Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Paint questions.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Paint questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:48 AM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint questions.

I know this has been discussed in many forums but I am looking for a few ideas for paint. I have been an Omni/PPG user for my bigger projects but am interested in trying a simpler (one step) and perhaps less toxic option on my next project.

I will use my minijet fro application. I have used modelmaster for several trim pieces but it is easily wiped away after exposure to fuel. Most of the spots I painted would never have fuel (nose, top of rudder) but I wondered what others are doing to make this fuel proof (kero)? I did clear some of it with modelmaster clear but it changes the base coat slightly in color.

I appreciate any advice,
Dave
Old 11-27-2013, 12:03 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

My YA F-15 (pics in my gallery) is painted entirely with Model Master and then cleared with LusterKote (spelling ?) flat clear from a rattle can. I don't think I would try to paint anything larger with this paint, though. The clear is fuel proof.

The Turbinator (also in my gallery) was painted with Latex paint and cleared with Klass Kote flat clear. The main thing with latex is patience.....patience.........patience.

Last edited by grbaker; 11-27-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:25 PM
tobba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me Ralle's paints are fantastic at www.tailormadedecals.com. They are reasonably priced, he will mix any colour you're after and will ship small amounts. He also has a pile of literature available about his process that is priceless.

They are 1pk base coat paints with a 1:1 paint/thinner ratio... so simple. Then a 2pk or 1pk clear on top.

And to top it off he is about as nice a chap as you could ever wish to deal with!
Old 11-27-2013, 12:41 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

By one step, you mean single stage (no clear), or works right out of the bottle?

David
Old 11-27-2013, 05:05 PM
ddennison

I was thinking one step _ paint that would not require clear coat.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:44 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Try PPG Concept DCC, it's probably as glossy as you can get without clear. Ive used it with very good results. Very user friendly and excellent coverage.

I've also airbrushed it with a small Pasche pen, and it is just as good.

David

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	********colors.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	1943048  

Last edited by FalconWings; 11-27-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rustoleum has the best rattle can paint on the market IMO. You can Decanter it and use it in you air gun. Would give a much better finish if spayed with an airgun vrs rattle can. It can also be sanded and polished 48hr later. Also their Clear coat does not seem to change in tint. Stays crystal clear.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:55 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Dave,
I just refurbished a vintage BVM Viper to match my Bandit using testors enamels through my airbrush. All paint, no stickers, etc.
For the clear I used spraymax 2k gloss clear in a rattle can. Its a 2-part clear that mixes inside the can when you activate it. http://www.spraymax.com/index.php?id=361&L=1
Took 2 cans to spray the entire model in multiple light coats. Not sure you'd want to paint anything larger than the viper in this method. My preference would be PPG clear through my gun but I wanted something quick and simple in my garage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	776.0 KB
ID:	1943050  
Old 11-28-2013, 07:13 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FalconWings
By one step, you mean single stage (no clear), or works right out of the bottle?

David
By one step (pk as he says), he means its air-dry, i.e., no activator. They still need to be clear coated.

The DCC paints mentioned above are single stage, i.e., they don't need a clear coat and are also gloss on their own. They are less work, as you only have to paint once, but as a truly amateur painter, I've had better results with basecoat - clear coat. The basecoat is *easy* to work with and you can fix all of your mistake easily. The clear is a PIA, but you can buff it if you screw it up...

Bob
Old 11-28-2013, 07:42 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Wont all clears change the basecoat color or look to some degree? beyond ambering I mean. Getting a good match to some existing color with a paint you will be clear coating has always been difficult to me.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:55 AM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by Vettster
Rustoleum has the best rattle can paint on the market IMO. You can Decanter it and use it in you air gun.
So how do you get it out of the spray can into the little glass air gun jar? Or can you buy Rustoleum in a can with no spray nozzle?
Old 11-28-2013, 08:05 AM
shepp

I have decanted rattle can paint by spraying it through a straw into the airbrush bottle. It can be messy but works . I have also punched a small ( very small) hole in the top of the can to release propellant and then enlarge to pour out paint. This can get really messy especially if you punch too big of a hole ( how do it know that lol) either way you can get a lot better finish through the airbrush. Luster-kote is really nice to paint this way.
hope this helps

shepp
Old 11-28-2013, 08:52 AM
ddennison

Thanks guys,
i have to admit that despite the 53 pieces to paint that base/clear has worked well for me, just a bit of work. I did the last plane in one long weekend.
My old school way, coached by a master in MN, was buying a few base colors and mixing myself for the right sprayed and dried color. Then base coat, graphics and dusting the clear on. I will probably do it again that way, I just would like a good fresh air source while doing all of that too. If I am lucky I might be able to use a car paint shop booth again...
Old 11-28-2013, 11:07 AM
rhklenke

Originally Posted by dbsonic
Wont all clears change the basecoat color or look to some degree? beyond ambering I mean. Getting a good match to some existing color with a paint you will be clear coating has always been difficult to me.
The PPG clear I have used does tend to brighten the colors if its gloss, but I have not noticed *any* ambering in either the PPG gloss or Flex N' Flat clear I have used. The white basecoat always comes out just as white under the clear as before its applied - in fact, the clear on top of the white is hard to see when you are spraying it...

Bob
Old 11-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oliveDrab
So how do you get it out of the spray can into the little glass air gun jar? Or can you buy Rustoleum in a can with no spray nozzle?
Invert the can. Press button till all pressure is gone. Lay can on its side and punch a hole at the top and bottom of the can. Pick up the can flat and level with the holes at the top and poor into an empty jam jar or any jar with a wide mouth. To transfer to your airbrush.. just use a turkey baster to extract what you need.

Not sure if you can buy it in a can, but it would need to be thinned if you did.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:26 PM
RSO

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ddennison
Thanks guys,
i have to admit that despite the 53 pieces to paint that base/clear has worked well for me, just a bit of work. I did the last plane in one long weekend.
My old school way, coached by a master in MN, was buying a few base colors and mixing myself for the right sprayed and dried color. Then base coat, graphics and dusting the clear on. I will probably do it again that way, I just would like a good fresh air source while doing all of that too. If I am lucky I might be able to use a car paint shop booth again...
Dave, Google "Hobbyair" for a good fresh air system. They offer a fresh air source with choices of half mask, full mask, or full hood options, as well as full body suits, and hose lengths. Several vendors offer their equipment.

Jerry
Old 11-29-2013, 03:39 PM
ddennison

Thanks Jerry!
Building another Hog!
Old 11-29-2013, 04:05 PM
rcand

I agree. I have done touch ups with DCC on a plane that was clear coated with PPG 2021 and the gloss was a match.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:46 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Is DCC catalyzed (with isocyanates)?
Old 11-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Matt,
DCC is catalyzed. I use nothing but DCC with DX61 hardener.
Here's the literature for it: http://www.tcpglobal.com/docs/ppgdccp.pdf

Here's the MSDS: http://msdssearchengine.com/local_msds.php?id=43140
Old 12-02-2013, 02:36 PM
dbsonic

Can anybody verify that if you shoot Concept DCC without hardner that in time it will eventually "cure" and have a gloss to it?
Old 12-02-2013, 06:19 PM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DCC will never cure without the catalyst. It will air dry as the solvent evaporates but will never cure - huge difference. No durability, no chemical resistance and limited gloss retention.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:08 PM
dbsonic

agree, cure was not the right term. Reason I ask is Omni (no catalyst) will dry quite nicely, holds up well but of course its not gloss or has very little gloss characteristic.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:30 PM
rhklenke

Originally Posted by dbsonic
agree, cure was not the right term. Reason I ask is Omni (no catalyst) will dry quite nicely, holds up well but of course its not gloss or has very little gloss characteristic.
I'm picking nits here, but Omni is a paint line, not a specific paint type. Omni is PPG's mid-price (and mid-quality) paint line. You can get base coats, clear coats, or single stage paints (catalyzed) in the Omni line.

Concept is the name of the single stage paint in the PPG Delron line, which is their top-of-the-mark paint line. I have used both Delron base coats/clear coats, Concept single stage, and Omni base coat/clear coats. I'm a seriously amateur painter, and I've found that Omni paints are perfectly sufficient for my meager skills, so I've taken to using that as a more economical alternative to the Delron line. I've also tried the Dupont Nason mid-line paints (single stage), but I liked the Omni better.

As I said above, for me, base coat/clear coat is easier to work with. Only the final clear coat uses the really nasty stuff and only the final clear coat needs real care to get right - and even that can have the mistakes sanded and buffed out. Plus, you can shoot the clear over the decals too, which improves their look and durability.

Bob
Old 12-03-2013, 07:22 AM
shepp

For what its worth, I'm preparing to paint a large Futura this spring and I wanted to try some "Concept" that I had on hand. The paint is over 10 years old as was the DU4 hardner. It thinned fine and sprayed through an airbrush perfect. I was really fooled as I though at least the hardener would be bad. Not so, it is still good. I have a nearly a quart of vermillion and over a quart of black. So I think I have saved a lot of money. lol. Probably will purchase new hardener.
Shepp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.