Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Large Skymaster F4 install pics

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Large Skymaster F4 install pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 01:24 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Large Skymaster F4 install pics

I have searched all the posts regarding the large F4 from Skymaster but, there are very few installation pics on RCU. I'm in the process of assembling one at the moment and hoping that some members can share their install pics or point me to some good ones.

I have my own ideas eg. all turbine equipment on the tray above the main fuel tank, radio equipment on a tray on the floor behind the nose gear but, would like to see how others have it laid out as well.

Particularly interested in how you've rigged the small nose gear door to retract. Skymaster suggests cabling it to the nose gear, I don't like that option. I'm sure someone's done it better.

TIA

Mike
Old 11-27-2013, 02:51 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Great airplane. I'll post some pics for you when I get to it.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:58 PM
luv2flyrc

Nice scheme! Thanks, would appreciate it!

Mike
Old 11-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Flynstuff
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll post some when get back to the office.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Flynstuff
My Feedback: (29)

Here yah go Mike

https://www.rcturbinejets.com/instal...-photos-1.html

Last edited by Flynstuff; 11-27-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:17 PM
luv2flyrc

Thanks Jeff,

Those are some great shots, gives me some new ideas

Mike
Old 05-01-2014, 06:52 AM
luv2flyrc

Almost done rigging the Phantom and I've saved the best for last; rigging the gear doors

Doors came hinged but, I didn't order the install kit as i figured I'd use better quality after market stuff. I'm having a challenge with the air cylinders on the small inner main gear doors. I'm trying to use Robart 168's there and there's not enough room to mount them as the wheel is so close to the gear door opening the cylinder won't fit in between. The Skymaster OEM cylinders must have a much small diameter than 3/8"?

Also, even if I was able to get the cylinder in there, the geometry looks to be so poor that the gear door would surely pull open during flight. Anyone experiencing this problem with the F4 gear doors?

If anyone has some close up pics of their gear door install, I would much appreciate it. I'd also like to see what you have done to attach the small nose gear door to the nose gear strut.

Thanks

Mike
Old 05-01-2014, 07:12 AM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

I'm using the SM supplied cylinders on the inner main gear doors. They are attached to the former at the rear of the door opening. I've never experienced an issue with them opening in flight.

As for the small nose door, I just let the air stream push it closed...same as the KingCat nose door. It's worked fine for over 100 flights.

Wishing you the best with your Rhino! You'll love flying it.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:29 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Mike regarding the small nose gear door, I simply hinged it with a dubro flat hinge and allowed the air stream to close it in flight. Think kingcat nose gear door. Works great, stays closed in flight and opens when the nose gear comes down. You simply put a piece of lite ply / balsa whatever you desire to create a bumper so it doesn't jam on the nose gear strut.

Not scale perhaps but functional, reliable and executes the KISS principle wonderfully.

The small outer gear door for the mains is a PITA but nothing a small piece of wire and simple geometry can't fix. Years ago Dave Presta actually installed a small servo in the wheel well. The main gear inner wheel doors are also challenging to get the geometry / air cylinder stroke in the correct position but once again trial and error. I supplemented the air cylinder geometry with small rare earth magnets on the inside to assist in keeping the doors closed in flight. Worked great

Can't argue when the stuff is simple / reliable / functional and provides easy maintenance.

sorry no install pix any longer but here's some motivation
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F4 low and mean.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1991687   Click image for larger version

Name:	take off.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1991688   Click image for larger version

Name:	SVF 11 June 014.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1991689  
Old 05-01-2014, 10:15 AM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Wow Rav that is one Be-uteiful Rhino. Do you still have it?
Old 05-01-2014, 11:00 AM
luv2flyrc

Ok, thanks for the feedback guys, I'll continue to "play" with the geometry tonight. I like the idea of just letting the airstream push the nose door up too. I may see if I can hang a magnet there somehow to keep it closed during transport otherwise, I know I'll knock it off

Mike
Old 05-01-2014, 12:36 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

LoL. A piece of tape works. Just be sure to make it obvious there's tape down there. Ask me how I know. LoL

best flying phantom out there next to BVs battle tank!