Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Interesting New Transmitter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Interesting New Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 03:30 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
A lot of pilots at the Swiss World Masters were using the Futaba 18mz, it was a very popular radio with real experts in this hobby. They were, to a man, far from idiots, flying superb models, prepared and flown to the highest standards.

Perhaps you should desist from such crass and pointless comments and help raise the standards of discussion on RCU.

David.
Surprised David you looking at this post, being mainly for the humble flyers, but with a transmitter getting this much attention it obviously attracts everyone even weakcronic promoters.
And my post was being idots to spend that sort of money, on a way over priced product, you can still hear the laughing coming out of the Futaba marketing office.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:54 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I love my Taranis, but at the moment I feel well justified in my caution at not putting a Frsky system in my jets, yet.
One Frsky Rx I bought passed range check but then went faulty in the air about half way through a flight and started failsafing every few seconds, I got the model down ok and then it failed a range check. In 35 years of model flying I have never had an Rx go faulty until this.
Then last weekend my Curare went into failsafe for a second or two, less than 50 yards from me, at a height of about 6 feet at full speed, which was a bit of a buttock clencher. Is this another Rx with something dodgy in it's components or build? It passed a subsequent range check. it will be a long time yet until I trust Frsky quality enough to put it in a jet, which is a pity because the OpenTx/Companion software is brilliant and 32 channels is always handy!
The next software upgrade due soon seriously extends its capabilities even further

Last edited by HarryC; 02-21-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:57 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Harry

Where these the latest incarnation of the Rx's or older ones, I had the older Futaba compatible ones and they did not like high powered EDF.

Mike
Old 02-21-2014, 08:16 AM
HarryC

New, the first one was bought from T9 last July, the one in the Curare is a V8 8 channel bought last month from T9.

Programming the multiple rates and mixes and differentials for the Curare was so good in the Taranis, and every time I flip the spring loaded switch the Taranis announces the next manouevre in the aerobatic schedule! Utterly brilliant.

Last edited by HarryC; 02-21-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:30 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Xairflyer
Surprised David you looking at this post, being mainly for the humble flyers, but with a transmitter getting this much attention it obviously attracts everyone even weakcronic promoters.
And my post was being idots to spend that sort of money, on a way over priced product, you can still hear the laughing coming out of the Futaba marketing office.
Personally I judge my electronics by their capabilities and people by their actions and comments. The only REAL idiots are the ones the judge others by the radios that they own and that works both ways.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Xairflyer

Originally Posted by HarryC
I love my Taranis, but at the moment I feel well justified in my caution at not putting a Frsky system in my jets, yet.
One Frsky Rx I bought passed range check but then went faulty in the air about half way through a flight and started failsafing every few seconds, I got the model down ok and then it failed a range check. In 35 years of model flying I have never had an Rx go faulty until this.
Then last weekend my Curare went into failsafe for a second or two, less than 50 yards from me, at a height of about 6 feet at full speed, which was a bit of a buttock clencher. Is this another Rx with something dodgy in it's components or build? It passed a subsequent range check. it will be a long time yet until I trust Frsky quality enough to put it in a jet, which is a pity because the OpenTx/Companion software is brilliant and 32 channels is always handy!
The next software upgrade due soon seriously extends its capabilities even further
I have been using Frsky now for over three years and this is the first time I have heard of anyone having a problem like this.
If you done a range check and did'nt switch everything off & on again you may still have been in range check mode, I discovered this back when I first started using the modules, pressing the button again did not necessarily bring it back into full range mode, you need to switch everything off and back on again to be certain.

I personally only use the telemetry receivers, it will warn you when you are in low range, or in flight a poor area where just changing the rx aerial positions in the model will make all the difference.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:08 AM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

[QUOTE=

Perhaps you should desist from such crass and pointless comments and help raise the standards of discussion on RCU.

David.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you might also think of doing the same David
Old 02-21-2014, 02:24 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

2 different RX did this?
Old 02-21-2014, 02:47 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the first time I've heard of a FrsKy getting hit < 100 feet....

Range check on the old FrsKys RX's were 2.3KM los....

I've had a brown out in a FrSky and it caught signal in miliseconds ....

Was this an RX with bat and RSSI?

regards
Old 02-21-2014, 03:48 PM
Xairflyer

Originally Posted by mr_matt
2 different RX did this?
A range check may have been done on both before hand and so same problem.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Beerwiser

Just my two cents, but what ever brand you use should be thoroughly tested in a cheaper model before placing it in your pride and glory.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 PM
BaldEagel

One thing to think about is the environment the Rx's that have been a problem are in, and I am not talking about the airframe, in the UK we have a very densely populated island with communication towers criss crossing the land from one end to the other, I have been told by a BT engineer that these towers periodically blast out microwave emissions, if ever a environment was going to find a weakness in our radio's the UK has it, on our field by the Medway and Thames the said communication towers radiate over two corners of our flying site, these areas are prone to interference periodically during the day, the only Rx's that do not suffer greatly from this are hopping 2.4Ghz and even then the Orange Futaba compatible Rx's could not cope.

Mike
Old 02-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Xairflyer

Originally Posted by Beerwiser
Just my two cents, but what ever brand you use should be thoroughly tested in a cheaper model before placing it in your pride and glory.
My old prangster is used to test all my receivers even the top of the range JR PCM ones back in the good old days, same with most things when they are new you never know!
Old 02-22-2014, 06:59 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BaldEagel
One thing to think about is the environment the Rx's that have been a problem are in, and I am not talking about the airframe, in the UK we have a very densely populated island with communication towers criss crossing the land from one end to the other, I have been told by a BT engineer that these towers periodically blast out microwave emissions, if ever a environment was going to find a weakness in our radio's the UK has it, on our field by the Medway and Thames the said communication towers radiate over two corners of our flying site, these areas are prone to interference periodically during the day, the only Rx's that do not suffer greatly from this are hopping 2.4Ghz and even then the Orange Futaba compatible Rx's could not cope.

Mike
Wait do these things not frequency hop? Is it like old Spektrum DSM?

Does this problem have anything to do with the bad pots they had in the TX?
Old 02-22-2014, 08:48 PM
A10FLYR

Yes Matt, they do hop...no they are not like the "old Spektrum". I have been following the FrSky from almost day one, never heard anything about any bad pots.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:52 PM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Wait do these things not frequency hop? Is it like old Spektrum DSM?

Does this problem have anything to do with the bad pots they had in the TX?
Nothing wrong with DSM2
Old 02-23-2014, 01:51 AM
jetster81

Harry, did you find a solution for this problem yet?
Old 02-23-2014, 02:25 AM
HarryC

Originally Posted by jetster81
Harry, did you find a solution for this problem yet?
No. The first one, a 4 channel went faulty on its second flight and T9 replaced it. The 8 channel in the curare has not shown any faults, the failsafe event was on the third flight and close by. It remains unexplained, a subsequent range check was well over minimum spec. The next flight had no problems.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:36 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ha! the moment I uploaded that file, I thought of an improvement to it. Can you spot the extra line in this version?!!
[ATTACH]1963268[/IMG]

Channel 1 is throttle
ch2 is left aileron
ch 3 is elevator
ch 4 rudder
ch5 right aileron
ch6 retracts
ch7 flap
ch8 steering

SA switches high, medium, low rates.
SF is retracts
SE is flap
SD- is snapflap on

the difference between version 1 and version 2 is that version 2 has an extra line in the elevator mix which is a copy of the hi rate line but the switch is changed to SD- which is the snapflap on state and the multiplex is changed to replace so that it overwrites whatever rate SA is giving. Thus no matter which rate is active, if I switch on snapflap the elevator goes to high rate, when I switch snapflap off the elevator goes back to whichever rate SA is at.
----------------------------------
Harry,
I tried to rename your Curare 2 file and get a report is is corrupted. Has anyone else had problems. Since it is a small file could you email it direct to : [email protected]

Last edited by sidgates; 02-23-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:38 AM
HarryC

Originally Posted by sidgates
----------------------------------
Harry,
I tried to rename your Curare 2 file and get a report is is corrupted. Has anyone else had problems. Since it is a small file could you email it direct to : [email protected]
Hi Sid,
I just tried it from your quote and it worked, but the problem will be that you opened it rather than saved it, you probably have winzip installed on your pc and so the winzip program tried to open it and saw it was not really a zip file and it gives the "corrupted" report. I had to use zip because rcu will not accept eepe attachments, and it recognised it is not a jpg so it wouldn't allow that either.
Right click on the file and select "save as" to somewhere convenient e.g. desktop, then right click and "rename".

I have attached version 4 which has further changes.

1. Rate weights have been moved to sticks rather than mixes, since the weight in mixes works on the trim value and every time I changed rates, the trim changed.

2. Extra custom switches have been added so that when full ele and full rudder stick happen together, the rates go high for flicks and spins, as soon as at least one of ele or rudder comes off full stick the rates drop back to whichever rate the rate switch is at. This saves having to manually select high rate just for those manoeuvres. Rate switch can still select high rates manually if required.

3. Snap flap curve has been modified for up ele/down flap only, as the ele became too twitchy in both directions on the run in to a square loop and the inverted part. When I get round to it I will make a down ele/up flap curve for the switch down position.

[ATTACH]1971720[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: zip
curare 4.zip (77.0 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by HarryC; 02-24-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:41 AM
BaldEagel

Harry thanks for posting that, may use part of that set up for my DLG at least I will not have to programme everything.

Mike