Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Interesting New Transmitter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Interesting New Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BaldEagel
Its a very simple job to change from Mode 1 to Mode 2 so don't be put of buying because they don't have the Mode you want.

Mike
Thanks Mike, looks like a done deal then. (If they are B models)

Info on how to identify the B model is here on the frsky site.

http://www.frsky-rc.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-23-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:12 PM
ululi1970

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a very simple job to change from Mode 1 to Mode 2 so don't be put of buying because they don't have the Mode you want.

uliui1970

Try programming a 16 servo airframe from scratch with the Taranis, I have been trying to get the interaction out of the canard since I started also the elevons are a particular problem especially as there are four of them and need to split in butterfly, the elevator and yaw have to be switchable from the vectored thrust as well, when you get it sorted let me know.

Mike
I am not saying programming OpenTx is trivial. What I find useful is to break complex mixes in a number of substeps, and use the unused channels (in your case 17-32) to store intermediate mixes. Also, don't forget global variables and custom switches as well. But I agree, it takes some time and some trial and error.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:08 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Rob, looks like the only hardware change is the charging circuit, but then I have a B it seems.

Mike
Old 01-24-2014, 12:53 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Try programming a 16 servo airframe from scratch with the Taranis, I have been trying to get the interaction out of the canard since I started also the elevons are a particular problem especially as there are four of them and need to split in butterfly, the elevator and yaw have to be switchable from the vectored thrust as well, when you get it sorted let me know.

Mike
What's the problem? I find this a superbly easy system, but i am used to many years of programming Multiplex.
Send me your eepe file and I can take a look at it if you like. You could change its extension to something like jpg and attach it to a post here.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:58 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a jet flyer so I probably don't know what I'm talking about. That said however, I find it difficult to imagine myself spending several thousand dollars on an airplane of anykind and then buy a cheap transmitter to fly it with. I can't really imagine why anyone would.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:27 AM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KaP2011
I'm not a jet flyer so I probably don't know what I'm talking about. That said however, I find it difficult to imagine myself spending several thousand dollars on an airplane of anykind and then buy a cheap transmitter to fly it with. I can't really imagine why anyone would.
I learned early and the hard way that money does NOT ... NOT buy quality or value...

I was young and bought a car that cost as much as a nice sized house where I lived... the car was crap... no really, quality issues you would not believe... and then to learn it wasn't just my car and then to learn this car maker was were trying to keep it on the under as if people didn't notice their US fueled (not made... hint...hint) cars loping in cold weather!!!!

The maker here could easily charge 100% more but why?

So some people will feel comfortable?

Or some people can brag?

I wouldn't, stack em deep and sell them...... inexpensive
Old 01-24-2014, 10:27 AM
ululi1970

Am I being irresponsible if I drive my family around in a Toyota when I have the money to buy a Lexus? Likewise, my cell phone may one day save my life with a call to 911. Am I being crazy if I buy a HTC One for $25 (plus contract) rather than an iPhone 5 for $200 (plus contract)?
Old 01-24-2014, 10:47 AM
SushiHunter

R & D comes with a price.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:06 AM
ululi1970

Originally Posted by SushiHunter
R & D comes with a price.
True enough.
But I am very curious to know what percentage of Futaba's (or JR/Spektrum) revenue is invested in R&D vs. marketing.

And frankly, aside perhaps
from the mechanical part of gimbals, all the hardware in a modern radio is 100% off-the-shelf (CPU, RF decks), so the industry piggybacks on computer and cell phone technology.
The basic layout of a radio has been around for 40 years. So not much R&D in that either.
The software is the only "specialized" thing, and the people behind OpenTx has proven that you can make a superb product with a Open Source model. Kudos for FrSky (and
thank goodness for us end users) to understand that they can bring to market a Lexus with the price tag of a Toyota and make a profit too!! If this means that the name brand have to
start reducing their margin so be it.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:49 AM
SushiHunter

Sure the basic r/c transmitter/receiver principals have been around for decades. As you mentioned, the software is one of the biggest advancements with radios these days. Not only the software itself, but also r & d goes into how user friendly the software is made for the end user. I'd have to guess that Futaba spends lots on R & D since so much of what they do is based on new ideas that have not been done before. R & D cost is greatest for companies that pioneer new and never done before ideas/technology. For this reason the latest and greatest will always be priced accordingly. And just as true is how competitors will then duplicate this newest technology for pennies on the dollar because the r & d portion/cost associated with this technology had already been spent by the pioneering company which first successfully accomplished turning those never done before ideas into reality.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:39 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure the basic r/c transmitter/receiver principals have been around for decades. As you mentioned, the software is one of the biggest advancements with radios these days. Not only the software itself, but also r & d goes into how user friendly the software is made for the end user. I'd have to guess that Futaba spends lots on R & D since so much of what they do is based on new ideas that have not been done before. R & D cost is greatest for companies that pioneer new and never done before ideas/technology. For this reason the latest and greatest will always be priced accordingly. And just as true is how competitors will then duplicate this newest technology for pennies on the dollar because the r & d portion/cost associated with this technology had already been spent by the pioneering company which first successfully accomplished turning those never done before ideas into reality.
There's at least 2 parts of the R&D with these rx\tx's....the software and the hardware

The software is already R&D'd... tried and true ... and many hands to make it more stable than paid for software

OpenTx is the linux of radio software IMHO... Fast, Free, Easy to get and Easy to use... and.... FREE!!!!

Hardware.... off the shelf stuff.... this is where they're making a killing

This is a decent business plan; Take around 100usd of parts and labor and double the price then get the software for free...

Nice
Old 01-24-2014, 12:44 PM
ululi1970

A few comments:
1) OpenTx is not a copy of Futaba/JR/Spektrum. It is an original development inspired by the Multiplex approach.
As for user friendliness, it is different than the "pre-canned" approach of Futaba, and so
it requires a learning period if you're coming from that side. However, IMMO the learning curve is no steeper than for Futaba (my previous radios where a Futaba 9CAP and a Futaba TG8S). Add to that the ability
to use Companion9X on my PC to do most if not all of the programming, rather than fumbling across the menus on the (relatively speaking) tiny screen on the radio itself is a big plus. So in terms of user friendliness Companion9X alone pushes OpenTx above the competition. DO not take my words for it. You can download it for yourself and check it out. No need to have the radio.
2) The FrSky RF link is an original implementation of Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum. They did not invent FHSS, but neither did Futaba/JR nor Spektrum. The idea goes back to WWII and it
is basically implemented in various guises in any WiFi router and cell phone out there. Kudos to Spectrum to adapt it to RC needs, but I doubt that broadcasting a few hundred bytes every 20 ms or so requires much R&D effort.
3) Taranis is a very flexible platform. I can stick any number of RF modules in the back and have it to talk to virtually any modern receiver out there. I can have a discussion with the programmers of OpenTx to report bugs and request/suggest improvements.
4) Is Taranis perfect: Heck no! There are quirks such as the (in)famous buzz on the loudspeaker, the battery provided could be better, and the plastic case (at least for my radio) could have
used some better QC, but I can leave with these things.

Bottom line, stop treating the big radios as if they were the saviours of the hobby. If anything, in technology more often than not real innovation comes from the little guys, before they become big guys as Spektrum did. In fact, I wonder how many people raised an eyebrow or two when this thing called Spektrum with their tiny antennas came to the field....
Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 PM
bth9318
My Feedback: (24)

Originally Posted by ululi1970
A few comments:
1) OpenTx is not a copy of Futaba/JR/Spektrum. It is an original development inspired by the Multiplex approach.
As for user friendliness, it is different than the "pre-canned" approach of Futaba, and so
it requires a learning period if you're coming from that side. However, IMMO the learning curve is no steeper than for Futaba (my previous radios where a Futaba 9CAP and a Futaba TG8S). Add to that the ability
to use Companion9X on my PC to do most if not all of the programming, rather than fumbling across the menus on the (relatively speaking) tiny screen on the radio itself is a big plus. So in terms of user friendliness Companion9X alone pushes OpenTx above the competition. DO not take my words for it. You can download it for yourself and check it out. No need to have the radio.
2) The FrSky RF link is an original implementation of Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum. They did not invent FHSS, but neither did Futaba/JR nor Spektrum. The idea goes back to WWII and it
is basically implemented in various guises in any WiFi router and cell phone out there. Kudos to Spectrum to adapt it to RC needs, but I doubt that broadcasting a few hundred bytes every 20 ms or so requires much R&D effort.
3) Taranis is a very flexible platform. I can stick any number of RF modules in the back and have it to talk to virtually any modern receiver out there. I can have a discussion with the programmers of OpenTx to report bugs and request/suggest improvements.
4) Is Taranis perfect: Heck no! There are quirks such as the (in)famous buzz on the loudspeaker, the battery provided could be better, and the plastic case (at least for my radio) could have
used some better QC, but I can leave with these things.

Bottom line, stop treating the big radios as if they were the saviours of the hobby. If anything, in technology more often than not real innovation comes from the little guys, before they become big guys as Spektrum did. In fact, I wonder how many people raised an eyebrow or two when this thing called Spektrum with their tiny antennas came to the field....
Well said. Some of these people think rc tx software is up there with he software on the space shuttle. ITS NOT. Very little spent on r&d and more spent on making 12 different models starting from 4 channels to 18 channels and doubling the price everytime they add a few channels which only adds a few dollars to the manufacturing process. Why don't they start at 9 channels then got to 12 then 16 then 18 and stop charging the rediculous prices for these radios?
Old 01-25-2014, 01:50 AM
BaldEagel

Just a few comments to clear up incorrect statements in the above, Spektrum did not adapt FHSS for RC, their system lock's onto two channels on the 2.4Ghz band and stays there, Futaba on the other hand used and are continue to use FHSS to control remote vehicles in the nuclear and construction industry since the 70's.

Would be very interested to see the WWII system of FHSS.

Can't remember the model type, but think it was a seven channel Futaba radio that could be upgraded to 14 channels with a free software download, so not all can be tarred with the same brush.

MIke
Old 01-25-2014, 05:14 AM
ululi1970

Just a few comments to clear up incorrect statements in the above, Spektrum did not adapt FHSS for RC, their system lock's onto two channels on the 2.4Ghz band and stays there, Futaba on the other hand used and are continue to use FHSS to control remote vehicles in the nuclear and construction industry since the 70's.

Can't remember the model type, but think it was a seven channel Futaba radio that could be upgraded to 14 channels with a free software download, so not all can be tarred with the same brush.

MIke
I did not want to get too technical, but DSSS and FHSS are different implementation of Spread Spectrum (SS) techniques, which have been around
for a long time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_spectrum). I was aware that Futaba (their industrial side) was involved with SS since the '70s.
It is telling that they were not the ones that brought SS to RC, even though they had been sitting on the technology for years. Evidently, big brother did not think that we kids should meddle with the tools used by the "grown ups". Don't get me wrong, FASST is a good solid link, by all account more robust than DSM2, but ask yourself if Futaba would have ever brought it to RC if Spektrum had not come up with DMS2 and people bought it in droves?

Again, I like Futaba, I was a Futaba guy, but I do not think Futaba having necessarily the good of the hobby at the core of its mission. Making money with proven techniques - heavy marketing, slicing and splicing the offering as BTH9318 remarked, coming up with slightly different but incompatible protocols (FASST, SHFSS or whatever) to further fragment the market, this is what they do best.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:34 AM
bth9318
My Feedback: (24)

MIke
So what your saying is they sat on the technololgy for thirty yrs so they could keep charging the government big dollars.can imagine what the government paid for a 8ch spread spectrum radio in 1975? And keep selling us out dated technology at inflated prices. I also believe that that14 chanel upgrade was not to a true 14 channels but could be be wrong on that. Also I'm not. Saying it was just futaba the others where right there in bed with them.

Last edited by bth9318; 01-25-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:25 PM
BaldEagel

How did the government get in on this? and you are wrong and right on the 14 channel upgrade it was 12 proportional channels and 2 switched channels all free for a 7 channel TX by download.

Still waiting to see the WWII FHSS system.

Mike
Old 01-28-2014, 01:00 AM
jescardin

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MULTIPLEX has always been a quality brand and even I started RC flying with a MULTIPLEX Profi in 1980!.

Aside from this and related to MULTIPLEX software connection to OpenTx it has to be said that MULTIPLEX software has been arround for quite a time and think we all will agree that never got the popularity of FUTABA nor JR. Why now it will be different for FrSky?.

Probably, the RC software future should be a combination of both ideas: preprogrammed setups and mixes for general use and a Companion9X type PC software for advenced users making their own personal setups, mixes and configurations.

Best Regards,

Jesus Cardin
Old 01-28-2014, 04:06 AM
FSki

Originally Posted by jescardin

Aside from this and related to MULTIPLEX software connection to OpenTx it has to be said that MULTIPLEX software has been arround for quite a time and think we all will agree that never got the popularity of FUTABA nor JR. Why now it will be different for FrSky?.

Jesus Cardin
I don't think there is any connection between the Multiplex software (and Multiplex have several different systems anyway) just that the system Open tx have developed is similar to program to the old Profi 4000, and therein lies the answer, if the Taranis had been a higher end product (i.e. not a recycled transmitter case) with accompanying price then people may not taken the time to learn or "discover" Open Tx and it would only have appealed to those who want, and are prepared to learn, the programming sophistication and complexity of Open Tx.

Was a sound marketing move by FrSky, attract them with the price and provide an operating system developed and supported by others, so you don't have to have that capability.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:34 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

How did the government get in on this? and you are wrong and right on the 14 channel upgrade it was 12 proportional channels and 2 switched channels all free for a 7 channel TX by download.

Mike
http://www.women-inventors.com/Hedy-Lammar.asp patent awarded 1941

Last edited by 4*60; 01-28-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:24 AM
myersflyers
My Feedback: (33)

Originally Posted by 4*60
amazing whats can be learned by meaningful discussion!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 03:55 AM
BaldEagel

Well that is the Spread Spektrum taken care of, not to detract from Hedy Lammar's invention, but ululi1970 when during the second world war did Frequency Hopping Spread Spektrum come in?

Mike
Old 01-29-2014, 06:51 AM
ululi1970

In fact FHSS is even older! From the wikipedia page on Spread Spectrum

"On March 17, 1903, Nicola Tesla was granted a patent for a system of frequency hopping between two or more channels to prevent communications being blocked. In 1908 Jonathan Zenneck wrote Wireless Telegraphy, which expanded on this concept. Starting in 1915, Zenneck's system was used by Germany to secure battle field communications."

Ironically, Tesla was interested in using radio waves for remote control. He built the first remote controlled model ship (
http://www.teslasociety.com/radio.htm)

The bottom line is that techniques to share a portion of the spectrum between different users without the need of a centralized control system to assign channels (the old impound board) have been around for a long, long time. So accusing brand X of stealing ideas from brand Y in this field is untenable.

BTW, there are Open source/ Open Hardware implementations of SS for long range transmission as well
https://code.google.com/p/openlrs/

People may debate if having LR stuff is good or bad, but it cannot be denied that innovation once again comes from the little guys....
Old 01-29-2014, 07:40 AM
hfb

Anything you can find in any technology is built on the previous work of many others. The patents awarded today are all covering work done by others. All consumer goods advertising is guilty of Hyperbole.
Some exageration must be expected. Color film photography was "invented" at least three times. Frequency Agility is another way to say the same thing and was used on allied radar in WW2.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:25 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I've just completed programming my Schweighofer Curare onto the Taranis, using Hanno Prettner's set-up. Triple rates on elevator and aileron each with a different expo and different differential on aileron and assymmetric up/down travel on the ele, dual rates rudder, snap-flap both up and down, flap to ele trim offset etc etc. Very easy to do, the best bit is the voice announcements, each time I flick the spring loaded switch the Taranis calls out the next manoeuvre in the schedule for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.