Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pulse Jets " Days of Speed and Thunder "

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pulse Jets " Days of Speed and Thunder "

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:19 PM
V1jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good.Have a look on my Face Book photos.The fuel sprayer is hard to get right.The fuel has to come out of its tip like a garden sprinkler head then I use a spray bar with a 15 deg cut to steer the fuel back at 130-140 deg into the reeds and backing plate.I cut ribs in the backing plate to act like a radiator sucking out heat and it helps re-spray it again.The cuts in the backing plate I did with a 1.2mm disk in a 5inch angle grinder.It lets air in also and burns cleaner.Lets fuel hit the reeds better to to help them last longer.It ran last week with one reed snapped off & never has fire come out the front.I use a Oil Furnace Nozzle of 6.5GPH /90 Deg in the fuel injector but we need a simpler way to do this.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:26 PM
sdfhh

A forum dedicated to the "Days of Speed and Thunder" building and flying pulse jets
Old 01-22-2015, 09:37 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sdfhh
A forum dedicated to the "Days of Speed and Thunder" building and flying pulse jets
I second that. It is a unique interest and I feel it merits a special interest forum.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:53 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

What pulse jet rules are they changing?
I would hope that the maximum tailpipe size will be increased.
They also needed to clarify the turbine waiver requirements description. It was open to several different interpretations

Greg.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:48 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The tail pipe area is gone and replaced with a thrust limit. The whole Pulse Jet Pilot Declaration is gone. The new rules do not resemble the old ones much at all. I hope to have a copy of the official rules in the next few days to post. I am not 100% sure that my latest draft copy is 100% accurate and I do not want to post any bad info.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:57 AM
MJD

The rules are sensible, simple, and should please any pulsejet enthusiast or potential enthusiast out there - fear not. Be happy (Bobby McFerrin chime in here), plan ahead, and look forward to the AMA posting. Nothing will be released prior. Life is good..

Yeah I'm a Canuck, but I spent a lot of time in the past working on reciprocity between US and Canada on various hobby related regs, and it is great to see a team of people get together, make a sensible and logical application for change, and get it done (and offer some thoughts in the process). We are already aligned with turbine rules up here, it was a shame to see how strangled you guys were. And there are no logical reasons to be different, we all try to maim ourselves in the same manner.

Jeff - I rarely look at the bottom of RCU posts or at ID.. I just did and made the connection doh. I'm may be slow but I'm not fast..
Old 01-23-2015, 12:17 PM
j.duncker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sdfhh
My feeling is that there is a lot of interest amongst general Jet members and that a niche forum specifically for pulse jets would result in a reduction of ' views '.

After all I needs to know about PJH and his attempts to get airborne.

But if a straw poll suggests that is what you guys want I will see what I can do.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hopefully this shall spur PulseJetHarry onwards to achieve and finally, after far more than a decade, make me loose a PJH bet!!! Sadly however, he is in Atlanta for two years so nothing shall happen until 2017. He takes the decadel approach!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:35 PM
flyinfool1

The AMA got the new Pulse Jet rules up on the AMA website.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/510-q.pdf

[ATTACH]2067037[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
510-q.pdf (10.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 01-23-2015, 06:12 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by j.duncker
My feeling is that there is a lot of interest amongst general Jet members and that a niche forum specifically for pulse jets would result in a reduction of ' views '.

After all I needs to know about PJH and his attempts to get airborne.

But if a straw poll suggests that is what you guys want I will see what I can do.
Well, that's a good point, but.. if they know it is there they can add it to their My Forums and come play anytime. In the meantime the pulsejet enthusiasts can talk specifics on their own forum. Plus I think there are a few turbine folk who think pulsejets are the spawn of the underworld and might find too much joy in protesting?

Myself, I like forums dedicated to specific niches. After all, there are dozens of forums dedicated to various forms of prop driven aircraft - so why should there be only one all encompassing forum for "Jets"?
Old 01-24-2015, 04:05 PM
flyinfool1

I'm still split on the separate forum for pulse jets.
Yes I can see where it would be great to have all of the info in one place. Less likely to have trolls drifting thru.

But then I can also see where there will be increased traffic by being in the jet forum resulting in more exposure which hopefully will be a good thing for the future of PJ.

Had I not run across these threads in the jet forum and got a bug up my but, for pulse jets, I would have likely never found the PJ forum and got the bug bad enough to start the ball rolling to get the AMA to change the rules in the USA. Who knows how long it would have took for someone else to have started the ball rolling.

I do plan to take both my turbines and pulse jet to fun flies to help spur interest. I think that for quite a while I will be the only one in the area with a PJ.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:46 PM
V1jet

There does not seem to be any one perfect spot for RC Pulse Jets on the internet anywhere.Easy to down load photos being very important.
In Australia most RC clubs have 100 Decibel noise limit and PJ are way over this.Then only a Turbine pilot with PJ Endorsements can pass a RC Pulse jet to fly at all in a club.Much simper to fly Turbine Jets.I can fly Control Line Pulse Jets at one club only but cant stop admiring these Europe designed RC Pulse Jets.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:13 AM
flyinfool1

Well I do have a Super Scout and an ER100 and some odds and ends on order from Hubert. He is building the shipping box now. I hope to have it in my grubby little mitts by the end of March.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:23 AM
MJD

Ooh you went for the ER100. Cool. That combo will shake up the field a bit.

I got his last 140mm engine. Ships in 2-3 weeks. Had to have it.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:31 AM
flyinfool1

I figured for a first attempt this will get me into plenty of trouble.......

Hmmmmm.......

Ya think the neighbors will hear me now?
Old 03-13-2015, 06:31 AM
flyinfool1

Hmmmmm.......

Old 03-13-2015, 06:39 AM
V1jet

Sounds Good.I have two more ER90 motors and one more INFERNO coming to.You should get 15.4lbs static as you get it & 16.6 with my Cut reed idea and maybe as much as 18.5 static with cut reeds. Basically the fun now begins.My Inferno is rusting away right now from Aussie Dumb rules.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:51 AM
flyinfool1

I have the ER100 coming so it should be closer to 18 lbs stock out of the box.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:01 AM
MJD

Originally Posted by flyinfool1

Hmmmmm.......

Oh yeah, no worries there. They'll hear you and run for the hills, that's a potent package. The 140 has not been flown much, I saw a huge delta is all.