Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Interesting New Transmitter

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Interesting New Transmitter

Old 12-29-2013, 05:56 AM
Tluu
My Feedback: (85)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have lots of spektrum and jr receivers, will I be able to run these receivers with a modual set up in a jeti?
Old 12-29-2013, 06:22 AM
ZB

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Unfortunately you cannot, Jeti needs bi-directional communication protocols.

I did sell all my jr/spektrum stuff, it took less than 48 on RCG and recovered almost all my money. The Spektrum module for my Multiplex Royal Evo sold for twice more than I paid 3 years ago. Also my jr9503, 2x Evo 9 & 12 with all receivers gave me more money that I spend on Jeti. Downsized from 3x radios to just one with more functionality than all 3 combined.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:45 AM
Tluu
My Feedback: (85)

Originally Posted by ZB
Unfortunately you cannot, Jeti needs bi-directional communication protocols.

I did sell all my jr/spektrum stuff, it took less than 48 on RCG and recovered almost all my money. The Spektrum module for my Multiplex Royal Evo sold for twice more than I paid 3 years ago. Also my jr9503, 2x Evo 9 & 12 with all receivers gave me more money that I spend on Jeti. Downsized from 3x radios to just one with more functionality than all 3 combined.
That's what I was afraid of, thanks.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:47 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

All you nay sayers will just have to get used to the fact that FrSky products are becoming the exception to the school of thought that low cost items are cheaply made, because their equipment is proving to be reliable and rock solid in performance.

Last edited by karolh; 12-29-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:22 AM
jetster81

Originally Posted by HarryC
It has actually been available for other systems from two different independent makers for at least two years. Jeti usa's claim of it being a first is not right. Jeti is just the first radio brand to include it in their own brand label range of sensors.
I am currently using an EMPC that is compatible with Jetcat ECU V6 and 10.0 via Multiplex M-Link and ACT rx's and the following ECU measuring values are transmitted to the radio control :-
ECU accumulation-voltage (Volt) with adjustable low voltage warning.
EGT exhaust temperature (Centigrade)
Turbine driving speed(U/min.)
Tank fuel volume (mL) with adjustable fuel alarm buffer
Fuel flow rate (mL)

small, light and software upgradeable.
all data is visible on the TX screen.
Available from CB Elektronics in Germany for 80 euros
Old 12-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Tuggs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I started to use Futaba almost 7 years ago I never bothered to look at another radio system
Old 12-29-2013, 11:23 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by Tuggs
Since I started to use Futaba almost 7 years ago I never bothered to look at another radio system
Thats called sticking your head in the sand.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuggs
I would just call that satisfaction. If you like what you have and it works for you, whether it's Futaba, Jeti, whatever, why not stick with it. In my case I only have one radio, a Spektrum DX6i and it's been great for me, especially what I fly (the lower end stuff). But I am up-scaling a little, building some scale models and I don't have a lot of money, so a Taranis is looking really good! And as of yet, I haven't seen any real negatives from anyone who owns and uses one.

With that said, I'd like to hear more from the people who do own and use them regularly. I want to know more about possible flaws or drawbacks from the people who have actually compared them before I purchase one. I'd rather hear less from the high end users who will likely never own one. Is there any more out there that have a Taranis? That's what this thread is about after all.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:10 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by dirtybird
I dont know about sticking your head in the sand but i flew Futaba for 40 years and did not loose one plane to radio or servo failure. I bought sprectrum radio a week after they came out with 2.4 and have been flying it now for 7 or 8 years and again no problems . Just because China sells something cheap you will see a bunch of tightwads buying the crap out of them. After a while using it and finding out that there is realy no place to get your China junk fixed you can send it back to them and they will make a small toy out of it and sell it back to you again for your kids next Christmas . joe
Old 12-29-2013, 01:35 PM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Wow! I guess my Futaba stuff is junk (cheap) as well as FrSky. You can now buy Futaba 617 receivers for $39.00 instead of the $89.00 they've been for years. Now how did that happen? It is called competition. I own Futaba, JR, Airtronix and even a Tactic, and yes, a bunch of FrSky Futaba compatible receivers, as well as a 2.4 FrSky Conversion for my Futaba 9C and FrSky proprietary receivers. Everything works flawlessly. Anyone that thought nobody would come up with less expensive (ok -- cheaper) direct replacements for any of the big names had to be living under a rock. The moment you create a proprietary anything, sooner not later, someone will find a way to compete with you. Fr Sky did that and they obviously have a following. A Caddy and a Yugo will both get you to the grocery store or Grandma's house -- it is just how much money do you want to spend on the product that gets you there and how comfortable you want to be on the journey. It is your money -- spend it as you see fit and ignore those who caution you about the mistake you are about to make. Chances are they don't own and have no intention of owning whatever it is you intend to buy whether it is RC gear, a bicycle, or a car.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:48 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Its so funny what happens every time some new low priced merchandise is released from China. Right away there is a big following with "loads" of experience with that particular product. Having flown 11 times with any product is now considered long term testing. Plus, everyone with more sense to not buy this junk is being called elitist snobs :-)

My guess is that this low priced wonder very soon will have two distinct threads here on RCU. Thread one will be a guide to replace the switches, battery and gimbals on the cheap radio, in order to make it last for more than 6 months, and then there will be another tread with former fanboys making excuses for why they recommended the product in the first place.

Does JetJoe and Fly Eagle Jet ring a bell. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that in order to sell a radio that cheap, several corners have been cut in material sourcing.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:05 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by joebahl
I dont know about sticking your head in the sand but i flew Futaba for 40 years and did not loose one plane to radio or servo failure. I bought sprectrum radio a week after they came out with 2.4 and have been flying it now for 7 or 8 years and again no problems . Just because China sells something cheap you will see a bunch of tightwads buying the crap out of them. After a while using it and finding out that there is realy no place to get your China junk fixed you can send it back to them and they will make a small toy out of it and sell it back to you again for your kids next Christmas . joe
If you think all Chinese products are junk and you will have to send it back to Chins to be fixed you really do have your head in the sand. Even HK has a US warehouse and their policy is to replace or refund any product of theirs if you are not happy within the first 30 says.
Most others have US distributors that will fix it for you.
Wake up. Times have changed. I remember when all Japanese products were labeled junk
Old 12-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by -JC-
Its so funny what happens every time some new low priced merchandise is released from China. Right away there is a big following with "loads" of experience with that particular product. Having flown 11 times with any product is now considered long term testing. Plus, everyone with more sense to not buy this junk is being called elitist snobs :-)

My guess is that this low priced wonder very soon will have two distinct threads here on RCU. Thread one will be a guide to replace the switches, battery and gimbals on the cheap radio, in order to make it last for more than 6 months, and then there will be another tread with former fanboys making excuses for why they recommended the product in the first place.

Does JetJoe and Fly Eagle Jet ring a bell. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that in order to sell a radio that cheap, several corners have been cut in material sourcing.
Another Jeti-grape haha
Old 12-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Henke Torphammar

and their policy is to replace or refund any product of theirs if you are not happy within the first 30 says.

Then Delayking are safe over here as the order takes atleast 45days to arrive - Express
Old 12-29-2013, 02:21 PM
joebahl

If you think all Chinese products are junk and you will have to send it back to Chins to be fixed you really do have your head in the sand. Even HK has a US warehouse and their policy is to replace or refund any product of theirs if you are not happy within the first 30 says.
Most others have US distributors that will fix it for you.
Wake up. Times have changed. I remember when all Japanese products were labeled junk
Plenty of bad storys about trying to get any kind of service out of hobby king ,in the usa or china. I sent one of my spectrum recievers in to get it fixed ,was sent back a new one at no charge. I told them i had flipped my plane over on a lake and had got it wet but i guess it did not matter to them. I dont fly jets but i do scratch build my planes and wouldnot use them as a test bed for a 179 dollar transmitter. I might use it in a dollar tree foam flyer but then again i still can use my spectrum transmitter because it has a 20 model memory . It does not save you anything
to buy cheap ! Some here who have bought this whizzz of a radio wont use it in ther jets so then why buy it? joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_7086.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1952342  
Old 12-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Henke Torphammar

Some here who have bought this whizzz of a radio wont use it in ther jets so then why buy it? joe
This is very true. Over here in Sweden I was called an idiot for not likeing the HK 9X transmitter. "it's the very best around" Then I was called an idiot again when I wanted to fly my 310mph Swist with it. So I guess there is a sweet spot of sub $100 plane and sub 100mph mark for this kind of transmitters haha

//double idiot.

BTW, Scratch builders are a rare kind who all are admired by me!! Work I could never do!
Old 12-29-2013, 02:53 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by Henke Torphammar
This is very true. Over here in Sweden I was called an idiot for not likeing the HK 9X transmitter. "it's the very best around" Then I was called an idiot again when I wanted to fly my 310mph Swist with it. So I guess there is a sweet spot of sub $100 plane and sub 100mph mark for this kind of transmitters haha

//double idiot.

BTW, Scratch builders are a rare kind who all are admired by me!! Work I could never do!
I agree to a point Henke but with cheap aftermarket spectrum recievers its just as easy to keep it all together by using all of the same radios. I sold off all my old futaba radios or gave them away to new flyers so now i have all spectrum stuff and plenty of recievers and no need to buy another brand. I also know its hard for you guys in another country to find or buy stuff but here we can find everything we need with out buying off of HK . joe
Old 12-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Henke Torphammar

I agree to a point Henke but with cheap aftermarket spectrum recievers its just as easy to keep it all together by using all of the same radios. I sold off all my old futaba radios or gave them away to new flyers so now i have all spectrum stuff and plenty of recievers and no need to buy another brand. I also know its hard for you guys in another country to find or buy stuff but here we can find everything we need with out buying off of HK . joe
Yes, Tx is only one component. Then rx, batteries, powerbox/bec and servos togeather with your install, where I assume you as a scratchbuilder will out perform all of us ARF guys
Old 12-29-2013, 03:15 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by Henke Torphammar
Yes, Tx is only one component. Then rx, batteries, powerbox/bec and servos togeather with your install, where I assume you as a scratchbuilder will out perform all of us ARF guys
Ha Ha i dont know about all that Henke but the only thing to remember is light is always better . My short solent sea plane is 100 inch wingspan and weighs 8 pounds with two lipo pack in her. I used bigger hitek metal gear servos and spectrum reciever plus i have a extra 2600 nimph pack for my servos and reciever . Dont like bec .s on bigger planes. I have arfs and not against them and i want to scratch build my first electrict jet soon because i wont paywhat they want for a arf one. joe
Old 12-29-2013, 07:28 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys are ALL MISSING the point of the Taranis.

In my opinion the coolest thing about the Taranis is the open source software. Sure it's cool to have the ability to read the receiver battery voltage in flight,, as well as the quality of the signal received by the receiver with the stock FRSKY $20.00 6 channel receiver. But that is just icing on the cake.

No longer are you stuck with the transmitter programming Futaba, Airtronics, JR or Spektrum thinks you need, or are willing to give you at any given price point. You can have all of the capability you can imagine for less than $200.00 with Taranis.

FRSKY just makes the hardware. OpenTX is the software that makes everything work. The Taranis is just the latest transmitter designed to run OpenTX, the first in my opinion with an acceptable build quality that will run the software.

OpenTX is a game changer and so are the radios that run it! Once you learn the software you will never again have to learn how to program a new radio. You can save everything on your computer with the FREE Companion 9X software, modify settings as required and send to your new OpenTX transmitter.

The computer software is free and allows you to change any setting from your computer instead of your transmitter if you choose to do so, it even includes a simulator so you can see exactly how any setting change affects the movement of your servos.

DON'T change the software every time you change radios, change the HARDWARE!

Just buy one that runs the software and load all of your settings and models from your computer into the new radio and off you go!

If Jeti supported openTX I would probably buy one, but they don't.

It's not about the radio! It's the software!

Don't buy a Taranis to support FRSKY, buy one to support the concept of open source transmitter software.

Last edited by 049flyer; 12-29-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:13 PM
RUFTER

I agree.

Why pay for the high end programming features when you can write the code for it yourself.
A lot has happened the last few years when telemetry became available. A lot of companies and individuals (even on this jet forum) dedicated themselves to build aftermarket parts that are compatible with the mainsteam brands. Why, maybe it's not economically interesting for them to build small stuff for a niche market, who knows.
But it is nice there are other people who develop it for us. There are dedicated forums for people who reprogram there telemetry sensors to make them compatible with there own brand. If you fly multicopters its the normal thing to reflash your esc-firmware to increase the flying performance. Multicopters would be a dull thing if it wasn't for all the Arduino and multiwii stuff.
So why not do the same thing with a transmitter? Every new radio from every brand already comes with a updatecable to modify the firmware, to keep it up to date with future developments, the only difference is you can have the ability to do the developing yourself. More power to the user, and that's not a negative thing.

regards, Bart.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:39 PM
Tuggs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right, so I guess after 7 years in a happy marriage i should start to look for a new wife as well?
Old 12-30-2013, 12:45 AM
FSki

Originally Posted by 049flyer

DON'T change the software every time you change radios, change the HARDWARE!

Just buy one that runs the software and load all of your settings and models from your computer into the new radio and off you go!

Does this mean that the "file" any model set up on the Taranis can be transferred to any other transmitter that runs open source and just run, is the programming set up the same for every Open Tx transmitter.

For instance I see that FrSky have now launched the Mk2 Taranis with a 6 way switch are all models programmed on either version compatible with each other.

Also I know this is posted in the Jets section, would be interesting to know how many Jet pilots are using FrSky in their jets.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:05 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cub Flyer Fresno
With that said, I'd like to hear more from the people who do own and use them regularly. I want to know more about possible flaws or drawbacks from the people who have actually compared them before I purchase one. I'd rather hear less from the high end users who will likely never own one. Is there any more out there that have a Taranis? That's what this thread is about after all.
I have been using taranis for about 6 months, I got one from the very first batch. Several people at my club have also got one.
I was intending to get a frsky module for my other tx earlier in the year but delayed in order to buy the taranis when it came out. Many fliers at my club have been using frsky modules and rx for a couple of years and are very satisfied with them, I did a lot of web searches and found lots of people using frsky modules and rx with nothing bad to say about them and very pleased with a reliable radio link.

Taranis seems to be the old JR9303 case, plus free OpenTx software, so very low cost to develop and that can be reflected in the price. There are some quality issues for example: poor fixing to the pots means that on some tx the signal doesn’t centre perfectly after moving the sticks (varies around 2 or 3% either side of centre) but frsky is apparently improving this on new batches; some side sliders have poor ratchet and centre detent, one of mine was fine but the other poor; one person in my club had the programming buttons one the right side fall inside the case, the moulding is held in place by two holes sitting over pins which are melted on top to hold the moulding and the melt had broken away so a drop of superglue fixed them back.

This Tx is not built to the same standard as a Multiplex/Fubar/JR/Jeti, but then look at the price! It’s an example of why I don’t use it on my jets, I use it for all my normal models, it is sensible risk management to limit the models it is used on until we have lots of users using it for a long time to find out if any safety flaws arise. You could say the same of any new tx manufacturer e.g. Jeti or Weatronic, but people tend to feel the high price means it has been made more solidly than a taranis and they are probably right. I also want a couple of years of using the frsky rx to feel confident that their components don’t suddenly fail or come off the pc board and so on. Lots of other users worldwide report no problems over the last couple of years but I want to experience it for myself.

As others have said, what makes taranis special is the OpenTx software. It can wipe the floor with any other tx you can get. You get immense freedom and amazing functions/equations to use. In many concepts it follows the style of Multiplex, so those of us, like me, used to multiplex make the change to opentx almost without blinking. But as I discovered many years ago with Multiplex, lots of people don’t like freedom! Freedom means work and responsibility and lots of people don’t want that in a tx, they want it to give them a few but easy choices. They don’t want and they don’t need the ability to make the tx their way. But that freedom requires the user to also set up the simple things that Fubar and JR have already done for you. It’s not difficult to do, but it does require that you do them. It’s a choice – freedom and more work, or less work but restrictions.

If you are interested, you can download Companion9X which is the pc software that goes with openTx, set the option to taranis (openTx works on several different platforms so you must set it to the tx you are using) and have a play. http://code.google.com/p/companion9x/
There is a huge taranis resource at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1914834 look especially for scott page’s youtube tutorials

I am very pleased with my taranis

Last edited by HarryC; 12-30-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:28 AM
Henke Torphammar

Originally Posted by 049flyer
You guys are ALL MISSING the point of the Taranis.

In my opinion the coolest thing about the Taranis is the open source software.
I get this, but I wonder how big is the chance of you messing up the programming causing crashes? I asked before in this thread but no reponse (that I noticed)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.