Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Interesting New Transmitter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Interesting New Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting New Transmitter

What do you guys think of this

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...m_Mode_2_.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Taranis.jpg
Views:	1459
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1951750  
Old 12-27-2013, 08:52 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the new Taranis radio and have one flight on it. A friend has two flights on his. Both Worked perfect. The radio has a lot of capability but has been a challenge to learn the programing. Each day there is more and more help with programming on line. I will go through an extensive test period before I use it in a jet.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:43 AM
highhorse

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

I think that if it's from HobbyKing I'm not touching it. Some will certainly flame me for saying that, but you asked and that's my honest answer. I gave them multiple chances, but the those experiences were rife with defective products and abysmal customer service.

Flame away.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by highhorse
I think that if it's from HobbyKing I'm not touching it. Some will certainly flame me for saying that, but you asked and that's my honest answer. I gave them multiple chances, but the those experiences were rife with defective products and abysmal customer service.

Flame away.
Nothing wrong with that highhorse, everyone is entitled to there opinion and I can respect that. I've never ordered from Hobby King so I can't offer an opinion.

But, on the subject of the transmitter, I've had one RCU friend tell me it's a great radio. But as sidgates stated, it takes a fair amount of programming or at least the programming is not intuitive.

There is a dealer in the US that sells them, I don't remember right now who it is but I'll look it up again and post it when I find it. In the mean time, let's hear more about this Tx!
Old 12-27-2013, 09:59 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

alofthobbies sells them, but there is a huge demand, so they will be backordered for a while (word is they are up to september on preorder list). If you really want to know more about this radio there are several large threads on another site. pm me if you want more info.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:00 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, here it is.

www.alofthobbies.com

Here is a quote from a PM he sent me. Hope he doesn't mind:
"They are the US distributor (HK US will not be carrying this radio for this reason). If you order from HK...the warranty issues can be a bear. My Taranis has been flawless...but as with any Chinese product there have been issues with gimbals, switches, etc."

Old 12-27-2013, 10:25 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Ignore that hobby king sells them it is not an hk product. Hk is no reflection on frsky products.

I bought a taranis mid 2013 from the first batch. The software capability outguns anything else you can buy at any price. You can have up to 32 channels and you can split them over a second protocol by fitting the external module from spektrum or jr or multiplex so that you transmit both frsky and another brand at the same time. There isn't another tx that can touch the taranis.

But I do not use it on my jets or other large/high value models. Yet. I want a couple of years using the frsky stuff to prove it's reliability before I am prepared to trust a jet to it. Frsky has been used by many people for two or three years now and they all praise the reliability of the radio link but I want to experience the build quality and mechanical reliability first hand.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:48 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Naaaa, I'll pass
Old 12-27-2013, 11:43 AM
sidgates

Harry,
I agree, no new radio in a high value model. MIne is in a 40 powered test airplane right now and when satisfied will progress to EDF next.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill
Naaaa, I'll pass
Oh yes, same here...
Old 12-27-2013, 12:23 PM
stevekott

$7000 jet vs. $170 transmitter. It's really not a very cost effective place to try and save a few bucks.

The mechanical items are the place the manufacturers can save the most $$ on in production. It's hard to imagine in that price range that all the quality you need would be there.

I lost my first jet to a "Technologically Advanced" radio with great specs and quality claims. It's a lousy feeling. It was also the same day I bought my High Dollar, Named Brand Tx and have never had a radio issue since.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill
Naaaa, I'll pass
++++++++1
Old 12-27-2013, 01:52 PM
toolmaker7341

You can buy a 6 ch tx & rx from HK for $25.00 how does $200.00 for a radio come under the same catogory. Futaba sells a 14 ch for $569.00. You realy believe the Futaba is better "Quality". If Airtronics put their label on this radio what would the price be? $899.00? What do you think pays for the fancy booths and sponsered pliots at all the trade and air shows. I used Airtronics because the design kind of matches their products. Yes iI will test fly my Taranis like all my new radios in one of my beaters for 20 or so flights then into 1 of my jets. Oh by the way HK sells JR and Futaba are they junk too? PS I purchased my Taranis from Aloft Hobbies (they are cheaper than HK) and waited 4 months for delivery plus I"ll be dealing with an american company for more RX's ,sensors and any warranty issues(hopefully not). I use Hitec,Airtronics,(JR,Futaba from dads stuff).Taranis and Exceed RC. The only radio failure I ever had was a 1974 EK (Hobby Lobby5) a broken servo wire and the only service was the stick pots had to be changed because I wore them out.The only radio failures I ever saw were high dollar Jr's and Futaba's. I take the covers and backs off all my new radios checking for rubbing wires and cold solder joints.Then twice a year for wire problems.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:53 PM
FSki

Jetflyer if you are going to buy one then you would be better going to the official UK representative http://www.frsky-rc.co.uk/frsky-news...emetry-modules
Old 12-27-2013, 02:55 PM
rjpmodel

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryC
Ignore that hobby king sells them it is not an hk product. Hk is no reflection on frsky products.

I bought a taranis mid 2013 from the first batch. The software capability outguns anything else you can buy at any price. You can have up to 32 channels and you can split them over a second protocol by fitting the external module from spektrum or jr or multiplex so that you transmit both frsky and another brand at the same time. There isn't another tx that can touch the taranis.
You obviously haven't looked at the Jetti Duplex DC-16 and DS-16 radios
Old 12-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

Originally Posted by FSki
Jetflyer if you are going to buy one then you would be better going to the official UK representative http://www.frsky-rc.co.uk/frsky-news...emetry-modules
All seem to be out of stock !
Old 12-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Fs one

I will stick with my Spektrum DX8 until the time i can purchase the Spektrum DX18.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:34 PM
fireblade5437

Well interest got the better of me and I have just spent around an hour going through the software and also had a look at their FASST Rx
To be honest for the price they look good from an engineering view point, the Rx are very cheap

I think we will be seeing a lot more of this RC gear gaining market share, as a lot of the big names are just pricing themselves out of the market

I would not mind getting one to try and investigate when the UK dealer has them in stock again....

Alan

Weatronic, JR and Futaba user!
Old 12-27-2013, 03:50 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rjpmodel
Agreed.
The Taranis doesn't belong in the same sentence as the Jeti.
The lower cost Jeti DS-14 has just been released BTW.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:16 PM
willig10

I know. Put it in an FEJ jet and when the jet crashes FEJ now can blame the radio instead of the jet. LOL just sayin.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:15 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

I've no reason to bash HK or Frsky. I have vast experience with both, 99.9% positive. That being said, I would sooner floss with barbed wire than use a radio from either of them in a turbine. Hell, you might actually get away with it for awhile, but I could never bring myself to trust a bargain Chinese radio in a turbine. Far too much a stake. I do wish you the best of luck with this new radio. GREAT bang-for-the-buck assuming it's got the needed reliability and adequate quality. Based on how much the Chinese stuff has improved in the last several years, they are bound to get it right sooner rather than later. As far as being their turbine-radio beta-tester, I'll leave that to someone far more adventurous than I.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:16 PM
jetster81

Originally Posted by rjpmodel
You obviously have not looked closely at the Taranis
Old 12-27-2013, 06:18 PM
jetster81

Originally Posted by ltc
Agreed.
Nor have you
Old 12-27-2013, 06:50 PM
rjpmodel

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Agreed.
Itc. You put the right words to the subject. Someday Jetster81 will hold a Jetti radio in his hands and see the light. For now just let him thing his HK radio is the best.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:06 PM
sidgates

The obvious difference between Taranis and a metal gimbal radio is the quality and feel of the gimbals. In another thread all most everyone was bashing cheap Chinese made radios then one person posted he had just bought 3 Futaba receivers from Tower and they are labeled "Made In China"..

Last edited by sidgates; 12-28-2013 at 07:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.