Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Is there a problem with Jetcat turbines?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Is there a problem with Jetcat turbines?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:46 PM
GhostRider 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a problem with Jetcat turbines?

I was looking through the turbines 4sale on RCU and noticed there are 17 turbines 4sale and 13 of them are jetcat. Why is everyone unloading the Jetcats?
Old 12-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably just a game of numbers. There are probably more jetcats out there than any other brand of turbine. Also jetcat also seems to update their turbines every couple of years. Just in the past few years you have had the SE,SX,Now RX. So a lot of people unload their older models to get the latest and greatest. Just my guess that's all
Old 12-08-2013, 12:23 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Concur, I wouldn't read much into that.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:05 AM
derrickxp8103
My Feedback: (80)

If I had the extra cash....I would buy all of the ones for sale on rcu.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:12 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

It's probably a safe bet that Jetcat worldwide has sold close to as many of their turbines as the combined rest of the industry currently offering products. P-80 sales alone are in the thousands I have been told since it's inception...

As was said in an earlier post...it's probably just a numbers game.

Beave
Old 12-08-2013, 06:55 AM
rcand

Originally Posted by Dieselman1220
Probably just a game of numbers. There are probably more jetcats out there than any other brand of turbine. Also jetcat also seems to update their turbines every couple of years. Just in the past few years you have had the SE,SX,Now RX. So a lot of people unload their older models to get the latest and greatest. Just my guess that's all
I agree, just coincidence. The only thing I noticed is that the rated thrust is not what they advertise, at least not on the P160 I had whaen compared to other brands in the 36 pound class
Old 12-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the customers are sick of paying for a Product that is supposed to be German quality only to get the turbines with parts manufactured in China. Example. Fuel pump.
They mite also be sick of the 2-3 month wait and god knows how long for a service.
Hopefully if AMT are listening they will make there bullet proof turbine in a little smaller can.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:44 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You assume that if people are selling an engine it's not any good?? Maybe they're selling it to buy a bigger jetcat!

Mike
Old 12-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's Christmas. There's always people looking for a little extra cash this time of year and there's lots of engines out there gathering dust..
Old 12-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Dig it

I have two Jetcat turbines, one which I purchased used. I firmly believe the best value in the entire RC community is used turbines. Given a servicing from Jetcat they perform flawlessly. Maybe its just that they aren't as shiny as when they were first purchased.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:56 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Speaking for my own experience, i am about to put up for sale a few of my Jetcat turbines, P--60, P-120, P-120SE, Titan SE, (some of them brand new in the box and other with less than 1 hour runing time) to buy new..... Jetcat turbines!!!

regards,
Old 12-09-2013, 05:11 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Dig it
I have two Jetcat turbines, one which I purchased used. I firmly believe the best value in the entire RC community is used turbines. Given a servicing from Jetcat they perform flawlessly. Maybe its just that they aren't as shiny as when they were first purchased.

I agree, but this is assuming the person you buy it from is honest.

I have 4 used engines, and 2 of them were GREAT !! They were exactly as advertised, and run perfect. (the other 2 were not so great)

My Wren was advertised as "Recently serviced" and "Runs Perfect". But after I got it, the bearings were toast.

And finally... my Falcon was advertised as "Bench Run Only" from a reputable person. But when I got it, half the parts were missing, the ECU was burnt out... and I found out it was crashed twice, and in a fire !!!!!!!!!!!! (so, the add was a flat out lie) Fortunately for me, Eric Clap took pity on me, and really helped me out to get it in running order. (Eric gives GREAT customer service)

Because of that... when buying a used engine... have the seller send it to the service point, and have them inspect it before sending your $$$ to the seller. I don't own a JetCat, but all the other companies I've dealt with are happy to give it an inspection, and act as an "Escrow" point. Yes... it may cost you an extra $25 in shipping... but it's worth it.

FYI: Both of my "Bad" engines came from people I thought I could trust.

Last edited by Dr Honda; 12-09-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:16 AM
josecilurzo

Conspiracy theory, by the lastest events about P180RX and, KINGTECH advent.
I never had problems with ours JETCATS ( 12 ), the only problem that i had with P80SE nib, JETCAT BRAZIL changes for an P90RXI in 2 days!!!.
The engine is perfect ( for me!!! ), we have around 350 hours run time with our engines, the starts and running, are very, very smooth, reliable.
I had problems with JETCAT last 2008, the support of Bob was below the quality of engine, i told at this time, and, the community omitted opinion, but, when great guys on support of turbines was born ( Barry, Ron, Eric ), the community shifted!!!
Good for us in my opinion.
But, now JETCAT has an GREAT NEW OWNER, JOHN REDMAN, well, nib or used, my option is JETCAT.

jOSE
Old 12-09-2013, 06:56 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What Im looking at is the fact these used Jetcats are almost the same price as new KingTec's, I check every day as Im in the market for a 22 pound turbine.

But if you look at the fact most of these Jetcats are selling for $1k-1,500 cheaper than new, then in a few years when these King Tec's and othere resonably prices turbines start hitting the used market, there prices should be more in reach for those who are a little less $$ as otheres.

But you don't see them much... Its hard, when your looking at a used P80 for $1,600 and I know for $400 more I can by a new King Tec with a life time warrenty, You would think this would bring the used prices down even farther.

But you never know, I know the AMT 180's were big $$ new, but I got 3 of them for $425-500 each. Wich I think is a good price for an heavy older Air Start turbine. But I was looking for one more and the guy had a nice used one that he would only sell for $1,500.. Come on for that price I would be better off with a lighter P80 that can still be worked on here in the US. As AMT Netherlands wants almost 1K for shipping and bearing service. Wich was probly a good pice back in the day.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:48 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

The biggest problem with Jet Cat Turbine is that now that is legitimate competition from other vendors who are introducing power an reliable engines to the market, for the most part I don't see the reason to pay the premium for Jet Cat when there are vendors like King Tech, Behotec and others that have turbines with great support and just as good or better warranties.

You could not say the same 5 years ago, it was jetcat and that's pretty much it. AMT had no longer had U.S. support, I think Jet Central was still gaining market share, the same for wren turbines.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

I was going to say the same thing that Disco and Mike said. It's hard to justify $1500 for a used P-80 when a new KingTech is $1700~$1800. (with a warranty)

A couple other things come to mind....

1) When you buy a used Jet Cat.... you need to ask if it comes with a data terminal. If it doesn't, that will cost you another $100 or more. AND, on that note, ask if it comes with everything to run it. That's a question to ask anyone selling a used engine, but for some reason I've seen a bunch of Jetcats listed as just the engine... or engine and ECU. (no pump, valves, etc)

2) You have to ask what version engine it is !!!! With something like a P-80... I think there has been at least 4 versions. (The original blue, Purple, SE, and SX ?) Also, propane, or Kero start. Basically... you have to match the asking price to what version it is.

Last edited by Dr Honda; 12-09-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:32 PM
cyphur01

No sx p-80. P90rxi is replacement.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:11 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've purchased two used Jetcats, have worked perfectly, never needed to be sent in. Now if the new one I ordered would work….LOL
Old 12-10-2013, 12:23 AM
Propellars

Thank you for this thread! I’m also having second thoughts on buying a new Jetcat.
I was very close to purchasing a P140RX a week ago, but when I searched for experiences at RCU, I backed out. I always believed in Jetcat, and my two P80SE works flawless. But the more I search, the more issues I find with the RX models. Not many, but too many – and I’m just not ready for a turbine that might give me problems – even if the probability is low.
I know I will find issues on almost all components if I search deep enough, that’s the downside of the internet
Old 12-10-2013, 01:04 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoWings
The biggest problem with Jet Cat Turbine is that now that is legitimate competition from other vendors who are introducing power an reliable engines to the market, for the most part I don't see the reason to pay the premium for Jet Cat when there are vendors like King Tech, Behotec and others that have turbines with great support and just as good or better warranties.

You could not say the same 5 years ago, it was jetcat and that's pretty much it. AMT had no longer had U.S. support, I think Jet Central was still gaining market share, the same for wren turbines.
John Redman running the show at JetCat is reason enough for me. You won't find a better guy in the industry IMO.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:53 AM
tobba

I think most manufactures are doing their best to get it right and build us solid engines.

I believe we're pushing the boundaries of both available materials and manufacturing techniques pretty damn hard and with that just has to come a few fails. My old man was an aircraft engineer in RNZAF on A4's and he thinks I'm pulling his leg when I talk about 2000 r's per second... "I'm standing back a bit further" I think was his last throw away comment.

If we take a look at where we were a decade ago I think we're doing OK. Without businesses taking risks and pushing those boundaries we would maybe have only come half as far. In saying that I think one the best places a business can develop a point of difference is through their level of service, which at the end of the day is surely a measure of how hard they back their products.

Of course we all hope we're not the guy that gets to prove there's a problem, but if things are sorted in a professional manner and within a sensible warranty mentality, I think we all benefit. I've managed to be that guy a couple of times this year with two rounds of engine issues and have had brilliant service from JC in Europe. I would buy another JC engine - I think they understand their business pretty well and are doing a good job of sorting any issues they have. For me I like their focus on simplicity through the development of the RX range. But then the new gear from Kingtech looks great and from all the reports I have read their level of service is solid to match... got to love competition.

So well done to the businesses taking risks and thanks to those giving great service. I'm looking forward to another big step forward over the next 10 years.

Cheers,
Old 12-10-2013, 10:12 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
John Redman running the show at JetCat is reason enough for me. You won't find a better guy in the industry IMO.
That's just JetCat USA though, right? The rest of the world has to deal with JetCat Germany, as does John, I think...

Not that I think that's a problem, its just that at least for repairs, we US types have a local intermediary to deal with.

Bob
Old 12-11-2013, 10:33 AM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree 100%.. I was one of the first turbine flyers at my field.. I remember back in 1997-1998 we were using a lighter to turn on the turbine (I think it was called "Jetcat-Hammer")... Jetcat has come along ways and has gotten better every year mechanically and electronically.. Now with John behind the driver seat there is no other way but up.....
Old 12-11-2013, 10:44 AM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

I agree 100%.. I was one of the first turbine flyers at my field.. I remember back in 1997-1998 we were using a lighter to turn on the turbine (I think it was called "Jetcat-Hammer")... Jetcat has come along ways and has gotten better every year mechanically and electronically.. Now with John behind the driver seat there is no other way but up.....

I have 4 jetcats all second hand love them and John is great guy in the industry
vinny
Old 12-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you can't find a better guy in the industry ? That's very discouraging to hear.

Almost a month ago he told Dreamworks he was going to contact me because a problem with a product I bought and he never did. Same thing happened to another guy that was in my same situation. Almost a month have passed and no signals from him. In Dreamworks they were kind enough to give me a credit in the store after they realized that my problem was never solved. And don't let me start talking about the attitude of the guys in Germany......

Staying with Jet Central..... they have never failed me on the support side.

Last edited by Gonzalo38; 12-11-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.