Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster F-104 Assembly USAF style

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster F-104 Assembly USAF style

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 06:52 PM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dubd
Jason, how is your F-104 coming? I just maidened mine. I had the igyro turned off for the maiden flight. I'll fly with the igyro turned on for the next flight and let you know how the plane responded. I put the plane through a basic aerobatic routine for the maiden and there were no bad tendencies.
BIG CONGRATS DUBD! What CG did you use? I just saw the video and it looks great!
I'm fueling mine tonight to check for leaks.
I will update progress and build photos later this week.

Couple of items, Futaba has updated software for the 7008SB RX so if you are using an out of date version it will send Failsafe counts to the royal SRS if you have one. Thanks to Powerbox for detecting the issue. Wouldn't have known otherwise. I just ordered two new 7003SB receivers to cure the old software. Saves time as I'm nearing taxi test.

Also good news, a friend of a friend has started a spray chrome ( water process ) here in Tulsa so I won't have to ship my bird out for finishing.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:48 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Jason! I'm using BVM's CG, which is where the slat meets the wing.

When did Futaba update the software on the 7008 receiver? I assume this doesn't affect the connection, but just erroneous fail safe data, correct?

That's awesome about the paint. Looking forward to seeing yours done.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:11 PM
757Driver

Originally Posted by dubd
Thanks, Jason! I'm using BVM's CG, which is where the slat meets the wing.

When did Futaba update the software on the 7008 receiver? I assume this doesn't affect the connection, but just erroneous fail safe data, correct?

That's awesome about the paint. Looking forward to seeing yours done.
The update is unofficial like most things from them. Really frustrating but that is Japanese culture. Theyre not good at loosing face. Admitting fault.
You are safe to fly. Morse Aircraft had learned that the 7003's don't have the issue. The only downfall is that you can't measure the reception quality on the install.

CG. Thanks. Is this aft tape mark correct? The forward one is leading edge. Im using the stock thrust line. I dont see how that really affects CG.

Thread here
http://forum.powerbox-systems.com/vi...lit=7008#p4590
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	971.0 KB
ID:	2098695  
Old 05-25-2015, 10:55 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, it's the aft tape. Still using the Mammoth?
Old 05-26-2015, 04:57 AM
757Driver

Yes
Old 07-02-2015, 10:29 PM
757Driver

Guys I've been thrashing to get her airworthy. This is a video of the first taxi test to verify steering throws, trim, brakes, engine&pipe, fuel system, ect. I will post build stuff later. This has taken much longer than it should have but there have been many issues I've been unhappy with and wanted to correct. I'm a believer in building it once, the right way, no matter how long it takes. I'm excited about flight testing and am happy to report the wings are done except for programming throws.

The wings had parts gluing for taxi day so that's why there's no wings in this video.
At 6:45 she holds max power with full brake! Brake release with immediate throttle back and then brake application. It accelerates well with the Mammouth. The video sucks until about 6:20 so feel free to skip ahead. I use two steering rates selected by flap position and it takes several turns to get it the same right and left.

http://youtu.be/Up0NvTEj2Mc
The following users liked this post:
DenisFerrari (09-13-2020)
Old 07-03-2015, 03:36 AM
gapellegrini

Jason,

I will maiden mine this week. I spoke a lot with Peter Goldsmith about his 104 and he flies with the higher turbine configuration and 145mm from leading edge cg. I will probably maiden mine with 135/140mm cg. Peter's 104 is a great flyer. If you want I can give you the igyro gains later but I don't think will help too much because the gains are dependant on the throws. If I have more throw I will have less gain for the same results.

I agree with you that raise the turbine can't change the place cg but it looks like that with a heavier tail the plane have the tendency to go nose up at full power. Peter told me this. So if you re using a rear cg is better to raise the turbine.

BTW don't you want to put one details 4 scale After Burner on your 104? I have one spare and won't use.

Gabriel