Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Interesting New Transmitter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Interesting New Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Taranis was delivered today from BRC hobbies in the UK I think they still have some more.

Mike
Old 01-08-2014, 11:17 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it says here todaay that cars made in china will be selling here next year>>> good by america iam the only american left
Old 01-08-2014, 04:26 PM
Xairflyer

Originally Posted by BaldEagel
My Taranis was delivered today from BRC hobbies in the UK I think they still have some more.

Mike
That is one thing I have noticed mike is how many UK stockist are now adding Frsky to their product range, about five years ago it was only GiantCod now well known suppliers like BRC, Robot Birds etc have coped on to how good it is.
There is no doubt Frsky is the Next big name in RC
Old 01-09-2014, 04:09 AM
BaldEagel

Xairflyer I think we will be seeing a lot more from FrSky in the future as you say, one thing I did not know until I placed my order is that BRC hobbies and Robotbirds are one and the same company.

Mike
Old 01-09-2014, 04:17 AM
Xairflyer

That wasnt the case in the past suspect BRC have bought Robotbirds
Old 01-09-2014, 06:32 AM
FSki

Mike
Was that the A or B model, B model apparently has a 6 way dial and improved sliders.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:50 AM
dspeers
My Feedback: (22)

Just curious, GravesRC has several in stock, albeit at slightly greater price (~25.00) more than Aloft, which has a significant waiting list. Is there a problem with this particular retailer or is the price differential what explains the disparity?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:45 AM
BaldEagel

Originally Posted by FSki
Was that the A or B model, B model apparently has a 6 way dial and improved sliders.
No idea, how would I know or find out?

Mike
Old 01-09-2014, 09:59 AM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

Originally Posted by dspeers
Just curious, GravesRC has several in stock, albeit at slightly greater price (~25.00) more than Aloft, which has a significant waiting list. Is there a problem with this particular retailer or is the price differential what explains the disparity?
Graves RC is local to me and they are very reputable. I have purchased both in store and mail order through them.

Paul
Old 01-09-2014, 12:24 PM
ululi1970

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alofthobbies is the official importer, and handles warranty claims AFAIK. Best prices around, even better than HK, without mentioning the fact that they are based in WA.
I think GravesRC is just a serious reseller.
BTW, the service fro alofthobbies is impeccable. Ordered some rxs on Monday,
they were delivered yesterday. Well, to the wrong address, but that is USPS's fault. I have been chasing the mailman all day long...
Old 01-09-2014, 02:49 PM
FSki

Originally Posted by dspeers
oops wrong reply
Old 01-09-2014, 02:50 PM
FSki

No idea, how would I know or find out?

Mike
Old 01-23-2014, 06:22 AM
Tbolt65

Part of this thread is showing a different response theme then the Taranis threads on RCGroups. I have a Taranis and a second on order from Aloft (for $175 how can I not have a backup).

I've always used Futaba before but the capabilities of the Taranis far exceed what I'd be willing to pay for in a Futaba - and they don't even offer such an device. The Futaba 2.4Ghz 7T I bought a year ago is junk compared to the Taranis both from a hardware and software perspective IMO. The Taranis will require you to think outside of the box and initially may be confusing, but the open architecture software allows you complete freedom. it's certainly not more confusing then I initially found my old Futaba 9CAP, except now I understand what I'm doing.

But watch some of the 25+ instructional YouTube videos or read the manuals or the thread summaries and then make a decision. Below is a link to a list of the resources to learn more:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post27146636

If nothing else you can download the free Companion 9X software (it's the PC version of the software on the radio) which is referenced on the above link and try it out.

It is very understandable if you don't want to risk your $7,000+ jet on a new concept it's just worth investigating so you know what's out there.

Fly Safe!!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:04 AM
BaldEagel

Whatever you posted does not show on the thread.

Mike
Old 01-23-2014, 09:55 AM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Whatever you posted does not show on the thread.

Mike
Mike,

Try this,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1914834

Good link with tons of info.

I picked up a Taranis last week from my electric sponsor http://www.2dogrc.com/ and am slowly moving my electrics to it including several 90 mm duct fans. It took me a bit to learn the the programming and I just have the basics but I like it. Flew it in a nice 60 " electric this past weekend and it felt as solid as the DSMX RX that had been it previously on my DX18. Time will tell.

I'm not ready to put my turbines on it but not because I don't trust the radio its because I prefer the feel of my DX18 and I know it works. I think the Taranis will also work but i need to get more comfortable with it from a reliability standpoint. I really bought it to take the load off my 18.

The built in telemetry of the RX is nice especially at the price and should shame some of the other manufactures that charge much more and then make you by an additional module just to get basic voltage and RX strength feed back, something that increases the safety of the sport many fold.

I downloaded the Companion9 stuff but I programmed my TX manually. I don't take a laptop to the field with me so I thought I outta learn to do it long hand. I haven't dabbled with the voice stuff yet but saving that for a rainy day.

Take care

Mike
Old 01-23-2014, 10:19 AM
BaldEagel

I am looking for an answer to how do I tell what I have.

Already have the Taranis, interesting, but comparing it to a Futaba Tx is a nonsense, the ready installed mix's in the Futaba Tx' and model conditions have been miles ahead of the opposition for years, bug fanfare by the other brand when they introduced conditions on their Tx's but still do not have the built in mix's or free mix's that Futaba have, now if FrSky came out with a downloadable mix's and conditions menu that would put it in a class of its own for the price.

Mike

Mike
Old 01-23-2014, 10:41 AM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Mike
I don't know. Pick it up like a cat and look up its arse?

I answered your question before i knew what the question was. My Bad
That's what happens when you don't read the whole thread before posting a reply.

Mine showed in country just last week so I would think (but not sure) it would be the latest greatest bestest . The sliders are quite course and there is no 6 position switch, only several three's and two rotatable knobs.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:55 AM
ululi1970

Already have the Taranis, interesting, but comparing it to a Futaba Tx is a nonsense, the ready installed mix's in the Futaba Tx' and model conditions have been miles ahead of the opposition for years, bug fanfare by the other brand when they introduced conditions on their Tx's but still do not have the built in mix's or free mix's that Futaba have, now if FrSky came out with a downloadable mix's and conditions menu that would put it in a class of its own for the price.

Mike

Mike
Not sure the comparison is fair. Think of Taranis (really OpenTx) as giving you a blank canvas, where you can draw whatever picture you want. Futaba (and JR/Spektrum) is like having a number of connect-the-dots pictures that the user can quickly fill in. Having said that, there is a ton of info on the threads posted on the "other" RC forum, and usually whenever somebody posts a question on how to do a certain things,
usually there is an answer (or many, because there are often many ways to skin a cat) posted within a short time.

As for BaldEagel comment, Companion9X comes with a set-up wizard that can provide
a set of predefined mixes for standard configurations (fixed wing, heli, flying wing, glider), that can be used as a starting point for more complex mixes.

I do 90% of the programming on Companion9X at home, download the models on the radio and do the fine tuning at the field. Often,
I program so that the gain on a mix is set by either a slider, or a pot, or even a trim (like throttle). That way,
if I need to tune a mix on a new model say between elevator and flaps when the latter are deployed, I can do that
while the model is flying using a slider rather than having to mess up with the screen. At the end, I just copy
the value of the gain to a permanent variable....

Is OpenTx
Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Already have the Taranis, interesting, but comparing it to a Futaba Tx is a nonsense,

Mike
In Sweden the forum talk is now guiding people through opening the Tx and adding the missed out strain reliefs. They also glue the potentiometers using hot melt glue to get a more solid feel. I have no clue, this is only forwarding what they do. Open Tx - pun intended...

Doesn't sound much Futaba, JR or Jeti if you ask me
Old 01-23-2014, 12:23 PM
ululi1970

Originally Posted by Henke Torphammar
In Sweden the forum talk is now guiding people through opening the Tx and adding the missed out strain reliefs. They also glue the potentiometers using hot melt glue to get a more solid feel. I have no clue, this is only forwarding what they do. Open Tx - pun intended...

Doesn't sound much Futaba, JR or Jeti if you ask me
I would never dream to put a Jeti on par with a Taranis. BUt it also costs 7 times as much.

Nonetheless, can you post a link to the Swedish forum you mentioned.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ululi1970
I would never dream to put a Jeti on par with a Taranis. BUt it also costs 7 times as much.

Nonetheless, can you post a link to the Swedish forum you mentioned.
Sure. They say they got the strain relief thing from rcgroups. I'm not following it that close as I don't own the tx my self, it just caught my eye skimming the forum. http://www.rcflyg.se/forum/showthrea...-FrSKY-TARANIS

Comparing is fun. Sometimes something cheap are better. Virtually all $30 Delayking chargers outperform my Schulze ISL8 costing like 2grand new back in the days. Some time you laugh, some times you sigh, still comparing is a very useful tool
Old 01-23-2014, 12:47 PM
toolmaker7341

What cable and software do I need to use my PC to program tha Taranis?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Tbolt65

Originally Posted by toolmaker7341
What cable and software do I need to use my PC to program tha Taranis?
USB cable with the old style min USB plug (not the newer micro plug your cell phone uses) and the standard at the other. [h=1]C2G 2m USB 2.0 A/Mini-B Cable Mfg. Part: 27005|CDW Part: 328953 - this is one example[/h]
Companion 9X is the free software that is used. There is a 'special' version for the Taranis.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:57 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by SkidMan
Graves RC is local to me and they are very reputable. I have purchased both in store and mail order through them.

Paul
Holidaying in Florida at the moment and planning a visit to Graves.

If they have a Mode 1 version in stock I"ll buy one.

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-23-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:14 PM
BaldEagel

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Holidaying in Florida at the moment and planning a visit to Graves.

If they have a Mode 1 version in stock I"ll buy one.
Its a very simple job to change from Mode 1 to Mode 2 so don't be put of buying because they don't have the Mode you want.

uliui1970

Try programming a 16 servo airframe from scratch with the Taranis, I have been trying to get the interaction out of the canard since I started also the elevons are a particular problem especially as there are four of them and need to split in butterfly, the elevator and yaw have to be switchable from the vectored thrust as well, when you get it sorted let me know.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.