Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

NEW Aerobatic Sport Jet "Rebel" from Pirotti Models Italy

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

NEW Aerobatic Sport Jet "Rebel" from Pirotti Models Italy

Old 04-20-2016, 03:25 AM
Quandry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a quick size comparison to the regular size Xcalibur - wing boom to wing boom (maybe I should have put on the tail - oops )

Some quick assembly pics out the back:

Mine is in white gelcoat because I have a custom paint scheme that will be applied. First though time to order parts, assemble and fly!!
Old 04-20-2016, 01:04 PM
Si_B

Keeping posting your updates. Going to be a few months before I have time to assemble mine (picture on page 2).

Simon
Old 04-21-2016, 02:38 AM
Quandry

Originally Posted by Si_B
Keeping posting your updates. Going to be a few months before I have time to assemble mine (picture on page 2).

Simon
Your scheme looks great Simon!

I've some parts on order, and more to order.... so my build will start a few weeks from now at a guess but I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in
Old 04-26-2016, 05:09 AM
Quandry

I've ordered a bunch of parts over the past few days:
* Retracts
* Servos
* Wiring and connectors
* Fuel line and taps
* Bubble trap/ Header Tank

Nothing has arrived yet but hopefully should see some bits arrive by Friday - we have a three day weekend coming up so I hope to get the build started in earnest!
Old 04-26-2016, 11:15 AM
Si_B

Which bubble trap did you opt for? Got to work on the bank holiday

Simon
Old 04-27-2016, 01:54 AM
Quandry

Which bubble trap did you opt for? Got to work on the bank holiday

Simon
I have been a big fan of the GBR Jets CAT trap, but went for an Intairco 175ml Super Trap this time around. No real reason why, just wanted to try something different

It's not arrived yet but when it does I'll take some dissasembly pictures.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:56 AM
Si_B

Great minds think alike. Just saving my pennies at the moment. It's the last piece I need before I get started.

Simon
Old 04-27-2016, 06:02 AM
Quandry

A couple of bits just in the post. Intairco links, clevises, ball pivots and fuel tank fittings. Servos are more essential to start the build but this stuff will come in handy pretty quick. I might change over the fuel tank fittings tonight as the Hysol takes a couple of days to go off properly.

If anyone wants any close up photos of this stuff just ask.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:04 PM
Si_B

Please post any assembly pictures as you go along. You can never have too much info on an installation and there always seems to be some little detail that I can learn from or adapt.

Maybe I'm biased...........
Old 04-28-2016, 03:17 AM
Quandry

Pictures and detail - happy to assist

My Rebel kit came with a CM jets tank. I like Carlos's stuff, but this tank has the budget fittings and I wanted to have some Intairco bling. I think you can order with the better fittings but I have this one so decided to retrofit...

When I opened out the tank I found that the clunk and lines are already assembled. Neatly done safety wire and tube extension to stop fold back, however I found it looked a little long to my eye. I'll rework it when I finish assembling the tank and will also change over to a felt clunk.

I really like these Intairco fittings they have a very 'tight and light' feel to them and going festo everywhere makes assembly/disassembly a breeze.

I trim down the vent fitting to minimise any trapped air when filling, and also scuff up the areas that the Hysol will stick to

I needed to do a very minor grind to get the fittings to fit, but kept it pretty tight ensuring to lap some hysol around the hole before pushing home the fittings. This gives a nice sealing bead effect on the inside and outside, once this is fully cured nothing is pulling those fittings out of there bar a dremel. Normally I would put my tank vent at the back of the jet to ensure there's no siphoning effect on the ground when tipping the jet tail up, however there's no room for the vent at the back when the tank is in the Rebel so I'll just route the vent back over the tank and down - should do the same job.

So the tank fittings are drying in place and I've a few more little bits arrived in the post, this time it's connectors and pins from UK Jet Shop - those guys ship FAST!!

I have a little ways off tackling any wire crimping yet though, so in the interim I'm eyeing up a Dremel tile cutting disc. I'm planning on going with sequenced nose retract doors and I want the tolerances to be tight and this is the thinnest disc I can find.

I'm also on the lookout for a hole saw to cut out the wheel well openings, not 100% sure what I will use here as standard wood hole saws look way to aggressive for the wing surface. Will see what I can find but if anyone has any suggestions let me know!
Old 04-29-2016, 02:44 AM
Quandry

Electron retracts came in today, will be fun stuff to play with this weekend...

Old 04-29-2016, 04:45 AM
gbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just received the tracking number on mine.
Can't wait!
Old 04-30-2016, 12:31 AM
cmjets

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Hello all, yes, excellent election for install in my tank, now I will install this stuff in all my products, I will offer too INTAIRCO Air Trap in all versions and sizes.
Visit my web for news:
www.cmjets.com
Regards from Spain.
Carlos
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	2484
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	2160055  

Last edited by cmjets; 04-30-2016 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:46 AM
cmjets

... And all tanks in Kevlar !!!!

3L kerosene + 1.5L smoke tanks !!!

Views:	2490
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	2160059  
Old 04-30-2016, 06:09 AM
Si_B

Is that smoke tank for the Rebel?

Simon
Old 04-30-2016, 06:16 AM
cmjets

Hello Simon, yes ! For Rebel, I have too the smoke tank for Pro version.

Views:	2602
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	2160084  
Old 05-03-2016, 12:43 AM
Quandry

Well I had big ideas of cracking on to the Rebel build this weekend, unfortunately had issues with another jet though and spent the whole weekend troubleshooting that :/

Anyone else get any Rebel building or flying in?

Geoff
Old 05-05-2016, 05:20 AM
Quandry

My Intairco super trap turned up

Certainly looks nice, hopefully it works just as well as it looks where air bubbles come in - we shall see!

Geoff
Old 05-05-2016, 05:43 PM
gbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine showed up on my doorstep this morning . Unfortunately I'm at Joe Nall for the next week. Might be a while before I get a chance to get started.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:38 AM
Quandry

Originally Posted by gbarnes
Mine showed up on my doorstep this morning . Unfortunately I'm at Joe Nall for the next week. Might be a while before I get a chance to get started.
If you see Rebel(s) flying at Nall then you will be tearing in to the build when you get back I bet!!

My update: I've been waylaid fixing another jet, that is nearly done so I figured I'd finish off the Rebel fuel tank last night. I have found the felt clunk to be a good option for jet models. They tend to scavange up every last drop of fuel due to the material, and also seem to reduce the ingress of air in to the fuel lines as the felt itself acts as a sort of buffer (albeit a very minor one). So I dug out a new felt clunk and started the tank assembly. When I removed the element to check everything was ok, I realised that the feed ID was a good bit tighter than the stock pickup. (As a sidenote I believe Carlos is now offering even larger pickups - I might look at one down the track - felt option??) I have used the standard felt clunk with 100 size turbines with not problem, but as I'm hoping to put a 140 in Rebel Etron I figured I would like to enlarge the hole a couple of sizes.

So the first job was to dig out the drill bits, clamp the fitting and bore out a bigger ID. There's not a huge amount of meat to play with in the fitting so slow and steady wins the race here:

Then making sure everything was well cleaned out and smooth of metal shavings, I put the whole lot back together with some large size tygon, checked and adjusted the clunk for length in the tank and then safety wired it down.

The final step was to install the festo elbows with a drop of blue loctite on the threads and sinch them up every so much with a mini spanner

Doesn't look like much but took me through to the end of the night (with a cup of tea and radio playing in the background). Tonight I hope to get a look in at the Rebel elevator halves and maybe start marking out for cutting...

Geoff
Old 05-07-2016, 01:10 PM
Si_B

Got the rest of my parts so hoping to make a start in the next week or so. I'm going with a Jetmunts 100 so don't think I can go down the smoke route due to added weight. Mine had the factory install so retracts and wiring loom are already in.

Simon
Old 05-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Nev01

Hi Simon, I thought you may have been to Long Marston this weekend, sadly I'm working. I'm watch this thread with interrest.
Regards Nev.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:59 PM
Si_B

Can't believe we still haven't met up since having a chat at Green Acres nearly 2 years ago. My Xcalibur racked up it 60th flight last weekend !!

I'm hoping to go to Long Marston tomorrow. Can't do Saturdays as I have to work teaching maths to the future generations !!

Simon
Old 05-07-2016, 02:11 PM
Nev01

My Xcalibur had its first and only flight (so far) at Long Marston last October, Dave Wilshere test flew it for me, I could have a go at flying it at my local club but my lack of experience puts me off. I'm hoping to take my B test this year so I can fly at JMA meets in the future.

Have a good day tomorrow if you can make it, weather looks good.

Nev.

Last edited by Nev01; 05-07-2016 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-09-2016, 01:34 AM
Quandry

Got the rest of my parts so hoping to make a start in the next week or so. I'm going with a Jetmunts 100 so don't think I can go down the smoke route due to added weight. Mine had the factory install so retracts and wiring loom are already in.

Simon
The Merlin 100 is a light weight engine for it's class, maybe you could run a smoke system and just have slightly longer takeoffs?

Interesting that you got factory installed retracts, are they the Electrons or are they an air setup?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.