Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Servo suggestions for use with the Igyro; JR to Futaba? SBUS-2?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Servo suggestions for use with the Igyro; JR to Futaba? SBUS-2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Servo suggestions for use with the Igyro; JR to Futaba? SBUS-2?

Okay I've looked over the forum pretty good and done a bunch of chasing around various Internet websites looking for answers and haven't really found what I was looking for, so I thought I'd ask here;

Got one of the SebArt Avanti S (please any comments about the built up wing are not helpful, the decision is made) jets which will be getting the 3D recommended 180 size engine (Behotec) along with the vectored thrust pipe and will be setup with the PowerBox Royal SRS with the built in Igyro.

Now Sebi recommends JR servos including DS8411's ailerons, elevators and nosewheel steering which I find a bit odd. That servo converted to the nylon gears is used quite a bit in the Pattern world for those controls, but are they really a way to go? I mean wouldn't you be better off getting something in an HV servo incase one wants to go with unregulated LiPo battery voltage?

Next are DS8911's for the flaps and rudder. Okay fine on the flaps but is that servo speed going to be okay for the Igyro or should I look for something faster?

Last are DS8717's (DS8915 in Europe) for the thrust vectoring. These are high speed heli swashplate servos. Seems reasonable to me... lol

Now the conundrum.... I had been flying JR stuff and with the recent lack of an updated radio for my 12X, I tried the Spektrum stuff but that DX18 is just too big for my short fingers which are now getting some arthritis. So.... I got an 18MZ. Swore I'd never go back to Futaba but the thing fits my hands and it really is quite a nice radio.

The question is; do I convert the recommended JR to some Futaba servos? Do we spend the money (they are spendy) to go with the SBUS-2 capable servos which are programable?

I know guys who fly the big Futaba radios in Pattern models but run JR servos because of the tight deadband those servos are famous for, but you also wind up replacing the servo gears on a regular basis. I'm also having a tough time finding Futaba servos that can match the torque/speed of the JR's for use in the control surfaces and particularly the thrust vectoring.

I've been playing with GS IMAC birds and some Pattern stuff but I'm pretty new to the turbine world so please be gentle..... lol

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-15-2013, 12:02 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

8411s are quite common in Bandits and Ultra Flash and those planes take a beating. If going with JR, I'd put 8711s in the elevator and 8411s everywhere else. I just went through a similar process as you for outfitting two scale jets and decided to go with Savox servos.

Last edited by dubd; 12-15-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:12 PM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have a Avanti S and a Futaba 18MZ radio.
I bought the following servos for it:
Futaba S9074SB's for the ailerons, elevators, and nosewheel steering.
Futaba S9075SB's for the flaps and rudder.
Futaba S9071SB's for the retracts, brakes, and nose door.

I am not putting thrust vectoring on mine right away.

I have been using my 18MZ on my other jets for over a year now, but this will be the first one I have set up completely with SBUS servos. I am planning to make my own bus cable with 16AWG wire for the power bus, and a 22AWG wire for the signal. It should cut down on a lot of wiring and allow me to use a minimal number of servo connectors.

The only issues I have seen so far with these servos is the the S9074SB servos are a little wider than the JR 8411's, so the nosewheel steering mount needs to be slightly enlarged (About 2 minutes with a file was all it took to make mine fit). The S9071SB servos are slightly larger (in all dimensions) than the JR 3421 that is recommended for the nosegear door. I was able to use a wood rasp to enlarge the mount and get it to fit.
I have not tried to fit the flap, elevator, or rudder servos yet, so it is possible that the mounts for those might need slight widening too. If so, it will be very minimal.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:26 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Kevin where did you buy the futaba servos? Servo City? Do they carry the whole line? I never know if I am looking at all the futaba s bus options.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Kevin where did you buy the futaba servos? Servo City? Do they carry the whole line? I never know if I am looking at all the futaba s bus options.
Yes, I bought them from Servo City. They had the best prices I could find on SBUS servos.
I don't think they carry all of the available SBUS servos though.
I just looked again, Servo City lists 6 different models of SBUS servos, but none of the high voltage SBUS servos.

Edit:
Upon closer inspection, they do the high voltage SBUS servos, but they are not listed in the SBUS servo catergory on their website. You have to look for the part numbers ending in "SV" in the standard servos category. So it looks like they probably do carry all of them

Last edited by Kevin_W; 12-15-2013 at 12:43 PM.