ZB, see link in post #122 on page 5) are adding to the clarity of your messages. You might want to discontinue their use and seek to simplify your posts to help us understand. As a Norwegian, you get full points for trying to put across you point in a another language but I think we are still having trouble understanding you.

rmh, I have truly attempted to understand what you are standing for or promoting. Alas, I have failed. My impression, rightly or wrongly is that you simply want to disagree with what anyone else says, regardless of their message.

Can we do our best to put forth understandable, logical statements based on facts.

Jim
Old 11-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Falcon 64

Originally Posted by rcjets_63
Gentlemen, Gentlemen,

A bit of decorum please; it is Thanksgiving.

Falcon, I'm not sure that your references to the male brain, nothing box, and female brain (ZB, see link in post #122 on page 5) are adding to the clarity of your messages. You might want to discontinue their use and seek to simplify your posts to help us understand. As a Norwegian, you get full points for trying to put across you point in a another language but I think we are still having trouble understanding you.

rmh, I have truly attempted to understand what you are standing for or promoting. Alas, I have failed. My impression, rightly or wrongly is that you simply want to disagree with what anyone else says, regardless of their message.

Can we do our best to put forth understandable, logical statements based on facts.

Jim
The "nothingbox" was purely ment as a comparison to the standard as MPX, and the screaming voice of the more complex brain can be heard if we listen, got it?. We (as a majority) want to "have the nothing box". Because we, make it complex a simple way.
As you certainly assured me, I`m not sure I understand the posts either, but if I did, some of them have lost the grip.
Tanks to all whith their contribution So far..
Which logical statements based on facts are seen yet, Jim?( thanks to the two describing) Other than boasting spesific utilities, waaay outside the thread?

Last edited by Falcon 64; 11-28-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:36 PM
OWIERK

Since I've had no issues om 35 Mhz, I suppose I'm the last one to get 2,4 as I just recently converted my MPX 4000 with a M-Link module. It runs a FHSS signal, but wonder what signal is commonly understood as the best?
Nobody has answered this question yet. Which signal system is best?
Spektrum/JR- DSM(2)
Futaba - FASST
ACCST

I have a Futaba 8UAP That I want to convert from 72Mhz to 2.4Ghz. The FRSKY (ACCST) Futaba module and receiver prices are pretty enticing since I'm not made of money but still want the added insurance of the 2.4Ghz systems.

Keith
Old 11-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Falcon 64

No body can answer it, which is the best.
But going Futaba is about the best you can go.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:32 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

, Jeti seemed like the answer for me.

I don't want to take this thread off topic but it seems to have run its course as far as the original question goes.

Jim since you seem to know Jeti perhaps you can help me understand a bit of it, I have looked at jeti's manuals and flowcharts and find them a bit confusing without actually having the equipment. I have some models with 20 servos etc, how do I control them using Jeti? The 18Rx with 2 satellites has 16 outputs, so does the Central box (100 or 200) allow for adding servos, for example input 1 can be mapped to outputs 1 and 2, input 2 mapped to output 3 and 4 and so on, with independent control of centres and travels for each output so that 1 incoming channel can be mapped to 2 aileron servos, 2 flap servos and so on? The Central boxes have a battery input so does that mean that batteries have to be carried for both the Rx and for the Central box?

tia
Harry
Old 11-29-2013, 01:33 AM
HarryC

No body can answer it, which is the best.
But going Futaba is about the best you can go.
If as you say nobody can answer it, how can you then answer it saying Futaba is best?
And what DATA do you have to back up that assertion?
Old 11-29-2013, 03:24 AM
Falcon 64

No claimed data at all. And I have no other experience in it than anyone else. If you disagree, you might have your reasons, then give him a better advice..
Old 11-29-2013, 04:02 AM
HarryC

No claimed data at all. And I have no other experience in it than anyone else. If you disagree, you might have your reasons, then give him a better advice..
I don't have to as I am not asserting that any one is better or best. But if you assert that Futaba is best you need to back it up, and with verifiable data not anecdote.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:52 AM
Falcon 64

No I don't have to back it up more than using the same as 80% of those around me. If I was in your position, that's what would happen.

Last edited by Falcon 64; 11-29-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:53 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Greetings David, I hope you have been well since we last chatted at the JWM.

In your post quoted above, you refer to only one of the ways that the Jeti system can be used (two receivers each controling half the control surfaces) to provide a redundant RF link. Possibly you saw this in one of the YouTube videos. With this setup, you are correct in that should one receiver fail, you would lose the controls driven by that receiver. You would still have the controls driven by the other receiver and that should allow you to get the plane back. While this isn't ideal, it's a lot better than a single receiver system where, if you lose the RF path in that receiver the plane is doomed.

There is a second, and a third method of taking advantage of Jeti's dual link system which you haven't described....

2) Using two receivers (a primary and a secondary each linked to a separate RF module in the transmitter) with single 3 wire servo wire running between them to provide PPM signal. The servos are plugged into the primary receiver which also serves as the power distribution system. The secondary receiver is essentially a satellite but provides all the information about all 16 channels to the primary receiver (even if the secondary receiver is only a low cost 5 channel receiver or an RSat). In the event of a failure of the RF link in either of the two receivers, the signals from the remaining receiver still provide full control over all servos.

3) Using two receivers and a power distribution system such as the Jeti Central Box or a PowerBox. The two Jeti receivers (which may be low cost 5 channel or RSats) are connected to the power distribution system to which all servos are connected. Should one receiver fail, the power distribution system still provides control of all servos using the signal from the remaining receiver. Some power distribution systems are programmable, have additional features (such as an iGyro), and additional output ports for servos. This setup is a dual path (not a single RF path like you said in your post) because each of the two receivers are linked to its own RF module in the transmitter.

I confess that have (very) limited experience with the Weatronics system as they are not all that common here in the US. You and Lance Campbell/Jerry Crow are the only two people I know who use it.

When I went looking for a new radio system (this past July & Aug), I looked at Weatronics. While their RF link and receiver programmability seemed quite good, there were other features which seemed lacking. I'm not a Wea expert (so some of this information may be dated/wrong - please correct me as required) but I didn't like the following aspects of Weatronics:
- their Gizmo Dual Path receiver with the 16 channels and up to 30 outputs is about the size of a brick (though half the thickness). It simply wouldn't fit into some of my planes (eg Mirage F1 which has a very narrow nose and very limited acces through the canopy)
- their Micro 12 receiver has only 12 channels/12 servo outputs (whereas I needed 14-18 channels/outputs)
- their DV4 transmitter module has voice telemetry output (certainly an improvement over Lance needing Jerry to read the signal strength data off a laptop during the initial flight testing of the SR-71 a couple of years ago). However, I'd need to mount the DV4 to the transmitter I was using at the time (DX-18) and that didn't appear to be easy nor rugged given the external RF cable. Also, there would be no visual output of the telemetry data (since the unit doesn't have a screen) so I'd have to use the smart phone app (similar to Spektrum) which isn't configurable and has analogue style gauges and is harder to read.
- If I wanted an all-in-one transmitter (as opposed to a separate transmitter & module), I had to wait for the BAT-60 which wasn't available (and still isn't available)
- There was very limited Weatronics support in the US and the radios had to go back to Germany for servicing.
- This may be an American thing, but not being a fan of either the University of California or the Naval Academy, I find the the blue and gold BAT 60 case to be a bit harsh on the eyes. A garnet and gold colored Tx would be a different story (go Florida State!!!)

As for Weatronic being a lower cost solution, doing a comparison of (what I believe are) roughly equivalent systems and using prices on the Weatronic and Espirt sites and an exchange rate of 1 Euro = 1.36 USD):
Weatronic Gizmo 22 HV = $636
2 x Jeti R5L + Central Box 200 = $345

Weatronic Micro 12 = $269
Jeti R14 + R5L = $195

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Weatronics. I'm just saying that, based on what I saw and compared, Jeti seemed like the answer for me. I'm happy for you that Weatronics is the system that works for you.

Regards,

Jim

Hi Jim, Yes I am v well after Meiringen, trust you guys are too. Had a wonderful time in Switzerland, what a great event.

To take up your points:

Yes, I did look at the youtube video about dual Rf links I didn't glean from the manual that the system you describe is possible.

The size of the Gizmo receivers is almost identical to a Powerbox Royal, which you suggest is one solution to the dual Rf system, in the Weatronics receiver everything, including gyros and GPS, is in one box.

If the Micro with only 12 outputs is insufficient then I connect it to a Powerbox as I have done in a big sailplane to increase servo outputs.The Micro 12 is capable of handling upto 10 amps with two batteries connected to opposite ends of the powerbus and I use a Micro 12 Gyro 111 with a powerbox sensor switch with twin batteries in my BVM F4.

Not really sure that you can compare the cost of the Wea receivers with the Wea because they contain lot more than the Jeti units. The programmability and extensive data down link is worth every penny (cent) to me.

The one aspect of Weatronics I dont like is that cable from Tx to RF module, its a potential weak link, but I handle it with care visually inspect often and no problems have been experienced, so far !

In essence I think the Jeti is a very fine system, (and I prefer the look of their Tx to the BAT 60) but after three years use of Wea with 13 receivers on 2.4 it offers features which I find extremely useful which Jeti doesn't, and I dont want to forgo those features.

Originally Posted by rmh

Exactly very well said. you NEED DATA, DATA, DATA....
Real time telemetry with downloadable log, should be standard with any high end radio system.

I learned the hard way almost lost my 30 lbs./6m Ventus 2cx, due to stuck retract servo. System just kept draining batteries and there is no way of finding out unless you have data.

Zb/Jeti USA

Hallelulja !!

What a breath of fresh air ! Been a strong advocate of robust power systems for years, easy on a model jet, TWO batteries. Sometimes I cant believe the rubbish (in that the logic, or lack of it is flawed) put forward to support a single battery system or the lack of understanding of how a dual power set up works. A single pack failure and its all over, dual batteries means a single pack failure is a non event. Its cheaper too, a dual battery system means packs can be left in service and changed "on condition" rather than regularly "as a precaution". Its one area where adding components increases the risk of a failure but virtully eliminates the chance of total failure.

In my days as an ETOPS captain on the 767 I really came to appreciate the changes, enhancements, to electrical systems to ETOPS aircraft and the increased redundancy created to further strengthen electrical power supplies to minimise or eliminate the consequences of various possible failures. Nowadays, the vast majority of aircraft crossing the Atlantic, for example, are ETOPS twins with super-robust electrical systems, all carefully checked before despatch.

Data, absolutely essential for systems monitoring and evaluation. Thats one of Weatronic's great assets (and Jeti ) it gives me the whole story of the entire radio system. As I saw at Meiringen there is nothing worse than a crash (I saw one plus two very near misses) and not knowing the cause. With both systems that's now history. One day ALL systems will be this way.

I am sure Futaba is a very good system indeed, but even the flagship 18MZ does not have some of the very valuable features of the Weatronic or Jeti system.

So what is the best system? Depends on what your requirements are ! For large complex models I still think Weatronics has the edge. perhaps the new Tx and version 2.63 software will allow it to increase that lead.

All the major 2.4 systems are fantastically good.

So what is the best system? Depends on what your requirements are ! For large complex models I still think Weatronics has the edge. perhaps the new Tx and version 2.63 software will allow it to increase that lead. Experience will show.

A very happy thanksgiving to my American friends.

David.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 11-29-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:32 AM
Jeti USA

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Hi Jim, Yes I am v well after Meiringen, trust you guys are too. Had a wonderful time in Switzerland, what a great event.

To take up your points:

Not really sure that you can compare the cost of the Wea receivers with the Wea because they contain lot more than the Jeti units. The programmability and extensive data down link is worth every penny (cent) to me.

A very happy thanksgiving to my American friends.

David.
Hi David,

You might have a better look at the Jeti Receivers.
ALL of them are Wirelessly programmable
ALL of them are 16 channels
ALL of the send DATA stream
ALL of them will do Satellite, Full, UDI, PPM + Servos, UDI + Servos mode
ALL of them have programmable Servo Pins
ALL of them have programmable Servo FailSafe

A very happy thanksgiving to everybody.

Zb/Jeti USA

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 240, bgcolor: white"]

[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]Fail-Safe Setting
Switches ON/OFF of the Fail-Safe function. If the Fail-Safe function is deactivated, there is no signal generated in any Central Box outputs at the signal loss. If you activate the Fail Safe function, you can also select how the Central Box responds at signal loss for each of the individual outputs. [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 240, bgcolor: white"]

[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]Servo Mapping
Servo No. - Assigning outputs of the transmitter to the Central Box outputs.
Group - Assigning specific output to the group of output impulses that will be generated [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.