Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Interesting New Transmitter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Interesting New Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Harry any chance of sharing that set up with us?

Mike
Old 01-29-2014, 08:52 AM
keyman
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe its just me but I would rather have a $200 tx and a great protocol like Frsky then a $1000 tx with a pos protocol. I feel bad for all the pilots with crashes caused by a bad protocol and it was blamed on pilot error when it was clearly not so.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BaldEagel
Harry any chance of sharing that set up with us?

Mike
The table of hanno's set-up, or the taranis eepe?
Old 01-29-2014, 10:44 AM
BaldEagel

The taranis eepe if possible, thanks in great anticipation.

Mike
Old 01-29-2014, 01:46 PM
HarryC

download curare.zip and change extension to eepe
[ATTACH]1963266[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: zip
curare.zip (77.0 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by HarryC; 01-29-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:09 PM
HarryC

ha! the moment I uploaded that file, I thought of an improvement to it. Can you spot the extra line in this version?!!
[ATTACH]1963268[/IMG]

Channel 1 is throttle
ch2 is left aileron
ch 3 is elevator
ch 4 rudder
ch5 right aileron
ch6 retracts
ch7 flap
ch8 steering

SA switches high, medium, low rates.
SF is retracts
SE is flap
SD- is snapflap on

the difference between version 1 and version 2 is that version 2 has an extra line in the elevator mix which is a copy of the hi rate line but the switch is changed to SD- which is the snapflap on state and the multiplex is changed to replace so that it overwrites whatever rate SA is giving. Thus no matter which rate is active, if I switch on snapflap the elevator goes to high rate, when I switch snapflap off the elevator goes back to whichever rate SA is at.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
curare 2.zip (77.0 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by HarryC; 01-29-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:27 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

JR and Futaba both sell; good, better and best in their entire product line. Things made in China are inexpensive because of labor cost and the materials they use. A good example is a JR servo lead and a Chinese clone. People are mentioning the cost of JR and Futaba radios' getting more expensive when the truth is our dollar is losing value on the world trade market. Have you not noticed the price of an ARF is also increasing?
Old 01-29-2014, 09:34 PM
BaldEagel

Thanks Harry very useful will upload and give it a whirl.

Mike
Old 01-30-2014, 12:09 AM
HarryC

Mike you mentioned having trouble programming a eurofighter, with unwanted interaction on the canard. If you attach the file here I can take a look at it for you.
H
Old 01-30-2014, 02:40 AM
BaldEagel

Harry I am not having that much trouble, I was just saying it was not as easy as the poster questioning me was making out, thanks for the curare by the way, not a Eurofighter a Rookie with vectored thrust and it was just an experiment, I will not be flying with the Taranis that's the reserve of my 14MZ.

Mike
Old 02-19-2014, 09:18 AM
MMatheny

Get ready for the NEXT big thing in OpenTX - ver. 2.0 is just around the corner and will blow ALL RC programming systems out of the water. Heck, the LUA interpreter is unmatched by itself!
https://github.com/opentx/opentx/issues/milestones
Old 02-19-2014, 09:37 AM
Jeti USA

No it will not, one day you have to start spending money on Hardware.

Jeti for 2014:
New Stabilization System
New Central Boxes 100, 200, 400
New DS-16 White Radio
New MVario 2 with TEK and BEC shut down
New Power Switch 200 and 100
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	x21 POwer Switch.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	496.6 KB
ID:	1970118   Click image for larger version

Name:	x20 MFlow Sensor.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	626.1 KB
ID:	1970119   Click image for larger version

Name:	x17 Main Switch.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	986.4 KB
ID:	1970120   Click image for larger version

Name:	x12 Sensor Assist.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	654.2 KB
ID:	1970121   Click image for larger version

Name:	9 Radio Inside.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	1970122   Click image for larger version

Name:	8 Jeti Radios.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	1970123   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 Hacker Integration.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	1970124   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 Show Side Panel.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	472.3 KB
ID:	1970125  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Central Box 100 200 400.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1970126   Click image for larger version

Name:	x13 Screen Assist.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1970127   Click image for larger version

Name:	x10 Radio DS-14 DS16.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	1970128  

Last edited by Jeti USA; 02-19-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:16 AM
MMatheny

I was referring to the PROGRAMMING of the TX - not the guts nor the optional accessories. There are current, power, altitude, airspeed, stabilization etc. add-ons that work with FrSky systems also. Thanx for the pictures though.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:26 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Good to see you over here Mike

Ken
Old 02-19-2014, 12:10 PM
jetster81

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
No it will not, one day you have to start spending money on Hardware.

Jeti for 2014:
New Stabilization System
New Central Boxes 100, 200, 400
New DS-16 White Radio
New MVario 2 with TEK and BEC shut down
New Power Switch 200 and 100
Me thinks he proteths too much!! , sounds like a worried man to me. What other reason to come on this Frysky Taranis thread trying to promote Jeti gear?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:50 PM
Beerwiser

Originally Posted by jetster81
Me thinks he proteths too much!! , sounds like a worried man to me. What other reason to come on this Frysky Taranis thread trying to promote Jeti gear?
LMAO, couldn't agree more. I guess the fact that taranis is constantly out of stock even with the new factory has jeti wonder what they are doing wrong.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:51 PM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

Originally Posted by Beerwiser
LMAO, couldn't agree more. I guess the fact that taranis is constantly out of stock even with the new factory has jeti wonder what they are doing wrong.
Doing wrong isn't that obvious. They are charging way too much for their radio
Old 02-20-2014, 03:55 AM
Xairflyer

Originally Posted by Jetflyer3000
Doing wrong isn't that obvious. They are charging way too much for their radio
They obviously believe if futaba can charge it, so can we, there are plenty of guys out there who think if you spend more it is better, look at the crazy price of the 18MZ and all the idiots that bought it, apart from their colour screen it is now out of date compared to the Taranis

Last edited by Xairflyer; 02-20-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:25 AM
kaziki

I read through this thread, and the FUD that certain people are spreading about the Taranis is amazing. Lines like "try to get service" and "try to get parts" keep appearing. The come from people who neither know, nor try to find out the truth. Aloft hobbies is the prime FrSky distributor in the US. They provide quick warranty service for peplle who want to send in their transmitter. The also will send out the needed part to anyone who wants to change out the part themselves. Aloft carries every part in the transmitter. Not all are listed on the web site, but a quick phone call is all it takes to get an unlisted part.

I read the term "clone" a number of times. The Taranis isn't a clone of anything. FrSky developed their frequency hopping RF gear years ago at a time when Spektrum was telling anyone who would listen that there was nothing wrong with DSM. That same technology is in the RF module in the Taranis. It has years of proven service by tens of thousands of users. OpenTX has also been out for years. It keeps improving, fixing reported problems, and adding requested features. The firmware for the RF module is not open source. The RF code is all FrSky. The wrote and maintain it. Updates to the RF firmware are issued by FrSky if and when needed. both the transmitter and the RF firmware can be updated by the user, if the user chooses. The user can also go back to previous firmware if they like.

FrSky listens to their customers. Imagine that. Customers complained that they did not like the way the original gimbals centered. FrSky responded by coming out with new gimbals that they provided free of charge to Taranis owners. Yes, they would install them for you , if you wanted to send the transmitter to a local distributor. The sliders on the sides of the Taranis are crap. They are cheap Chinese junk. FrSky have come out with new sliders which will be on the new Taranis+. The sliders are in the hands of beta testers now, and should be availe for purchase soon. First reports are that the new sliders are top notch. I'll be upgrading mine as soon as I can. I just wish I could update the sliders on my JR radios. They are almost as bad as the Taranis. Strangely enough, JR never improved the sliders in all the years they sold 9303/9503 radios. The new FrSky variometers that came out were supposed to be "high precision" , but they gave less than satisfactory precision in the telemetry. The current firmware update for the vario fixes the problem. Now the vario is accurate to .1 meter. Yep, the sensors, and receivers firmware can be updated just like the transmitter.

The companion9x software makes it possible to simulate the transmitter and to see exactly what the transmitter will output to the servos before ever putting the software in an aircraft. The state of every software switch and custom function are visible both on the computer software and on the transmitter. Not checking out the radio settings, or changes to settings on an aircraft before flying is a recipe for disaster no matter whose equipment you use.

I got my Taranis late, so only one of my sailplanes is on it so far. The vario is nice, but I prefer the nice lady who tells me the rate of climb every 10 seconds, and current altitude every 15. She also warns me of my throttle switch being armed, the throttle not being at zero on thansmitter power up, low battery conditions, and a whole host of other things. I can adjust the volume as I like, and shut her up entirely if I want. The FrSky RF section is practically bullet proof (as reported by independent testers). Specking out my sailplane had no appreciable impact on the reported RSSI (received signal strength indication), so transmitter power is not an issue either.

All in all I'm happy with the Taranis. I expect to put FrSky receivers in a number of my planes, but I won't toss out my JR equipment any time soon. I don't like programming so much, that I want to reprogram 30 airplanes. For that matter some of my planes are micros. Why even consider reprogramming them.

I, like many others, did not get a Taranis for the price. I got it because it would let me use every, gimbal, switch, pot, or slider to do what I wanted it to do. The frustration with the programming of my Hitec and JR radios made me want the Taranis. The price only got me to buy one in the first year it was out. Otherwise I would have waited and let others find out any problems for me.

OK Jeti lovers, tell me how much better your Ferrari is than my Chevy. I'll bet yours goes faster too. I don't care. You can love your radio, and be comforted by the fact that it's price makes it better than the rest. Nothing I or anyone else says will change that, nor do they need to. I am just tired of all the unmitigated crap that has been spread in this thread. I have a rule I follow: Believe less than half of what a vendor says about their product, and nothing of what they say about their competition. I spent 30 years testing computer and telecommunications hardware for a Fortune 10 company. No vendor in those 30 years gave me a reason to change that rule.

Roger
Old 02-20-2014, 11:36 AM
jetster81

Originally Posted by kaziki
I read through this thread, and the FUD that certain people are spreading about the Taranis is amazing. Lines like "try to get service" and "try to get parts" keep appearing. The come from people who neither know, nor try to find out the truth. Aloft hobbies is the prime FrSky distributor in the US. They provide quick warranty service for peplle who want to send in their transmitter. The also will send out the needed part to anyone who wants to change out the part themselves. Aloft carries every part in the transmitter. Not all are listed on the web site, but a quick phone call is all it takes to get an unlisted part.

I read the term "clone" a number of times. The Taranis isn't a clone of anything. FrSky developed their frequency hopping RF gear years ago at a time when Spektrum was telling anyone who would listen that there was nothing wrong with DSM. That same technology is in the RF module in the Taranis. It has years of proven service by tens of thousands of users. OpenTX has also been out for years. It keeps improving, fixing reported problems, and adding requested features. The firmware for the RF module is not open source. The RF code is all FrSky. The wrote and maintain it. Updates to the RF firmware are issued by FrSky if and when needed. both the transmitter and the RF firmware can be updated by the user, if the user chooses. The user can also go back to previous firmware if they like.

FrSky listens to their customers. Imagine that. Customers complained that they did not like the way the original gimbals centered. FrSky responded by coming out with new gimbals that they provided free of charge to Taranis owners. Yes, they would install them for you , if you wanted to send the transmitter to a local distributor. The sliders on the sides of the Taranis are crap. They are cheap Chinese junk. FrSky have come out with new sliders which will be on the new Taranis+. The sliders are in the hands of beta testers now, and should be availe for purchase soon. First reports are that the new sliders are top notch. I'll be upgrading mine as soon as I can. I just wish I could update the sliders on my JR radios. They are almost as bad as the Taranis. Strangely enough, JR never improved the sliders in all the years they sold 9303/9503 radios. The new FrSky variometers that came out were supposed to be "high precision" , but they gave less than satisfactory precision in the telemetry. The current firmware update for the vario fixes the problem. Now the vario is accurate to .1 meter. Yep, the sensors, and receivers firmware can be updated just like the transmitter.

The companion9x software makes it possible to simulate the transmitter and to see exactly what the transmitter will output to the servos before ever putting the software in an aircraft. The state of every software switch and custom function are visible both on the computer software and on the transmitter. Not checking out the radio settings, or changes to settings on an aircraft before flying is a recipe for disaster no matter whose equipment you use.

I got my Taranis late, so only one of my sailplanes is on it so far. The vario is nice, but I prefer the nice lady who tells me the rate of climb every 10 seconds, and current altitude every 15. She also warns me of my throttle switch being armed, the throttle not being at zero on thansmitter power up, low battery conditions, and a whole host of other things. I can adjust the volume as I like, and shut her up entirely if I want. The FrSky RF section is practically bullet proof (as reported by independent testers). Specking out my sailplane had no appreciable impact on the reported RSSI (received signal strength indication), so transmitter power is not an issue either.

All in all I'm happy with the Taranis. I expect to put FrSky receivers in a number of my planes, but I won't toss out my JR equipment any time soon. I don't like programming so much, that I want to reprogram 30 airplanes. For that matter some of my planes are micros. Why even consider reprogramming them.

I, like many others, did not get a Taranis for the price. I got it because it would let me use every, gimbal, switch, pot, or slider to do what I wanted it to do. The frustration with the programming of my Hitec and JR radios made me want the Taranis. The price only got me to buy one in the first year it was out. Otherwise I would have waited and let others find out any problems for me.

OK Jeti lovers, tell me how much better your Ferrari is than my Chevy. I'll bet yours goes faster too. I don't care. You can love your radio, and be comforted by the fact that it's price makes it better than the rest. Nothing I or anyone else says will change that, nor do they need to. I am just tired of all the unmitigated crap that has been spread in this thread. I have a rule I follow: Believe less than half of what a vendor says about their product, and nothing of what they say about their competition. I spent 30 years testing computer and telecommunications hardware for a Fortune 10 company. No vendor in those 30 years gave me a reason to change that rule.

Roger
Roger that Roger ! well said.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:24 PM
Rob2160

Good post Kaziki, shame we can't score them anymore, I'd give you +5 for that.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:46 PM
punkindrublik

Originally Posted by jetster81
Roger that Roger ! well said.
Amen!
Old 02-20-2014, 02:58 PM
BaldEagel

Oh dear, all you are doing is giving more ammunition to the detractors, just ignore them, they will get fed up and go away.

Mike
Old 02-20-2014, 10:47 PM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

[QUOTE=Xairflyer;11741200r, look at the crazy price of the 18MZ and all the idiots that bought it,[/QUOTE]

A lot of pilots at the Swiss World Masters were using the Futaba 18mz, it was a very popular radio with real experts in this hobby. They were, to a man, far from idiots, flying superb models, prepared and flown to the highest standards.

Perhaps you should desist from such crass and pointless comments and help raise the standards of discussion on RCU.

David.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:19 AM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're wasting your time David.

m

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.