Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Interesting New Transmitter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Interesting New Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 01:04 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dear Mr. Jeti:

Ever hear of Linux? The open source operating system that runs on all sorts of hardware platforms. Similar situation as OpenTX running on different transmitter platforms. Linux has been around for a long long time and has prospered despite being supported by the "Free Labor" of few guys that push development of the software.

I would LOVE to see Jeti quality equipment that runs the OpenTX software but for now all we have is FRSky, Turnigy and a few others. Perhaps one day Jeti, Futaba, or JR, will offer such a system. Perhaps FRSky will step up their hardware game. Meanwhile I have a Taranis, my flying buddy just ordered his and I will be buying another before summer. NEITHER of us fly high dollar aircraft nor would I recommend doing so until we see how the Taranis and the OpenTX software functions in the "real world".

The long term viability of open source for our applications is dependent on it's acceptance by the modeling community which looks very positive judging by the message boards.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:04 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Duplicate post

Last edited by 049flyer; 01-05-2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 01-05-2014, 01:08 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy one at 1/10 of the price and look very happy till you need a part for it to work again . BTW they make good paper weights ! joe
Old 01-05-2014, 01:29 PM
FSki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by erh7771

Not ONE rx\tx maker outside of frysky has rx pack voltage indicator AND RSSI built into the module\rx out of the box with no add ons... not one.. I could be mistaking though
I know that Graupner SJ HoTT monitors Rx Voltage and receiver signal strength and quality and Multiplex M Link telemetry Rxs all give Rx voltage and LQI (which is monitoring the quality of the received signal).
Old 01-05-2014, 01:51 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know people who have and I will in the future, I look at components in this hobby... not at name and price, I've been bit too many times in the past

Not ONE rx\tx maker outside of frysky has rx pack voltage indicator AND RSSI built into the module\rx out of the box with no add ons... not one.. I could be mistaking though

That should be a requirement for flying turbine along with kill switch IMHO
I have looked at the FrSky module electronics, would not consider it as first class. Second to third class maybe. Have not seen the Taranis in person so cannot comment. I have read reports of some minor hw problems (cheap switches, gimbals not centering, cheap sliders, push buttons on right side falling out). So its not perfect, but still seems to be the best bang for buck transmitter.

Although not available in US, Multiplex telemetry receivers transmit rx voltage and rssi without sensors.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:08 PM
fireblade5437

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xairflyer
To be fair I have used Hitec servos for a long time without any issues, not that keen on the Sbus idea running everything on one wire dosnt seem to be very belt and braces to me.
We run industry on Bus all the while, production lines, auto factories and yes full size aircraft! Very realible if software and hardware well designed and installed correctly

Device net has power and bus down same wires and also CANBUS for auto has been done with only two wires data and power!

Alan

Last edited by fireblade5437; 01-05-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:22 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by joebahl
You can buy one at 1/10 of the price and look very happy till you need a part for it to work again . BTW they make good paper weights ! joe
I had trouble with the sticks not centering. The distributor replaced the sticks with no charge. The distributor is Aloft Hobbies
Old 01-05-2014, 03:32 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by dirtybird
I had trouble with the sticks not centering. The distributor replaced the sticks with no charge. The distributor is Aloft Hobbies
Glad to here it dirtybird most say they have service but the consumer gets nothing than a rounaround when its sent in. I cant tell you how many times i have seen a plane for sale and the reason why is its faster than trying to send it back to HK. joe
Old 01-05-2014, 04:37 PM
MP3_tilaco

Originally Posted by ravill
Naaaa, I'll pass
For my jet I used my JR X11
Old 01-05-2014, 04:43 PM
dirtybird

Glad to here it dirtybird most say they have service but the consumer gets nothing than a rounaround when its sent in. I cant tell you how many times i have seen a plane for sale and the reason why is its faster than trying to send it back to HK. joe
You do not have to get it from HK. They are just one of the sellers. Again the US distributor is Aloft Hobbies.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:46 PM
dirtybird

Originally Posted by fireblade5437
We run industry on Bus all the while, production lines, auto factories and yes full size aircraft! Very realible if software and hardware well designed and installed correctly

Device net has power and bus down same wires and also CANBUS for auto has been done with only two wires data and power!

Alan
The US military uses a similar system delineated in MS 1553. They use a coax
Old 01-05-2014, 11:17 PM
Walo

One thing that was pointed out. I dont know if it was on this thread.
You can plug a module in the back and have it operating along with the module in the radio. So you could have one module control one side of the airplane and the other module control the other side. Complete redundancy except for the Tx encoder.
Is there another Tx you can do that with?
Yes, Jeti! That was the reason, I switched from Futaba to Jeti.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:31 PM
keyman
My Feedback: (22)

You do not have to get it from HK. They are just one of the sellers. Again the US distributor is Aloft Hobbies.
I do not know what is scarier, that after it has been posted numerous numerous numerous times this is not a Hobbyking radio and that a couple still do not get it or the fact that these people that do not get it are flying jets?

Last edited by keyman; 01-05-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

Originally Posted by keyman
I do not know what is scarier, that after it has been posted numerous numerous numerous times this is not a Hobbyking radio and that a couple still do not get it or the fact that these people that do not get it are flying jets?
Most of the items that HK sell are just that, things they sell. They make very little. They are generally just a global on line shop
Old 01-06-2014, 07:11 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by keyman
I think that you dont get it! If i had a jet i would not trust it to this radio like many have posted in this thread. Just because i dont fly a JET does not mean its a great radio for one. joe
Old 01-06-2014, 07:15 AM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that you dont get it! If i had a jet i would not trust it to this radio like many have posted in this thread. Just because i dont fly a JET does not mean its a great radio for one. joe
There are many who fly turbines with the t9x, Tarranis is even an even better computer

I learned early in the hobby not to go on names but components and make up of devices... I trust the t9x\frsky combos more than I trust many name brand radios... I know I can trust Tarranis even more
Old 01-06-2014, 07:57 AM
ululi1970

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does have the FCC sticker. I was lucky enough to get one several months ago. Got rid of my Futaba hardware soon after. The software is amazing, and the support and response from the community is great. Just a quick example: A while ago, someone posted a question. He flies pattern, and wanted to have a way to have the radio announce (that is read to him) the next maneuver to him at the flip of a switch. Shortly after, somebody posted a way to do it. What other radio can do that!

BTW, spare parts (gimbals, sliders, etc) are available from retailers. It is even possible to upgrade a first generation Taranis to the new MK2 buy purchasing the improved components. Again, what other brand gives you this?

Above all, what makes this Radio stand out is the software. I really hope that more vendors will step in
to provide hardware that runs on OpenTx.

Last edited by ululi1970; 01-06-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:27 AM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

Sounds like the old Kraft vrs Futaba war again. Look who won that one.

I had most of the flight line looking down their noses at me when I brought out my "brown box" Futaba...guess what, I've still got it and it still works.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:56 AM
RUFTER

Yes, mistaken!

RSSI for each antenna, RX voltage and RX temperature are pretty much standard on telemetry RX's from most brands.
Graupner/SJ HoTT, Multiplex M-Link, Weatronic (not visual on TX ontill their own TX hits the market) to name but a few.
Jeti probably has it as well but i'm gonna let the expert answer this.

Regards, Bart.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:14 AM
erh7771

Originally Posted by RUFTER
Yes, mistaken!

RSSI for each antenna, RX voltage and RX temperature are pretty much standard on telemetry RX's from most brands.
Graupner/SJ HoTT, Multiplex M-Link, Weatronic (not visual on TX ontill their own TX hits the market) to name but a few.

Regards, Bart.
Thx for this info...

I guess it comes down to what people are comfortable with, I'd rather fly the frsky because they're proven and I've saved a couple of birds with it...

lol... everyone has their thresholds...
Old 01-06-2014, 09:36 AM
erh7771

Originally Posted by ululi1970
It does have the FCC sticker. I was lucky enough to get one several months ago. Got rid of my Futaba hardware soon after. The software is amazing, and the support and response from the community is great. Just a quick example: A while ago, someone posted a question. He flies pattern, and wanted to have a way to have the radio announce (that is read to him) the next maneuver to him at the flip of a switch. Shortly after, somebody posted a way to do it. What other radio can do that!

BTW, spare parts (gimbals, sliders, etc) are available from retailers. It is even possible to upgrade a first generation Taranis to the new MK2 buy purchasing the improved components. Again, what other brand gives you this?

Above all, what makes this Radio stand out is the software. I really hope that more vendors will step in
to provide hardware that runs on OpenTx.
Not only that but there's a profitable proven support model that can be done with FOSS ... Heck... the front cost of this is the cost of 1 turbine :-)

I'd rather have everyone have my radio in their hand and take over the world in that area... make someone else come with a better product
Old 01-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Geoff_S

Originally Posted by RUFTER
I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but Jeti most certainly does have rx voltage and signal strength from both antennas as standard with all receivers, and has for many years. This is a photo of mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1359.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1955018  
Old 01-06-2014, 11:46 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

I had my Taranis for about a month now. I am slowly moving my small rc stuff to it because its very inexpensive. Cheap enough that its a great second radio, $175 why not and It can fly any receiver I currently have. It is going to take me some time to put it on an expensive plane, I have a JR12X for that. However, the Taranis beats the JR12X programming to shame, well JR is what I would call pre-programed radio so its easy to use. IMO the Taranis is actually easier to program than my Multiplex. Options like servo delay, voice, telemetry, servo sequencing, custom function is really nice to have. IMHO OPENTX will kill the name brands who do not update their systems fast enough, but it will force them to include these things to be competitive, good for us all. Jeti is on the right track, good programming and very good hardware quality but $50 per receiver on foamies is ridiculous.

Why would you jet jocks even think about $175 radio to fly your jets?

BTW Cheap does not always mean low quality. I am still using the Zippy Lipo packs for my support equipment I got 5 years ago where my TPs and FPs were dead in a few years.

Last edited by fw190; 01-07-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:38 AM
F106A

I don't think jet guys are going to risk $10-15K models on a $170 throw away radio, I know I'm not.
There's a reason it's $170 and it's not because radio manufacturers have been ripping us off all these years.
I'll let others do the R&D (and crashes) while I just go to the field and fly without worrying what component is going to fail next.
I don't know what's going on with JR, they haven't replaced the 12X while other manufacturers have upgraded/expanded their line.
The 12X is fine, had all my jets set up with JR equipment, but just bought a Jeti DS-16 for more channels and programming flexibility.
It was kind of a pain to redo all the setups, but for me it was time to move on and upgrade and Jeti gave me the best value for MY dollar.
BRG,
Jon
Old 01-07-2014, 09:13 AM
A10FLYR

Originally Posted by fw190

Why would you jet jocks even think about $175 radio to fly your jets?
Because, in almost three years of flying with FrSky modules in my Futaba transmitters I have not a single problem so I would not be afraid to use them. The Taranis transmitter however is still having teething problems but give them a little while to sort it out, then we'll see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.