Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Interesting New Transmitter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Interesting New Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
I do not want to start any arguing but I would like to contribute as well. I also fully agree Jeti and taranis should not be used in ONE sentence pretty much ever, Jeti is simple light years ahead.

It's very simple, what FrSky is can be summed up in two words "Controversy" & "Luck"
This is nothing new just another disruptive technology. They did not come up with anything new just another China copy or as some of the people call them "Clone" radio system. Where they got lucky is that they used OpenTx software, nobody knows how they got the idea but let's assume it all started from HK.

Where it will get interesting will be the second stage of the play. At this point FrSky is nothing but hardware company that fully depends on "Free Labor" of few guys that push development of the software. What happens if this relationship comes to halt, what happens if those guys would like to get compensations. It's simple, software dies, FrSky dies and people move to another "Disposable Brand". But for many people it does not mean anything, they got the system for $175.00 and they can use it till it falls apart. Was it good deal, yup. Let's be honest many of us spent more money on less meaningful things.

Legal Issues:
What I am seeing is that FrSky is reaching the point where if something happened somebody must be held accountable, but Who? Is there are problem with Hardware or Software, who is the one responsible one, who is the accountable? And this type of questions will be popping up more and more.

Warranty, Customer Service...
Another interesting topic. From financial point of view it's just not sustainable. If you have $25.00 markup on 1000x radio it's still only $25,000.00. One simple Indoor show like AMA in CA will cost $5000.00 and I am not even touching subject of CE, FCC, Warranty, Lost Packages, Broken, Damage Stuff, Customer Support....... We have to realize the Hobby market it's not infinite. It's simple matter of arithmetic, no money = no future

Future:
That will be the most interesting one, time will tell. But I personally do not believe in company that does not manage all parts of the game. Look at the real life, Apple, Samsung... all have proprietary software and hardware, you just cannot be long term viable if you cannot manage software and hardware at the same time. And if somebody brings up "Free" OS like Android, just think who is behind. I think Google has clear reason for free OS.

It's not One product it's the whole "Universe" that matters.

Here is something I copied from another controversial discussion, I like when people say
that my Taranis is as good as Jeti DS-16, same like my Yugo is as good as your RR

Ok, let's compare what FrSky does not have (And probably never will):
Wireless Programming
Wireless Data Logging
Gyros and Accelerometers
Wireless Switch
Dual RF module
Dual Bi-Directional Protocol
Wireless Data & Programming link to ESCs
Upgradable Switches and Sticks
Hall Sensor Gimbals
Ex Bus Protocol
PPM Out and PPM In
UDI protocol
and on...
and on....

FrSky does not even have complete sensor line, even the LCD Display is at incorrect place. (Bottom of the radio)

Every Jeti Receivers is capable of:
Standard Servo Outputs
EX Bus: Telemetry/EX Bus
EX Bus/Servo: Telemetry/EX Bus + Servos
PPM: Telemetry, PPM Out
PPM/Servos: Telemetry, PPM Out + Servos
UDI: Telemetry, UDI
I think this is the best answer to that
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sour Grapes.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1952024  
Old 12-28-2013, 10:49 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetflyer3000
I think this is the best answer to that
Sour grapes - that's exactly the phrase I was thinking of!
Old 12-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Jeti USA

You are who you are and only you have live with yourself. I would be probably the same to be in UK at this time of the year.

I still do not see your $99.00 Hobby King turbine.

Last edited by Jeti USA; 12-28-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:05 AM
HarryC

Yep that's jeti usa - a sour puss. He pisses on other threads as well and gets asked to leave.. Has put me right off Jeti even though he's in a different country.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:29 AM
ash 26

You are who you are and only you have live with yourself. I would be probably the same to be in UK at this time of the year.

I still do not see your $99.00 Hobby King turbine.
How can you make all these statements and say that Jeti is better than all the rest not saying it is bad but you can not take from the Taranis it is a very serious bit of kit with the open source software and I am sure it did not get the same amount of funding Jeti did from
EU to start up its production ,
anyway the way you go on about Jeti you would have me turned off from buying one like Harry said you have p....t of a lot of people on a lot of forums surely not doing Jeti any favors
All that said I am very happy with my new Profi Tx there are a few bits to tweak but overall I am happy and M-Link is a well proven system
Old 12-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are open source good or bad thing? I do not know how open the source is and what features you can alter your self. Would't this draw new world master class programmers beeing geniuses after 3 days with the transmitter? Just the same way as it works in any other branch of RC flying. Buy hobbykingstuff, fly simulator for a day and then be the best round looking down at experienced club mates.

Or are the openess locked to only safe parameters?
Old 12-28-2013, 12:03 PM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

Jeti USA
Future:
That will be the most interesting one, time will tell. But I personally do not believe in company that does not manage all parts of the game. Look at the real life, Apple, Samsung... all have proprietary software and hardware, you just cannot be long term viable if you cannot manage software and hardware at the same time. And if somebody brings up "Free" OS like Android, just think who is behind. I think Google has clear reason for free OS.
I think Linux is a better analogy. There is a lot to be said for a situation where you can shop for hardware independently of software. Apple works hard to keep it hardware and software in house to minimize compatibility issues AND to maintain profit margins that are unbelievable for most computer companies.

Taranis owners generally defend the quality of the hardware. However, I would like to see someone come out with a high quality hardware package that will run the openly developed transmitter software.

What I see happening is the opportunity for the development of transmitter software independent of the mainline manufactures out pacing the the "name brands." This is what happened with Unix/Linux.

It may be a little on the bleeding edge for most people at this point, but some very interesting things are likely to come from it. Who would have imagined that Apple would give up their own in house OS to build their current OS on the back of Unix years ago? The big computer companies never thought "free" operating systems would be any competition - and yet they are. You get some dedicated and experienced programmers together and history shows that they usually leave the big names in the dust with innovation. I even think Google's huge data storage/retrieval systems are based upon work pioneered out of the Linux community.

Yes. Problems will come up with the software running on the Taranis - Especially if you run beta releases.
Yes. There will be confusion due to multiple forks in the software.
Yes. Other brands of hardware will have more capabilities (gyros etc.)

But I think that through the transmitter open software development we will see more programmable software features than any comparable hardware.

Because I have a bit of a geek background (my home computer in 1983 ran Unix and 7 simultaneous users), I am interested in what is happening with the open software. If the Taranis was easily available right now I would probably buy one to experiment with.

At the same time, due to it being relatively new software I wouldn't fly a multi-thousand dollar jet on it (without more testing). Nor would I run mission critical applications on brand new OS releases. That is just common sense.

Paul
Old 12-28-2013, 12:38 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

From Hobby King?

Excellent radio, for foamies.

That is all folks, nothing to see here.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:57 PM
HarryC

Originally Posted by CARS II
From Hobby King?

Excellent radio, for foamies.

That is all folks, nothing to see here.
the amount of ignorance and blind prejudice on display is terrible. Hk sells futaba and jr are they just as bad? Why are so many of you incapable of reading beyond the o.p. before opening your mouths? As has been pointed out several times on this thread frsky has nothing to do with hk. Hk is just one of many shops selling frsky.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:12 PM
jwren00

I have a taranis. The programming is simple to learn and it's nice to set up the model on a computer instead of on the transmitter. The telemetry and RSSI is awesome. A $20 vario is just incredible.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:47 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I appreciate Jeti USA for jumping in to the conversation. He didn't bash the Taranis. He simply pointed out that it isn't in the same class with Jeti radios. And he's right; the hardware features alone of the Jeti radios are far and away more impressive than the Taranis.
This same conversation happened (and continues to happen) when Hobby King first came out and you could get lipo batteries for $8 for the first time. Yay Hobby King! They are on the consumer's side and saving us from the ridiculous markup of the top tier manufacturers! Yeah right. Then we learned, or should I say some of us learned. A cheap HK battery pack isn't as good out of the box for voltage and heat as a MaxAmps is after 200 cycles. And after about 50 cycles, that Zippy is ready for the trash can. All the Turnigy stuff is cheaply made too. Their motors vibrate more than the good ones do and they aren't as efficient. HK sells cheap stuff, and they don't support their customer. Some people are ok with that, but every day a new sucker comes along who thinks he's sticking it to the top tier manufacturers by buying cheap stuff from HK. If you want a cheap radio, buy a Taranis. If you take care of it, you'll probably get 3-4 years of use out of it before something breaks. Forget about getting it fixed when that happens though. If you want a good quality radio, there are numerous options on the market including Jeti. It will last as long as you want to keep using it, and if it ever breaks you'll have a company who designed everything in the item who will be able to fix it. I personally don't care which route you all go since you don't fly near me, but don't be so foolish to think that there's some benevolent CEO over in China whose life's mission is to sell you $1200 radio systems for $179 plus shipping.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

Originally Posted by jester_s1
I appreciate Jeti USA for jumping in to the conversation. He didn't bash the Taranis. He simply pointed out that it isn't in the same class with Jeti radios. And he's right; the hardware features alone of the Jeti radios are far and away more impressive than the Taranis.
This same conversation happened (and continues to happen) when Hobby King first came out and you could get lipo batteries for $8 for the first time. Yay Hobby King! They are on the consumer's side and saving us from the ridiculous markup of the top tier manufacturers! Yeah right. Then we learned, or should I say some of us learned. A cheap HK battery pack isn't as good out of the box for voltage and heat as a MaxAmps is after 200 cycles. And after about 50 cycles, that Zippy is ready for the trash can. All the Turnigy stuff is cheaply made too. Their motors vibrate more than the good ones do and they aren't as efficient. HK sells cheap stuff, and they don't support their customer. Some people are ok with that, but every day a new sucker comes along who thinks he's sticking it to the top tier manufacturers by buying cheap stuff from HK. If you want a cheap radio, buy a Taranis. If you take care of it, you'll probably get 3-4 years of use out of it before something breaks. Forget about getting it fixed when that happens though. If you want a good quality radio, there are numerous options on the market including Jeti. It will last as long as you want to keep using it, and if it ever breaks you'll have a company who designed everything in the item who will be able to fix it. I personally don't care which route you all go since you don't fly near me, but don't be so foolish to think that there's some benevolent CEO over in China whose life's mission is to sell you $1200 radio systems for $179 plus shipping.

Another one

Name:	Sour Grapes.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1952079  
Old 12-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Walo

I
Ok, let's compare what FrSky does not have (And probably never will):
Wireless Programming
Wireless Data Logging
Gyros and Accelerometers
Wireless Switch
Dual RF module
Dual Bi-Directional Protocol
Wireless Data & Programming link to ESCs
Upgradable Switches and Sticks
Hall Sensor Gimbals
Ex Bus Protocol
PPM Out and PPM In
UDI protocol
and on...
and on....

FrSky does not even have complete sensor line, even the LCD Display is at incorrect place. (Bottom of the radio)

Every Jeti Receivers is capable of:
Standard Servo Outputs
EX Bus: Telemetry/EX Bus
EX Bus/Servo: Telemetry/EX Bus + Servos
PPM: Telemetry, PPM Out
PPM/Servos: Telemetry, PPM Out + Servos
UDI: Telemetry, UDI
...But...

Taranis has a variable Timer (can be used as a fuel gauge), Yeti doesn't

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...ble-timer.html
Old 12-28-2013, 02:59 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Walo
...But...

Jeti doesn't use a variable timer; Jeti has a sensor that measures fuel flow.

Jim
Old 12-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Jeti USA

Originally Posted by HarryC
the amount of ignorance and blind prejudice on display is terrible. Hk sells futaba and jr are they just as bad? Why are so many of you incapable of reading beyond the o.p. before opening your mouths? As has been pointed out several times on this thread frsky has nothing to do with hk. Hk is just one of many shops selling frsky.
You guys just do not understand, I do not know how you just, just... cannot understand.

It is Ok HarryC we understand.

Name:	article-2190677-149D1A17000005DC-202_306x461[1].jpg
Views:	60
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1952091  

Last edited by Jeti USA; 12-28-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Jeti USA

Yup, we are quite ahead of that.

Zb/Jeti USA

Old 12-28-2013, 03:27 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I think that if it's from HobbyKing I'm not touching it. Some will certainly flame me for saying that, but you asked and that's my honest answer.
I also fully agree Jeti and taranis should not be used in ONE sentence pretty much ever, Jeti is simple light years ahead.
Lol, you guys are amazing. Instead of prejudging and flaming, you should take a page from their book and get a sub-$250.00 USD, fully capable computer radio with telemetry. Jeti USA, you have an OK product but it's way overpriced.

We have 2 Taranis users in our small club, 0 Jeti, 0 Multiplex, 1 Airtronics, the rest are evenly split among Futaba and JR/Spektrum. The Taranis has contest-grade gimbals, some of the smoothest you'll find. Huge capabilities, but not user-friendly programming. You learn it as you go, which is OK for some but not for the average sport flier.

Pay attention to actual users like Harry, ignore those who have no direct knowledge and competitor/hater-types. Jealousy, party of one, your table's ready.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Walo

Yup, we are quite ahead of that.

Zb/Jeti USA

A variable timer is good enough. I have no need for additional stuff in the fuel circuit. For a bullet proof system we would need an additional fuel sensor in the maintank.

Regards, Walter
Old 12-28-2013, 05:51 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

deleted.

Last edited by wildnloose; 12-28-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: emotion got the best of me...back to normal.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:01 PM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by Airplanes400
With a price of just $172.00, it makes me wonder how much the production cost was, and how much HK makes on this item. Usually, a distributors cost is 50% of their selling price. Also, how much of a price difference it is for JR or Futaba to produce their transmitters? They must make an extremely large profit when they sell their transmitters for $1400.00 !!!

This looks like a very good deal. Especially for someone coming into the hobby on a budget.
I went through the order process of HK just to see the shipping cost to the USA associated with this radio ...
Swiss Post Direct Channel 3-14days $31.81
SingPost AirParcel 2.5kg / 7-21Days $45.35

So, $204 ~ $217 USD is a great deal

I'm happy with my Futaba 10CAG radio, and have no desire or need to switch. But this Taranis radio appears to be a great deal.

Questions to those that have this transmitter ...
1) Does the price include the charger, or a receiver?

(even if it doesn't include these items, I see the charger is only $5, and the receivers range between $12 and $34)

2) Are the instructions in readable English?
By this I mean, not written in Chin-English. such as;
a) Long time press On/Off button.
b) Yellow light on for stop.
c) Enter the camera mode in turned in turned off status long time press On/Off button.
d) Charging yellow light on long time when full off

Aloft Hobbies sells TX,16 ch RX,charger,neck strap,metal case shipped anywhere in the USA for $215.00 total
Old 12-28-2013, 07:04 PM
toolmaker7341

...But...

Taranis has a complete line of sensors including a fuel level indicator. Check out their website
Old 12-28-2013, 07:08 PM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A variable timer is good enough. I have no need for additional stuff in the fuel circuit. For a bullet proof system we would need an additional fuel sensor in the maintank.

Regards, Walter
Nope! A variable timer of minimal use. It will only keep track of throttle position, not fuel use. There is no need for a fuel sensor in the tank or tanks either. The solution is quite simple. I tried to source a miniature flow sensor years ago. They were available, but at $1400 a piece when bought in quantifies greater than 5000, it was a bit impractical. It's great news that Jeti has found a reasonable source for flow sensor

Tailwinds,

John

Last edited by cactusflyer; 12-28-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:18 PM
A10FLYR

And you don't see Futaba, JR, Spektrum, Airtronics, ETC in here putting down FrSky,

To see all that power in a $175 entry level radio is amazing. (And not all that hard to program) I too feel they need to upgrade the hardware but I think that is coming soon. Right now they are having a hard time keeping up with demand.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:51 PM
RUFTER

Originally Posted by A10FLYR
And you don't see Futaba, JR, Spektrum, Airtronics, ETC in here putting down FrSky,
+1. Mr Jeti seriously needs to brush up his marketing skills, seems he does the company more harm than good.

I'm curious to see how the Taranis does in the transmitter range test on the German RC Network forum. No lab environment tests, just real outdoor rangetests with different brand transmitters tested next to eachother for comparisson.
And now for the funny part, It seems you can always find Jeti on the bottom of the result chart.

Regards, Bart.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:29 AM
HarryC

Originally Posted by cactusflyer
l. It's great news that Jeti has found a reasonable source for flow sensor
It has actually been available for other systems from two different independent makers for at least two years. Jeti usa's claim of it being a first is not right. Jeti is just the first radio brand to include it in their own brand label range of sensors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.